Ghosts of Evangelion

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Ghosts of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Since Bagheera's returned, i think it's safe to assume that this staff edit is no longer necessary

Nah. The fic will still be posted on Paul’s website until he decides otherwise, so the advisal is still good. Only difference is that any potential updates will go both here and there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:32 am

I edited that response into the first post, by way of clarification.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I edited that response into the first post, by way of clarification.

Thanks!
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:36 am

One of my favorite fics period. Handles the pacing and character growth really, really well and feels like something that could happen in universe. That's hard to do and requires an author who wants to invest in what will necessarily be a longer than average story to achieve that. There is no single event that will magically make Asuka and Shinji better. Shinji doesn't suddenly become a badass and Asuka doesn't suddenly swoon for Shinji or become nice with an edge. They struggle over a few years before developing into what could be considered a healthy relationship. And because this takes place right after EoE and then world after everyone comes back, it's very focused on the two of them instead of fighting angels.

I understand why Bagheera wrote it this way but for easier reading here's every "chapter" in chronological order. I haven't gone through every page to see if someone already did this...

January 14, 2016 .......................................... - 63 -
January 28, 2016 .......................................... - 14 -
February 3, 2016 .......................................... - 16 -
March 12, 2016 – Cello, pt 1 ............................. - 28 - May 23, 2020 .................................................. - 5 -
March 14, 2016 – Cello, pt 2 ............................. - 34 - June 1, 2020 ................................................. - 37 -
August 11, 2016 ............................................ - 61 - March 6, 2021 ............................................... - 65 -
August 12, 2016 ............................................ - 59 - March 14, 2021 ............................................. - 104 -
August 26, 2016 ............................................ - 48 - April 3, 2021 ................................................ - 111 -
September 9, 2018 ........................................ - 19 - April 6, 2021 ................................................. - 52 -
September 10, 2018 ........................................ - 9 - April 09, 2021 ............................................... - 55 -
September 12, 2018 ...................................... - 50 - July 23, 2021 - O-ki-na-wa ............................... - 68 -
September 14, 2018 ...................................... - 46 - August 14, 2021 ............................................ - 71 -
September 16, 2018 ...................................... - 31 - August 15, 2021 ............................................ - 75 -
September 19, 2018 ..................................... - 143 - August 21, 2021 ............................................ - 79 -
October 7, 2018 ............................................. - 25 - The same evening - 84 -
October 10, 2018 .......................................... - 12 - August 22, 2021 – Next morning - 87 -
November 23, 2018 ...................................... - 141 - August 22, 2021 .......................................... - 106 -
December 7, 2018 ......................................... - 57 - August 23, 2021 ......................................... - 118 -
December 4, 2018 ........................................ - 128 -
October 13, 2019 ........................................... - 40 -
October 13, 2019 ........................................... - 40 -

March 18, 2022 ............................................. - 90 - Side story: A Mother's Love
April 20, 2022 ............................................... - 89 - March 27, 2027 ........................................ - 160 -
April 23, 2022 ............................................... - 92 - March 30, 2027 .......................................... - 165 -
April 23, 2022 - later ...................................... - 95 - November 21, 2031 - pt 1 ............................ - 162 -
June 22, 2024 - Rebirth (true) pt 1 ..................... - 98 - November 21, 2031 - pt 2 ........................... - 166 -
June 24, 2024 - Rebirth (true) pt 2 ................... - 101 - November 21, 2031 - pt 3 ........................... - 167 -
June 26, 2024 ............................................. - 108 - June 24, 2032 .......................................... - 159 -
June 29, 2024 ............................................. - 115 - June 25, 2032 - pt 1 ................................... - 164 -
July 3, 2024 ............................................... - 113 - June 25, 2032 - pt 2 ................................... - 168 -
August 11, 2024 ......................................... - 132 - July 17, 2032.............................................. - 170 -
August 13, 2024 ......................................... - 134 - July 21, 2032.............................................. - 179 -
June 3, 2026 ............................................. - 146 - July 25, 2032.............................................. - 174 -
March 23, 2027 .......................................... - 137 - April 7, 2040 .............................................. - 181 -
September 20, 2030 ................................... - 122 - August 12, 2046 ......................................... - 183 -
September 13, 2030 ................................... - 117 - August 13, 2046 ......................................... - 189 -
June 4, 2035 ............................................. - 139 - July 7, 2046 ............................................... - 192 -
February 20, 2047 - ..................................... 147 - July 8, 2046 ............................................... - 193 -
December 16, 2080..................................... - 149 - July 9, 2046 ............................................... - 196 -
December 19, 2080 ......................................- 150 -
December 20, 2080..................................... - 152 -
Last edited by sephiroth2004 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 am

Bagheera, any other Eva fics or just this masterpiece?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:18 am

Hey, thanks for doing this! I know the random order threw a lot of people off, so this should help new readers a lot.

No other fics to speak of. This is it. I had something to say and I said it, and that's it. I might do more chapters in this fic, though.

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:42 am

Happy to support a great fic.

One day I might take the pdf and make the entire thing chronological rather than just the table of contents. If I ever do I'll send it to you.

Out of curiosity, did you intend for it to be read in the written or chronological order. I know chronological seems obvious but I could see some merit in a non-chronological read, getting the puzzle pieces out of order and finally putting them together. I read it chronologically but always wondered because of how the pdf was ordered.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm

I tried putting the chapters in order when this was part-written, and I felt it didn't work. Put simply, the chapters didn't read as though they were meant to be in order.

It would be easier for me to make an ordered version, though, as I have the Word document that the PDF is made from (Bagheera's version was the text form in the forum here and backed up for him on my own forum, but there have been a number of corrections since then).

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:57 pm

Yeah, I know people like to read it in order, but that always seemed odd to me given how I developed as a writer at the time. I would think the shift in writing style would be jarring.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 pm

It turns out that when I added the illustrations to the PDF, one short chapter got omitted in the editing (the original without illustrations is complete). Naturally, I shall produce an updated PDF!

While doing that I'll also produce a chronological option for those who want it.

Paul
Last edited by pwhodges on Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:29 pm

You can tell your style changes over the course of the fic, read non-chronologically aka the order you wrote it in.

It doesn't detract from the story at all and from a narrative standpoint, reading chronologically just makes a better story for me unless it was specifically designed to be read non-chronologically. For example, there's a game from a few years ago called The Quiet Man and you play as a deaf character (there's no sound). But it's obvious they didn't design the game with the context clues to let the player try to figure out what's going on without sound/dialogue and it becomes more obvious when there's an option (after a certain real world date) that turns the sound back on.

I understand that you wrote this non-chronologically but I don't get the impression it was designed specifically to be read out of order. IIRC, writing this way allowed you to easily add chapters later in the text that were chronologically earlier in the text. There's some chronologically very early stuff that, going by page number, was written towards the end of the fic i.e. September 19, 2018 is nine pages before the 2080 page 152 end of the main story. It's an interesting writing technique.

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:36 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It turns out that when I added the illustrations to the PDF, one short chapter got omitted in the editing. Naturally, I shall produce an updated PDF!

While doing that I'll also produce a chronological option for those who want it.

Paul

Thanks Paul!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:37 pm

Two new files of Ghosts of Evangelion (I'll keep checking for errors for a while, because they can slip in ever so easily in large Word files):

First, the "standard" version, with illustrations, and with the missing chapter restored; also, at the end I have added an index to the chapters in chronological order (this has clickable entries in the Word file, but sadly the conversion to PDF has only kept clickability in the contents list - I don't know why):

http://cassland.org/words/Ghosts_of_Evangelion_(Bagheera)_-_Illustrated_&_corrected.pdf

And here is the whole work in chronological order for those who prefer:

http://cassland.org/words/Ghosts_of_Evangelion_(Bagheera)_-_Chronological.pdf

Note that the chronological order has a few corrections from the table posted above; in particular, the chapter in three parts has the "third" part placed first to get the order correct.

Paul

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Wow, that was fast. Thanks Paul! I originally ordered the table of contents for myself and am happy to see a contribution to the community!

Return to “Fanfiction”