Evangelion: The Definitive Dub Project

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

Re: Evangelion: The Definitive Dub Project

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:46 am

Scene 5 and 6 Update and Thoughts.

Both these scenes are entirely ADV efforts, as both scenes revolve entirely around Shinji and Rei.

Scene 5 (That scene...) is pretty much complete. I might replace some of Shinji's lines with equivalents from Amazon here, but it's pretty good. Not a lot of retiming here regarding ADV, which is the same case as the next scene.

Scene 6 (Elevator, and Rei putting on her Plugsuit) has a couple small edits done. For the time being, Mongillo's Shinji is sitting in a place where I need to put a line from Rebuild, as ADV simply shifted a part of the next line earlier in the scene, so that next line has been adequately retimed. To note with lines, it's highly likely that all of Shinji's lines in this scene will come from Amazon. Also to be done, Ritsuko's 'That's how he burned his hands.' line has been added in by copying the same line from earlier in the episode, and both Gendo and Ritsuko in the final bit (With Rei putting on her plugsuit) will be lowered in volume as they're a bit loud at this time. That's to do later though.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:03 am

Episode 5 is complete! This one is a pretty much a complete ADV effort, with Netflix/VSI filling out the background and Extras, along with Toji and Kensuke. Misato and Shinji both have a few lines from Amazon's 1.11 dub, to fill out a couple of Mistakes/Awkward Deliveries.

Now, onto planning for Episode 6, I've just gotten of watching both dubs back to back for this episode (Thank you Collector's Blu-Ray!), along with the Funi dub for the entire equivalent section in 1.11. (Side note: The equivalent 1.11 section is longer than the original episode it was based on. They really went through and upgraded Ramiel!)

This episode will likely be a lot more even in taking from both dubs, as it's a very battle focused Episode there will be lots of background chatter coming from VSI, while ADV holds the named characters (Again, besides Toji and Kensuke).

I found some interesting things watching both dubs back to back with their equivalent subtitles (Platinum for ADV, Khara/Netflix for VSI). I thought at first that the ADV Dub was mistranslating Ramiel's Drill as a Shield, but then found out that the re-dub also never calls it a Drill, and neither does its Subs. Only the Platinum Subs call it a Drill. Interesting. The only other thing that was a mistake was in ADV's dub, Hyuga during the Ramiel battle doesn't say "Cock the rifle!" He pretty much just repeats Misato's previous line. Unsure how I will approach this in the Project, as Hyuga is on screen saying the line. Besides that, nothing that was anything badly translated here. Both dubs are very accurate.

ADV doesn't add much in this Episode. It adds a touch of Ritsuko admiring her own handiwork but the rest of the line is accurate to the Japanese. Shinji also says a "Wait!" When Rei leaves that isn't in the subs.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:22 am

Hi all, have an update for Episode 6, and the complete rework on Episode 1.

Episode 6 has one last day of work ahead. Just fixing up the last few things tomorrow, then I'm going to sync it up to the Blu-Ray and give the finalised dub a watch. Right now, Shinji is taking a lot from Rebuild 1.11, with a few of his lines in the scene in the Hospital as well as his line to Rei about how strong she is are taken from Rebuild. Misato is going a have an select few lines from Amazon 1.11 as well during the final Ramiel battle, but besides that, this Episode is pretty much complete besides the last few scenes.

I do have to say though, boosting the background score using the OSTs was a much bigger nightmare than usual. The use of Angel Attack at the beginning is slightly sped up, and the use of A Crystalline Night Sky is slightly slowed down. This became a massive hassle, especially for Night Sky, as I am still in the process of finding the precise spot where it finishes, and slowing it down the touch it requires. It's pretty much down, but it's still the slightest bit out of sync near the end. Angel Attack is fine, as it was much easier to find the starting and ending spots for the song. Really hoping Decisive Battle, Marking Time and Rei II are not altered speed wise in anyway. (To note: All THREE uses of Spending Time are not speed-changed, made those bits much easier to put together.

As for the rework of Episode 1, mainly some fixes in the early parts of the Episode. Aoba is now actually Jason C. Lee during those scenes, and I'm likely going to be opting for some different lines, mainly on Ritsuko's part. Pitch-Shifting should also be less chipmonk-esk with the redo. I only have the last scene to rush draft, then I'm working on finalising things. Oni is a Japanese Devil line is still there. I like the line, as it's a nice bit of Trivia for the non-Japanese viewers out there. (As is a similar case in Episode 6, Ritsuko still admires her handiwork despite that part of the line not existing in Japanese, again, I'm fine with this, as the rest of what she says in Japanese is accounted for, and I would have to do some awkward retiming to get rid of it.)

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:37 pm

Episode 6 is complete! Not much really to say, I absolutely adore the Rei II piece of music, it's incredible. Completely synced with the Blu-Ray, so you'll be good to go!

Episode 1 is moving into the finalisation phase. Going through scene by scene and adjusting volume levels, changing lines to Rebuild etc. I will be starting on that later today. This'll likely take a bit longer to complete than Episode 6, as there's a bit more to do regarding Episode 1.

Now, for Episode 7, as usual, I've watched both dubs back to back, and here's my casting ideas for both dubs. From ADV: Pretty much the usual suspects, Gendo, Shinji, Misato, Ritsuko, Maya and Hyuga. Also, one extra will be ADV, and that is the woman speaking into Shinji's line early in the Episode. From VSI: Usual, Toji, Kensuke and Hikari. Also from VSI will be the Man on the Phone at the start (Which I believe is Greg Chun (VSI Kaji) in the re-dub, so this will be my way of having him in the dub while using Aaron Krohn for Kaji), Section 2 in general, Various Classmates, The Man Speaking to Gendo on the Plane, Shiro Tokita, Various JA Workers, Mr. Manda and Mr. Yasugi. So again, a pretty equal spread from both dubs.

Mistranslations I found one from both dubs. In ADV, Misato says the "Yes?" line into the Phone to Section 2 at the beginning, when it's supposed to be Section 2 that says it. This is easily fixed as that will be VSI for Section 2, then Misato for the rest of the line. For VSI, they didn't dub the "Eva Drop Zone Reached!" Line before Unit-01 is dropped to catch Jet Alone, again, ADV will step in here as it was dubbed there.

ADV has a few Additions that will likely be removed, Gendo saying "Go ahead" in answer to the guy on the plane asking to sit. "Oh my god, no!" During the Jet ALone demonstration I believe, and Shinji says "Yeah" at the end instead of sighing. I might actually keep the last one, but likely not the other two. We'll see. VSI has Misato say an extended "Heeeey!" That isn't in the subtitles.

Episode 7 will start work tomorrow. It's a fun episode, but I know I'm looking forward to working on Episode 8 next. One of my favourite episodes!

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:41 am

Okay, so information on the redo of Episode 1. All I need to do now is watch it through with the completed dub, and shift around anything if I need to.

In terms of boosting OSTs there were a couple of annoyances, but a side note, this Episode probably has the most pieces of music so far. Episode 6 comes close, but that also uses Spending Time three times, so yeah.

Most of them were pretty easy. Barefoot in the Park was a quick cut to the ending, and so was the very brief usage of Tokyo-3. I. Shinji is played in full, so I just had to make sure it lined up correctly. This was the most helpful, as there are a lot of Shinji's lines especially, that are taken from the Amazon 1.11 dub, and a few of Misato's lines as well. As 1.11 uses a different song here, I was thankful none of that piece bled through in the dialogue. Rei I was quick and easy, and A Step Forward Into Terror is just cutting off the intro to fade into the song instead, and cutting to the ending.

The two annoyances were Angel Attack (AGAIN!) and EVA-01. But for two entirely different reasons. Angel Attack is sped up (Again) so I had to work out speeding it up, I'm fairly sure I've got it though, this was a a bit harder than Episode 6's use, but easier than working out Crystalline Night Sky. As for EVA-01, it's not sped up in anyway, but it's got cuts throughout the entire thing. Just bits and pieces here and there, so that was fun to figure out but I got it! And I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

Episode 7 is three scenes in. The next scene is very short so I'm more interested in getting to the Jet Alone stuff. Reworking Episode 2 will follow, although I'm not sure yet if I'm going to do a complete redo or fix up the odd few things here and there, probably just the odd couple things, we'll see, I just want a short break from doubling up, so I'll finish Episode 7, and then think of working on 2.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:48 am

Okay, Episode 7 is completed! This one has some interesting moments regarding mixing and what not, especially between Tokita and Ritsuko's conversation before the JA demonstration. ADV added a slight echo effect on the microphones (which makes a bit of sense), which VSI dropped. My headcanon is that Tokita purposefully gave the NERV party a more faulty microphone instead of a clean one like he uses so he could demoralize them more lol. Besides that, the episode turned out great. Episodes should come out at a slightly quicker pace now, as Rebuild will not really be used from here on out, or not, who knows?

Haven't started reworking Episode 2 yet, there are some things I want to fix up and improve on as well, that will start within a couple of days.

Now, Episode 8, Asuka and Kaji are introduced here! So here are my thoughts on their casting choices.

For Asuka, Tiffany Grant, no question. 99% of her German adlibs will be kept, but some of them will be done away with if there was no equivalent line in Japanese (For instance, the adlibs over the first eyecatch are gone, but pretty much everything else in this Episode will be kept). Watching VSI's dub again really drove home to me how much I don't care for McKeon's Asuka. Fitting voice for when we see Asuka as a child though, so I'll use McKeon in those situations.

Now, Kaji took a little bit of thought. Looking back, Greg Chun's Kaji isn't that bad at all (I initially didn't think much of it). I was honestly leaning back and forth between him and Aaron Krohn watching the VSI Dub through. However, there were a couple of lines that were really awkward and odd translations that finalized me on Krohn (You know exactly what scene I'm talking about.) Besides, I really love some of Krohn's delivery later in the show ("You're a little late, aren't you?" Is one of my favorites) and I like the carefree but serious vibe he gives off. So, despite the fact that some of his deliveries are awkward in this episode, it will be Krohn for Kaji.

VSI will handle pretty much all the Extras, and one-episode wonder characters in this Episode, as well as Toji and Kensuke. The only exception to the extras is the Over the Rainbow Captain, which will be handled by ADV. One of the few extras which will come from that dub. His exasperation is great as the Episode continues, and VSI didn't live up to it imo. Also one of the extras that isn't so blatantly terrible, so we'll have him from ADV.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:47 am

Updates! Both Episode 8 and the redo of Episode 2 are completed! So let's go over some stuff.

For Episode 8, it's mostly kept as normal, ADV cast follow their characters, VSI cast follow their characters. There is a couple cases where I have used Greg Chun for a line with Kaji, the first is when he and Toji exclaim that "It's not on purpose!" and this is more for the fact that they're both saying the line together. The second is when he's talking to Gendo about an Angel being here, and I believe I used the VSI line to fix a slight mistranslation, watching the episode back once it was completed showed me that it's honestly pretty unnoticable that it's a different voice, and Krohn's later "Of course I can." line followed on quite well with a similar tone.

No problems boosting OST here, you should be able to actually hear EVA-02 in the background now while Asuka's going ham on the Pacific Fleet!

Redoing Episode 2 was the more interesting project. Lines from Funi are gone completely. Maya's replaced lines in the Berserk segment at the end now come from the Amazon dub, for the better voice match with Amy Seeley to Kendra Benham. Unfortunately, this means that these lines will repeat in the actual 1.11 dub, but that's not really a major issue, it's only about 4 lines anyway. All of Misato's lines are mostly coming from Amazon during the berserk section, to leave the Funi lines for the 1.11 dub. A lot of Misato and Shinji lines are now coming from Amazon instead, mainly to fix up awkward deliveries, and mistranslations ("Except of course for me that is!" is gone now). In most cases, I've kept the Amazon lines going even if the original ADV delivery wasn't that bad. Shinji now exclaims that "He's never seen a frickin' bird like that before!" from Amazon because why not.

OST was also mostly simple to boost, Harbinger of Tragedy and The Beast were both slightly slower than Album speed, but this was very easily fixed. What wasn't as easy is the fact that there is a slight edit in The Beast to repeat the middle section a third time before Unit-01 rips through the AT-Field, with some editing in Audacity this was fixed up, and further cleaned up afterwards. The use of the "totally Rhythm Only" version of Misato was also slightly slower, and this was also very easily fixed. Everything else staying very on point, no other changes really needed. The music now should be a bit clearer over the battle sounds and shouted lines etc.

Now, Episode 9 has started work already, and I have some notes on what I have so far:

Cast:
ADV: Asuka, Shinji, Kaji, Ritsuko, Misato, Aoba, Hyuga, Fuyutsuki, Maya and Rei
VSI: Various Student Background (A little bit from ADV as well), Kensuke, Toji, Hikari, whatever other Extras there are.
This is going to be a very ADV centric episode, especially considering the episode focuses largely on Asuka and Shinji, there's not much room for VSI elsewhere considering my casting choices so far. Hence, I'd say this Episode would be 80/20 ADV/VSI.

Mistranslation notes on my viewings:
ADV: Some would consider Asuka's early lines "You should appreciate your good fortune!" to be a mistranslation, I noted it down but it keeps the general idea behind the original lines. VSI matches the subs better though. We'll see with this one.
Misato tells Kaji "Don't flatter yourself!" Again, this is one I don't really consider a mistranslation as it flows well with Kaji's lines, it makes sense in character and isn't too far removed from what the subs say. Again, others would disagree.
Shinji doesn't say "Here it comes!" in the initial Israfel battle in ADV. Will be fixed by a slightly pitch-shifted VSI line. The line is quiet anyway so I'm not overly concerned.
Asuka screams "CHARGE!" instead of saying that "It's mine!". Honestly I like what ADV did more. Totally something Asuka would do. The VSI line also comes off a bit too calm imo.
Shinji and Asuka's whole spiel before Toji, Hikari and Kensuke could be considered a mistranslation, but VSI doesn't really do overly better on it. Looks to be a hard line to get right in English.
VSI: This was really interesting watching this...
Asuka says it's "Nice to finally meet you!" To Rei. Very interesting choice. ADV follows the Subs better.
Ritsuko tells Kaji he's "Looking a little shaggier." ADV wasn't 100% right either, but I think they got the idea behind the line better than VSI did.
Fuyutsuki now says that "I've never been so embarrassed." Considering the subs say Shinji and Asuka have "Embarrassed Us!" This is a straight up mistranslation.
Fuyutsuki also asks Shinji and Asuka to "Answer this question." Fits scene wise, not what the subs say. The subs say (Platinum) "Listen up, you two." Kinda similar, but ADV is closer.
Not sure why I noted down this, but "Commit it to Memory." When Misato is talking about the plan to defeat Israfel. Still not sure why I said this. (Checking the Commentary Pages, Misato says to "Memorise the pattern" which I guess is kinda close? VSI makes it sound like Misato is talking about the Music, while in both subs and ADV, she's talking about the actual movements to the music.)
"All I have left is to be an Eva Pilot" By Asuka in the Supermarket when Shinji goes to get her. A very interesting choice, as the subs say she "Has no choice but to pilot the Eva." Seems a bit of a subtle bit of foreshadowing in the original and ADV dubs that they decided to make a bit more obvious?
Shinji doesn't say "Sure..." Not sure what I was noting this for... Can't remember.
Asuka has a weird Oaf weirdo line at the end. It's a creative insult, similar to stuff like "Animated Turnip" from the ADV dub. Kinda like it, but it's not Grant.

Also, any Dub additions I found:
ADV: A lot of extra "What's?" at least four added throughout the Episode haha.
The general background chatter increase in the school scenes. Makes total sense honestly, it's a school.
I noted that Asuka says "Why did I have to bring you?" Not sure why though?
Ritsuko says "Well, look what we have here?" before continuing with the rest of her line as in the Subs when going to see Misato about Kaji's plan. This will likely be removed.
A good old "Schiesse!" from Asuka!
VSI: ONe of the school kids says "You gotta check her out!" Will still be in the finalised Definitive Dub.
Asuka says German in the VSI dub that wasn't in the Japanese Audio? Yep! Asuka gives off a "Verdammt!" during one of the Israfel battles.
In a similar vein to ADV, VSI had Asuka say "I... I..." when Misato says Rei should replace her in the operation. (ADV has one of their many What? additions.) She doesn't say anything in Japanese, instead giving vocalisations instead. (Nothing is Subbed in this instance, in either the Platinum or Khara subs.)

First two scenes are done, the rest will be done over the next couple weeks. The Google Drive folder will be updated with the Dub tracks within the next day.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:16 am

9 is Done! 10 has started!

Of minor notes before I talk about my thoughts for 10, both 1 and 2 have been given minor updates. Angel Attack has been corrected with boosted OST in Episode 1, having finally figured out that a bar has been cut in the second half of the song that I didn't even notice. I. Shinji's Volume Levels have also been adjusted as it builds in the second half and drowns out the dialogue. This same thing has been done in Episode 2, with Angel Attack at the start, and The Beast at the end.

Anyway, here's my notes for 10, this one will likely be about 60% ADV/40% VSI I think. Like with 9, this includes Cast, and any Mistranslations and Additions I found.

Cast:
ADV: Asuka, Kaji, Clothing Store Announcer, Shinji, Misato, Ritsuko, Rei, Fuyutsuki, Aoba, Maya, Hyuga, Gendo and Keel
VSI: Hikari, Kensuke, Toji, Background NERV Personnel, Earthquake Center Dude, Earthquake Center Woman, Committee Men A, B, C, and D, Background People at Sandalphon Operation, The Woman in the Cable Car, Other NERV Person in Bunker, Owner of the Hot Springs.

Mistranslations:
ADV: No Background Dialogue before Sandalphon Operation
Maya says "1050" instead of "1020" during Sandalphon Operation. This isn't a major issue, and likely will be left as is. It doesn't break the episode.
The whole Thermal Expansion realisation at the end isn't necessarily wrong, just given to Asuka instead of Ritsuko. Ritsuko now mentions the "Coolant" or something like that.
VSI: Clothing Store Announcer is barely audible, in fact, I'm not even sure she's there.
"Make fun of me all you want etc." Not sure what I was noting this for (I watched both dubs like a week ago...) But noted that the line is given with very different wording compared to the subs.
"Soap" instead of "Shampoo" at the end in the Hot Springs.
The Entire Ending scene between Asuka and Misato off camera is made a bit less clear as to what is actually going on. The Subs/ADV Dub make it much clearer.

Honestly, both dubs are quite accurate for this Episode. One doesn't win above the other.

Additions:
ADV: There's more bustling noise at the beginning of the Episode.
Asuka's retaliation to Misato telling her she's not going on the trip is slightly extended. She also says that "a Good defence is a good offence" Not really much of an issue, considering the rest of the Japanese line is still there. Simply a timing thing more than anything it sounds like.
"You poor thing." Asuka towards Unit-02
"Oh, man!" Asuka, before she utters that the volcano, "Looks hot."
"Cold shower" instead of "Hot Spring" From Asuka
Ritsuko replying to Misato about a possible Third Impact. "All over again," instead of "Another one of those". Honestly, why did I write this down lol?
"Here it comes!" From Shinji, before he throws the Prog Knife.
"Watch your fingers!" From Asuka at the end.
VSI: Nothing I could find on my initial viewing. Might catch something while I'm going through as normal.

None of these Additions really hurt the episode in anyway. Some might stay, but most will likely be removed.

Osoa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Osoa » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:21 pm

aw, just found this after spending the past couple of days making (very, very slow) progress on my own "perfect" dub of evangelion. this seems to be much more ambitious, however mine is just making small changes to the adv dub that were forgotten / left out during production. an example of this would be the different voice actors Asuka had during the "none of this is the real me" part. in Japanese, each of these lines had different VAs. in the ADV dub, it was tiffany grant each time. i might use different languages for each of the lines, but have the first one be the netflix dub. could be interesting.
i also want to replace some of the really, really dumb sound effects with either the Japanese or netflix equivalent (looking at you, jam sound effect gunshot in end of eva)
anyways, i wish you luck on this and will be checking it out once it's finished.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:35 pm

Considering that my project is dealing with the Entire Original Series, plus Death, EoE, 1.11, 2.22 and 3.33, yeah, I have a bit of work cut out for me!

Thanks for checking out the thread. I need to give this an update with all my notes for Episode 11, as that's actually nearing completion and I haven't even talked about it haha!

View Original PostOsoa wrote:an example of this would be the different voice actors Asuka had during the "none of this is the real me" part. in Japanese, each of these lines had different VAs. in the ADV dub, it was tiffany grant each time.

My current thoughts regarding that scene in 22' is to have Tiffany do the first one, then Netflix/VSI for the rest. In that case, you get the imitations from other VAs as originally intended, but also an extra little thing where because the lines aren't 1-to-1 identical between the ADV and VSI dubs, Asuka saying "None of this is the real me!" has a bit of extra meaning behind it. I think it would be cool.

Osoa wrote:i also want to replace some of the really, really dumb sound effects with either the Japanese or netflix equivalent (looking at you, jam sound effect gunshot in end of eva)

This was always going to happen. Those sound effects will be gone in EoE while keeping the ADV/Manga main cast intact. There'll be some other moments where I fix things that ADV went a bit over the top on. Things like the kissing sounds in 15 will come from VSI instead, as ADV's were way to over the top and almost comedic. The "Ow my line" line that kinda changes the tone of the scene in 18 will be removed. I've already removed the added "Bullshit!" in 5 etc.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:15 am

Hi everyone! I am very late on this as I've actually completed Episode 11 in the time since I've given an update. So I want to go over all my notes for both 11 and 12 to let you know where I am.

Starting off with 11, this episode had some interesting things to put together. It ended up being pretty even in all honestly, with a slight leaning towards ADV as always. Here's all the notes from when I watched the episode months ago:

Cast:
ADV: Ritsuko, Maya, Shigeru, Fuyutsuki, Kaji, Misato, Gendo, Shinji, Woman on Loudspeaker in Tokyo-3, Makoto, Asuka, The JSSDF Commander, Rei
VSI: Background Characters, The Boy Who Won!, 5.1 Extras, Dude in Unit-00 Re-activation test, Woman on Phone, Woman in NERV, Commander Left, and Right, Various Backgrounds in JSSDF Room, Person in Helicopter, Takahashi Promotor, Other Dude in that Vehicle, Dude in the Eva Cages

Mistranslations (Compared against Platinum for ADV, Khara for VSI)
ADV: "Technophiles!" By Shigeru early on. I really like this and it has been kept.
Maya is missing a Roger during Unit-00 Reactivation.
"Nine circuits" instead of "Old circuits" Ironically, the Dub line matches the old LTP project.
Missing a "What?" somewhere
"The Angel has Landed" Missing
"Not Again!" Also Missing
Missing various background lines during Eva Launch
"Sex fiends." By Maya instead of "Disgusting" Another localisation I quite like and has been kept.
Preview: Doesn't specifically mention Misato's past, is instead implied.
VSI: A damn is missing from Misato. This is a mistake from ADV as well, but the line wasn't subbed there in Platinum.
"Only circuit no. insert here is working" A blatant incorrect translation. Subs match Platinum and ADV to an extent.
Preview: Supposedly there's nothing about Misato's past here? I might've just missed it though.

Additions:
ADV: "Cutting circuits." Said by Maya, I can't actually tell if this was added or not? I can't remember whether I kept the line or not.
"We've been waiting for you!" Said by Ritsuko, her earlier line was extended. Fixed in Definitive Dub.
"GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Said by Asuka when she's bashing down the door to the Shaft Matarael is above. Removed.
"All clear!" Also said by Asuka. With a brief fade out this has been mostly removed.
VSI: There seems to be some extra background noise that didn't exist originally? I'm not sure. Seems odd if this is the case.
Unsure if "I wanna get out!" Is an additional line or not.

ADV is missing the odd line here or there in this episode. It's not terrible though. VSI has a couple odd mistakes as well. Both line up well, though VSI is slightly more accurate here.

Now for Episode 12, another Episode that will be a bit even, with a slight lean for ADV due to casting choices. Notes!

Cast:
ADV: Shinji, Asuka, Misato, Maya, Ritsuko, The Radio in Misato's Car (Shinji and Misato speak over it), Kaji, Fuyutsuki, Gendo, Makoto, Shigeru, Rei, the Train Announcer (Again, because of speaking over it)
VSI: Young Misato, Toji, Kensuke, Harmonics Test Dude, Hikari, Captain of Boat in Antarctica, NERV Employees (Unnamed), 5.1 Extras, Tokyo-3 Announcements

Mistranslations:
ADV: Quite a few lines here were worded in different ways while keeping the meaning. I haven't noted these down, as they aren't so drastically different.
"Talk about lame excuses!" Asuka, while she's reprimanding Toji and Kensuke at the beginning.
"It's so stupid." From Shinji, while asking Misato why Asuka doesn't like him. (She does really)
"Recon 6 is now in range!" From Shigeru during the early Sahaquiel stuff. Completely different, but I like it.
VSI: This episode has some interesting lines in the Dub. Lots of moments where lines finish too early, with the character's still giving lip flaps. Got a bit aggravating to watch.
"Admit it, you love it!" Asuka to Shinji when she's bragging about still being higher than Shinji. The subs are more in line with ADV.
"Did I do something wrong?" From Shinji, instead of "I wonder if I did something wrong." Question instead of a statement.
Hikari and Asuka laugh instead of saying a line together. Considering the Subs and ADV actually have a line here...
"Trust me, I won't"" Instead of "I promise." The whole pre-Sahaquiel scene where Misato talks to the pilots seems to have some lines shifted to other characters. It feels strange.
"AT Field!" By Shinji, instead of "Field at Maximum!" Both Rebuild Dubs, plus ADV get this more accurate. Although, it makes Shinji sound like he's yelling out his ULTIMATE FIGHTING MOVE lol.

Additions:
ADV: "Heeeeyyyyy!" From Asuka, early in the Episode.
"Wow!" From Kensuke instead of simple vocalisations.
"Way to go, Misato!" From Kensuke again, during the party.
"I see." A slight addition to Misato's lines during Pre-Sahaquiel stuff. Likely will be kept, I'll see.
"A Ramen Place?" From Misato at the end. This one will be removed.
VSI: "Heeeeyyyyy!" From Asuka, in the exact same place as ADV haha. Something tells me this is in the Japanese dialogue and it just wasn't subbed in either the Platinum or Khara Subs.

Couple Extra Things I noticed:
Ironically, when discussing the events of Second Impact, Antarctica is used in the ADV Dub and Khara Subs, while the South Pole is used in the VSI Dub and Platinum Subs. Just thought that was interesting.
VSI's dub has a major issue when it comes to intent here. Shinji muttering "Don't Run Away." Completely ruins the meaning in his lines just before the Sahaquiel fight begins, as he just says "Don't Run Away." again right before the battle begins, there's no real change in what he's thinking with that line. In ADV, his memories say "I mustn't run away." and then before the battle he says: "I won't run away." This works so much more beautifully, and a great example of how translation is not everything, localisation is important as well. The intent of the lines are conveyed much better than in VSI's dub, where it just sounds like Shinji is continuing his previous thoughts, as there's no difference in the lines.
A minor thing, but it's really becoming apparent just how bored VSI Misato sounds in the next episode previews.

Anyway, that's a lot of stuff, so enjoy while I work on Episode 12!

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 am

I'm not gonna put up my notes from Episode 13 for at least a couple of days, but I just wanted to talk about the two dubs themselves regarding this episode specifically, as either way this will likely be the worst episode quality-wise as part of this project. I am of the firm belief that in both dubs this is one of the worst episodes performance-wise, but for drastically different reasons.

The ADV Dub is mostly pretty good, but during the main "battle" section of the episode, the deliveries are wildly going too far in the over-the-top direction. It's effective in conveying the drastic urgency of the situation with Ireul but it goes a touch too far. Everyone is propping the others up though, so that's good.

On the other hand, the VSI Dub during the same scene the deliveries are now going too far in the opposite direction. Now I get no sense of urgency at all. When watching the VSI Dub, I get the sense that this is a standard Wednesday. It's not enough. I chalk that up to direction more than anything.

Due to voice consistency reasons, the battle scene will pretty much be verbatim ADV, but in this situation, I was really left with two generally mediocre options. Which sucked. So, I can pretty firmly say that Episode 13 will likely be of the lowest quality in this project, and there really isn't much that I can do about that. It's either not enough energy, or too much energy.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:25 am

Will you also do Death(true)^2? It must be done as it's considered canon with its inclusion on Netflix and the GKIDS Blu-ray.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:35 pm

View Original PostHARVEST wrote:Will you also do Death(true)^2? It must be done as it's considered canon with its inclusion on Netflix and the GKIDS Blu-ray.

Yes, I will be doing Death(true)^2. I wasn't sure initially but I decided that I should do it to be complete.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:05 am

Is this project being mixed in 5.1 or stereo?

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:59 pm

HARVEST wrote:Is this project being mixed in 5.1 or stereo?

Stereo for now. It's just the easiest way for me to handle putting this together right now. If in the future I'm able to work with a proper 5.1 mix and keep those 5.1 mixes then I can remake it later in 5.1. But for now, it's just in Stereo.

Okay, so here are my notes for both Episodes 13 and 14, I've nearly finished the first rush of Episode 14, which is a really simple episode to work on honestly. Not difficult at all. Anyway, here are the notes for Episode 13 first.

Cast:
ADV: Shigeru, Hyuga, Ritsuko, Maya, Misato, Asuka, Rei, Shinji, Fuyutsuki, Gendo, Kaji
VSI: Starting NERV Employees, 5.1 Stuff (Somewhat heard, it's not overly important but it's occasionally there), Various NERV Employees during the Simulation Tests, the MAGI (Mostly VSI, but has some lines from ADV when characters speak over it), Various Announcements

Mistranslations:
ADV:
Asuka says that this is a "Personal Thing" instead of an "Emotional Thing", during the early part heading to the Simulation Bodies. Kept largely because VSI isn't much better.
Missing a "Monitors Nominal". Fixed with VSI.
"That's too close." From Fuyutsuki instead of "That's a bad box?" The sub-line is a bit strange imo? This is kept in Definitive.
Missing a Line from Hyuga before the intrusion of Caspar begins. This is fixed by a Pitch-Shifted VSI Hyuga.
"And not a very interesting one at that." From Ritsuko is completely missing, fixed by PItch-Shifted VSI.
VSI:
"Embarrassing Us" From Asuka in the heading to Simulation Bodies bit. Not exactly overly accurate but sits in that it kinda works realm like the ADV line.
"Decontamination has stopped." I noted that this line was completely different. But I can't even remember if it's kept or not...

Additions:
ADV:
An extra "Yes, ma'am" from Rei.
"Opening Second False Entry" Removed.
VSI:
Nothing. Very cool.

So yeah, Episode 13 is a largely ADV affair. With not much else to go on. It's a rather overdone episode overall, with no real perfect result from either. This is the best I could do really.

Now, for Episode 14.

This episode is very easy to put together. It's another heavily ADV affair in the second half, but the first half leans VSI due to Casting Choices. It's pretty even if you look at it like that, but considering the first half is pretty much completely recap, this was an incredibly simple episode to put together.

To note, Line retiming is happening here, but Rei's monologue in ADV hasn't been shifted that much. While it doesn't match up with the sub-timings 1-to-1 all the lines are there. This is largely a result of Japanese to English being very different languages, it's just simply a case of more time being needed for some lines due to this. Because of this, I do believe that ADV's translation of the monologue is much better than the VSI one, and sounds more poetic as well as a result.

Cast:
ADV: Misato, Keel, Gendo, Asuka, Shinji, Rei, Ritsuko, Maya, Hyuga, Fuyutsuki
VSI: Toji, Kensuke, Hikari, Committee A, B, C and D, NERV Employees, Radio in Shinji's Hospital Room, and Maybe the Radio in Asuka's Room (Although this might end up being ADV).

Mistranslations:
ADV:
Missing "Entry Plug Inserted" Fixed from VSI.
Missing "Main Power Supply Connection Complete." Fixed from VSI.
Ritsuko doesn't say that Asuka's jabs are specifically creating Data noise, but she does say she's distracting and interfering with Shinji's test. VSI's translation in the dub isn't much more accurate than ADV's, so ADV's is kept.
VSI:
One of Fuyutsuki's lines at the end seemed off? But I couldn't quite place what felt weird about it.
Asuka also doesn't specifically mention "Mama's breast" but still mentions being in the womb. It's interesting that they left that out when it's still in the subs, and ADV had no problem using the "Mama's breast" part of the line.

Additions:
ADV:
"Hm, right." From Misato, after Ritsuko notes that she knows she needs to have a new sync test with Eva Unit-00.
VSI:
An Extra "Rei!" from Misato during the Berserk Unit-00 sequence.

A final note, regarding the upcoming 21'-26 dubs. Having watched the OA dubs for Episodes 21-24, the Original Cast Members for Gendo, Maya and Shigeru are kept intact. Having investigated the additions in the DC dubs, there's only one additional scene for Gendo (the beginning of 21') and no additional dialogue for Maya or Shigeru. As such, besides that one scene at the beginning of 21, Gendo and Shigeru will definitely be kept as Tristan McAvery and Jason Lee throughout the rest of NGE, which saves a recast only to go back to the originals for Death and EoE. As for Maya, I haven't completely decided whether I will switch or not to Monica Rial. I'll decide by then though, as Maya does change again for the Movies and Rebuild to Amy Seeley. As for Kaworu, he will be Clifford Chapin from the VSI dub, as while I like both Greg Ayres and Aaron Krohn, I do think Chapin is better than Krohn, which is why I decided to go with Chapin.

A proper Rebuild cast list will be decided once I'm at the point where work will begin on 1.11.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:59 am

Episode 15 Notes coming up now! So far I've worked on the first half of Episode 15 so far. Episode 14 is pretty much complete, it's use of Rei I is very weird, with cuts and speed changes all over the place, I'm still figuring that one out haha. Anyway, moving on to the notes for Episode 15:

Cast:
ADV: Fuyutsuki, Gendo, Kaji, Asuka, Shinji, Ritsuko, Misato, any NERV Background that overlaps, Rei, Wedding Officiator Dude
VSI: The Cat Lady, Hikari, Toji, NERV Background, Teacher

Mistranslations:
ADV:
"Med student" from Asuka instead of a "hunk", relating to the date she's going on. This will be kept largely due to keeping Tiffany as Asuka.
A lot of the lines in the bar scene are worded quite differently but keep a lot of the same meaning behind the original lines. These will be kept, they don't break the scene unless I feel it's an egregious change. For example, Kaji says "Making a quick exit?" instead of "Don't ditch me now!"
Kaji's "Yes, ma'am." is barely audible.
Misato's "Do you remember why I broke up with you?" is missing from ADV, but everything else is intact. Considering ideas on how to approach this in the Dub. Including whether to leave it missing, or quickly splice in a pitched-up VSI Misato to cover the mistake.
VSI:
Fuyutsuki does not mention the Human Instrumentality Project being behind schedule. Fixed because I'm using ADV Fuyu.
"Money's getting wasted." instead of "The bills are constant." The idea is there but it's an interesting way to put it.
Rei says "Don't be ridiculous." to Shinji instead of "Why would you say that?" Again, Translation is fine but it's an interesting way to put it. Especially since it's no longer a question but rather a statement.
The Wedding Officiator Dude says a completely different thing compared to previous translations. Checking against the LTP and even the Japanese lines against DeepL and both lean ADV compared to both Khara's subs and VSI's dub. Have no idea how we ended up with the lines being translated the way they did here.
Misato doesn't specifically mention Kaji's tie when she's fixing it.
Can't remember which line specifically, but during the scene between Misato and Kaji in the second half of the episode, one of Misato's lines is pretty much completely different to the subs.
Not sure if this is completely wrong, need to check against the Japanese dub, but VSI has either barely audible or just no sounds at all during Shinji and Asuka's kiss. I'll see what the Japanese original did before I make a decision regarding this, but it's looking like I'll be in a pickle regarding this.

Additions:
ADV:
An "Excuse me!?" from Misato during the conversation with Ritsuko during the test at the beginning of the Episode. While I really like this, it has been removed.
A "Yeah" from Shinji before the kiss.
The kiss sounds themselves are much more overt, and very noticeable. Considering the predicament regarding VSI's take on the scene I'm not sure what to do about this just yet.
VSI:
A "Sure" from Kaji after he lets Misato walk on her own.
"Reaaaalllllyyyy!" From Asuka after Kaji brings Misato home.

Other notes:
ADV: The mixing on the Blu-Ray seems off for this Episode. I can't quite place my finger on it, but I don't remember it being as bad as this.
Those women longed for the touch of others lips and thus invited their kisses (The OST Track) is still very much in the Episode on the Blu-Ray for the ADV Dub. GKids/Anime Limited tried their best to remove it considering the circumstances, but it's definitely still there. It's not as prominent as the Platinum DVD, but it's most noticeable leading up to Misato and Kaji's kiss.
VSI: Heading to the other side of the coin now, the removal of said OST track above completely changes the mood of this scene. Silence doesn't work as well imo, and the scene is worse because of it.

For those wondering, yes, the song will be in the finished Dub for this Episode. Same deal with 21 and Death.

An extra note, I'll be taking a break from the Project once Episode 15 is finished, probably for a month, and then I'll begin work on Episode 16. I have some interesting ideas regarding the future Episodes, and I'm very excited to show you those ideas once I get to working on them.

In the meantime, a Mega link will go up on the first post once 15 is finished, allowing those to watch the first 15 Episodes with the finished Dubs, they will only be audio files, designed to sync up to existing copies of the show. A reminder that they are only in Stereo due to my available resources. I apologize to those with 5.1 setups, but at this point, I don't have the ability to create 5.1 tracks at this time. Maybe in the future, but not right now.

For now, this is Josh, signing off.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:31 pm

Hello all! Here is the complete changelog for Episode 1:

Cast:
Shinji Ikari: Spike Spencer
Misato Katsuragi: Allison Keith (Carrie Keranen for two lines, Pitch-Shifted)
Ritsuko Akagi: Sue Ulu (Erica Lindbeck for the odd line, Pitch-Shifted)
Rei Ayanami: Amanda Winn-Lee
Gendo Ikari: Tristan MacAvery
Kozo Fuyutsuki: Guil Lunde (Michael Ross for a couple lines)
Makoto Hyuga: Brian Granveldt
Maya Ibuki: Kendra Benham
Shigeru Aoba: Jason C Lee

Additional Cast
List VSI Additional Cast Here
With Odd ADV Additional Cast As Well

Part A
2:20-2:24 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted Up
2:36 - Shinji's line "This is dumb!" removed
2:39 - Removed Shinji's "Huaaahhh!" (That's what it sounds like anyway)
3:01 - Removed Shinji's first vocalisation, the rest is kept
3:33 - Removed Shinji's "Ahh!"
3:36 - Removed ADV Shinji's second "Ahhh!", VSI Shinji's reaction Pitch Shifted Down
3:49-3:51 - Removed Shinji's Reactions
3:54-3:59 - Removed ADV Shinji's Reactions besides the initial one.
4:03-4:04 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted Up
4:15 - Removed Shinji's Reaction
4:17-4:21 - Removed Shinji's Reactions (Reactions Between these two are kept)
5:18-5:24 - Misato's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted Up
5:55-5:56 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted Up
5:57 - Shinji's cough removed
5:59-6:11 - Entire segment of lines replaced with Amazon 1.11
6:14-6:26 - Shinji and Misato's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11, Misato Pitch-Shifted
7:02-7:09 - Misato's lines re-timed to better match Subs
7:20-7:38 - Misato's lines re-timed to batter match Subs
7:55 - Brief Shinji Vocalisation Removed
7:59-8:03 - Misato's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted to correct Translation error
8:14 - Removed ADV Misato's Reaction, VSI used instead
8:53-8:56 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted
9:00-9:04 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
9:51-9:57 - Shinji and Misato's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11, Misato Pitch-Shifted
10:03-10:25 - Entire segment of lines and vocalisations replaced with Amazon 1.11, Misato Pitch-Shifted
10:25-10:27 - Removed two brief Shinji Vocalisations
10:35-10:38 - Misato's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11, Pitch-Shifted
10:43-10:44 - Removed ADV Shinji Vocalisations, used VSI's more subtle ones

Part B
11:04 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
11:39-11:41 - First half of Ritsuko's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted because of bad delivery
11:46-11:51 - Misato's vocalisations replaced with VSI
11:47-11:48 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted
12:04 - Removed Misato's "Uh"
12:09 - Removed Ritsuko "Hmm"
12:28 - Removed Fuyutsuki's "Hmm"
12:31-12:33 - Fuyutsuki's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
12:38-13:05 - All lines re-timed to better match Subs
13:24 - Shinji's reaction replaced with Amazon 1.11
13:25 - Shinji vocalisation removed
13:29-13:30 - VSI Shinji Vocalisations used
13:31-13:32 - Ritsuko's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
13:48-13:49 - Shinji's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11
13:50 - Removed Shinji's "Huh!"
13:55 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
13:56 - Removed Shinji's vocalisation
13:59-14:07 - Misato's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted
14:21 - Shinji's "Yes, ma'am" line re-inserted from Amazon 1.11
14:23 - Shinji's vocalisation replaced with Amazon 1.11
14:46-14:48 - Ritsuko's line re-timed to match Subs
14:54-14:55 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
14:59-15:02 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
15:04-15:09 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
15:20-15:25 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
15:29-15:35 - Shinji's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11
16:01 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
16:03 - ADV Shinji Vocalisation replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
16:07-16:26 - All lines replaced with Amazon 1.11, Misato Pitch-Shifted
16:27 - Removed ADV Vocalisation of some kind
16:36 - Removed Fuyutsuki's "Sir"
16:52-16:53 - Removed Ritsuko's Sigh of Annoyance
17:02-17:05 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 1.11
17:16 - Removed Shinji's Vocalisations
17:41-17:42 - ADV Shinji Vocalisations replaced with VSI Pitch-Shifted
17:44 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
17:56-18:02 - Ritsuko's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
18:01-18:02 - Removed Misato Vocalisations
18:09 - Removed Misato's Vocalisation
18:11-18:13 - Removed Shinji VOcalisations
18:31 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
18:39-18:41 - Shinji's lines replaced with Amazon 1.11
19:17-19:18 - ADV Shinji Vocalisation's replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
19:33-19:35 - Misato's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
20:06-20:07 - Ritsuko's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted
20:09-20:10 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted
21:21-21:22 - Misato's line replaced with Amazon 1.11 and Pitch-Shifted
21:23-21:24 - ADV Shinji vocalisations replaced with VSI
21:49-21:50 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
22:00-23:05 - Fly Me to the Moon Restored

A Changelog for Episode 15 will come shortly, then Episodes 2-14 at a reasonable pace as I complete their changelogs.
Last edited by CoolJosh2002 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:19 pm

Episode 15 Changelog! It is finished!

Cast:
Shinji Ikari: Spike Spencer
Misato Katsuragi: Allison Keith
Ritsuko Akagi: Sue Ulu
Rei Ayanami: Amanda Winn-Lee
Asuka Langley Soryu: Tiffany Grant
Gendo Ikari: Tristan MacAvery
Ryoji Kaji: Aaron Krohn (Greg Chun for missing/mistranslated lines)
Toji Suzuhara: Johnny Yong Bosch
Kozo Fuyutsuki: Guil Lunde
Hikari Horaki: Abby Trot
Pen-Pen: Cherami Leigh

Additional Cast
Insert VSI Additional Cast Here!

Part A:
1:46-1:49 - Fuyutsuki's line re-timed to match subs
1:51-1:55 - Gendo's line re-timed to match subs
2:08 - Removed Fuyutsuki Vocalisation
2:25-2:29 - Kaji's line re-timed to match subs
2:38 - Removed Kaji Vocalisation
2:50-3:37 - Volume increased for Cat Lady's dialogue
3:20 - Quick fade in the cut out ADV Cat Lady
3:22-3:32 - Kaji's line re-timed and "Yes" at the start cut
4:40 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
4:55-4:56 - Volume decreased for dialogue to match Japanese
5:33-5:34 - Misato's "Excuse me!" cut
5:48 - Misato Vocalisation Removed
6:04 - Shinji Vocalisation Removed
6:26 - Shinji's reaction re-timed
6:39-6:42 - Shinji's line re-timed to match subs
7:12-7:13 - Misato's Vocalisation Removed
7:41 - Second part of Gendo's line re-timed to match subs
7:45-7:48 - Misato's lines re-timed to match subs
8:22-8:23 - VSI Shinji's Reaction Pitch-Shifted Down to fix missing ADV reaction
8:31 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
9:08 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
9:21-9:22 - Misato's line re-timed to match subs
9:49-10:00 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 2.22
10:15-10:16 - Shinji's line replaced with Amazon 2.22
10:41-10:49 - Shinji's lines replaced with Amazon 2.22

Part B:
11:36-11:39 - Asuka's line re-timed to match subs
11:54 - Removed Shinji Vocalisation
12:22 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
12:24-12:26 - Removed Misato Vocalisations
13:17-13:20 - Ritsuko and Kaji's lines re-timed to match subs
13:29 - Removed Ritsuko and Kaji Vocalisations
13:31-13:34 - Kaji's line replaced with VSI and Pitch-Shifted up slightly to fix translation error (Although ADV's "I wasn't in Kyoto" delivery is fantastic)
13:40 - Removed Kaji Vocalisation
14:13 - Removed Vocalisation (I think its Ritsuko)
14:15-14:18 - Removed Misato Vocalisations
14:23-14:29 - Misato's line re-timed and volume turned down to match Japanese and subs
14:53-15:07 - Volume decreased for Misato to match Japanese
15:11 - VSI Kaji slotted in and Pitch-Shifted to fix missing line
15:16-15:23 - All lines re-timed to match subs
15:24-15:27 - VSI Misato slotted in and Pitch-Shifted to fix missing line
15:27-15:29 - As a result of above, Misato's next line re-timed to match subs
15:34 - Kaji's line re-timed to match subs
15:36 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
15:42 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
15:56-16:01 - Misato's "Being with You" and "Becoming a woman" swapped around to match subs
16:23-16:26 - Removed Misato Vocalisations
16:31 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
17:07-17:18 - Kiss sounds on Dialogue Track removed, Subtle ones still exist on background track
15:12-17:28 - Those women longed for the touch of others lips and thus invited their kisses Restored
17:43-17:44 - Shinji's line re-timed to match subs
18:03 - Removed Vocalisations
18:06 - Removed Vocalisations
18:13 - Removed Larger Shinji Vocalisation
18:14-18:44 - Removed Over the Top Kissing Sounds, Kiss sounds are much more subtle now, retaining the awkwardness of the original scene
18:45-18:46 - Removed two Shinji Vocalisations
18:47 - Shinji Vocalisation Re-timed
18:58 - ADV Asuka Vocalisation replaced with Pitched Down VSI
18:59-19:01 - Asuka's line re-timed to match subs, also removing vocalisations
19:17-19:18 - Removed Misato Vocalisation
19:35 - Removed Asuka Vocalisation
19:42-19:44 - VSI Kaji slotted in and Pitch-shifted to fix missing line
19:45-19:47 - Removed Vocalisations
19:52 - Removed Vocalisations
20:39 - Removed Misato and Kaji Vocalisations
21:01 - Removed Kaji Vocalisation
21:26-21:28 - Kaji's line cut in two and re-timed to retain Japanese timing
21:39-21:40 - Misato's line re-timed to match subs
21:46 - Quick fade out to remove Misato Vocalisation
21:54-21:57 - Misato's line re-timed to match subs
22:01-23:05 - Fly Me to the Moon Restored
Last edited by CoolJosh2002 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

CoolJosh2002
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby CoolJosh2002 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:52 am

Well, here it is, my notes for Episode 16! I've got a bit of a predicament here, and I'll detail my thoughts below.

Cast:
ADV: Misato, Shinji, Asuka, Kaji, Maya, Mokoto, Ritsuko, Rei, Shigeru, Gendo
VSI: Man (S1), Announcement, Woman (S2), Man (S2), Man (S5), Woman (S5), Leliel Shinji, Kensuke, Man A (S9), Man B (S9), Yui

Mistranslations:
ADV: "Are you there?" Instead of "Not there yet?" This will be kept.
Shinji doesn't call out for Asuka and Rei by name, Misato still is though. Kept.
Missing a background line before Asuka and Rei's argument. Fixed by VSI.
"Help us apply pressure" instead of "Applying pressure on us." Neither dub is really correct. I'll make my decision when I work on this scene.
"Doing nothing" instead of "Sleeping", doesn't really change much. As such, will be kept.
Missing a "Roger" after Ritsuko's orders. Fixed with VSI.
Missing the second "Who's there?" from the Shinji A and B Convo, easily fixed.
One of Shinji's lines during the Leliel Convo is shifted one line later but is still there, easily fixed by shifting the line.
Pretty big error. Shinji is given Yui's "Well, that's good for you" line. Meaning is lost in either dub.

VSI: Nothing about a "Used Book and Video store" in dub dialogue on Bus. Likely will keep VSI.
"They're getting pretty cocky" From Misato, completely different from subs. ADV being used.
Shinji asks Rei and Asuka "What are your current positions?" instead of "Are you in position?" Makes the following lines completely confusing, as Rei answers Shinji's question with "Not there yet." Note, Rei and Asuka's lines afterward are correct. Not a problem because the Children are all ADV.
"Come on." Instead of "Where are they?" Same line as above ADV Mistranslation.
"What is this shadow?" Instead of "Its shadow!" According to the Khara subs this isn't a question.
A lot of Questions are being turned into statements and vice-versa.
Despite the dub and subs matching, "Well, that's good for you" is just a wholly better line. VSI Dub says "Oh, I'm glad to hear it"

Additions:
ADV: Couple of additions from Asuka, Scheisse, and Yes. Scheisse will likely stay.
VSI: "Yes" from Shinji, nothing in subs.

I've been left in a pickle due to neither dub really getting the whole "Well, that's good for you" meaning correct. ADV gets the line right but gives the first instance of the line to Shinji instead of Yui, messing up the aftermath when Rei says the line in the hospital. Meanwhile, VSI fixes the above mistake and correctly gives the line to Yui, but now the line itself is wrong, instead being "Oh, I'm glad to hear it." Which imo, doesn't work nearly as well as the earlier translation. (For reference, the LTP project is the same as ADV, and putting the Japanese line into DeepL also gives "Good for you" as the translation). I'm not completely sure what to do here, and I might just have to deal with it. I don't really have any other options.

I'm really excited to start work on this Episode! Especially all the stuff while Shinji is in the Sea of Dirac as the convo between two Shinji will now literally be between two Shinji's.

Return to “Fan Works”