The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: The Macross Legacy Thread (Incl. +/DYRL/Zero/Seven/Frontier/Δ)

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:13 am

Finished Frontier; took a bit to get there, but the show got its act together quite confidently at the end. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solidly executed last third or so. Probably not gonna rewatch it any time soon, but looking back, definitely worth its runtime.
Unfortunately, the model kits are entirely too large for me to feasibly put on my shelf, so I'll have to look at something else for that
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Finished Frontier; took a bit to get there, but the show got its act together quite confidently at the end. Nothing groundbreaking, but a solidly executed last third or so. Probably not gonna rewatch it any time soon, but looking back, definitely worth its runtime.
Unfortunately, the model kits are entirely too large for me to feasibly put on my shelf, so I'll have to look at something else for that

If you didn't know the films actually do a "NTE" style thing that reinterprets but also expands on the universe; so don't think they're the usual clip shows! Plus lots of cute Ranka!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:18 pm

This doesn't exactly relate to any of the Macross anime properites, but I thought I should post this to anyone who is interested.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:10 pm

I just finished Zettai Live!!!!!!. Movie was rad, the ending made me tear up a bit.

I think its interesting that the Frontier and Delta movies both end up with much more bittersweet endings than the TV series ever did. At least I'm assuming this is the ending to the Delta story, it would be really weird to have a third movie as a direct followup after this one.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:07 pm

On the topic of Delta, I finished the base show; it's a bit of an odd case.
Most of the initial show is kinda unfocused and doesn't really know where it's going, the last couple of episodes do know where they're going, but they're so excited about it that the dialogue trips over itself a lot of the time. Apart from the one episode that set the new record for highest number of dubious retcons I've seen in a single episode, I didn't dislike any of it, but on the whole, Frontier certainly stuck the landing better.
The love triangle plot also felt very uncomfortable with its own existence this time around, and the things I've heard about it being executive meddling definitely scan

Gonna check out the movies one of these days
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:35 pm

Watched Zettai Live. That... sure was a movie.
SPOILER: Show
I already had very tempered expectations when I saw the first scene of the new villains, a loooot of red flags for the quality in their general setup, but I was not prepared. The ending stuck the landing well enough, some weird tonal back and forth nonwithstanding, but what in the actual hell happened in the other 80% of the movie.
Also very not a fan of what I'm told are changes made in the Delta compilation movie; this seems to have cut out most if not all of Hayate's personal arc and stake in the war, at which point why bother.
But hey, at least the music was good and the Armored Siegfried is very cool

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:25 pm

I've been rewatching SDF Macross on kind of a whim lately since it doesn't seem like it will get an official blu-ray release in the U.S. any time soon, and man I've forgotten how good this is compared to some uh, other 80's mecha lol. A basic sense of character writing really does wonders for helping an old show hold up- like I love the scene early on where, after escaping a life or death scenario with Hikaru, Minmay starts fussing about how her hair looks. Hikaru asks Minmay if her hair is more important than her life and she jokingly tells him yes and they both laugh about it.

I will say there is a lot more goofy stuff than I remembered (Like how they actually get the city inside the Macross is kind of a mystery to me), but it still plays as a charming break from reality to me to some extent in these early episodes and as a sign of the times it was made in.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:07 am

Hi, i'm actually on Frontier is a pretty good show. I like mecha desinges (sorry for spelled mistake).

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:11 am

Frontier is a bit rough around the edges in some places, but yeah, on the whole it's a pretty good watch.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:56 am

I'm really looking forward to rewatching the Frontier TV version but I decided to wait until the American bluray comes out to do that and well, it seems I still have a good long while to wait lol.

Luckily I have the movies from that one rather absurd JP set that has English subs, and those are always a blast to go through.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:39 am

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:34 am

The Kickstarter proper is now up.

I went for the $75 tier myself.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:02 am

So, about Zettai Live: I mean, this is a weirdly luddite movie, right, and the antagonists absolutely do have a point? They're otherwise psychos and will use nukes in the atmosphere, but they do have a point: Who died and made Lady M the Emperor of Man? Why is the N.U.N. taking orders from her (them? it?) and keeping obviously useful technologies suppressed? Being careful with Protoculture relics is one thing, but this just makes the good guys seem like they're in a cult, listening to some strange woman lyin' in a subspace pond. It rubs me the wrong way since Macross has always been a very tech-positive, utopian franchise in a "whatever works" sort of way, and even this film sticks with that when Chaos very quickly adopts the enemies' supposedly ethically questionable song weaponization tech to give themselves a fighting chance, and it's not treated as some major moral Rubicon. Whatever works.

Seems to me Kawamori is clearly mad about generative AI, and that angle could have worked, because if there's any home-grown tech the powers to be might want to ban in the Macross universe, it's any sort of culture-killing or creativity-sapping mind rots. Being charitable, broader AI controls or even bans might make sense in an SRW crossover universe because old super robot shows really liked having an evil alien computer as the ultimate villain, but what's the bad precedent here? The Sharon Apple incident was the smallest of potatoes considering what humanity just went through in the First Space War, and the danger came mostly from the associated mind control tech anyway. But granted, there was a bad AI incident once. Suppressing cloning and cybernetics on the other hand is just nonsensical Space Pope shit because it's apparent just by looking at the later shows that biotech and life sciences among humanity at large must be at an incredibly advanced level, the size-changing booths being the prime example.

That was my biggest plot-related issue with Macross Delta: why doesn't it seem to be anyone's priority to solve the Windermereans' life span curse? All Protoculture spawn are genetically highly similar to the point of being able to interbreed, so it doesn't seem like it should be an impossible problem to crack, but it's not even handwaved away. There's just this fatalist acceptance towards it, and nobody ever questions if the situation could be alleviated in any way. So, when Heimdall was introduced as this anti-luddite faction, I perked up, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Surely this whole tech suppression angle must be tied to this ghost of a plot point, and it's Lady M who's cockblocking Hayato out of a happy family life. Now that would be an interesting conflict with massive personal stakes. But no, turns out these two things are unrelated, and the Windermereans will just keep on dying like dayflies. The missed potential is just obscene.

To be fair, there were things I liked too. Bogue gets some funny character moments and Mirage has an entire sub-plot to herself that really develops her character, even if it's quite goofy how her tactician superpowers are suddenly activated. There's more genetic awakening here than in the MJP movie that was literally called that. The Yami_Q_Ray Mikuroids have striking designs, but they really don't do all that much, and despite what the poster might lead one to believe, they don't get to individually duel their fleshbag counterparts, or turn men crazy or anything. There's nothing new here in terms of music battles, it's the same fold wave tug-of-wars as in the TV series.

As for the ending, just my personal opinion,

SPOILER: Show
but I would have preferred if there had been a longer time skip, during which Hayate and Freya had a baby in the normal way, thus in this one case solving the life span curse via the interbreeding route. Instead, Hayate ends up adopting a random baby girl who by rights should be a clone of Mikumo, but isn't.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:42 pm

Zettai Live was kind of flopping around ineffectively with many of its plot elements, yeah.

Return to “Anime and Manga”