Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:36 am

Somehow I've seen 100 episodes of Digimon: I finished ZERO TWO last night and saw all of ADVENTURES sometime through March-April this year. I have a friend that is very much into it and has shared both anime almost daily whenever he has free time, and the experience certainly has been peculiar. Sometime later today we will start going through TAMERS, which is apparently the best series out of all of them. I'll see what happens.

I don't have an essay in me to talk about both in-depth or that much, but I'll sum up my thoughts with the following: ADVENTURES was a solid kids anime that provided a great foundation for some incredible episodes and direction.

ZERO TWO is a pretty messy kids anime, but explores a lot of interesting ideas and lore that make it easy to enjoy the ride.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:49 pm

The only Digimon show I've watched any meaningful amount of was Tamers; if I'm not completely mistaken, a good chunk of Eva staff worked on that as well, and it shows. Gets quite dark in places, especially for a show meant to sell a card game to kids. Can wholeheartedly recommend that one
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:06 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:The only Digimon show I've watched any meaningful amount of was Tamers; if I'm not completely mistaken, a good chunk of Eva staff worked on that as well, and it shows. Gets quite dark in places, especially for a show meant to sell a card game to kids. Can wholeheartedly recommend that one

I have yet to experience an anime written by Chiaki Konaka but I hear that his material borderlines on seriously FUBAR content. Was Konaka one of the writers of Eva cause if he ways then that explains a lot?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:38 pm

To my knowledge Konaka didn't work on Eva, but he worked on a number of 90s anime people love: THE BIG O and SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN are the big two. I like him, he explores really interesting ideas that stand out.

I know he works on a number of children's anime too, and I think a mindset he has is great for creativity. It certainly made the first 3 episodes of TAMERS that I saw really unique.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:11 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:The only Digimon show I've watched any meaningful amount of was Tamers; if I'm not completely mistaken, a good chunk of Eva staff worked on that as well, and it shows. Gets quite dark in places, especially for a show meant to sell a card game to kids. Can wholeheartedly recommend that one

I don't know about "good chunk", the one person I can confirm as a link between the two is Sushio who was one of the key animators.

https://myanimelist.net/people/8619/Sushio

Gainax was still going strong in 2001, so I'd be surprise to have seen a lot of talent jump ship to Toei, considering it's a far more by-the-numbers studio.

Poking around Konaka's notes I'm not seeing much either.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:49 pm

Huh, I appear to have been misinformed about that, then. Thanks for clearing that up!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Spring season was pretty good, both in the anime world and the real world(I went to Anime Central last month). Really enjoyed the six shows I watched, I'm sad to see em go.

My favorite of the season was Birdie Wing. We've seen girls playing (scorching) ping pong, girls driving tanks, girls climbing rocks, and girls playing baseball, but did we ever think we'd see girls playing golf? Yes. But I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. It was done by Sunrise, and they rarely disappoint but I was never much of a golf fan so I wasn't too interested in it at first, but by the third episode or so I was hooked. The main girl Eve is a hotshot golfer who wins golf games to support some orphans and to keep this bar open, while her best friend obsesses over Gunpla. A golfer from Japan, Aoi, visits Eve's hometown and falls in love with her golf game. The mob is involved and theres a game played in some underground course and everything is very soap opera-y. There are characters named Char and Amuro and Eve is constantly talking shit and stepping on the good manners of golf. It's all awesome, can't wait for the next cour in January!

I also really liked SpyXFamily and I know I'm not the only one. Anya was probably the highlight of the show, and is pretty enduring to screwups everywhere. That cow getting loose and the dodgeball episode will both stick with me for a while and that ED was a jam. The second cour should be a lot of fun now that the characters are nice and established... Now I just have to see if I wanna get a SpyXFamily shirt from Uniqlo, hehe.

This season's Love Live!! was killer as well, and I vibed with the American girl pretty well. It just seemed like the season needed to go on a bit more. I assume there'll be a movie or another season but who knows.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 pm

Uh excuse me, her name is Starlight Anya now.

On a more serious note, one thing I've been wondering about with Spy x Family is what tone the show is ultimately building towards. This first cour really reminded me of the early Full Metal Panic episodes where the comedy came from mundane life being executed as a spy/military/etc. mission by a bunch of professional goobers, though for FMP things ultimately got fairly dramatic by time you got to Second Raid and Invisible Victory.

I don't think Spy x Family has really gotten as dark as Sosuke Sagara PTSD shenanigans and such that were even there in FMP season 1, but there's just enough in the undertones of Spy x Family that it makes me wonder. Like the whole goal of the show right now is basically to orphan that child from the school. Loid is honestly kind of a bad guy from certain perspectives.

I haven't read the manga at all and maybe the story stays relatively goofy forever and this is reading a bit much into it, but it makes me wonder.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:21 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Birdie Wing. We've seen girls playing (scorching) ping pong, girls driving tanks, girls climbing rocks, and girls playing baseball, but did we ever think we'd see girls playing golf? Yes. But I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.
Guess I'll add that one to the list.
Which "Girls playing Baseball" show are you referring to? Princess Nine? If not- I'd like to compare them.

=========

Spring 2022 Season End:

Spy x Family – Ep11 appeared to be teeing-up a canine addition to the Forger household, so it was a bit odd that there was no development for this in Ep12.
I can only suppose that the Dog’s introduction will be part of an arc that would have required more than one episode to properly tell, so it was decided to end the season run with a filler episode.
Oh well, filler or not ep12 was still a good time, full of Forger family fun.
Very much looking forward to seeing the second half in October.

Aharen-San wa Hakarenai – Managed to avoid the pitfall of some (romantic) comedies and stayed silly and fun right to the end.

Kaguya-Sama: Love is War S3 – The season as a whole was lacking in the laughs department, which was a small shame; but by this point one was really watching to see the conclusion of the “will they/won’t they?” plot, which was fine.

The Rising of the Shield Hero S2 – After the horrendous 6-episode start, things were picking up a bit, then it all ended suddenly. A third season is supposedly coming, but I’ll be surprised to see them actually go through with it after this.

Ascendance of a Bookworm S3 – Had a lot going on in its final episode. The resolution to the conflict was a bit “well, wasn’t that convenient?” but the consequences hit hard. I enjoy emotional family moments, and this ended with a good, gut-punching one.
SPOILER: Show
Looking forward to seeing more.

Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs – Another forgettable, cheaply executed Isekai to throw onto the heap.
Most notable for having some of the ugliest “pretty” boy and “pretty” girl character designs I’ve seen.

Back Log:

The Saint’s Magic is Omnipotent – Typical isekai with an effortlessly overpowered main character.
For a small change it stars a female lead.
For an even larger change- the lead in question is out of her teens!

The story isn’t especially gripping or memorable, but it is pleasant to look at and has an endearing, little romance. Ideal entertainment for when you’re in the middle of exercises.
One very minor thing to note is that this is one of those oh-so-rare shows that (briefly) brings up the topic of acne. I can’t think of many shows that acknowledge the existence of skin blemishes, just DMC.

I’d love to see more spots/zits on animay teens, it could bring a little realism into my magical, giant-purple-robot, isekai-harem entertainments…
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:27 pm

The Killer of Heroes wrote:I haven't read the manga at all and maybe the story stays relatively goofy forever and this is reading a bit much into it, but it makes me wonder.

I haven't read the manga either but I think I could see it getting a bit serious. There were a few moments here and there that made me a bit nervous while watching the first season, like when the brother was interrogating that guy and when Yor was going through the worries about what kind of a wife she was. Obvi the show could stay silly since it's got such a goofy concept, but I'm thinking things will get REAL.

chazthesilencer wrote:Which "Girls playing Baseball" show are you referring to? Princess Nine? If not- I'd like to compare them.

I believee I've watched three baseball girls shows, the great Princess Nine, and then a couple forgettable ones called Cinderella Nine and Tomayomi. They were so forgettable I don't know if I could tell you the first thing about either of them. But Princess Nine was awesome. It's been a few years since I watched it but I loved how all the characters were fleshed out and it was grounded with how the team ended up.

---------
I also finished Magica Record this week, and I liked how it finished. I watched the first two seasons when they aired, but I always found the show a bit hard to follow. There's so many characters and it kinda plays with the Madoka universe in some weird ways but I think at the end of the day it turned out to be a pretty cool series, albeit one that might need some rewatching and that might leave you with a lot of questions. The animation was great all the way through, its packed with so many colors and quick shots and a lot of the battle scenes are really intense. The magical girl designs are a bit hit or miss but since there's so many of them that's to be expected. I liked how towards the end the show was really able to capture how hard and tragic it would be to be a magical girl in that world, especially if you're weak. The orignial serie's cast is perfect, but I liked how we saw a lot of girls in this series who had absolutely no business fighting witches. I liked see Madoka, Sayaka and Homura fighting together too, it was some nice fan service.

I can see people not liking the series since PMMM was such a perfect 12 episodes(and movie that some people love) and they could see this as a cash grab or something but I thought it was really done well and with respect to the source material. The universe that was created in PMMM is so fun and interesting and unique and you can do a lot of cool things with it, so why not?
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:56 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:
Spring 2022 Season End:

Spy x Family – Ep11 appeared to be teeing-up a canine addition to the Forger household, so it was a bit odd that there was no development for this in Ep12.
I can only suppose that the Dog’s introduction will be part of an arc that would have required more than one episode to properly tell, so it was decided to end the season run with a filler episode.
Oh well, filler or not ep12 was still a good time, full of Forger family fun.
Very much looking forward to seeing the second half in October.

I just started watching this series and it is very funny. If you ever want to unwind and not focus on the bad things in life (unlike Evangelion), I recommend.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:17 pm

Watched the 2013 Captain Harlock movie with a friend; quite entertaining, despite the plot only existing as a vessel for cool space battles. Looks very impressive, especially in regards to skin, hair and smoke effects; there were a number of times where I would not have been able to tell that I wasn't looking at a human actor if presented out of context.
Lives on its vibe, fun watch if you have some two hours to kill.
Also I'm like 90% convinced that the Arcadia is just a ghost ship in this version, so that's fun

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:48 pm

Currently watching Mawaru Penguindrum with some friends in preparation for Witch from Mercury; it is a wild ride so far and I am fully on board with it. It tickles my brain knots the same way that trying to predict what would happen in Shin did before its release.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:37 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Currently watching Mawaru Penguindrum with some friends in preparation for Witch from Mercury; it is a wild ride so far and I am fully on board with it. It tickles my brain knots the same way that trying to predict what would happen in Shin did before its release.

Spoiler: It's a
washing
machine. :devil:
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Just finished Ghost in shell SAC 2045 and it was not good. I have only watched the two ghost in the shell movies and none of the other SAC series but 2045 was available on Netflix so I watched the first season some time ago and finished watching the second season recently, which concluded the series. The first season had some pretty good action sequences, despite what the critics say, and I felt it had an interesting story involving the major and the team investigating 'posthumans' (advanced cybernetic humans who are considered the next stage in human evolution).

There is a huge disconnect between season 1 and season 2. No one seems to care about Togusa's disappearance from season 1 and there is a change in focus away from the major and the team taking on missions to other storylines involving 'posthumans' that don't add up coherently and is not properly explained. The ending ends up being an End of Evangelion or devil may cry scenario but is pretty unsatisfactory. The major and her team basically does nothing of significance and we are left with a pretty confusing finale to what was originally a highly anticipated SAC series. I swear the Tachikoma robots did 95% of all the work in this season, with major and the team basically running around and being led on a wild goose chase without a clue on what post-humans are or the villain's plan until the very ending. I think it was trying to re-tell the story from the original movie about a united consciousness and the next step in human evolution, but it lacked all the philosophy and good storytelling.

This may be one of the first anime series I watched that may have used the 'everything was a dream' plot (depending on how you interpret the ending)
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 am

Not much going on with this season. Gave Shadows House a look.

The world it creates is a wonderfully weird and mysterious one: We’ve got ourselves crying, talking, sleeping, walking living dolls, who exist primarily to serve their faceless masters (who appear as silhouettes in gothic garb) and clean the mansion they live in of soot, which can gather and form a monster if left unchecked.

You’re left wondering what other strange things will be introduced with each episode, like the oddly disturbing scene in ep2 where a living doll projects her master’s face:

The OP and ED are wonderfully unsettling too.

Ep5 managed to create a strong atmosphere of paranoia during the mysterious “debut” examination, but all this tension sadly got killed by a plodding, multi-episode garden labyrinth adventure starting with ep6. The creepy Gothic mystery became “The Crystal Maze”.

Ruining the tension and failing to maintain any sense of urgency is one thing (well, two things), but the reveal of silly concepts like “hey, this person is half human/half butterfly”, and “oh look- this person has super powers, too!” was when things really crashed through a Cliff Richard billboard.

It had me, then it lost me.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:53 am

^
For Shadows House, the manga chapters that the first season covered were much stronger. Some of that is down to the anime not being sure whether there'd be a second season, so rushing reveals and skipping developments with later pay-off to get to a dramatic event and thus a suitable stopping place. In particular, there was a much longer lead up to the debut in terms of chapters devoted to each. The more recent chapters, alas, after a break and a long digression, have become much less mystery and much more politics (and soot).

From the same mangaka as Kuro.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:35 am

Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero was so good! Totally worth the wait and way better than Super TV, lol. This might be my favorite Dragon Ball thing period after that.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:50 am

Watched Magnetic Rose with some friends just now, excellent little movie, well worth the 30ish minutes

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:39 am

I've been looking out old anime curiosities. I'm currently halfway through each of three six-parters.

10 Tokyo Warriors (1999 OAV) is pretty poor stuff - I'm not sure I'll bother to finish it. There is a supernatural setup not dissimilar to X ; but there is no useful description, so you're wondering what it's all about for quite a while. I gather that the second half is another arc, with a timeskip and unexplained differences. The arcs are taken selectively from a series of light novels.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, known in English as Looking Up at the Half-Moon, also started as a series of light novels. It was adapted as a 6-episode anime TV series, followed the same year by a 13-episode live-action TV series, and a few years later by a live-action film. It's unusual in being set entirely in a hospital (except that the protagonists often slip out for various reasons). It's a romance, with one party having a probably terminal illness, for which they will have a potentially fatal operation - this (but nothing else) is like Your Lie in April. I think the 2006 anime version is rather sweet - quite gentle, and mostly not too absurd. Reviews vary strongly from loving it to hating it. EDIT: I finished Looking Up at the Half-Moon. I can't understand those who criticise the story for being bland. Sure, it starts gently, but the 5th episode in particular, and the ending have a decent amount of drama. My earlier assessment of "sweet" was undervaluing it. The plot also uses Night on the Galactic Railroad, both as a book which is read by the characters, and as having plot elements that could relate to their story. It's more deeply embedded, actually, than the similar usage in the film Giovanni's Island.

Please Save My Earth (original title in English) is a 1993 OVA with six 30-minute episodes. The story covers less than half of a 21-volume manga. The story involves a group of children who discover that they have the memories of seven now-dead aliens (not necessarily of the same gender) who had been isolated on the Earth's moon when their civilisation was destroyed by an unimaginable weapon. So the story has two parallel paths, tracing the behaviour of the trapped aliens and the realisation of what happened in their pasts by the children. There may be some low-level time-travel shenanigans as well, as one of the aliens is seen to be aware of her reincarnation in Japan. Although the initial build-up is slow, this series is clearly posing moral dilemmas for the viewer to ponder. I'm pretty sure I'll go on to read the manga as well. Music in the anime is by Yoko Kanno, which is an additional recommendation.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”