ADV dub - Star Trek references?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

ADV dub - Star Trek references?

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:35 am

I'm convinced that the ADV studio was sneaking Star Trek references into their dub. I suppose I just wanna know I'm not imagining it.
On at least a couple of occasions, Gendo responds, "make it so" (Captain Picard reference, of course) and I swear that Aoba appears to be doing a Captain Kirk impression during the briefing scene of the Ramiel episode!

As I've never gotten round to watching Star Trek, these are the only references I got and I could have missed a lot more for all I know.

Is it just me?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: ADV dub - Star Trek references?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:58 pm

Quite possibly. "Make it so" was popularized by Captain Picard, although I believe the quite itself comes from the Horatio Hornblower series of novels and was archetypical of what Royal Navy captains would say to their crew to get something done, complete with a godlike tone of authority.

Out of curiosity, what sort of Captain Kirk impression was the ADV dub Aoba doing? Speaking in Bill Shatner's distinctive way?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: ADV dub - Star Trek references?

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:08 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Out of curiosity, what sort of Captain Kirk impression was the ADV dub Aoba doing? Speaking in Bill Shatner's distinctive way?

Yes, it sounded like a parody of William Shatner to me.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”