Announcement! Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:46 am

I think that this short will end exactly when -120min begins...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:00 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Now, based on the name of the Eva (Evangelion 02 alpha Emergency Improvised Vehicle) we can assume It Is a model made after the events of 2.0 but before 3.0 (since there was the Eva 02 Beta) and combining this drawing with the announcement of this short, it's probably gonna be and action packed Little story that happened before 3.0 starter (probably scrapped material from the original movie, like (-120 Min) was.

There are two possibilities about that lantern and -46h: either -46h will be about someone telling a flashback of the events after 2.0 and the lantern was a teasing of the version of Unit 02 that will appear in it, or -46h is about something else entirely and the lantern is a teasing for another project.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:31 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostMr. M#937616 wrote:Now, based on the name of the Eva (Evangelion 02 alpha Emergency Improvised Vehicle) we can assume It Is a model made after the events of 2.0 but before 3.0 (since there was the Eva 02 Beta) and combining this drawing with the announcement of this short, it's probably gonna be and action packed Little story that happened before 3.0 starter (probably scrapped material from the original movie, like (-120 Min) was.

There are two possibilities about that lantern and -46h: either -46h will be about someone telling a flashback of the events after 2.0 and the lantern was a teasing of the version of Unit 02 that will appear in it, or -46h is about something else entirely and the lantern is a teasing for another project.

True, but the Unit 02 wasn't a simple drawing: It was a settei, something WIP in an Animation Project.
And Just 2 months later, this project Is announced.
I don't think It's a coincidence...
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:32 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:True, but the Unit 02 wasn't a simple drawing: It was a settei, something WIP in an Animation Project.
And Just 2 months later, this project Is announced.
I don't think It's a coincidence...

Indeed, but the title of that short is "Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)", which is the same name-scheming than the short canon manga "Evangelion: 3.0 (-120min)" which happens exactly two hours before the beginning of 3.0, so the most logical conclusion is that this short will take place 46 hours before the beginning of 3.0.

Now you're right that the Unit 02 in the lantern festival looks like a settei, hence the theory that -46h it might be a flash-back, since the 02 in the lantern festival is called "Emergency Improvised Vehicle", which all but state to be hasty repairs done right after 2.0, and I really doubt that it stayed that way for 14 years, unless they pull out a twist that operation US is the first time Asuka piloted in 14 years and 02 stayed in storage in "Emergency Improvised Vehicle" the whole time, but the way Asuka and Mari fight says that they've been fighting together for a long time.

The other theory being that this settei is for yet another animated project independent from -46h that will cover the events right after of 2.0.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:53 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:And once again Q proves itself as being the center piece of this whole tetralogy, you like it or not. It's as if everything orbits it somehow. Even more so than Shin (which, in itself, is a product of the previous movie and its themes, settings, concepts...)

I would argue that the centerpiece of the tetralogy is actually the absence of a movie in between 2.0 and 3.0.

Remember that we also got a "Next Time Preview" at the end of 2.0, containing scenes that could all have happened after 2.0, and nothing in the later movies suggests that they had not.

Additionally, there is the scenery in Tokyo-3 during the second half of 3.0 that gives us glimpses of massive and very specific destruction, but we never actually get to examine those shots closely. There is the mutilation of the landscape with what seems to be a face carved into it, an eyeless and dead Giant Naked Rei head in the old NERV command center, an impaled headless giant in Terminal Dogma alongside a dead Evangelion, and an apparently previously encountered Angel imprisoned inside that Evangelion.

And then there were actual flashback shots in 3.0+1.0 that depicted events that must have happened in that non-existent movie as well. From the top of my head:
  • Misato remembering saying goodbye to Kaji shortly before he went on a suicide mission to stop either Near-Third or Third Impact.
  • Kaworu remembering conversations he had with Kaji, with him seated at Gendo's desk as the apparent NERV commander, and Kaji standing at attention behind him, as the apparent NERV vice-commander.

This absent part of the story and its off-putting sense of alienation from the setting perfectly aligns with Shinji's experience, and it is a big driving force in his decisions in the later movies.
Last edited by Jornophelanthas on Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:54 am

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Remember that we also got a "Next Time Preview" at the end of 2.0, containing scenes that could all have happened after 2.0, and nothing in the later movies suggests that they had not.

That NTP is the source of so much grief, even more so before Anno admitted that it was the interlude story between 2.0 & 3.0. While I'm ultimately glad the debate had been undeniably settled regarding it's place in the lore, it didn't do much to help us put the pieces together.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:35 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:
  • Misato remembering saying goodbye to Kaji shortly before he went on a suicide mission to stop either Near-Third or Third Impact.

Kaji died to stop Third Impact, Kensuke says in the Spanish dub that he died to stop Near Third Impact, but that was an error of translation. Near Third Impact was indeed stopped by Kaworu in the stinger of 2.0.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:26 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Kaji died to stop Third Impact, Kensuke says in the Spanish dub that he died to stop Near Third Impact, but that was an error of translation. Near Third Impact was indeed stopped by Kaworu in the stinger of 2.0.

I guess the Spanish dub was confused due to Kensuke mentioning how terrible the consequences of the Near Third Impact were in other scenes. Instead, Kensuke only mentioned the Third Impact to explain Kaji's death.

The Near Third Impact was stopped (or paused) by Kaworu, but it seems there is still connection with the Third Impact betwen 2.0 and 3.0. I just want the writers to explain the connection.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:00 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:There are two possibilities about that lantern and -46h: either -46h will be about someone telling a flashback of the events after 2.0 and the lantern was a teasing of the version of Unit 02 that will appear in it, or -46h is about something else entirely and the lantern is a teasing for another project.

I hope it's the latter, because more projects = better IMO, but flashback is used quite a bit across NTE. Let's see:

1.0: Ritsuko's (?) flashback to Unit 00's berserk episode.
2.0: Kaji's flashback to 2nd Impact.
3.0 (-120min): Asuka's flashback to bento Shinji.
3.0: Shinji's quarters flashback to WILLE chewouts, Kaworu's flashback to NTI, Fuyutsuki's flashback to contact experiments.
3+1: Misato's flashbacks to NTI and 3rd Impact, all the instrumentality flashbacks.

There're probably a few more. Flashbacks being so pervasive it wouldn't surprise me if 3.0 (-46h) features one.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:37 pm

Sounds good, but realistically might not be very significant. It would most likely be a standalone type of story, which would not add anything.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:31 pm

Yeah, I don't expect this to carry much in the way of story significance. Will be glad to be proven wrong at least if it defies Q-120 mins and is actually good, but not getting my hopes up
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:08 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote: at least if it defies Q-120 mins and is actually good

:asuka_antabaka:

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:15 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Yeah, I don't expect this to carry much in the way of story significance. Will be glad to be proven wrong at least if it defies Q-120 mins and is actually good, but not getting my hopes up

NTE is so random in its consistency of quality that all I can hope for is the short to be at least JO level of quality. Better than HA, but not as good as Q or Shin's third act. All I want is for it to be at least better than -120 and Shin's second act. Otherwise, it will be atrocious.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:37 am

I don't think I agree that NTE itself is all over the place. My main problem with Q-120 is that it is painfully obvious that it was written without a lot of involvement from Anno, so it has nothing substantial to say
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:07 pm

It's not that surprising that -120min didn't had much to say, it was a 16-pages piece of extra merch for the last people going in theaters, so the only thing it did was confirming things that were already revealed in Q/Thrice (that Asuka was still pining for Shinji and felt her body monstrous and inhuman, and that Mari was doing her own benevolent manipulation behind everyone's back), the only "real" new information was the explanation on why Asuka had a tapped up plugsuit.

And since this shot will also be an extra, I don't expect it have groundbreaking revelations either.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:05 pm

well, my issue with Q-120 is that it did those things in the most boring, tropey and borderline disrespectful to the character way. But in either case, enough bitching about old things, I don't like the tendency of shittalking things before they are even out and at the end of the day am still excited to see whatever this will be.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:46 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostAxx°N N.#937545 wrote:I'm hoping for two things:

Fly on the wall insight into how the Wunder crew interact and deliberate. We got some in Thrice, but I crave another scene that makes them feel like a group of people with a history and with specific interpersonal dynamics, something like the backstage, hashing it all out, what are we going to do, Misato-in-a-ponytail kind of lived-in fodder that was in 1.0 and 2.0.

Any insight whatsoever into how Gendou and Fuyutsuki pumped out the tech horde. The concept of Rei factory slaves could end up being a surreal sight to actually see animated.

I would love to see either of these!

As a third option we could see a story featuring Asuka set in the village, that illuminates her relationship with Kenken and the rest of the villagers. Assuming pre-Unit 01 Wunder can travel at ordinary passenger jet speeds, there's plenty of time between -46h and -120min for it to fly her to the barges on the equator in the Pacific.

SPOILER: Show
Although almost none of this came to pass, lol, I did enjoy observing that -46h places Wunder on the equator in the Pacific two days before 3.0, after which we next see her somewhere much colder!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”