Project Germanicus: A Three-Part Play

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Thorion
Embryo

Project Germanicus: A Three-Part Play

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 pm

Having begun this play on FanFiction.net, I now bring it here, a simple story that I started dreaming up when waiting for my ride to pick me up from work one day. It is nothing amazing, but it is something different.

PART I

ACT I

SCENE I

(An empty stage where an unknown gentleman of twenty-three stands, clad mostly in black, blazer, dress pants, shoes, fedora, save for his red dress shirt. His right-hand upon a horse-headed walking stick, he stares out as two individuals, Shinji and Asuka, ENTER from opposite ends of the stage.)

CONN: (Gesturing at Shinji, who waves.) He is Shinji Ikari. He might not look like much and be somewhat sullen and sarcastic, but as the lame tiger Shere Khan was a villain of one story, so too is this unremarkable looking boy a hero of this story. (Gesturing at Asuka, who curtsies.) And she is Asuka Langley Soryu, another of our heroes, and honestly looks more like hero material… Both of them have some problems, but don't we all? My father… Died when I was very young and so my mother and I went to live with her brother, half-brother I wish I could say as my grandmother had been married to someone before my grandfather, but unfortunately, my uncle had been just as much fathered by my grandfather as my mother had… My uncle was… (Shaking his head.) Forgive me. I am Conn. Conn Temujin O'Sullivan, formerly of… Well, it doesn't matter. I work for NERV now. (Gesturing at Shinji and Asuka.) I never thought I'd see the day where teenagers, adolescents, were piloting giant robots to fight monsters that H. P. Lovecraft could have dreamed up, though with how strange the universe is, you'd think I'd have been prepared. Shinji Ikari, Asuka Langley Soryu, Kaworu Nagisa (ENTER KAWORU, who bows.), Rei Ayanami (ENTER Rei, who nods.) and… (ENTER TOJI.) Uh… Titania, I think his name is. (TOJI prepares to dab, but stops when he realizes CONN got his name wrong. Everyone except CONN, stare at TOJI with raised eyebrows.) All so young, they should have been living normal lives, but as we all know, what is and what should be are as different as a kind word is from the lash of a whip… I entered their story one rainy morning, arriving at the apartment of Major Misato Katsuragi. (EXIT EVERYONE, but CONN, Shinji AND Asuka.) I'd been instructed to get some paperwork from her, she failed to hand it over while we were both "at the office", so to speak, and so I came to her apartment to pick it up. As I reach the door, the first thing I hear is…

Asuka: Idiot Shinji, stop changing the channel!

Shinji: Oh, no! What a nightmare! It's the end of the world because you don't get to watch some American romance you've seen a hundred times!

Asuka: Then go do something else!

CONN: (To the audience.) It was at this point that I wondered if being present for an argument between two teenaged maniacs was really worth it. Ultimately, I just knocked on the door. (Raises a hand and mimes knocking on a door, while the accompanying sound effect plays.)

Shinji: (Walks over and mimes opening a door.) Hello, how can I help you?

CONN: (To the audience.) Now, I had never met Shinji prior to this, but I had met his paterfamilias Commander Gendo Ikari… I really hate that man… Anyway, I could tell Shinji was Gendo's scion, there was certainly a resemblance. (To Shinji.) Uh, yes, I am here for Major Katsuragi's paperwork in regards to the latest Angel battle.

Shinji: That was nearly two months ago!

CONN: Yes, and it really has been nice and peaceful, hasn't it? Now, would the Major be home. I'd like to collect that paperwork.

Shinji: She is asleep, but I can get them for you.

CONN: Thank you. (Shinji mimes closing a door and briefly EXITS, RE-ENTERING with a folder in his hand, mimes opening a door and hands the folder to CONN.) Thank you, Shinji Ikari.

Shinji: How do you know my name?

CONN: I know your appellation, because I can see and hear. (Coldly.) You really are an idiot.

Shinji: (Rolling his in annoyance as Asuka comes up from behind him.) And who are you?

CONN: (Inspecting the contents of the folder.) Conn O'Sullivan. I work in NERV's archives. (Sighs.) These are for the Angel battle before the last one. I will take these, but I will still need the paperwork for the last battle. (Shinji walks away, grumbling under his breath while Asuka takes her place at the doorway. CONN turns his attention to Asuka.) You'd be better off finding a more intelligent boyfriend, Miss.

Asuka: HE'S NOT MY BOYFRIEND AND DON'T YOU DARE CALL HIM AN IDIOT! (Approaching with the correct folder, Shinji pauses before continuing over.)

CONN: (Tapping his walking stick against the doorframe while laughing.) Yes, indeed. (Shinji hands CONN the folder, who proceeds to inspect the folder.) Yes, yes, this is it. Thank you and if I were you, Shinji, I'd find a girlfriend with a better temperament. Here now, what's this? (Pulls a note out of the folder.) "Conn, if you tell anyone about me and", Ah, yes… Well… (Looks at his walking stick.) Message received… Goodbye, Shinji Ikari, (Teasingly.) Mrs. Ikari. (EXITS.)

(ENTER Misato.)

Misato: That big-nosed, rubber-faced bastard! I thought I heard his voice. Don't let him get under your skin, Asuka. Conn likes to tease, but he can be an ass sometimes.

Shinji: Ms. Misato, has he met my father before?

Misato: He has Shinji. When he learned children were piloting the Evas, he swore that if anything happened to any of you, then he would fight your father and he would kill him.

Shinji: (Half-shocked.) Kill my father?

NOTES

When I was dreaming up this story the extent of my knowledge had to do with the ending, which is a long way off, with the then-nameless Conn holding a theatre curtain, basically saying goodbye to the reader. What else was going on, I withhold. It was because of the curtain, that I decided to write this fan fiction as a play. An odd choice, but there you go. Ironically, while writing this, I picture it as being done in the round, which has no curtains.

I made a decision early on to take inspiration from various parts of the franchise. Thus, Shinji and Asuka will be based on their more heroic and nicer counterparts from the manga and possibly others.

As basically the chorus, yet still a character in his own right, Conn will not be present for every scene. In fact, he will actually be absent for a good portion at some point. In relation, due to him being a character in his own right, I felt it necessary that he be an actual person. With him coldly referring to Shinji as an idiot, I established him as a jerk, but as Misato relates of his swearing an oath to kill Gendo should anything happen to any of the kids, he isn't a complete jerk, though probably a little bit dramatic. He was originally going to be more of a jerk, outright striking Asuka in the arm with his walking stick for raising her voice towards him. Shinji would have come to Asuka's defense, but I ultimately decided against it for making Conn too much of a jerk.

I apologize for Toji dabbing. After Shinji waving, Asuka curtsying, Kaworu's bowing and what not, I was at a loss and basically said: "Let Toji dab!"

Before I fully devoted to myself to the play idea, I had a completely different idea for a plot involving Shinji and Asuka having had a one-night stand and after they were soon after "separated by fate", so to speak, they meet again years later with Asuka the mother of a child, Shinji's of course. I hadn't the entire plot figured out yet, but I had a thought of the Proto-Conn, then a librarian, telling Asuka to tell Shinji she loved him and that the child was his.

If you a curious about the title "Project Germanicus", I was struggling with a title for two days, so I just used the first one that came to mind. Prior to that, the title was simply "Neon Genesis Evangelion Play". The title may change in the future if "Project Germanicus" never fits.

Thorion
Embryo

Re: Project Germanicus: A Three-Part Play

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:11 am

As I am in the process of transferring this story, I will be putting up a scene once a day until we get up to speed. I'm not going to do it all in one day, it is best to pace myself.

PART I

ACT I

SCENE II

(A number of chairs are placed upon the stage as a representation of a classroom. ENTER HIKARI.)

HIKARI: (To the audience.) As Asuka told me, she and Shinji had been neighbours once upon a time. She had been the first girl he had ever met and he had been the first boy she had ever met, so the story goes. They had been four when they had first met, it had been a year after Shinji's father basically gave up on him and left him with an aunt and uncle and Asuka's mother had recently committed suicide, her father later abandoning her. I guess it makes sense those two would have found each other. (Various students begin to enter the scene including Shinji, Asuka, Rei, TOJI and KENSUKE.) It was a nice Monday morning with everyone waiting for class to start. Kensuke was talking about a conspiracy theory…

KENSUKE: I'm telling you birds and cows are plotting against humanity!

HIKARI: (Rather perplexed.) A particularly weird one… Anyway, Toji was sitting in the back listening to Kensuke, Shinji was doing some checkups on some homework on his laptop, Rei Ayanami was staring out the window while Asuka and I discussed the upcoming dance. (To Asuka.) So, who are you thinking about going with? Toji has asked me, so I'm going with him. Taketoki seems interested in taking you.

Asuka: Well, I'm not interested in going with Taketoki. (Asuka and HIKARI both look over at one of their classmates, TAKETOKI, who smiles and winks at the former.) You'd think someone would get the message after being dumped. Why did I ever agree to go on a date with him?

HIKARI: I asked because he's my sister's friend.

Asuka: I should have just said no.

HIKARI: Then who would you like to go with?

Asuka: I have someone in mind. (She looks over at Shinji, who just keeps doing last minute checks on his homework.)

TOJI: (To the audience.) I've been friends with Kensuke for a while. Shinji, not so much, but I still consider him one of my best friends. They are like my brothers and I want them to be happy. Shinji told me about his past with Asuka and honestly, I'm rooting for them to get together. Anyway, while listening to Kensuke tells us of this bizzarro conspiracy theory involving birds and cows plotting against humanity, I noticed Taketoki smiling and winking at Asuka. With me having asked Hikari to go to the upcoming dance, it just made sense that Taketoki was thinking about asking Asuka. Now, I've never liked Taketoki Ichimonji. As Conn would suggest to me, it may be that I see him as "my reflection in a cracked mirror". That guy has a weird way with words. Anyway, I notice Taketoki smiling and winking and so I just turn to Shinji and ask him: (To Shinji.) So, Shinji, you thinking about going to the dance with anybody? I asked Hikari and she said yes, so what about you? You got someone on your mind?

KENSUKE: Yeah, I asked Mana Kirishima and she said she'd go with me, so who are you going with, Shinji?

Shinji: (Not looking away from his homework.) I don't know. I might just not go. Dances have never really been my thing. They have always been Asuka's with me just accompanying her.

TOJI: You ever wonder if it has been more than you just accompanying her? Has she ever asked you to dance with her?

Shinji: (Turns his head slightly to look at TOJI with a small smile.) Yes… Yes, she did.

KENSUKE: And did you?

Shinji: Yes, we did.

TOJI: Then why don't you go ask her?

(Shinji looks over at Asuka, who smiles at him. He smiles back until he notices TAKETOKI staring at her, he begins to slump in his seat.)

TOJI: (Under his breath.) Come on, Shinji!

KENSUKE: Go get her!

(Shinji stands up only for the OLD TEACHER to enter.)

OLD TEACHER: Time for class, students! Everyone in their seats! (Any students who were not already in their seats immediately sit down in a chair while Shinji just sits back down.)

KENSUKE: Ask her after class, Shinji.

TOJI: If you can remember. This old windbag can make you forget anything, if he doesn't put you to sleep.

Shinji: (To himself.) Thank goodness for the intranet! (After a few moments, he once again slumps in his seat and looks up at the ceiling.) School's wi-fi is out… Great.

(TAKETOKI hands a note to a neighbouring classmate and whispers something to them. Eventually the note is passed all the way over to Asuka. TOJI notices, taps Shinji on the shoulder and then points at what is going on. Staring with wide eyes, Shinji watches as the note reaches Asuka. Taking a moment to read the note, Asuka takes a pencil/pen and checks off a box, then handing the note back until it once again reaches TAKETOKI. Upon reading the note TAKETOKI lets out a loud, exasperated sigh, causing everyone, except the OLD TEACHER to turn and look at him, before returning to whatever it was they were doing.)

NOTES

As this is meant to draw from various parts of the franchise, it is only natural that the portrayals of Shinji and Asuka a childhood friends would be one such element featured, albeit differently, since I still use the tragic elements of Shinji and Asuka's original backstories. I do imagine that they may have been separated for a time, only to meet again on the aircraft carrier.

I imagine this play as being performed minimally. All people would need is costumes, chairs, props, etc.

As you might have guessed from Hikari and Toji speaking to the audience, the role of chorus will be split among a few characters. Originally OC Conn Temujin O'Sullivan was meant to be the sole chorus, until I realized that this would either result in Shinji, Asuka and the rest having diminished roles or Conn presenting information to the audience that he realistically couldn't have known.

Taketoki Ichimonji's name, since I can't remember us ever learning the name of the guy that Hikari set Asuka up with in the fifteenth episode of the original series, is derived from the protagonists of "Throne of Blood" and "Ran": Taketoki Washizu and Hidetori Ichimonji.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Here we are with the next scene and just between you and me, the reason these seem short is because they were originally double-spaced. Clearly you can write a story double-spaced, but not a play double-spaced.

PART I

ACT I

SCENE III

(An empty stage with various NERV staff walking back and forth. ENTER HYUGA, Misato and RITSUKO from one end of the stage and CONN from another carrying a folder.)

HYUGA: You look pretty worn to the bone, Major Katsuragi.

Misato: I have reasons for being worn. Private ones.

RITSUKO: (Deadpan.) Kaji's bone?

Misato: Shut your face!

CONN: Ah, Major Katsuragi, Dr. Akagi, First Lieutenant Hyuga, I was looking for you. Would any of you know anything about a "Project Germanicus" dated to nine months ago?

RITSUKO: (Confused.) Project what?

HYUGA: (Equally confused.) Come again?

Misato: (Holds out a hand and CONN hands the folder to her. Opening the folder, she becomes even more confused that RITSUKO and HYUGA.) What is this chicken scratch, Conn?

CONN: Exactly what I was wondering, Major. Title and date aside, everything is in a writing system that I don't recognize. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was Linear A, which the Minoan Civilization of Crete used, but the fact is that system is undeciphered.

Misato: Not unless Commander Ikari missed his calling and has deciphered it in secret. (Holds the folder over to CONN.) See? His signature is right here.

RITSUKO: (Grabs the folder from Misato before CONN can even get to look at the signature.) Let me see that! (She walks to the far-side of the stage, staring at the signature intensely.)

HYUGA: How exactly did you find this, Conn?

CONN: You see, First Lieutenant, I was making sure everything was in order. I found this in the in the B section and was in the process of putting it where it should be when some bastard who I must have pissed off hurled a rock at me causing me to drop the folder and see the contents… Maybe Commander Ikari put him up to it for basically challenging him to a duel for if anything happens to any of the children.

Misato: (Rolling her eyes.) Conn, Commander Ikari would have fired you and besides, everyone just thinks you odd and overdramatic. Do you know what he looked like?

CONN: (Sheepishly.) Oh… Dark hair, dark eyes…

Misato: You just described most of the male population of Japan.

CONN: (Nodding, he taps his walking stick against his right foot.) Indeed, Major.

Misato: (To HYUGA.) Hyuga, go and get Ibuki and Aoba!

HYUGA: Right, Major! (EXITS.)

Misato: (To CONN.) Conn, go and find Special Inspector Kaji and remember, he is not blond!

CONN: (To the audience.) For some reason, I kept thinking that Special Inspector Ryoji Kaji was blond. (To Misato.) Yes, Major! (He begins to walk away in the direction he came from.)

Misato: (She stares with eyes glazed over, absolutely no faith in CONN's ability to find Kaji.) Hold it, Conn. Better make sure you can actually find Kaji. (She walks over to RITSUKO and takes the folder from her, before joining CONN.) Do you know anything about this "Germanicus" name, Conn? (EXEUNT.)

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:40 am

Continuing on, we return to the kids and what it is going on at school.

PART I

ACT I

SCENE IV

(The School Library. Shinji, Asuka, TOJI, HIKARI and KENSUKE all sit at a table with history books in front of them. Rei sits at another table, a book in front of her. A LIBRARIAN, goes about their work.)

TOJI: (Lowering his book, he stares at the audience, sighs.) History had never been one of my best subjects. A bunch of people from the past doing whatever, but my dad always thought taking this class would do me some good. Anyway, we all had to do research for a history project and our teacher decided to play things differently by pulling names out of two hats, so Shinji ended up with Vlad the Impaler (Not exactly thrilled with his assigned historical person, Shinji holds up his book.), Asuka got Saladin (Rather perplexed as to who Saladin is, Asuka holds up her book.), Hikari got Bayinnaung (Genuinely interested, HIKARI excitedly holds up her book.), Kensuke got Montezuma (More than a little confused as to who his historical figure is, KENSUKE holds up his book), Ayanami ended up with the Dukes of Burgundy (Rei just holds up her book.) and I ended up with Genghis Khan. Who the hell even were some of these people? (To his classmates.) WHO EVEN ARE THESE PEOPLE? HAS THE OLD GUY FINALLY LOST IT?

LIBRARIAN: (Turns to TOJI.) Shh!

HIKARI: Personally, I find this so interesting. I love world history!

Asuka: You know when you are told you are going to be doing a history assignment on a major figure from the Crusades, some people might have thought Frederick Barbarossa or King Richard.

Shinji: I'm not sure how I feel about having doing a project on someone called "the Impaler."

(ENTER TAKETOKI)

TOJI: (To the audience.) Then you had Taketoki who ended up with Algirdas and Kestutis… (Shrugs), I have no idea. Just some important historical dudes from somewhere, I guess.

(Noticing TAKETOKI, a look of disinterest spreads across Asuka's countenance. TAKETOKI walks over to, walking behind her specifically and placing a hand on her shoulder.)

TAKETOKI: Reading something good?

Asuka: (More than a little annoyed.) Hands off! Now!

TAKETOKI: (Still with his hand on her shoulder.) Come on, why hang out with the class rep, the wimp who got lucky to be an Eva pilot, the conspiracy theorist, the dork who never bothers to wear the correct uniform and… (Looking over at Rei.) the android over there. (Everyone stares at him, fairly unhappy with his comments.)

Shinji: She said hands off!

HIKARI: Besides, we are all doing research for our history assignments. Why aren't you doing the same?

Shinji: (Completely Deadpan.) He's probably going for the lowest grade in the class.

TAKETOKI: Shut up! (He punches Shinji in the head, resulting in the other students standing up, with Asuka quickly punching TAKETOKI square in the face.)

LIBRARIAN: Woah, there kids! Ichimonji, I saw what you did. Go to the office this instant! (Rolling his eyes, TAKETOKI makes his EXIT. The LIBRARIAN then looks at Shinji.) Alright, everyone back to what they were doing.

Asuka: (Concerned.) Are you alright, Shinji?

Shinji: (Rubbing where TAKETOKI hit him.) Yeah, I'll be fine. [EXEUNT.)

NOTES

I actually did pull names out of a hat for everyone but Shinji and Toji. Shinji having to do an assignment on Vlad the Impaler comes from a particularly weird piece of art, that may be official, taking place at what I am presuming is, I kid you not, a NERV Halloween party featuring Shinji as Dracula/a generic vampire, Gendo as the Headless Horseman, Rei as a witch and Asuka as someone in a green dress. The historical figures are also derived from "Age of Empires II" campaigns. I just figured, why not?

I do apologize for the bits involving the kids being more or less, just regular school kids, but I figure if there hadn't been an angel in nearly two months, then lets just let them have the chance to be kids. If I am taking inspiration from the entirety of the franchise, then I can allow them to have normal lives for a moment.

I'd always intended for Taketoki to be something of a jerk, but it wasn't until this specific scene that I realized how much of a jerk he was going to be. I figure that if Conn is not a complete jerk, being someone who enjoys teasing people, but ultimately with his good parts, then Taketoki is the complete jerk, but we'll have to wait and see, it is still too early in the play to say.

Although I didn't mention in the notes for the second scene, Kensuke being a conspiracy theorist drawn from his "Campus Apocalypse" portrayal.

In a piece of information absent from the Fanfiction.net version, instead of Toji referring to his father, he originally referred to his parents. Remembering that the entirety of Class 2-A is comprised of students who have lost their mothers, I thought about Toji having a stepmother that he is close to, but figured I'd probably have been crucified for making a change like that, so I just edited the document and thus, the chapter.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:56 am

And here we are with the final scene of this act.

PART I

ACT I

SCENE V

(Misato's apartment. Shinji, Asuka, TOJI, HIKARI and KENSUKE are all sitting together writing down in their notebooks, HIKARI also holding a penguin plush close to her, when Misato, a blond Kaji and CONN enter the apartment. When the three adults enter, Shinji and Asuka both look up from their work. They then return to their notebooks, only to look up at the audience, wide-eyed and look over at the blond Kaji once more.)

Kaji: (Exasperated.) For the last time, Conn. We aren't screwing with you. I was just curious how I would look blond, so I dyed my hair last night. (Notices the kids and then whispers to him.) Okay, you explained to us that "Germanicus" means "Victorious in Germania."

CONN: (Whispering back.) I did, yes.

Kaji: Well, I can't help but feel that Project Germanicus might have something to do with Asuka.

CONN: (Genuinely confused.) Who?

Kaji: Asuka Langley Soryu.

Misato: (Grabbing herself a can of beer.) Known to you as "Mrs. Ikari." She's part German and like Shinji one of the pilots.

CONN: (With a grim expression.) His own scion? Commander Ikari is certifiable! (He looks at the kids for a moment, Asuka glaring at him while Shinji just raises a hand in greeting. He then turns his head away towards the door as he begins to think.)

Misato: (Walks over to the kids and leans over.) What are you five all hard at work with?

Shinji: Individual history assignments, Miss Misato.

HIKARI: (Gesturing at CONN.) Who is that?

Misato: Conn O'Sullivan, he works in NERV's archives. (Looking over at CONN.) Conn, these are Shinji and Asuka's friends: (CONN turns his head in their direction, but is clearly not fully paying attention) Kensuke Aida, Hikari Horaki and Toji Suzuhara.

KENSUKE: Hi!

HIKARI: Hello!

TOJI: Hey!

CONN: It is nice to meet you Kensuke Aida, Ikari Horaki and… Titania, was it?

HIKARI: I'm sorry, did he just call me "Ikari Horaki"?

TOJI: "Titania" isn't even close to my name!

Kaji: (Notices the penguin plush that HIKARI is holding close to her while she does her work.) I haven't seen Pen-Pen in years. I didn't know you still had him, Misato.

CONN: (Fully paying attention, he looks at Misato incredulously.) "Pen-Pen"? Are you serious? (Misato just shrugs. CONN shakes his head and turns his attention to the kids.) So, what is this history assignment that you all working on?

Asuka: Our teacher pulled names out of two different hats so we are all doing assignments on different historical figures. "Titania" here got Genghis Khan for example. (TOJI throws his hands up in the air and mouths the word "Why?")

CONN: (Smiling warmly.) Actually, it is pronounced "Chinggis Haan" and I do believe I may be able to help some of you out.

END OF PART I ACT I

NOTES

Conn mistakenly thinking Kaji is blond and as a result Kaji getting curious and dying his hair, is derived from a moment where I misremembered him as blond. I felt it made for a nice bit of humour.

As this is meant to be a play, I decided that Pen-Pen should be a penguin plush, specifically one that Kaji had won for Misato at a carnival. That way, he is still appearing somehow.

As the owner of a few graphic novel adaptations of plays, all of them Shakespearean, I can imagine the final panel for this act featuring Conn sitting with the kids and telling them what he knows about the specific historical figures they are doing assignments on, some of them smiling while Toji looks rather annoyed at Conn having gotten his name wrong. A graphic novel adaptation? There I go, thinking too big.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:29 am

Here begins the second act of the first part. Enjoy.

PART I

ACT II

SCENE I

(NERV's command room. Misato and RITSUKO stand ready, staring out at the audience while MAYA sits at the controls.)

RITSUKO: "Victorious in Germania…" and you and Kaji think that it might have something to do with Asuka?

Misato: We do.

RITSUKO: And what does our historian think?

Misato: Conn thinks we're jumping to conclusions, pointing out that many individuals had that title and one even had it as their name.

RITSUKO: So, it could be a reference to anyone and not just the title.

Misato: It looks that way.

RITSUKO: (Sighs.) Great. Did he put forth any ideas after he helped the kids out with the history assignments?

Misato: A few and they are both related to guys who were descended from the one whose name was the title.

RITSUKO: Did he say what their names were?

Misato: Yeah, Caligula and Nero. Conn said something about the first guy making his horse a public official and the other burned down a portion of Rome to build himself a new palace.

MAYA: Pilots are ready! The Simulation Plug is now under MAGI's control.

RITSUKO: (Looks to the side.) This is odd.

Misato: What's wrong, Ritsuko?

RITSUKO: Shinji's synch ratio isn't rising. At this rate I can't retrieve any data.

Misato: (Quietly.) Shinji, are you sleeping on your job?

Shinji: (Offstage.) I'm awake.

Asuka: (Offstage.) You're daydreaming about taking a girl to the dance, aren't you? Anyone I know?

Shinji: (Offstage.) That's not it!

Asuka: (Offstage.) Who is it? Mana Kirishima? Mayumi Yamagishi?

Misato: Asuka, keep personal conversations to yourselves. This is an important test.

Asuka: (Offstage.) Either way, Shinji isn't someone who could ever beat me.

Shinji: (Offstage.) I don't know. I've beaten you when it has come to a few things, Asuka.

Asuka: (Offstage.) Hey, wanna play rock-paper-scissors?

Shinji: (Offstage.) Huh?

Asuka: (Offstage.) If you win, I'll buy you a brand-new W Walkman to replace the one I accidentally broke the other day.

Shinji: (Offstage.) Huh? Really?

Asuka: (Offstage.) Let's go!

Misato: (Dreading the coming result.) Oh, God!

NOTES

A good portion of this is based on a segment from "Girlfriend of Steel" with some adjustments.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:49 am

And now we are up to speed. I apologize for the short length, definitely a reason to not write a play double-spaced.

PART I

ACT II

SCENE II

(NERV's elevator. GENDO, FUYUTSUKI and CONN all stand together in the elevator, CONN holding a folder in his free hand and GENDO wearing a one-way visor.)

CONN: (To the audience.) One of the worst things in life is an awkward moment in the elevator and unfortunately for me, I was standing in one with the man I had challenged to a duel. All I could do was stand there, thinking about what I had said. I am an archivist I have no combat training. The chance of me actually killing Commander Ikari in a duel was about as good as Troy having not fallen. (Looks over to GENDO for a moment before looking once more at the audience.) Odd, he usually wears glasses. Why the visor?

FUYUTSUKI: (To CONN.) Why did you decide to come to Tokyo-3, Mr. O'Sullivan?

CONN: I wished to get as far away from my… I wished to get as far away as possible, Doctor Commander Fuyutsuki.

FUYUTSUKI: Deputy Commander.

CONN: Yes, yes… Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki.

FUYUTSUKI: What is in that folder you are carrying?

CONN: Just some personal work, some articles I am writing that I hope to get published. They are "On the Subject of the Supernatural", "On the Subject of Mysterious Monsters", "On the Subject of Legendary Lands"— (Everyone loses their footing for a moment as HQ begins to shake.) Bugger me with a fish fork, what the hell was that? (The elevator opens and all three EXIT.)

NOTES

Originally, this scene was going to only feature Gendo and Conn. There would have been a brief bit of questioning from Gendo in regards to the duel that Conn challenged him to, asking if the latter has a revolver. Conn would have answered in the negative, resulting in Gendo offering him one. I ultimately found it out of character, though with any manner of fan fiction, I suppose any character runs the risk of seeming out of character depending on the view of the writer and the reader. Though, in all honesty, in my mind Gendo would have either given Conn an empty revolver or one that just doesn't work.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:52 pm

PART I

ACT II

SCENE III

(A different room of NERV HQ. Misato sits at a table opposite of RITSUKO while Shinji, Asuka and Rei sit on chairs in the background.)

RITSUKO: (To Misato.) Eva isn't a toy! If an Angel shows up and our attack fails, everything is over! (To Shinji.) Shinji, are you listening?

Shinji: … Yes.

Misato: Just let it go, relaxation is sometimes good.

RITSUKO: You're so irresponsible!

Misato: Shinji isn't just some part of a machine!

RITSUKO: If it's about Shinji's body, I know it the best!

Shinji: Ritsuko…

Misato: Hey now, Shinji is eating the food in my house. Plus, we use the same bathtub.

Shinji: Misato…

RITSUKO: Commander Ikari would be quite sad if he heard this.

Misato: And of course, you want to please him.

RITSUKO: (Quietly.) It is my duty, but this Project Germanicus complicates things.

Shinji: W-What did she say?

Asuka: I couldn't hear!

RITSUKO: I'm cancelling today's experiment. (Turns to the pilots.) Everyone, please take care of yourselves.

Misato: Asuka, Rei, Shinji. Please get some rest today. Don't stay up too late. (ENTER GENDO, FUYUTSUKI and CONN. Misato turns her head in surprise as GENDO steps forward.) Commander Ikari.

Shinji: (Quietly.) Dad.

GENDO: What happened to the experiment? I don't remember telling you to stop it.

CONN: (To himself.) You have eyes, did you not see the broken glass? What did the experiment entail? Shadowboxing in those mechanical monstrosities? (For a moment, GENDO turns to look at CONN. With the visor his eyes are unreadable, but even then, he is clearly glaring at the archivist. Bowing his head, CONN looks away. GENDO returns his attention to everyone else.)

RITSUKO: I had to cancel it due to a trouble with the Third Child.

Misato: Ritsuko!

RITSUKO: It's the truth!

Asuka: The cause is Shinji thinking about who he is taking to the school dance.

CONN: School dance? Good lord, this nonsense exists around the world, doesn't it?

GENDO: Shinji.

Shinji: … Yes.

GENDO: If you're unhappy with piloting the Eva, get out of here. You're an eyesore.

CONN: I don't see any reason he has to be happy. From what I heard you basically drafted him and if he is an eyesore, it is because he was fathered by one.

GENDO: (Turning his attention to CONN.) Do you have something to say, archivist?

CONN: (Meeting GENDO's gaze.) I've said enough, sir.

GENDO: Does Head Archivist Vladimirovich know you are down here?

CONN: He's not come in yet, sir. He must still be ill.

GENDO: Get to the archives. (EXITS, followed by FUYUTSUKI.)

CONN: At once, Commander Ikari! (Once GENDO is out of earshot.) In due time. (Looking at the pilots, CONN's attention falls upon Rei. Confused, he looks over at Misato and RITSUKO.) Who is this?

RITSUKO: Rei Ayanami.

CONN: (With the hand holding the folder, CONN attempts to raise his hat in greetings to Rei. Upon remembering that he has the folder in one hand and is holding onto his walking stick with the other, he simply nods.) Pleased to meet you, Rei Ayanami. (Rei merely stares at CONN with indifference. Unbothered, CONN turns his attention to Misato and RITSUKO.) Look, now that the refugee from a 1970's British sci-fi show is gone, I was wondering if the three of us could speak.

Misato: Yes, of course. Asuka, Rei, Shinji, go on, you are all dismissed. (Rei stands up and makes her EXIT, but Shinji and Asuka, both eye Misato, RITSUKO and CONN with suspicion before standing and EXITING as well.)

RITSUKO: (To CONN.) What information do you have?

CONN: Well, Dr. Akagi, last night I remembered that when East Francia became Germany, Louis the German, its first king, was posthumously granted the appellation "Germanicus". To my thinking, the Major here and Special Inspector Kaji may be right when they think it has something to do with Asuka Langley Soryu. She is so far the only pilot with German heritage, why not name the project after the first German monarch?

Misato: But do you have any idea what the text says? (CONN can do naught but sigh and look down.) Maybe Kaji has been able to discover something.

NOTES

The head archivist Vladimirovich is an attempt to make Conn seem less out of place by implying that NERV has a few employees of foreign origin. At this time, I'm even thinking that Vladimirovich may have been transferred from a Russian branch, however I can't remember anything at the time about any international branches of NERV in the franchise.

Referring to Gendo as a refugee from a 1970's British sci-fi show comes him being physically based on Ed Bishop as Ed Straker on "UFO." Since Fuyutsuki was modelled after Alec Freeman as George Sewell from the same series, he was going to be included in this, however due to also resembling Peter Cushing, an actor I am more familiar with, I felt any comments from Conn would be better suited to referencing Cushing's filmography.

Obviously, a good portion of this scene is based on a scene from "Girlfriend of Steel" as well. If given the chance, I will try to base scenes off of pre-existing scenes from the franchise, albeit with some difference.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:07 pm

PART I

ACT II

SCENE IV

(The garden. Kaji is hard at work when Misato, RITSUKO, MAYA and CONN arrive with HYUGA and AOBA not far behind. Noticing them, Kaji waves a hand in greeting. Nearby lies a folder.)

Kaji: Not everyday we see us all together. Anyone discover anything about this Project Germanicus?

Misato: Not as much as we like, Kaji, but it seems like Conn is now in the same boat we are when it comes to what it might be about.

Kaji: Really, now? (To CONN.) What changed your mind?

RITSUKO: (Answering before CONN can.) Apparently, Germany's first king had posthumously been given the name "Germanicus".

Kaji: Really? That's interesting. Now, Conn, what can you tell me about an ancient Roman victory title for in Britain? Was there ever a British monarch given that title posthumously?

CONN: (Shocked.) P-Project Britannicus? You've found a Project Britannicus?

RITSUKO: But so far there are only four pilots and none of them are of British descent.

CONN: I don't know about that. Commander Ikari looks ambiguously British, at least to me. If Project Germanicus has to do with Asuka Langley Soryu then this Project Britannicus might have to do with Shinji Ikari.

Kaji: Not exactly, but I think you might be on the right track. (Kaji picks up the file and hands it to Misato.)

Misato: (Opens the folder and begins to read from the file.) Rei Ayanami, Asuka Langley Soryu, Shinji Ikari, Toji Suzuhara, Kaworu Nagisa, Hikari Horaki, Kensuke Aida, Mari Makinami Illustrious…

CONN: "Mari Makinami Illustrious"? Good lord, that must be the most pretentious appellation I have ever heard!

Misato: T-This looks like…

MAYA: A list of Evangelion pilots!

RITSUKO: But there are only supposed to be four at the moment.

AOBA: Might be an indication of how many Evas have been built so far.

Kaji: I looked into the background of each of them and this Mari is part British. Conn, you told me and Misato that there had been an Ancient Roman general named Germanicus. Had there been an ancient Roman general named Britannicus?

CONN: N-No, but there had been an individual named Britannicus.

RITSUKO: Any relation to Germanicus?

CONN: Y-Yes, Britannicus was the son of Claudius, Germanicus' younger brother, therefore the nephew of the general. W-Wherefore? What is going on here? What are you two suggesting?

Misato: I think they are under the impression that Project Germanicus might be a part of a series and I think they might be right.

HYUGA: For what though? What is being planned for Asuka and this Mari?

(Everyone turns their attention to CONN, now looking at the list in Misato's hand. Realizing everyone is looking at him, CONN looks around with a blank expression.)

CONN: What?

Kaji: You're the history guy, tell us what you know.

CONN: About what?

MAYA: (Coldly.) About Germanicus' nephew Britannicus.

CONN: Can someone other than Commander Ikari's bastard tell me?

MAYA: (Furious.) Stop calling me that! I have a name!

CONN: Yes, I know, it is just more fun seeing you get like this.

Misato: Leave Maya alone, Conn, and answer the question.

CONN: (Nodding.) A-Alright, Major Katsuragi, though there isn't much to tell since Britannicus was almost fourteen when he was poisoned.

(Everyone stares at the archivist, wide-eyed. RITSUKO opens her mouth to speak only to close it again.)

HYUGA: H-How old did you say?

CONN: Almost fourteen, First Lieutenant Hyuga.

AOBA: Fourteen! The age the children are now!

RITSUKO: Oh, my God…

Misato: And how did Germanicus die?

CONN: He became ill in Antioch and died there. Ancient sources say he was poisoned, but this was never proven. (MAYA covers her mouth with a hand, AOBA takes a few steps back and HYUGA can do naught but speechlessly stare at the archivist. Misato, Kaji and RITSUKO all exchange worried looks while CONN comes to the realization.) Y-You don't think Commander Ikari is planning to… What in God's name would that accomplish?

Kaji: I don't know, but we are going to find out. Misato, Ritsuko and I will see what I can find throughout HQ. Conn, you and Maya head over to the archives and see what might be there. Maybe there is a Project Britannicus. (CONN and MAYA both stare at one another, the latter not looking forward to the former's company.) Hyuga, Aoba, you better go with Conn and Maya too, just to make sure Conn behaves himself. (EXEUNT.)

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:08 pm

PART I

ACT II

SCENE V

(Outside of NERV HQ. Shinji and Asuka ENTER.)

Asuka: We've been seeing a lot of that archivist lately. Do you have any idea what could be going on, Shinji?

Shinji: (Shrugs.) I don't know, Asuka. Maybe there is some paperwork that Miss Misato and Ritsuko still haven't turned in that needs to be archived. What do you think of him?

Asuka: I think he is a bit absent-minded. Did you see how he wasn't paying attention when Hikari, Aida and Suzuhara were introduced to him?

Shinji: Yeah, but in Hikari's case I think he just got confused. If he ever calls me "Shinji Hikari" when me and her are in the same place that would prove it.

Asuka: What about him calling Suzuhara "Titania"? You can't say he was confused then.

Shinji: (Giving a small laugh.) No, I think it is just like you said: he wasn't even paying attention… But with what Misato told us about him swearing he'd kill my father if anything happened to any of us, I wonder if there was a different subject on his mind that he wanted to talk to Misato and Ritsuko about.

Asuka: Like he's planning a coup or something and wants to convince them to join?

Shinji: I wouldn't say that, Asuka. Its just… I don't know.

(A moment of silence passes between the two. Thoughts of what could be going on fill their heads, but ultimately neither voice them.)

Asuka: So… Who are you taking to the school dance, Shinji?

Shinji: Not Mana or Mayumi, besides Kensuke's taking Mana.

Asuka: (Flabbergasted.) A-Aida and Mana? Are you serious? (Shinji nods and an impressed expression appears upon Asuka's face.) Wow… Good for him!

Shinji: What about you? Is there someone you are going with, Asuka?

Asuka: Not Taketoki, that's for sure. I wouldn't go with that arsch mit ohren if he was the only boy in school!

Shinji: W-Who would you go with then?

Asuka: (Staring into Shinji's eyes.) Someone I've known for a long time and have a strong connection with… Someone who has always been there for me just as I've always been there for him, who understands me just as I do him.

Shinji: (Staring back into Asuka's eyes, he smiles at her and holds out a hand. Returning the smile, Asuka begins to reach for his hand when TOJI, HIKARI and KENSUKE ENTER. Upon seeing what is going on, a big smile appears on HIKARI's face and she cradles her face in her hands, a starry look in her eyes while KENSUKE can only smile and put his hands over his heart.)

TOJI: Hey, newlyweds! What's going on? Why are you two out so… (The realization hits him and a big grin spreads across his face.) Sorry to interrupt. The three of us were just showing up early for whenever you two get out so we could head to the movies… So, am I right that you two are going to the dance together?

Shinji: (He takes hold of Asuka's hand and nods to TOJI.) Yes, we are.

TOJI: Alright! One of my best friends and… Uh… (Turns to the audience.) I had no idea what to call Asuka. At that point we didn't exactly have the best relationship, understandable considering when we first met, I flashed her and that hadn't been too long ago. (A horrified expression forms upon his countenance as he realizes what he just said.) It isn't how it sounds! It was an accident! Shinji and Asuka hadn't seen each other in two years, he and Misato had invited me and Kensuke along to meet her and lets just say there was wind, slapping, a poor decision on my part and more slapping… Kensuke got it all on film… Mostly.

HIKARI: (Walks over to Shinji and Asuka, pulling them both into a hug.) One of your best friends and my best friend! This is so great!

KENSUKE: Alright! Me and Mana, Toji and Hikari, Shinji and Asuka! We'll be like the… (Stumped, he looks to the side for a moment before once more looking at his friends.) We'll be like some fictional group consisting of six people! We'll be like the Sinister Six!

Shinji, Asuka, TOJI and HIKARI: (Deadpan.) No.

KENSUKE: The Secret Six? No, wait, everyone knows who we are.

HIKARI: And it isn't like the dance is a masquerade ball, so that still doesn't work.

Asuka: (Genuinely curious.) H-Have there been any masquerade balls around here?

HIKARI: Not since 1988.

TOJI: Okay, okay, lets get moving! Lets head to the movies! We're going to miss "Evangelism is One". (EXITS.)

KENSUKE: I still think that is a weird name for a kung fu action movie. (EXITS.)

HIKARI: (Under her breath.) We are not seeing that. (EXITS.)

Shinji: (Smiling, he looks at Asuka.) Masquerade balls?

Asuka: (Smiling back, she gives him a shrug.) Think you'd be able to find me, Idiot Shinji?

Shinji: (Laughing.) Asuka, I was always able to find you when we played hide and seek as kids. Do you really think I wouldn't be able to find you just because you are dressed fancily and wearing a mask?

Asuka: Only one way to find out. Next time there is a masquerade ball going on in Tokyo-3…

Shinji: (Smiling as he and Asuka EXIT hand in hand.) Sure. Why not?

END OF PART I ACT II

NOTES

I went through a few different ideas for this one. At one point it was going to involve Conn and the Bridge Bunnies together in the archives, with Conn promising to stop calling Maya "Commander Ikari's bastard" while they searched the archives. He would have just referred to her as "First Lieutenant Ibuki", only for her to tell him to just call her by her given name, something Conn would have found strange. The next idea would have involved Misato, Ritsuko and Kaji searching NERV HQ together to see what they could find. When I finally decided on the scene, the second half would have featured the appearance of Kaworu (based on his more villainous and jerkish portrayals with some Iago and Richard III) thrown in and would not exactly have been light and happy. After the previous scene, I felt that just going light and happy would work better.

The title "Evangelism is One" was gotten from me putting "Neon Genesis Evangelion" through Google Translate. Putting titles through different languages can result in interesting outcomes.
Last edited by Thorion on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:38 pm

I've just skimmed through it rather than giving it a thorough read due to the lack of time - but I must say I'm impressed with what I do see. Carry on, good sir!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:51 pm

Before we start, I'd like to thank UrsusArctos for their comment. It is very much appreciated.

PART I

ACT III

SCENE I

(The classroom. Various students take their places at their seats. Shinji and Asuka are chatting, TOJI and KENSUKE play rock-paper-scissors with TOJI repeatedly losing by always choosing rock, Rei is staring out the window from her seat while TAKETOKI is glaring at Shinji and Asuka from his own seat. HIKARI stands at the forefront, looking at the audience.)

HIKARI: The next day was off to a great start. Shinji and Asuka were discussing various things, like the movie we saw yesterday. Toji and Kensuke were… (She turns around to look at TOJI and KENSUKE.)

TOJI: (Chooses paper.) Yes! (KENSUKE choose scissors.) No! God da—

HIKARI: (Addressing the audience.) Uh, doing that. Rei was staring out the window as usual and Taketoki was… (She briefly looks over at TAKETOKI before looking at the audience again.) Making me regret ever asking Asuka to go on a date with him. (The OLD TEACHER ENTERS.)

OLD TEACHER: To your seats, everyone! (Everyone goes to their seats and the OLD TEACHER nods at HIKARI.)

HIKARI: Rise! (Everyone rises.) Bow! (Everyone bows.) Be seated! (Everyone sits down.)

OLD TEACHER: We have a new student joining our class today. Come in, Nagisa.

(ENTER KAWORU. When he enters, Rei is the first to react, her eyes widening as they meet with his for one brief moment, then becoming suspicious. Shinji views the newcomer with a combination of attraction and unease, Asuka is immediately suspicious and others are unsure what to make of their new classmate.)

KAWORU: I'm Kaworu Nagisa. Nice to meet you.

TOJI: (Swallowing nervously.) N-Nice to meet you.

OLD TEACHER: Nagisa, take your seat. Please sit next to Ikari.

(KAWORU goes to the empty seat next to Shinji, eyeing him for a moment before finally sitting down as the OLD TEACHER begins his rambling.)

KAWORU: So, you are Shinji Ikari. At last, we meet.

Shinji: Y-You have heard of me?

KAWORU: You could say that I might have been born so I could meet you… And the other Children. I know about you, your cute "second cousin" Rei Ayanami, your lifelong friend Asuka Langley Soryu and your other best friend Toji Suzuhara.

Asuka: (In disbelief.) What? Him? He is the Fourth Child? Are you kidding me?

(HIKARI turns to look over at TOJI, a worried expression upon her countenance. TOJI himself can only close his eyes and bow his head.)

Shinji: How do you know this?

KAWORU: (Smiling.) You don't think the Fifth Child wouldn't know anything about his fellow Eva pilots, do you?

(Immediately the other Children stare at KAWORU, completely gobsmacked, Rei included.)

TOJI: (To the audience.) I hadn't even told Shinji, Asuka or Rei that I was the Fourth Child yet. When I got the news that I would be piloting an Eva I was scared. I'd seen what Shinji went through before Asuka arrived in Tokyo-3 and I didn't want anything to do with it, but with my sister having been injured during Shinji's first battle with an Angel… It had to be done, I didn't like it but it had to be done. I had to be the Fourth Child, I had to pilot Unit 03. I tried to act like I wasn't scared, just act like how I usually was, but the fact was I was terrified deep down… I never expected that… that vampire-looking bastard to be the one to tell everyone or that he would be the Fifth Child.

Asuka: Y-You're the Fifth Child? (KAWORU locks eyes with Asuka and a look of fright appears upon the girl's face, as if she had met the gaze of Medusa herself.)

KAWORU: Yes, Asuka, I am. What's the matter? Afraid you and Unit 02 will be replaced by me and Unit 04?

Asuka: (Fiercely.) Never!

Shinji: No one could ever replace Asuka and Unit 02.

KAWORU: (He stares at both Shinji and Asuka, studying both of them before focusing solely on the former.) Yes, and perhaps the one who might be replaced will be you and Unit 01, Shinji.

HIKARI: (To the audience.) After that no one spoke for the rest of the class. I sent Asuka a message asking if she was alright, but I got no answer back.

TOJI: (To the audience.) I sent one to Shinji too and I also got no reply… At least, not the kind I was expecting. Instead of an answer as to if he was okay or not, I just got the question "Why didn't you tell me you had been chosen as the Fourth Child", or something along those lines… It's been so long… I didn't know what to tell him except: "I was going to." Then I got this message from Rei: "Do not trust Kaworu." (Shinji, Asuka and TOJI all turn their heads in Rei's direction. TOJI then looks at the audience once more.) Sure, he seems kind of creepy and vampirish, but I didn't think any reason to not trust one of the other pilots. What was my response? One word: "What?"

Shinji: (Typing on his laptop.) Why?

Asuka: (Typing on her laptop.) What are you talking about, Wondergirl?

TOJI: (To the audience.) No one got an answer. Next thing I knew, I got a message from Kensuke, saying: "There is something not right about the new guy." I replied with a quote from Conn when he was helping us with our history assignments: (Deadpan.) "You are a master of stating the obvious." Anyway, class went on.

HIKARI: (To the audience.) And eventually it ended and everyone went on to their next classes except for three individuals. (Everyone exits except for Rei, KAWORU and TAKETOKI, the last on his way out when the second approaches him. Rei watches them from the doorway.)

KAWORU: I noticed you had your eyes on Asuka.

TAKETOKI: (Hesitantly.) Y-Yeah, I asked her to the dance, but she seems to only have eyes for that scrawny… (KAWORU raises an eyebrow as if to say "You don't look any more muscular." TAKETOKI sighs.) She only seems to eyes for Ikari.

KAWORU: What if I were to help you two get together?

TAKETOKI: (Smiling.) W-Wow, really? You'd do that for me?

KAWORU: Yes, I would.

TAKETOKI: (Suspicious.) Why?

KAWORU: You have your eyes on Asuka, I have mine on Shinji. You'll get who you want, I'll get who I want. How does that sound?

TAKETOKI: Yeah? Sounds good! I've had eyes on Asuka since the day she arrived here and I have no idea why she'd have eyes on Shinji instead of me.

KAWORU: Maybe pure black hair and brown eyes are not her type. (Aside.) I know they are not mine.

TAKETOKI: And he isn't even that good-looking.

KAWORU: (Aside.) You don't look that different.

TAKETOKI: He isn't even in the basketball club!

KAWORU: (Aside.) If you complain this much, I can see why Asuka has no interest in you.

TAKETOKI: So, if you are going to help set me up with Asuka, does that make us friends?

KAWORU: (Looks over TAKETOKI.) If we must be.

TAKETOKI: Great! I'm Taketoki Ichimonji! (He holds out a hand for KAWORU to shake.)

KAWORU: (Shakes TAKETOKI's hand.) Alright, now get to class. We will discuss this later. (TAKETOKI nods and EXITS. KAWORU then takes notice of Rei.) Rei Ayanami, the First Child. You are the same as I am. How interesting that both of us have ended up in the same form as the Lilim for life on this planet.

Rei: No. We are not the same. You and I may closely resemble each other, but we are not the same and I will not allow anything to happen to Ikari or Unit 02's pilot.

KAWORU: What are you going to do? Turn your Evangelion on mine?

Rei: If I must.

KAWORU: (He eyes her for a moment, looking her over and stroking her chin, intrigued by what he sees before him.) You interest me.

Rei: The feeling is not mutual. (She EXITS.)

KAWORU: (To the audience.) Shinji Ikari or Rei Ayanami… Perhaps I made the wrong choice in targets. This shall prove interesting. (EXITS.)

NOTES

I will admit that I struggled with this scene. There is a lot going on, drawing from "Girlfriend of Steel", the manga and the video game version of "Shinji Ikari Raising Project", with the mention of the basketball club, and no doubt there will be a lot of criticism of this scene, which I will accept.

While my intention is to base Kaworu on his manga portrayal and his more villainous portrayals that can be found in various spin-offs, I did have a bit of Iago in mind. "Othello" is one of my favourite Shakespearean plays and as when I decided on making Kaworu a bit more villainous, I realized my original plan for Taketoki made him redundant. Taketoki would have become the Sixth Child and been perfectly malevolent and when that was thrown out the window, I turned to Shakespeare and thought why not make him something of a Roderigo? This by extension makes Asuka a Desdemona and Shinji an Othello, though not entirely the same.

When it came to designing Taketoki, I didn't really have anything in mind. Then I remembered the 1946 film adaptation of "Beauty and the Beast", which I saw at the Toronto Film Festival, where the Beast and Belle's suitor Avenant were both played by Jean Marais. Thus, did Taketoki's appearance actually into fruition. It is not exactly the same, as they are not meant to be perfectly identical, but he still doesn't look that different from Shinji, even having the hair and eye colour of Shinji's manga portrayal.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Two in the same day? My mind works weird. To my thinking it isn't the next day until the sun rises and since the previous scene went up a bit past midnight, to me it was still the 18th. I'd been working on that for, I don't know, five days, I just wanted to finish it and get it up. Anyway, here is the next scene.

PART I

ACT III

SCENE II

(The school roof. Shinji, TOJI and KENSUKE all sit together, quietly. Shinji is staring at TOJI patiently while KENSUKE is hunched over, twiddling his thumbs and staring at the rooftop. TOJI stares out into space, at the audience. He opens his mouth, only to close it again and looking Shinji in the eye. Patiently, Shinji looks at his friend, waiting for him to speak.)

TOJI: (Sighing.) I-I'm scared.

KENSUKE: Why? If I was chosen to be an Eva pilot I'd feel like the luckiest guy in the world!

TOJI: (Turning to look at KENSUKE.) How? You've seen what Shinji goes through same as me. If it wasn't for promise of my sister Sakura getting better treatment, I wouldn't have accepted. What if lose a limb or worse? If I die, who is going to look after my sister? My dad is busy, my grandpa is busy, neither have the time for her, she is basically going to be alone.

KENSUKE: None of the Children have died yet, Toji!

TOJI: Yeah, yet! If Shinji dies, Misato basically loses a little brother, Ayanami loses a cousin and for all Asuka knows she loses the love of her life! If Asuka dies—

Shinji: (Quietly.) I lose the love of mine.

TOJI: The only one who doesn't lose anything is Nagisa. We don't know anything about this guy. For all we know he really is a vampire. (Resting his elbows on his knees, TOJI holds his face in his hands and stares out once more at the audience.) I'm just really worried, not just about my sister. If I die, she won't be the only affected.

KENSUKE: Your dad and your grandpa?

TOJI: (Closes his eyes and shakes his head.)

Shinji: Hikari?

TOJI: (Opens his eyes.) Yeah… Sometimes I think about the future, think about becoming a doctor and I know that sounds weird with me being head of the basketball club, but I can't really see me becoming an athlete. I also think about getting married, coming home to a wife and kids.

Shinji: When you picture your wife… Is she Hikari?

TOJI: (Smiling.) Yeah… Yeah, she is.

KENSUKE: You are scared about losing everything that could be. (TOJI nods.) I never really thought about that.

(A moment of silence falls over the roof.)

Shinji: What are you going to say to Hikari?

TOJI: I don't know.

KENSUKE: So… Guess you won't have time to be the head of the basketball club anymore… So, who are you going to choose to replace you? Not Taketoki!

TOJI: (Looking at KENSUKE.) Hell, no! My last act as head of that club's gonna be to kick him out!

Shinji: I'm glad.

KENSUKE: (Nods in agreement.) I guess I'd have to step down as head of the AV club then if I were to be chosen… Mana would have to step down as head of the music club if she were chosen also.

TOJI: I'd actually like to talk about you and Mana going to the dance together, Kensuke.

KENSUKE: What? Why?

TOJI: You know her and Musashi are pretty on-again off-again. How do you know they aren't going to get back together before the dance?

KENSUKE: They aren't, Toji! They are actually over this time! She's moved on! She is over him!

TOJI: Did she tell you that or is that what you're telling yourself? (KENSUKE looks away, not able to answer his friend.) Kensuke, you and Shinji are like my brothers and I don't want to see either of you get hurt and I'm afraid that is what might happen. You don't know if Mana and Musashi actually are over, you just hope they are.

KENSUKE: I know and hope is all I've got right now. I've asked Mayumi and she's going with Keita, Natsuko and Nene are going with each other, there is just no one else to go with!

Shinji: Have you tried asking Rei? (TOJI stares at the audience and mouths "Kensuke and Rei?" in confusion.)

KENSUKE: I did, but she just stared at me like I had multiple heads. There is no one else.

TOJI: (Looking at KENSUKE.) No one else? Last I checked there is more girls at this school than just them! What if you meet someone at the dance? You don't need to be going with someone in order for them to be special, you might meet someone special there.

KENSUKE: What if Mana already is that special person? Shinji and Asuka found each other a decade ago, you and Hikari may not have known each other as long, but you've still found each other. You know how old my grandpa was when he met my grandma? Sixty! I'd actually like to meet my someone special while I am still young!

TOJI: (Nodding.) Yeah, okay. I understand that. Just remember, I'm worried about you.

KENSUKE: I know and I'm worried about you too. You be careful when you're piloting your Eva. You are the best friend a guy could ask for, Toji.

TOJI: So are you, Kensuke. You and Shinji.

Shinji: You really think of us like brothers, Toji?

TOJI: Sure do, Shinji, and remember I've got your back when we're piloting together. (EXEUNT.)

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:40 pm

PART I

ACT III

SCENE III

(A different part of the school. Asuka and HIKARI sit together on a bench.)

HIKARI: With how much closer Toji and I have gotten I thought he would have told me about him being chosen to be an Eva pilot.

Asuka: Hikari, that stooge… I mean, Toji… You know his sister in the hospital and I wouldn't be surprised if he is scared. Almost all of us get scared from time to time. Me, Shinji… I doubt Miss Perfect has ever been scared a day in her life.

HIKARI: I understand… Still wish he would have told me though… So, how have you been sleeping recently?

Asuka: (Surprised.) What? W-What are you implying? Me and Shinji didn't get up to anything last—

HIKARI: No! Asuka, a few days ago you mentioned having the nightmare again… When you saw your mother.

Asuka: I… Its… I don't know.

HIKARI: Did you tell, Shinji?

Asuka: (Nods.) Yeah, I did. Ever since I first met Shinji ten years ago, I wonder what life would have been like if that had never happened… We both probably would have been komplettes durcheinander without each other. We both understand what it means to have lost our mothers and been abandoned by our fathers and he has nightmares too…

HIKARI: You never told me that before. What does he remember?

Asuka: Less than I do… Maybe it is better that way… His nightmares always involve a giant shadow enveloping a woman he can only see from the back. I wish I was that lucky. Mine are always so vivid, seeing both my mother and that damn doll hanging from the ceiling…

HIKARI: What did he say when you told him?

Asuka: At first nothing… The same as always. He stared at me with the same worried expression he always has in his eyes when I tell him… It is the same with me when he tells me that he's had his nightmares again. After that we sat down and talked about it like we always do. I'm glad that hasn't changed.

HIKARI: How long has it been like this? Did you tell him what had happened when you and him first met?

Asuka: (Shakes her head.) No… We didn't talk about what had happened until we were ten, maybe eleven. When he asked what had happened to my mom, I just told him she had died… It was easier than to say that she had… (She closes her eyes for a moment before opening them again.) Shinji was pretty understanding.

(ENTER Shinji, TOJI and KENSUKE.)

Shinji: Yeah, I was. It can be difficult for kids to say how their parents died. Sometimes you just have to wait for when they are ready to. (He smiles at Asuka and she smiles back at him while TOJI steps forward to speak with HIKARI, who stands and approaches him.)

TOJI: (Rubbing his neck nervously.) Uh… L-Look, H-H-Hikari, about me not telling—

HIKARI: (Places a finger on TOJI's lips and gives him an understanding smile.) It is alright, Toji. I understand… I just wish I hadn't heard about if from that vampire.

KENSUKE: (To Shinji.) Both referring to the new guy as a vampire? Oh, yeah, they are definitely made for each other.

Shinji: What would you call him then?

KENSUKE: I don't know… A demon?

Asuka: Just curious, but did anyone else get a message from Wondergirl to not trust that guy?

Shinji: I did!

TOJI: Yeah, what was up with that? Since when does she send messages during… (Realization sets in.) Oh, God!

KENSUKE: There really has to be something off about him if Rei Ayanami is warning people!

TOJI: Oh, my god! He really must be a vampire!

Asuka: Will you stop, Suzuhara! There are no vampires!

TOJI: You don't know that! We fight against alien monsters called Angels! How long until the Vampires appear? (A look of horror appears on Shinji'S countenance. He really does not want to spend his entire life fighting abominations from space.)

KENSUKE: Or the Demons!

HIKARI: That just sounds like a gang of delinquents.

Asuka: (Changing the subject.) Uh, so, Aida, I hear you and Mana are going to the dance together. Good for you!

HIKARI: (Shocked.) You and Mana? Are you crazy? Kensuke, her and Musashi are probably going to get back together before the dance? What are you thinking?

TOJI: Hikari, we've talked about it already. Lets just leave it alone for now.

HIKARI: A-Alright, but I might know some girls that might be better for him.

Asuka: (Walks over to Shinji, still thinking about the possibility of spending his entire a life as an Eva pilot.) Hey… Are you okay?

Shinji: N-Not really. (Exeunt.)

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:14 pm

PART I

ACT III

SCENE IV

(Misato's apartment. ENTER Shinji and Asuka, the former with a far-off look in his eye.)

Asuka: Shinji, you've been pretty quiet all day. You want to tell me what's wrong? (Shinji looks at her for a brief moment before taking a seat at the table, his eyes focused on the table itself.) Fine, we'll talk when you are ready. (Asuka EXITS, going into her room to change out of her uniform. She then emerges in a different set of clothes with a mirror in one hand and some lipstick in the other. Sitting down at the table, Asuka sets up the mirror, then selects a lipstick and applies it. Pleased with how she looks, Asuka smiles at her reflection before looking over at Shinji. Seeing that same far-off look in his eye, a concerned expression forms upon her countenance.) Shinji?

Shinji: (Looks Asuka in the eye.) When is this going to end?

Asuka: (Half-confused.) W-What?

Shinji: This war with the Angels. Are they just going to keep coming? If they finally stop, are they just going to be replaced by something else? Vampires! Demons! Are we ever going to get to have normal lives? Toji told me he sometimes thinks about the future, like having a normal job, having a wife and kids and with him and Kensuke asking how long until the Vampires or the Demons show up, I'm worried that none of us will ever get the chance to have any of that. I'm worried that all we'll only ever be…

Asuka: Evangelion pilots? (Shinji nods.) I never thought about that, never thought about if I want to be an Eva pilot for the rest of my life… When I was told I was going to be one, I was so ecstatic, but now that I actually am one… I'm not really sure I want to be one for the rest of my life, I'm not even sure what I'd be if the day comes that we aren't needed anymore.

Shinji: With your college education, you could probably become anything.

Asuka: What was Toji thinking of becoming?

Shinji: A doctor.

Asuka: What about you?

Shinji: I'm sorry, but I've never really given much thought about it until Toji said he had thought of becoming a doctor.

Asuka: (Giving Shinji a warm smile.) I think you'd make an excellent professional cellist.

Shinji: I'm not that good.

Asuka: That's not how it sounds to me.

Shinji: (He stares into her eyes, feeling rather touched.) Do you really mean that?

Asuka: What are you, stupid? I wouldn't have said it if I didn't… You know we never did end up having our kiss?

Shinji: Huh?

Asuka: You know… That time during the black-out, we were about to kiss when the elevator suddenly opened with Mr. Kaji and Misato inside.

Shinji: O-Oh! (A nervous smile spreads across his face.)

Asuka: Would you like to give it another try?

Shinji: You sure you wouldn't like to wait for the dance to do something like that, Asuka?

Asuka: I'm ready for a kiss now, Shinji. Aren't you?

(Shinji nods. Both and Asuka close their eyes and are about to kiss when Misato and Kaji enter.)

Kaji: I'm just saying, with Conn's knowledge of the Carolingians being mostly limited to Charlemagne and a few battles and sieges from the Viking Age, maybe we should consider hitting the history books. (He and Misato both notice Shinji and Asuka, both slumping at their kiss having being interrupted. Asuka then raises her head and looks at the two adults, Kaji smiling with his arms crossed while Misato looks amused.)

Asuka: Why are two talking about the Carolingians?

Misato: (Nervously.) Oh, uh, you know, NERV's yearly trivia match… game… thing… is coming up and one of the topics being covered is the Carolingian dynasty.

Kaji: (Calmly.) Yeah, and Misato and I are competing. (Shinji and Asuka both stare, neither buying what they've been told.) So, what are you two doing?

Shinji: Asuka and I are going to the school dance together, Mr. Kaji.

Kaji: (With a big smile on his face.) Congratulations! I was hoping you two would get together!

Misato: With how busy I've been with work I've been meaning to ask about that! That's wonderful! I'll be sure to chaperone, of course! Don't want you kids getting up to anything that you shouldn't.

Kaji: So, how was school today?

Asuka: It was alright. We met the Fifth Child today.

Misato: (Surprised.) Kaworu Nagisa?

Shinji: Yeah, but why do you sound so surprised?

Asuka: Is he here ahead of schedule or something?

Kaji: (Concerned.) Sounds like he is.

Misato: So, how about ordering in for dinner this time? I thought we'd try this new pizza place that tries all sorts of interesting toppings like octopus, artichoke and corn. (Realizes what the last one was.) Okay, maybe a bit too interesting.

Shinji: (Baffled.) Who puts corn on pizza?

END OF PART I ACT III

NOTES

With this scene, I considered having it happen with Shinji, Asuka and Rei all on their way home for school. I had difficulty thinking of what to happen, so I just decided on having it be at Misato's apartment. Prior to that, the idea was for the scene to involve Kaworu and Taketoki instead, but for some reason I wasn't feeling up to that either.

The bit with Asuka trying on lipstick is derived from the PS2 version of "Girlfriend of Steel". Likewise, the mention of Shinji and Asuka having had an "almost kiss" comes from the manga adaptation.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:24 pm

PART I

ACT IV

SCENE I

(NERV's archives. CONN sits at a desk reading an advertisement he had gotten in the mail. His walking stick rests against the desk with his fedora resting on top of it while his blazer is on the back of his chair.)

CONN: Finally! A pizza place that includes corn as a topping! (He puts the advertisement down on the desk before him and then picks up the folder containing the Project Germanicus file. He opens it and stares long and hard at the text.) Now what manner of text is this? Could it be something modern? It certainly isn't Ancient Egyptian… If only it were, then I could translate it using one of the books I've got at home… (Sighing.) Maybe Commander Ikari really has translated Linear A. If so, I must tip my hat to him. (He puts the folder down and begins to tap a finger on the side of his face.) No Project Britannicus, but there is a Project Germanicus. Maybe the Commander doesn't have anything planned for Asuka Langley Soryu and this Mari Makinami Illustrious, maybe Project Germanicus is a plan to wipe Germany off the map! (Confused.) But what would that accomplish? Suppose Commander Ikari has successfully managed to decipher Linear A, what does that mean? That he has an interest in archaeology just as I do? Well, if that is the case wherefore would he want to wipe Germany off the map? Because a Heinrich Schliemann, a German, discovered the fabled city of Troy? That is nothing short of disproportionate… Perhaps there is a Project Britannicus, but it is simply elsewhere, somewhere other than here in the archives… I don't know, if there is a Project Britannicus, maybe it doesn't have to do with this Mari Makinami Illustrious. I still think Commander Ikari doesn't look entirely Japanese, Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki doesn't look entirely Japanese either, they both look somewhat British to me. If Commander Ikari does have British ancestry, then so too does his scion Shinji Ikari and so, if there is a Project Britannicus, then it might concern him rather than Mari Makinami Illustrious… But wherefore? Would Commander Ikari seriously consider killing his own son?... Wherefore do I keep referring to them by their full appellations? Only once have I just referred to Shinji Ikari by his given appellation. Wherefore can't I just do that with everyone who isn't family? If it isn't me referring to them by their full appellation, then I am referring to them by their rank and surname, even off duty. (He runs a hand through his hair then picks up some letters.) "Dear, Mr. O'Sullivan, we are sorry but your article 'On the Subject of the Supernatural' has been rejected." Doesn't even say why. (Looks at the next one.) "Dear, Mr. O'Sullivan, we are sorry but your article 'On the Subject of Mysterious Monsters' has been rejected due to a surplus of such articles having been received." That's fair. (Looks at the next one as MAYA ENTERS.) "Dear, Mr. O'Sullivan, your article 'On the Subject of Legendary Lands' has been accepted, but will be rewritten by and credited to out star writer Washington Hammurabi Hornswaggle. Sincerely yours, Nurunuru Bakkusutaba." What did I expect from a man whose appellation quite literally means "Slimy Backstabber"? At least he is upfront about it.

MAYA: I hope that isn't his real name.

CONN: (Putting the letter down.) If it isn't, then it is an incredibly honest alias. Good morning, First Lieutenant—

MAYA: Conn, please. Just call me Maya.

CONN: (Nodding.) Good morning, First Lieutenant Maya.

MAYA: (Sighing.) It's a start. (She walks over to the desk and picks up the letter that CONN had just put down.)

CONN: Yes, I suppose it is… I would like to apologize for calling you what I did. I had no idea that you hadn't grown up without—

MAYA: Conn, you've done nothing but apologize since I told you. Its alright. Now you know.

CONN: And I suppose the thought of being Commander Ikari's daughter is one you'd rather not think about.

MAYA: He isn't the one I'd want, but if he is then that means Shinji is my brother… I guess I can live with it. (Gesturing at the letter she is holding.) You should probably see a lawyer about this.

CONN: A lawyer can wait. I think this Project Germanicus is more important.

MAYA: Too bad we couldn't find a Project Britannicus to go with it.

CONN: (Rubbing his chin.) Perhaps Project Germanicus and Project Britannicus are one and the same.

MAYA: What do you mean?

CONN: Well, Germanicus' nephew Britannicus had not always been named that. He had been born Tiberius Claudius Germanicus. The name "Britannicus" had been given to his father Claudius following his role in the conquest of Britain, but he never used it and instead gave it to his son, who became Tiberius Claudius Caesar Britannicus.

MAYA: Good theory, but we have to figure out what this… (She picks up the file for Project Germanicus and stares at it.) What do you even call this?

CONN: Major Katsuragi called it chicken scratch, so I guess that is as good a name as any. I told her, if I didn't know better, I'd say it was Linear A, which the Minoans of Crete used, but unfortunately that writing system is undeciphered.

MAYA: (Smiling at CONN.) You really like history, don't you?

CONN: (Giving a small chuckle.) Yeah, well… My paterfamilias was a professor of history. Never thought such an interest would ever prove useful and to an extent, I guess you could say it still doesn't. I know what "Germanicus" means, but knowing what it means is useless when it comes to telling us what the project is about. What is the project's appellation referencing? The Roman victory title, the general, anyone who held the title?

MAYA: How many individuals are we talking about here?

CONN: That I know of? Well, lets see here… There was Germanicus and his brother Claudius, their paterfamilias Nero Claudius Drusus, Germanicus' son Caligula, Claudius' son Britannicus for a short time, Germanicus' grandson, step-nephew and adoptive nephew and Claudius' great-nephew, stepson, adoptive son and son-in-law Nero, (A look, half-disturbed and half-confused, appears on MAYA's face) then outside of the Julian-Claudian dynasty we have Vitellius, Domitian, Nerva, his adoptive son Trajan, Marcus Aurelius, his son Commodus… And I think that's everyone.

MAYA: C-Can you go back and explain Nero's relationship to Germanicus and Claudius to me? I think I might have misheard.

(CONN opens his mouth to speak when Misato ENTERS.)

Misato: Nice to see the two of you being more civil with each other. Anything to report, because what I have is big: the Fifth Child Kaworu Nagisa is here in Tokyo-3.

MAYA: What?

CONN: Already? Then that must mean Unit…Oh, God! Who has that list of pilots? How far away from that British girl with the pretentious appellation are we? Mari Makinamo Illustrious!

MAYA: Makinami.

CONN: Mari Makinami Illustrious.

Misato: Conn, relax! Lets handle one thing at a time. Now, what have you found?

CONN: Neither me or First Lieutenant Maya have been here long enough. I've mainly been looking at my mail that I brought along with me.

MAYA: He does have a theory that Project Germanicus might also be Project Britannicus though.

Misato: (Perking up with interest.) Wait a minute, did he just call you, First Lieutenant Maya?

CONN: Yes, Major. I did call her that.

MAYA: Conn thinks that due Britannicus having originally been named "Germanicus" after his uncle, the project might reference him as well as anyone who had the victory title.

Misato: That might explain why you weren't able to find a Project Britannicus here in the archives.

CONN: Or it hasn't been sent down yet, there are just too many possibilities. What are we even (Misato's phone begins to ring.)

Misato: (Answering her phone.) Hello?... Ritsuko?... You've found what?... We'll be right there. (She closes her phone and looks at MAYA and CONN.) Guess what has just been found.

CONN: (Shocked.) No!

MAYA: Project Britannicus?

Misato: Project Claudius.

CONN: Well, guess that throws the Carolingians out the window. (He stands up, putting on his blazer.)

MAYA: (In disbelief.) Claudius! Conqueror of Britain!

CONN: (Grabbing his fedora and walking stick.) I had us looking for the wrong relation, what an ass I was! Well, can't say I'm feeling optimistic. If these projects have something to do with Asuka Langley Soryu and Mari Makinami Illustrious it can't be something good. Germanicus was believed to have been poisoned and Claudius probably was! (EXEUNT.)
Last edited by Thorion on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:48 pm

PART I

ACT IV

SCENE II

(Ritsuko's office. RITSUKO and Kaji both stare at the recently printed out file before them.)

RITSUKO: The text is the same strange writing as the other one.

Kaji: And it is dated to three months ago.

RITSUKO: It is well in advance then. Mari isn't even here yet.

Kaji: Neither was Asuka nine months ago. Just what is Commander Ikari planning? (ENTER Misato, MAYA and CONN. Kaji smiles at them.) So, how is your morning going?

Misato: Not too bad. I told Asuka I would take her out shopping for a dress for the dance.

Kaji: Sounds great! I'll take Shinji to get a suit!

MAYA: They are going together! That's so cute!

CONN: (Exasperated.) Good lord…

RITSUKO: You didn't like school dances, Conn?

CONN: When I was that age, I always found them boring. (Sighing, he shakes his head.) So, we've found Project Claudius, have we? Pray tell how it came to be found, Dr. Akagi.

RITSUKO: It took quite a bit of searching, but I ultimately found it amongst files listed under "Authorized Personnel Only."

MAYA: And you are authorized personnel?

RITSUKO: Unfortunately, no, but I got in after several attempts.

Misato: Did you see anything else listed among those files, Ritsuko?

RITSUKO: Nothing as strange as this, Misato. Nothing written in this… chicken scratch!

CONN: So, it was Claudius we should have been looking for, not Britannicus… I'm such an ass! I had us looking for the wrong name!

Kaji: Don't be too hard on yourself. I asked you a question and you answered it. You had no idea we should have been looking for the father instead of the son.

MAYA: Or in this case the brother instead of the nephew.

CONN: (Nods slowly.) I suppose so, Special Inspector Kaji. Has anything relating to nine months ago been found?

RITSUKO: (Shaking her head.) I've not even been able to discover anything on Project Germanicus yet.

Misato: (Sighing.) Great, where do we go from here? (EXEUNT.)

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:27 pm

PART I

ACT IV

SCENE III

(The garden. Misato, Kaji, MAYA and CONN all sit together. CONN is tapping his walking stick against his right foot while he stares at the file for Project Germanicus.)

CONN: I just have no idea. For all we know Commander Ikari is in contact with Martians and this is their writing system… Good lord, what a fascinating idea! Martians! What do you think they'd look like? Like the Martians in the H. G. Wells novel "War of the Worlds" or like the Tharks from the "Barsoom" novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs? Hopefully neither, maybe they'd look like one of the more human-looking Martian races of Barsoom. (Misato, Kaji and MAYA all stare at him.) What? I do a lot of reading. Currently I'm reading "The Moonstone" by Wilkie Collins. Oh, I love books. I ever worked in a bookstore in college, a rare bookstore and saw so many interesting books. A Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh, the complete Middle English dictionary, oh, there was so much to see!

MAYA: Speaking of Latin, since Germanicus and Claudius were Romans, maybe the files are written in Ancient Latin.

CONN: That wouldn't be the case, First Lieutenant Maya. Coming from a country where Latin is the official script, I would be able to recognize it.

Kaji: Just a question here, Conn, but would you happen to know what kind of a name "Langley" is?

CONN: That would be an English surname, Special Inspector. Old English specifically, the language of the Anglo-Saxons… (Realizing.) A cultural group who traced their origins to Germanic settlers in Britain!

Kaji: (Smiling.) There you go! What kind of writing did the Anglo-Saxons use?

CONN: Runes.

Misato: Would you say this looks like the kind that the Anglo-Saxons would have used?

CONN: I suppose so, Major, but I can't be sure and even then, I have nothing to translate them. Would that these were Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, I have a book at home that can translate those.

Misato: Maybe if we find Project King Tut it will prove useful. Just see if you can find something that can help you translate that for now.

CONN: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay. (He ceases tapping his walking stick on his right foot.) Just a question, but what were you all doing the day of the big black out? I was stuck in the archives with Vladimirovich as he told me about people he had killed for the Russian mob.

Kaji: Stuck in an elevator with Katsuragi here…

CONN: I know you the Major threatened me in regards to the last time I saw you two in the elevator, but for my own peace of mind, there weren't files all over the floor was there?

Misato: No, Conn. There wasn't! I really had to go to the washroom though!

Kaji: (Groaning.) Don't remind me. I wasn't happy with the position we were in by the time the power finally came back.

MAYA: I was sitting at my station, waiting for the power to come back on.

CONN: Did any of you know that Vladimirovich is ex-Russian organized crime?

Kaji: Everyone did, he's very open about it, though I can only wonder what NERV Russia was thinking about keeping him around.

CONN: Do the kids know that he's—

Misato: No, they had no contact with the archives' staff until you showed up to collect my paperwork.

CONN: Aren't they lucky not to know him?

Kaji: You don't like him?

CONN: Not particularly, Special Inspector Kaji. In fact, I hate Vladimirovich and I hope that whatever the reason for his illness it turns quite serious, and he dies.

MAYA: (Appalled.) Conn!

CONN: (Defensively.) What? He's like the half-Russian version of my—… I just don't like him.

(MISASTO and Kaji both take note of CONN's reaction as he once again begins tapping his walking stick against his right foot, this time noticeably out of irritation.)

Kaji: Conn, I was wondering… Why the walking stick? You aren't that old, and your leg is fine, so why need it?

CONN: All part of the look… Major…

Misato: Yes, Conn?

CONN: I'm… scared.

Misato: We all are.

Kaji: Conn, how did Claudius die?

MAYA: He was probably poisoned.

Kaji: (Sighing.) Great. Commander Ikari sure did choose a great couple of names, didn't he?

CONN: (Smiling.) Yeah, he kind of did. They are both fascinating individuals Germanicus and Claudius, two important members of the Roman Empire's founding dynasty the Julio-Claudians. I hate to admit it, but the Commander really did choose a good pair of names for these mystery projects. (Everyone stares at him in exasperation. CONN sighs.) I hate rhetorical questions.

Kaji: (Standing up.) Come on, Conn. How about the two of us chat one on one?

CONN: I don't see any reason for us to chat, Special Inspector Kaji.

Kaji: I can think of a few. (EXEUNT.)
Last edited by Thorion on Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:33 am

PART I

ACT IV

SCENE IV

(Kaji and CONN sit together, the former having a cup of tea in his hand while the latter just stares out at the audience.)

CONN: I am of the opinion we all must rise above the tragedies of our youth, but I am afraid to say, Special Inspector Kaji, I ran from mine as soon as I was old enough.

Kaji: From what you tell me, running is the only thing you could have done, Conn. Even a wild animal knows when to retreat.

CONN: You've heard the tragedy of my youth, Special Inspector Kaji. What about yours?

Kaji: I'm seven years older than you, Conn. My tragedy didn't happen at so young an age as yours did.

CONN: My tragedy lasted from the time I was six to the time I was nearly nineteen. Maybe you want to rephrase that.

Kaji: Alright, mine began when I was fifteen.

CONN: Second Impact…

Kaji: (He nods.) Yes… I was left orphaned because of it… We both were… My little brother and me… Do you have a little brother, Conn?

CONN: I am the little brother. I have an older half-brother.

Kaji: Well, us and four other kids escaped from an orphanage. In hindsight maybe we shouldn't have. We went around stealing things to we could survive… One day we found an army base and began to steal its food until one day I was caught… The soldier beat me, questioned me and when I said nothing, he threatened my life… I-I was terrified, so terrified that I told him where my brother and our friends were. The soldiers went to find them, leaving me alone with one other who I knocked out… And when I returned… The soldiers were leaving our hideout… Once they had left, I peered inside and saw everyone… (He closes his eyes for a moment before opening them and looking at CONN.) You believe we must all rise above the tragedies of our youth, but how can I, how can anyone rise above that?

CONN: I don't know, Special Inspector.

Kaji: What do you even call what I've done? You've called what you've done running away from the tragedy of your youth. What do I call what I've done?

CONN: I can't say I am certain, Special Inspector. Can either of us say we know anyone who has risen above the tragedies of their youth?

Kaji: (He takes a sip of his tea for a moment, while staring out at the audience. Finally, he smiles.) I can name two people who are doing a good job and they aren't doing it alone.

CONN: Oh, who? (EXEUNT.)

NOTES

Originally Conn's backstory was going to be told in this scene. Ultimately, I felt the question of "Have either of us risen above the tragedy of our youth?" made for a better subject as Kaji tells of his backstory from the manga.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:21 pm

PART I

ACT IV

SCENE V

(The Geo-Front Gates. CONN stands nearby tapping his walking stick against his foot, his expression half-angry and half-sorry.)

CONN: (To the audience.) Those poor kids. You know, it is a miracle that everything worked out the way it did. Had I read this in a book or seen it performed on some stage, I would find it somewhat contrived. Shinji Ikari is left at his maternal aunt and uncle's house and Asuka Langley Soryu turns out to be his neighbour? I would have had difficulty believing it and yet is life not just like that? Things we would dismiss as only happening in fiction happen everyday… Who would have ever thought we'd have giant monsters and robots though? (He shakes his head.) Life is strange… It can be cruel too. Shinji probably would have thought his aunt and uncle would have been good people but as we know what is and what should be, are as different as a kind word is from the lash of a whip… And yet, I suppose the cruelty is equaled by kindness. Shinji found Asuka, Asuka found Shinji… (He smiles as he realized what he had been saying.) Shinji! Asuka! I've been saying only their given appellations! That is an improvement. Yes, it is well those two had met at so young an age. If they hadn't who knows how messed up that they would have been? You know, I envy them in a way. Together they have risen above the tragedies of their youth while most other people I know are doing it by themselves and in some ways, not exactly succeeding. Maybe that is the answer, not by yourself but with one who has experienced what you have… I don't know. I don't pretend to have all the answers, but somehow these two have found such an answer for when it comes to rising above the tragedies of their youth… They both lost their matriarchs, their patriarchs abandoned them… Yes, it truly is a miracle they found one another. (He coughs for a moment before continuing.) And now there is this Project Germanicus and Project Claudius business… Anglo-Saxon runes? I don't know. For all I know it is written in Elvish, Klingon or some made up language like that! (He furrows his brow.) Elvish or Klingon? Commander Gendo Ikari a fan of either the works of Tolkien or "Star Trek"? Now that is getting too weird! But still… If Project Germanicus truly concerns Asuka then does Project Claudius concern this Mari Makinami Illustrious or does it concern Shinji? Commander Ikari looks somewhat British to me, so if one of his parents were British that would make Shinji… Damn it! Math was never my strong suit. If Commander Ikari is half-British, then that makes Shinji… A quarter British? Yes, I do think that be it. But what is being planned here? Germanicus' death was attributed to poisoning, Claudius was probably poisoned… What if both concern Asuka? After all, Claudius too had the victory title of "Germanicus". Germanicus was intended to become Rome's emperor, but he predeceased his adoptive father and paternal uncle Tiberius as well as his intended co-ruler, his adoptive brother and paternal cousin Drusus Julius Caesar. Claudius, on the other hand, was never intended to ascend to the throne, but with the assassination of his nephew Caligula and his family, he was the only one left. Could Project Germanicus be intended to succeed, but likely fail and Project Claudius something that is not likely to succeed, but very well could? I don't know. Here I am conjecturing rather than translating! I need to get a book on Anglo-Saxon runes! I've got to! I've got to! I've got to! (ENTER FUYUTSUKI.)

FUYUTSUKI: Ah, there you are, Mr. O'Sullivan. I was wondering where you were. It is unlike you to be out here. Is everything alright?

CONN: Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki, what is your ancestry?

FUYUTSUKI: (Confused.) What?

CONN: What is your ancestry?

FUYUTSUKI: What prompted this question?

CONN: Just curiosity.

FUYUTSUKI: My father was Japanese, and my mother was a British woman who came to live here following World War II.

CONN: And what do you know about Commander Ikari's ancestry?

FUYUTSUKI: What concern is that of yours?

CONN: Both of you look rather British, Japanese appellations aside.

FUYUTSUKI: And because of that you see fit to pry into our backgrounds?

CONN: Forgive me, Deputy Commander.

FUYUTSUKI: What is your ethnic background, Mr. O'Sullivan?

CONN: Irish on my father's, Mongolian on my mother's, Deputy Commander.

FUYUTSUKI: Growing up did you know many biracial people of Western European and East Asian descent?

CONN: I did not, sir.

FUYUTSUKI: (He gives an understanding nod.) You should have started there then. Now, I went down to the archives for the budget from two months ago? Could you bring that to my office when you have the time?

CONN: Yes, sir. I'll go and grab that right now. (He begins to make his way through the gates.)

FUYUTSUKI: (Not even turning to look at CONN.) Mr. O'Sullivan?

CONN: (He stops and turns to look at his superior.) Sir?

FUYUTSUKI: I would advise you to not keep the files for Project Germanicus and Project Claudius on the front desk in the archives. If Ikari had seen them things might have ended poorly.

CONN: S-Sir, what are they?

FUYUTSUKI: I cannot say I am certain, and I was not even aware of the existence of Project Claudius until today. Project Germanicus had been written in Kanji last time and had been for an upgrade for Unit-02. I cannot see any reason for Ikari to have changed the text to—

CONN: Chicken scratch, sir?

FUYUTSUKI: (He gives a small smile.) Yes, indeed. (EXEUNT.)

Return to “Fanfiction”