Announcement! Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Announcement! Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:56 am

Figured I would create a thread for this topic for the discussion to be had here.

The home video release of Evangelion: 3.0+1.11 - Thrice Upon A Time has finally been dated for March 8, 2023. The two year anniversary of the film's original theatrical release. Some changes have been made to the film but there is no confirmation at the moment if these changes are all cosmetic or if they will include new sequences.

One thing that seemingly has been confirmed is the home video release will include a special feature called Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h) and this appears to be a new short film that is currently in production by artists at Khara. The more social orientated @khara_inc2 twitter account shared the following tweet with a picture of a script written by Hideaki Anno:

The rough ROUGH Google Translation of the Tweet reads:
"Shin Evangelion Theatrical Version"
EVANGELION :3 .0+1.11
Blu-ray & DVD
Released on March 8, 2023
https://evangelion.co.jp
Current,New bonus video "EVANGELION :3 .0 ( − 46h)" under construction
looking forward to!
#庵野秀明 This is a picture of the script used by the general director.

The script appears to be dated August 5, 2022 so if this document is what Anno is basing the short on then the movie has likely been in some form of production for two months now if not more. There's no idea yet of how long the short will be - if the script in the picture is the entire one then it doesn't appear to be a large story - and there's no real context provided as to who or what the short will be about but based on the naming similarity to the short manga Evangelion: 3.0 (-120 min) we can guess the short will probably be telling a story that takes place about 46 hours before the opening scene of Evangelion: 3.0 - You Can (Not) Redo.

The @khara_inc2 Twitter account appears to be crediting Hideaki Anno as "the General Director" - unless they mean someone else - so it's possible Anno is overseeing this production while he's in post production on Shin Kamen Rider which is also dated to release in Japan at some point in March 2023.

Discuss away!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Evangelion: 3.0 (-46h)

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:31 am

As people pointed out in the other thread (probably better to have it all moved?), this might be what they were hinting at with the weirdo fused Eva in the lantern festival. I hope this is character focused, but that'd seem to imply it's mostly action-packed. -120min was an interesting experiment, I did not like the way the characters were handed and it didn't fundamentally alter the story, but it swerved interpretations considerably, not unlike what the Director's Cuts did for NGE. This is also yet another instance wherein Khara, ahem, increases (and I don't mean retcon) the 3.0+1.0 release so far, which is an an interesting tendency, much to the contrary of all those people who kept insisting that the franchise was done and over forever.

A theory:

46+120min=48 hours.

Perhaps this short video (OVA?) is going to cover the two days before 3.0 and tie in directly to the prequel manga. It could show things preceding them even knowing about Shinji and Unit 01 being in space, probably something about the Wunder, maybe even how Wille acquired it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:31 am

It's Anno's copy of the script, which I guess doesn't mean he wrote it? We will see. But the naming scheme makes me think it's another Tsurumaki thing Anno oversaw.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:20 am

And once again Q proves itself as being the center piece of this whole tetralogy, you like it or not. It's as if everything orbits it somehow. Even more so than Shin (which, in itself, is a product of the previous movie and its themes, settings, concepts...)
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:22 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:As people pointed out in the other thread (probably better to have it all moved?), this might be what they were hinting at with the weirdo fused Eva in the lantern festival.

After Eva 08 + 02 from the original teaser at the end of 3.0 was dropped I guess Anno still really wanted to have an Android Kikaider Eva in there somehow
SPOILER: Show

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:07 am

∆ Defimitely reminds me of 8+2.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:53 pm

You think we'll ever get something like this explaining who or what Mari is? A short film like this would be perfect for something like that. Give us just enough information, but not too much.

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:23 pm

We already kinda do know who Mari is: it can be inferred with pretty high certainty that she was a scientist pretty high up in the NERV hierarchy who was directly involved with the development of the Evangelions. What is unclear is how Mari ended up in her current state.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:52 pm

I'm hoping for two things:

Fly on the wall insight into how the Wunder crew interact and deliberate. We got some in Thrice, but I crave another scene that makes them feel like a group of people with a history and with specific interpersonal dynamics, something like the backstage, hashing it all out, what are we going to do, Misato-in-a-ponytail kind of lived-in fodder that was in 1.0 and 2.0.

Any insight whatsoever into how Gendou and Fuyutsuki pumped out the tech horde. The concept of Rei factory slaves could end up being a surreal sight to actually see animated.
Après moi le déluge!

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:58 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:We already kinda do know who Mari is: it can be inferred with pretty high certainty that she was a scientist pretty high up in the NERV hierarchy who was directly involved with the development of the Evangelions. What is unclear is how Mari ended up in her current state.

Something like that though would not be apparent to the average fan. It's something you have to dig deep for and piece together from a whole bunch of analyses and discussions scattered throughout various internet forums. It would be cool to get to see some additional Mari content in animated format, as she could have used to more development than what we got.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:36 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:And once again Q proves itself as being the center piece of this whole tetralogy, you like it or not. It's as if everything orbits it somehow. Even more so than Shin (which, in itself, is a product of the previous movie and its themes, settings, concepts...)

This... is a very good point. I like the bold new direction they went with for Q, and Shin still is set in that same setting, almost like an extension of it.

Anno also did say he (at least for now) doesn't feel like adding anything more to the story *after* the ending in Shin, so he's trying to follow his word and fill in the gaps.

Thesufferingpumpkin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Thesufferingpumpkin » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:16 am

Using this mini feature as a plot device to explain events in the time skip would be a god send I think.

It would make khara able to do it without having a full blown production of the time skip meaning they can just fill in blanks and make fans feel a bit more resolved with the story and then go off and make other things.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:44 pm

∆ I'd be kinda disappointed if they use it for that tbh. I feel Rebuild said everything it needed too.
I hope it's just what the 3.0 (-120min.) manga was-fanservice.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:43 pm

I wonder if this is something they'll keep doing: releasing little mini-stories exploring the characters and events during the timeskip in different formats in bonuses or just like that.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:And once again Q proves itself as being the center piece of this whole tetralogy, you like it or not. It's as if everything orbits it somehow. Even more so than Shin (which, in itself, is a product of the previous movie and its themes, settings, concepts...)

Well, it's not surprising: Q is the movie where everything changed, and Anno's initial plan was to have Q and Thrice released back to back, and the early plan before that was to have the village be the second half of Q.

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Any insight whatsoever into how Gendou and Fuyutsuki pumped out the tech horde. The concept of Rei factory slaves could end up being a surreal sight to actually see animated.

Oh god I just had a though: what if Gendo and Fuyu did used the Rei factory slaves, and terminated them all just before activating Rei Q so she (and later Shinji) won't ask question? And they only kept the heads of those slaves to show them to Shinji later to break his mind? :cringe:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:32 pm

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:I'm hoping for two things:

Fly on the wall insight into how the Wunder crew interact and deliberate. We got some in Thrice, but I crave another scene that makes them feel like a group of people with a history and with specific interpersonal dynamics, something like the backstage, hashing it all out, what are we going to do, Misato-in-a-ponytail kind of lived-in fodder that was in 1.0 and 2.0.

Any insight whatsoever into how Gendou and Fuyutsuki pumped out the tech horde. The concept of Rei factory slaves could end up being a surreal sight to actually see animated.

I would love to see either of these!

As a third option we could see a story featuring Asuka set in the village, that illuminates her relationship with Kenken and the rest of the villagers. Assuming pre-Unit 01 Wunder can travel at ordinary passenger jet speeds, there's plenty of time between -46h and -120min for it to fly her to the barges on the equator in the Pacific.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Oh god I just had a though: what if Gendo and Fuyu did used the Rei factory slaves, and terminated them all just before activating Rei Q so she (and later Shinji) won't ask question? And they only kept the heads of those slaves to show them to Shinji later to break his mind? :cringe:

Well, that certainly creates a sensible timeline of events. :emogendo:

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:As a third option we could see a story featuring Asuka set in the village, that illuminates her relationship with Kenken and the rest of the villagers. Assuming pre-Unit 01 Wunder can travel at ordinary passenger jet speeds, there's plenty of time between -46h and -120min for it to fly her to the barges on the equator in the Pacific.

I was trying to think of what if anything in the village could get spotlight, and that's a good candidate. Alternatively, it could be something totally out of left-field and might be entirely focused on Kaji Jr.!
Après moi le déluge!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:30 pm

I hope its a single take, ten to 15 minute shot of Shinji sleeping in the Cube 2: Hypercube before getting rescued in the beginning of 3.0.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:22 am

Wow, my return after a few days away from EVANGELION was quite rewarding. I’m very curious to see what this “extra content” would be!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:51 pm

Sorry to be kinda of an hype stopper, but Anno at the Bon bori Matsuri Festival (where He designes a lantern every year showing incoming projects made by him, such as Shin Eva in 2020/2021 and so on) made a lantern showing a ne model of the Evangelion 02, never seen before.

Now, based on the name of the Eva (Evangelion 02 alpha Emergency Improvised Vehicle) we can assume It Is a model made after the events of 2.0 but before 3.0 (since there was the Eva 02 Beta) and combining this drawing with the announcement of this short, it's probably gonna be and action packed Little story that happened before 3.0 starter (probably scrapped material from the original movie, like (-120 Min) was.

Btw, Hello back.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:22 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Now, based on the name of the Eva (Evangelion 02 alpha Emergency Improvised Vehicle) we can assume It Is a model made after the events of 2.0 but before 3.0 (since there was the Eva 02 Beta) and combining this drawing with the announcement of this short, it's probably gonna be and action packed Little story that happened before 3.0 starter (probably scrapped material from the original movie, like (-120 Min) was.

The thing is this story will start 46 hours before the 3.0. WILLE couldn't transform 02 Alpha model in the 02 Beta model in so little time.

If the Evangelion 02 alpha Emergency Improvised Vehicle appears in 3.0 (-46h), it should be in a flashback.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”