Could Asuka and Rei have ever been friends?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Could Asuka and Rei have ever been friends?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:19 pm

So the idea of Asuka and Rei being friends might have been far fetched as the original series goes. And the spin offs took on a lighter tone and tackled that possibility.

Due to the tragic turn of events, as well as the children facing their own issues, the chances of them being on friendly terms were highly unlikely.

Which is rather unfortunate, considering how they have some things in common. And if they worked out their personal issues, they might have also taken the time to get to know each other better.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

asukakinnie
Embryo

Re: Could Asuka and Rei have ever been friends?

•      
  •      

Postby asukakinnie » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:55 am

I think they could’ve been, yes! It seems like a lot of people look over how Asuka did try to make friends with Rei in episode 9 and episode 12. If Rei wasn’t as indifferent towards Asuka as she was and warmed up to her a bit I don’t see why they couldn’t have formed a bond.
Last edited by asukakinnie on Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm

what exactly do they have in common :???:? Asuka is red-haired, hot-headed, and somewhat social, whereas Rei is blue-haired, calm, and detached from worldly affairs. Stick them in an elevator alone, and there'd be one hell-of-an awkward silence.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:46 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:what exactly do they have in common :???:? Asuka is red-haired, hot-headed, and somewhat social, whereas Rei is blue-haired, calm, and detached from worldly affairs. Stick them in an elevator alone, and there'd be one hell-of-an awkward silence.

Well, Rebuild might explain that.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon May 09, 2022 12:59 pm

with the focus they had I doubt it,
That said realistically the pilots should be somewhat celebrities and be asked for interviews under those conditions Rei would have needed Asuka.
Nothing was really made of the death of the pilot of unit 04 Asuka must have known him (honestly it's weird that she had such little interaction with Rei before going to Japan).
Whilst the dummy plug with unit 02 was a immediate no, given that Asuka pilotted in tandem with Shinji it could have been interesting to see Asuka and Rei give it a go. (matarael could have worked where Shinji and Asuka leeched of unit 00 to extend their batteries and Asuka forcing Rei in unit 02 sort of solves the battery issue or at least make it more interesting and continuig Asuka forcing Rei into a more active position)

God
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby God » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:48 pm

View Original Postasukakinnie wrote: If Rei wasn’t as indifferent towards Asuka as she was and warmed up to her a bit I don’t see why they couldn’t have formed a bond.

I wish so as well. I think that throughout the EoTV Rei and Asuka never really able to form that connection. I think it was mostly because Asuka had been quite envious of Rei and Shinji's relationship. That was seen in the episode 22 cut 316

Clowncarcrash
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Clowncarcrash » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:27 pm

I haven’t seen or read any of the spinoff/AU manga, but yea I’m sure they could have been…but I think Rei would need to have a normal upbringing. I’m not sure what they’d have been able to bond over?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”