[DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: [DOUJINSHI] Re-Take

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 am

I'm with Buster on this one, a lot of retake fans absolutely do go that far, and not few of them are rather unpleasant about it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:09 pm

BusterMachine4, here what I'm going to do : This evening, I'm going to re read Re-Take and I'll tell you what I did like and dislike, ok? At least, it will be a killer time and something I'm going to do like a task this evening cause I'm fucking bored.

Anything else to trick boredom.

Edit : I agree with you that's the Rei love thing, was a bit stupid, but handled properly it could have been really interesting for Rei. I just fucking hated how a chapter ended by Rei suicide, Shinji was highly shocked and traumatised, but then another Rei clone comeback, Shinji don't question it much, and it's brushed over as fast as a crumb of food over your book -.-
Ban me forever.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:25 pm

So... I don't know if people are still interested in this, but the third chapter of the "sequel" Re-Take Kai dropped a few days ago and... well, it's fucking wild to say the least?
First, some recap of the first two volumes:
First one stars Shinji, Asuka, Mari, Kensuke and Toji in the reset world at the end of Samadoto's manga living their normal middle-school life (aside from Shinji and Asuka having weird - and NSFW - nightmares with characters from NGE and ROE), until Sachiel attack the city out of nowhere, everyone save Shinji dies, one of the petrified MP-Evas falls to the ground in front of Shinji and has an entry plug come out of it from which emerge... another Shinji, wearing what looks like EVA-13's plugsuit and sporting the same kind of eyepatch as Shikinami, who gives him the opportunity to set right what went wrong...

...which lead us to the second volume, opening with Leliel being torn to shreds by Unit 01 having Unit 02 in its arms, after what we learn that both Shinji and Asuka from the first volume were send to NGE in the local Shinji and Asuka's bodies. Of course they don't know wtf is going on and who are those people around them like Misato and Kaji (Ritsuko comes to the conclusion that their experience in Leliel gave them amnesia), but they quickly enough kinda acclimate to this new world. Then come the EVA-03 activation test with Toji, of which Shinji has a premonition that it will go badly and manage to have himself assigned as its test pilot (which shouldn't be possible per the rules of NGE, but that's actually foreshadowing), and the volume with Asuka in Unit 02 ready to face the infected Unit 03 with Shinji inside, an Asuka that has none of her counterpart's training and experience...

Third Volume  SPOILER: Show
So, remember how Leliel's presence meant that they were in NGE but Shinji piloting Unit 03 shouldn't be possible since its core doesn't have his mother's soul in it? Well surprise! Turns out we're in a mix of NGE and the Rebuild timeline! As the first image of the new volume is Unit 02 in Beast Mode with the crushed entry plug of Unit 03 between its teeth (and the implication that the Dummy Plug was activated, seeing Asuka's mortified reaction).
Asuka is next seen mourning in Misato's apartment, where she gets the surprise visit of... Ghost Asuka from the original Re-Take! :cringe: Who then proceeds to implant her (via a kiss...) with the memories of the events of the original Re-Take.
And also Shikinami's past as a clone apparently, since next scene has her convincing Kaji at gun point to bring her to the most secret parts of NERV, which brings them to an "Asukarium", cue Asuka's existential horror and breaking the vat with gunshots.
And next scene is Asuka against Zeruel (the Rebuild version of him), about to be defeated, but at the last second she is saved (and Zeruel destroyed) by... the AAA Wunder, flying inside the Geofront as if it already has its power source! And thus end this volume!

So yeah... that was something. I really don't know what to make of it, because unlike the original Re-Take where we have a clear plotline and objective (Shinji goes back in tome - or so he thinks - and tries to set thing right), here the story deliberately let us hanging without knowing wtf is going on, and we still don't know where the story wants to go.

My guesses:
SPOILER: Show
We're in a multiversal war between the one-eyed Shinji and Ghost Asuka, and unlike what the second volume made us think, eyepatch Shinji only "shifted" manga!Shinji, while manga!Asuka was shifted by Ghost Asuka.
A detail I've noticed in the second and third volumes is that both eyepatch Shinji and Ghost Asuka are drawn with slitted pupils, while the rest of the cast are drawn with normal round pupils, which implies a connection between those two.
So my theory is that we're in a "gods' was" story, where Shinji pilots Unit 03, is infected by Bardiel and nearly dies (whether it's this universe's own Shinji or the manga!Shinji and we're in a "stable time loop" is not yet clear), but then lost his marbles and gains multiversal powers that he uses to get to drag manga!Shinji in his world to be infected, and Ghost Asuka shifted manga!Asuka to stop him.
And both gods keep trying to stop each other by pulling out people and things from other times and universes, hence the Wunder at the end of the third volume.

The takeway is that whatever the author is taking, it's fucking strong! :psyduck:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

sephiroth2004
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby sephiroth2004 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:15 pm

Re-Take Kai is nuts. It's all over the place. The original benefited from a re-read to catch all the plot points. Kai benefits from a re-read because the first time through you have no idea what the plot is or what's going on.

Return to “Fan Works”