Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:23 am

So uh...is this gonna follow suite of some modern films and have English subs or are we scuppered and reliant on fansubs still?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:34 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:So uh...is this gonna follow suite of some modern films and have English subs or are we scuppered and reliant on fansubs still?

Reliant on fansubs are the most likely option. It isn't common that Japanese Blu-Ray for anime movies have English subs (in fact, I have never heard of this happening).

I heard International Blu-Ray could have dub and sub. However, this Blu-Ray would be in charge of non-Japanese companies.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:48 am

BTW, it says 3.0-46h is part of Disc 2 bonus features, which includes "other footage". It's probably more storyboards, animatics, that sort of stuff, maybe more making of. I recall the other movies had a lot of music videos and stuff, a few deleted scenes also in their DVDs. BUT some people are already speculating at additional footage for Shin itself though I wouldn't bet on a director's cut.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:32 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit#937527 wrote:So uh...is this gonna follow suite of some modern films and have English subs or are we scuppered and reliant on fansubs still?

Reliant on fansubs are the most likely option. It isn't common that Japanese Blu-Ray for anime movies have English subs (in fact, I have never heard of this happening).

It's actually becoming more common. Like the Weathering With You BD had English subs. And that was Toho too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:47 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit#937527 wrote:So uh...is this gonna follow suite of some modern films and have English subs or are we scuppered and reliant on fansubs still?

I heard International Blu-Ray could have dub and sub. However, this Blu-Ray would be in charge of non-Japanese companies.

Gundam has been doing it since Unicorn in like 2010 or whenever that was and the Fate/Stay Night trilogy from 2017-2021 did it as well. It's not exactly common practice but it's not unheard of.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:17 am

It's nice how they're going for additional content in order to compensate for the movie already being out in our homes for more than a year...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:12 pm

(Parenthesis on cinematic release)

Watched it on IMAX this afternoon. It was sooo worth it. Much more of the detail can be seen on screen. Practically every screw and bolt is visible on every scene! It's crazy! It enhaces the scale of everything: some of the battles, notably the Paris one, look spectacular.
Totally recommend it. They also gave a postcard with every ticket.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:01 pm

It's frustrating that the US is a 3 night fathom events (which, in my area, is usually the crappy screens in the back) sub-only showing while other countries are getting week long engagements in imax and the dub.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:27 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:It's frustrating that the US is a 3 night fathom events (which, in my area, is usually the crappy screens in the back) sub-only showing while other countries are getting week long engagements in imax and the dub.

Yeah, I went to one for Char's Counterattack and the picture quality was extremely bad. When I got home I popped in my bluray and it actually looked leagues better despite me not having the biggest or best TV at the time. I wouldn't even recommend going, honestly, it was that bad.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It's actually becoming more common. Like the Weathering With You BD had English subs. And that was Toho too.

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Gundam has been doing it since Unicorn in like 2010 or whenever that was and the Fate/Stay Night trilogy from 2017-2021 did it as well. It's not exactly common practice but it's not unheard of.

I have fancy Japanese 4k releases of the two Oshii GitS films, bought specifically because he oversaw the transfer and that they had English subs. Here's hopin'.
Après moi le déluge!

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 am

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:It's frustrating that the US is a 3 night fathom events (which, in my area, is usually the crappy screens in the back) sub-only showing while other countries are getting week long engagements in imax and the dub.

It's hit or miss; unfortunately I think it's directly correlated to the popularity of the title. When I saw the Frontier films the quality was rough and they started the movie 15 minutes into it and had to rewind!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:58 pm

Well, anime in general is a big thing in Latam. Mexico and Brazil alone equal the total spending and consumption of anime of the US. Plus, the Konnichiwa festival (the organizers of high-profile anime screenings) partner with Cinépolis, an international movie chain with screens across several countries. That alone lets them negotiate better and longer screening deals.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:23 am

I've pre-ordered the package which includes the limited-edition OST (like I've got for 3.33). It's from a supplier that doesn't ship internationally (CD Japan are acting as a proxy service for it), so sadly that means I don't get CD Japan's Kaworu keychain figure which I slightly fancied but a plaque of Shinji and Misato.

I reckoned that the UK Pound Sterling is going no place but down, so I'd do best ordering fast.

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:55 pm

Can't promise it's the same for everyone but in my area you can now buy tickets for the December screenings of Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 - Thrice Upon A Time at AMC theaters.

Purchased tickets for the showings on the 6th and the 11th.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:09 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Can't promise it's the same for everyone but in my area you can now buy tickets for the December screenings of Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 - Thrice Upon A Time at AMC theaters.

Purchased tickets for the showings on the 6th and the 11th.

Thanks! Just bought mine for the 11th. Not a single ticket has been sold for any of the three showings yet so I was first haha

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:14 am

Still not available for purchase at Fathom Events yet....

EDIT: But it IS available for purchase on AMC's main site!
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:40 pm

Apparently the main ADV folks are in the English dub for Shin Eva.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:39 pm

Okay, I made a post on the front page about the Bluray release. It is rather lengthy as it goes into detail about not just what the features are, but also what bonuses are beign offered at which stores and links to them. I hope this help all of those who wish to get it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:06 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:EDIT: But it IS available for purchase on AMC's main site!

Tickets purchased. :kaworu_thumbsup:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:04 am

GKids JUST announced for one night only Evangelion will play on IMAX screens on November 30th.

Guess I'm buying another ticket!

EDIT: Also of interest, I don't know if this is just GKids having a typo and used the wrong graphic but it's interesting this IMAX screening is 3.0+1.0 and NOT 3.0+1.01.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:40 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:GKids JUST announced for one night only Evangelion will playing on IMAX screens on November 30th.

Guess I'm buying another ticket!

EDIT: Also of interest, I don't know if this is just GKids having a typo and used the wrong graphic but it's interesting this IMAX screening is 3.0+1.0 and NOT 3.0+1.01.

Gosh darn it, I'm gonna have to cancel my sunday tickets to go to this screening to see it in IMAX! Doesn't specify Dub or Sub, but I'm guessing Sub.

Once again, thanks for the update!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”