Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:12 am

Scotland Loves Anime will be revealing their programme soon, if Mexico are screening it by September then hopefully that means they secured it for October!

But man this is a slow Blu-Ray release. 17 and coming on 18 months since the initial theatrical run and it's not even been announced.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:46 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:But man this is a slow Blu-Ray release. 17 and coming on 18 months since the initial theatrical run and it's not even been announced.

I'm hoping an announcement is soonish. Now that Amazon Prime's exclusivity on the film is over Khara should be free to release it whenever they want. Maybe they're giving that Japanese streaming service, U-NEXT, a few weeks to be the only place outside Amazon Prime to get the movie from.

I would have to imagine Khara has some physical disc release plan ready to go. Presumably none of the international distributors can even hypothetically plan a disc release in their countries until after Khara has released the film on disc in Japan.

It's funny. Eva really has taught me nerd patience.

I see all these other fanbases online get all angry and pissy over having to wait for things - "The new Marvel movie comes out in three months and still no trailer! What am I supposed to do? Just watch the new show that is airing right now and nothing else?!" or "It's been six months since The Batman came out and still no release date for The Batman 2!" - and I'm just over here a diehard fan of Evangelion having jumped on the Rebuild train in 2006 shaking my head at the lack of patience.

Shrug.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:56 am

It's true, when seeing how long you have to wait for things to come out I always think, "Well, it's not 9 years so it's not that bad."

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:04 pm

I have to wonder if there's going to be a sort of 3.0+1.11 release now, since the theatrical re-release was called only 3.0+1.01. As you know, the home release for the previous NTE films was re-titled 3.33, 2.22 etc, so I can imagine they're going to follow this pattern. Some people have speculated at entirely new scenes but I guess we'll get mostly touched up animation and CGI again.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:50 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I have to wonder if there's going to be a sort of 3.0+1.11 release now, since the theatrical re-release was called only 3.0+1.01. As you know, the home release for the previous NTE films was re-titled 3.33, 2.22 etc, so I can imagine they're going to follow this pattern. Some people have speculated at entirely new scenes but I guess we'll mostly touched up animation and CGI again.

IIRC the Blu-Ray versions of the first two movies (1.11 and 2.22) added a few scenes, that might be from where the speculation come from, especially with the recent lantern festival teasing an Unit 02 from just after 2.0, although from what little I recall the new scenes added in the BR were very short, so I don't think that they'll be able to dump a full flashback of the period between N3I and A3I. (unless Anno goes the Lord of the Ring route and make his BR edition five hours long! :D )
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:23 pm

Yeah I can see a couple more seconds, maybe a minute or two of additional runtime but nothing that actually changes the plot.

Of course, there is precedent for this with the Director's Cuts for NGE. Then again, Anno himself is of course busy with the Shin movies right now, unless he has decided to hand these to someone else, like Tsurumaki or Maeda.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:22 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Yeah I can see a couple more seconds, maybe a minute or two of additional runtime but nothing that actually changes the plot.

Of course, there is precedent for this with the Director's Cuts for NGE. Then again, Anno himself is of course busy with the Shin movies right now, unless he has decided to hand these to someone else, like Tsurumaki or Maeda.

I think recalling that in 2.0 the short scene of the sync test with Misato lazily spinning in her chair was an addition from the Blu-Ray version, so if we follow the pattern, that's probably the kind of things we'll see in hypothetical extra-scenes in the Thrice BR, so maybe a couple of extra scenes of everyday life in the Village, or among the Wunder crew.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:57 pm

It's worth remembering that Shin was originally stated in 2019 for a July 2020 release which got delayed due to Covid, so they got 7 months of extra production time, then another two for the second delay to March 2021. Lots of staff members mentioned how this made production super messy but they also took the time to add in some extra details. This could indicate there's not much left to add, but even so, 3.0+1.01 was made another 3 months later alongside the prequel manga which does change the story. It wouldn't be the first time Anno changed his mind about something, though he did say...

Q: Was there any change of contents when the movie release was postponed?

A: Due to the COVID crisis the efficiency of production dropped significantly. We couldn’t afford to make changes.

So I guess it's really up in the air how much the movie might be changed.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:This could indicate there's not much left to add, but even so, 3.0+1.01 was made another 3 months later alongside the prequel manga which does change the story.

How does the prequel manga changes the story? The only additional information it gives are:
  • explaining why Asuka was wearing a tapped up plugsuit in 3.0 (for purely sentimental reasons at Mari's insistence)
  • showing that Asuka was still pinning for Shinji even 14 years later (already shown by Mari's teasing in 3.0 and Thrice)
  • implicating that Mari knew that Shinji could get out of EVA-01 and orchestrated the events of Operation US so it would happen (by convincing Asuka to change to the B plan where she directly takes the Tesseract instead of Mari), which is actually the biggest revelation of this manga, but Thrice's implication that she was in cahoots with Fuyutsuki behind everyone's back already made us look like at her previous scenes in 3.0 under a new light, as you realize that most of the time when she's exclaiming or thinking about what's happening, she's actually talking to herself about things that the rest of WILLE doesn't know about.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:59 pm

I see where you're coming from, but while it at the very least confirms things for 3.0 that were up in the air (I was only really thinking of 3.0 when I wrote that, for that matter). I guess it's debatable if they're retcons or not anymore than the Director's Cuts for NGE were - they didn't contradict anything already present in the OA versions, but they did bring a lot of new context that changed interpretations. Before the manga a lot of interpretations had weaker ground to stand on but afterwards became more solid, much like with the DCs.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:44 am

^
Oh, if you mean that the manga confirmed and gave extra-context on some points of the last two movies, then I agree with you.
I don't know if the events of this manga were already in Anno and Co's mind when they made 3.0, or even if it's something that Anno and Co intended with the manga, but I thought that the explanation of Asuka wearing her old tapered plugsuit at Mari's insistence so Shinji would recognize her for sure (even if it's a little incongruous, since it's not like Shinji knew a lot of redheads, and Asuka didn't physically aged a bit) even though Asuka was sure that he was gone for good (but her ultimately wearing it showing that deep down she hoped to be wrong), and her still wearing it to go see Shinji but hiding most of it behind a track jacket and cap was a great metaphorical illustration of her conflicting emotions toward him: on one hand she wants him to recognize her and that old plugsuit can also represent her longing for him and the times of genuine happiness she lived 14 years ago, but on the other she wears an emotional and metaphorical armor, hiding behind her anger and that track jacket to not open herself too much and risk to be hurt again.

The fact that not only he came back despite what Ritsuko said, but did so by saving her life after she called for his help (basically acting completely opposite than during the Unit 03 fiasco 14 years ago) probably threw her emotions even more in chaos.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:53 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:The fact that not only he came back despite what Ritsuko said, but did so by saving her life after she called for his help (basically acting completely opposite than during the Unit 03 fiasco 14 years ago) probably threw her emotions even more in chaos.

We can't confirm if it was Shinji who saved Asuka at that time, right? It could have been Rei.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:26 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:We can't confirm if it was Shinji who saved Asuka at that time, right? It could have been Rei.

Asuka was being fried alive for a solid minute and EVA-01 didn't awoke until Asuka screamed "Do something, Baka Shinji". Adding to that the prequel manga where Mari (who by now we know knows much more that she let on) kept inciting Asuka to be the one in the front line because "Puppy Boy'd like that better too" (implying that it could be the key to make him go back, which it did) rather implies that it was indeed Shinji who did it.

I mean sure, there's nowhere in either Q nor Thrice explicitly confirming that it was Shinji (in fact, the matter is never brought up again after Ritsuko talks about it at the beginning of Q), but they also aren't implying anywhere that it actually was Rei or Yui who did it, which by default left the option that it was Shinji who did it.

And even if somehow it wasn't him, there's no reason for Asuka to think that it wasn't Shinji who awoke Unit 01 when it awoke just after she explicitly called for him to help her.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:33 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:We can't confirm if it was Shinji who saved Asuka at that time, right? It could have been Rei.

I mean you can argue anything you want but from a character, narrative & storytelling aspect it makes zero sense for Asuka yelling "Do something, Shinji" and then Unit 01 responding to her request being an action made by aynone than Shinji.
Especially since Asuka and the version of Rei in Unit 01 never interact once going forward.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 pm

Mexico will have a limited theatrical run by the end of September :D

EDIT: got my tickets for September 29th
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:04 am

Film is indeed showing in Glasgow and Edinburgh next month. Typically, I am away for the Edinburgh screening and the Glasgow one is late on a Sunday...but I'll still make it.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:37 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Film is indeed showing in Glasgow and Edinburgh next month. Typically, I am away for the Edinburgh screening and the Glasgow one is late on a Sunday...but I'll still make it.

Do you have a link, please? I thought those showings had already been and gone.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Film is showing in the US December 6, 8, and 11 with tickets going on sale in November. Trailer is the same Japanese one with Ogata at the end, so I think it's safe to say at least some of the showings will be subbed. No word on dubbed showings at this time.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:37 pm

Hell yeah!

I was worried they were going to screen the movie over Christmas when I would've been visiting family in their small one-tiny-theater-that-is-def-not-going-to-get-Eva town. But early December I'll still be in the city! Huzzah!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:09 pm

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Film is showing in the US December 6, 8, and 11 with tickets going on sale in November. Trailer is the same Japanese one with Ogata at the end, so I think it's safe to say at least some of the showings will be subbed. No word on dubbed showings at this time.

:gendo_yay:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”