Fuyutsuki's voice actor Kiyokawa Motomu passes away at 87

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Fuyutsuki's voice actor Kiyokawa Motomu passes away at 87

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:47 am

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/0d00b ... 77f7fdac94

Machine translation wrote:Motomu Kiyokawa, a voice actor known for his role as Kozo Fuyutsuki in "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and also active as an actor, died of pneumonia at 11:10 a.m. on August 17 at the age of 87, his Tokyo Acting Co-op (Haikyo) announced on its official website on August 22.

Photo] Motomu Kiyokawa voiced Kozo Fuyutsuki in "Eva.

On its official website, the haikyo announced that "Motomu Kiyokawa, an actor belonging to our association, passed away at 11:10 a.m. on Wednesday, August 17, 2022, due to pneumonia. He passed away at 87 years of age." The website also reported, "The funeral service was held only with his next of kin, in accordance with the wishes of his bereaved family.

He also expressed his gratitude for "your support, guidance, and encouragement to actor Motomu Kiyokawa over the years," and continued, "I would like to express my deepest gratitude for your kindness during his lifetime, and would like to express my deepest condolences.

Born in 1935, Kiyokawa entered the Haiyuza training school in 1957 and joined the Haikyo in 1968. While appearing on stage, he also worked as a voice actor, playing a wide range of roles from the dawn of anime to works directed by Hideaki Anno.

In Anno's works, he is best known for his role as Gargoyle in "Nadia of the Mysterious Sea" and as Kouzou Fuyutsuki in "Neon Genesis Evangelion. He continued to play Fuyutsuki until last year's release of "Shin Evangelion the Movie," the final film in the series. He also played the role of Temu Rei in "Mobile Suit Gundam," Tippy in "Is Your Order a Rabbit? Tippy in "Mobile Suit Gundam," Charles Auclair in "Nodame Cantabile," and many more. Motomu Kiyokawa, a voice actor known for his role as Kozo Fuyutsuki in "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and also an active actor, died of pneumonia at 11:10 a.m. on January 17 at the age of 87, his Tokyo Actors' Co-op (Haikyo) announced on its official website on January 22.

On its official website, the haikyo announced that "Motomu Kiyokawa, an actor belonging to our association, passed away at 11:10 a.m. on Wednesday, August 17, 2022, due to pneumonia. He passed away at 87 years of age." The website also reported, "The funeral service was held only with his next of kin, in accordance with the wishes of his bereaved family.

He also expressed his gratitude for "your support, guidance, and encouragement to actor Motomu Kiyokawa over the years," and continued, "I would like to express my deepest gratitude for your kindness during his lifetime, and would like to express my deepest condolences.

Born in 1935, Kiyokawa entered the Haiyuza training school in 1957 and joined the Haikyo in 1968. While appearing on stage, he also worked as a voice actor, playing a wide range of roles from the dawn of anime to works directed by Hideaki Anno.

In Anno's works, he is best known for his role as Gargoyle in "Nadia of the Mysterious Sea" and as Kouzou Fuyutsuki in "Neon Genesis Evangelion. He continued to play Fuyutsuki until last year's release of "Shin Evangelion the Movie," the final film in the series. He also played the role of Temu Rei in "Mobile Suit Gundam," Tippy in "Is Your Order a Rabbit? Tippy in "Mobile Suit Gundam," Charles Auclair in "Nodame Cantabile," and many more.

Unsure if this is the proper subforum for it. Please move it if necessary. Condolences from Khara et all will likely follow.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Fuyutsuki's voice actor Kiyokawa Motomu passes away at 87

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:39 am

Heartbraking. I'm so glad he could be part of Shin Eva. No one could have replaced his iconic voice and performance.

There is a statement by Anno:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:45 am

Oh, no... this is really sad. May he rest in peace.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:17 am

We have lost a legend.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:52 pm

RIP to one of the greatest voice actors.

An online translation of Anno's condolence letter for his passing.
Some translation errors for sure but seems Motomu Kiyokawa was very glad to have been able to finish his work as Fuyutsuki in the Rebuilds.
I'm very glad he was happy about and able to finish his contribution to the story.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:30 am

I was just informed...
It's really sad. Thanks for everything, sir!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:14 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:RIP to one of the greatest voice actors.[/twitter]

It'd seem Anno was aware of Kiyokawa's declining health. Maybe he had something terminal also.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:59 pm

FelipeFritschF wrote:It'd seem Anno was aware of Kiyokawa's declining health. Maybe he had something terminal also.

I doubt, nor would I hypothesize, it was anything so dramatic.

Kiyokawa Motomu was simply old. All reports are he passed away due to pneumonia and he likely recorded his lines for Thrice Upon A Time over two years ago when he was 85. That's a good old age. Some people when they get to that age they joke about immortality all the time. I'm sure with the gap between the final two films being so long, almost a decade, the two would have made jokes about the topic whenever/if ever they met.

I'm glad he and Anno had such a long lasting professional and personal relationship.

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The End of Evangelion, His and Her Circumstances, RE: Cutie Honey and all four Rebuild of Evangelion films is a partnership to be proud of.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:06 am

I hear about the news via Twitter. Damn, this is gonna color my whole week.

It was always a joy to hear his voice, both in Eva and in other, non-Eva works. He brings a unique warmth to his characters. Even in Nadia, his performance made the history between Gargoyle and Nautilus feel lived-in and genuine.

We really had to depart from one of the greatest of all time, but I’m glad to have been around to anticipate his works. The man is truly a legend.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:32 pm

RIP, Motomu Kiyokawa. We really have lost a legend here. I guess this makes his performance as Kozo Fuyutsuki in Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0 the final theatrical role of any kind he played? (Not sure, but it seems like it on a preliminary glance)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”