Hideaki Anno's Bonbori Matsuri Lantern 2022

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Hideaki Anno's Bonbori Matsuri Lantern 2022

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32 am

Yeah, a new movie would be impossible at this point and it would defeat Shin's point. But it's funny to come up with potential crazy names XD
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:01 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Yeah, a new movie would be impossible at this point

SPOILER: Show

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:14 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:This would constitute a soft announcement or tease, which, considering this isn't being presented on either Khara Twitter account and is only sourced from photos from one visitor via eva--fan, wouldn't be a very effective announcement.

Just FYI, the Evangelion official account posted this:

There’s no useful information, though.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:21 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Another thing is, the previous lantern illustrations were for projects that were expected and announced. This would constitute a soft announcement or tease, which, considering this isn't being presented on either Khara Twitter account and is only sourced from photos from one visitor via eva--fan, wouldn't be a very effective announcement.

It's actually not that uncommon for first looks at new stuff he shows to be very lowkey.
But again, there's no way this is a film. The bluray for Shin Eva is the next big thing and it might be a short or something.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:38 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:Just FYI, the Evangelion official account posted this:
SPOILER: Show

There’s no useful information, though.

Now, this is totally intentional.

It seems they are trying to tease something.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 pm

When the Rebuild project was born it was also intended to be a quickie project that the team would knock out in a period of less than two years and was likely designed to raise quick money for Khara to do other projects.

Then the project grew, became more ambitious and Khara spent over 5 years making the final film alone.

Things change.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:45 pm

I wouldn't mind another cash grab at this point. But it would be silly, considering how Shin was marketed as "The End of Evangelion... For real this time, we swear" lol
While we're at it, how about giving us the HD remake of the series you guys promised to us back in 2005? Yeah, give us original NTE and a remake of EOE. Anything goes at this point. Oh, and if 2.5 is real, it better have that donkey in it and a 30 minute scene of Mari and Asuka eating ramen.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:00 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:Now, this is totally intentional.

It seems they are trying to tease something.

Yeah, this is textbook teasing to raise the hype for a future announcement. Khara know full well that the missing events between N3I and A3I is the topic most speculated on by fans, ever since 3.0 skipped it by surprise, and especially after Anno's interview revealing that this movie teased in the 2.0 NTP was actually the one they initially planned.
They must know that showing out of nowhere a piece of concept art of this period (during a festival where Anno is known to had revealed some designs in advance) will fire up the speculation and hype machine, so them showing this just for shit and giggles would have a negative effect on the fans.

So yeah, I'm expecting an announcement soon, whether it'll be a movie, series, manga, or simply an art expo with unused concepts.

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I wouldn't mind another cash grab at this point. But it would be silly, considering how Shin was marketed as "The End of Evangelion... For real this time, we swear" lol

The more I think about it, and the more I believe that by "The End of everything Evangelion", we should add "by Anno". He said in interviews that for him NTE was Shinji's story and that he was finished with his story, which opens the way for other members of the studio to explore the events surrounding his story (as noted by trattopen, they already started with the 3.0 prequel mini-manga), or even someone else to tell their own story of Evangelion: that what he said when in interviews when 1.0 was released, wanting to make Eva a franchise like Gundamn, although I'm curious to see how such a thing will pan out, since Evangelion is a story intrinsically tied to its creator and his mindset of the moment.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:10 pm

And then there's the chance that it will be just a scale model kit of this Eva-02 variant, no visual media whatsoever :D

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:19 am

Tbh I'd be surprised if a film revealing everything about the timeskip weren't kimda silly. Still hoping this is a fanservicey short or something.

Give me new projects by younger khara staff too! Hibiki Yoshizaki is so good.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:15 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Tbh I'd be surprised if a film revealing everything about the timeskip weren't kimda silly. Still hoping this is a fanservicey short or something.

Give me new projects by younger khara staff too! Hibiki Yoshizaki is so good.

A film wouldn't reveal everything about the timeskip. At most, it would reveal the events between N3I and the Third Impact.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:55 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:And then there's the chance that it will be just a scale model kit of this Eva-02 variant, no visual media whatsoever :D

Reminder that they released a model of Unit 8+2 from the original 3.0 NTP, despite it obviously being a placeholder model, which became even more hilarious when the concept itself of 8+2 ended never being used. :D
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:24 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:A film wouldn't reveal everything about the timeskip. At most, it would reveal the events between N3I and the Third Impact.

Let’s be real, that’s the only part of the timeskip that actually matters, and it’s what everyone is actually referring to when they say that the original 3.0 was supposed to cover the timeskip. The boring 14 years in the middle of WILLE slowly building up their resources and rebuilding what they can while fending off occasional attacks from Gendo’s mass produced Eva’s likely wouldn’t make the most compelling cinema.

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:51 pm

Archer wrote:
The boring 14 years in the middle of WILLE slowly building up their resources and rebuilding what they can while fending off occasional attacks from Gendo’s mass produced Eva’s likely wouldn’t make the most compelling cinema.

I agree with you. The only thing that seems to have us fans headscratching are the events that happened after N3I and culminating with A3I and its abortion. I've seen a lot of people discuss how this events could have been developed and it would be great to have a movie visually explaining what happened.

They skipped that part to give us the shock value through Shinji's perspective, but now that Shinji's POV is finally over, they can give us a movie to fill-in the gaps that were left unsolved or barely touched.

I am really interested in watching the 11th angel battle and everything that came after that, culminating with the characters stopping A3I. I think it could make a great addition to NTE's lore.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:45 am

It'd be fantastic if they'd ever cover that period. But I would also like a flashback covering 2nd impact; we still have no clue what happened or even what the Adams are.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:27 am

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:I am really interested in watching the 11th angel battle and everything that came after that, culminating with the characters stopping A3I. I think it could make a great addition to NTE's lore.

11th and 12th angels!

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:37 am

ElMariachi wrote:although I'm curious to see how such a thing will pan out, since Evangelion is a story intrinsically tied to its creator and his mindset of the moment.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work either. Anno is EVA and EVA is Anno. The best I can think of is the manga, but we know how that came off... I mean, NTE is far from perfect, but at least it is genuine (is a story that reflects his current mindset in creating each film and all). In any case, "2.5" would still be a part of the world he created. It would likely be based on what he invented 10 years ago and he would probably oversee it. That would be weird... and interesting.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:20 am

In which I haphazardly self-indulge: https://imgur.com/a/fNx1Xoq

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:12 pm

View Original PostArcher wrote:Let’s be real, that’s the only part of the timeskip that actually matters, and it’s what everyone is actually referring to when they say that the original 3.0 was supposed to cover the timeskip. The boring 14 years in the middle of WILLE slowly building up their resources and rebuilding what they can while fending off occasional attacks from Gendo’s mass produced Eva’s likely wouldn’t make the most compelling cinema.

As I said in another thread, I could see the post A3I being partially covered with short animations or mangas, each covering a particular event and character, like the 3.0 - 120mn manga explained why Asuka wore a tapped up plugsuit in 3.0, and expanded a little on her feelings for Shinji and her friendship with Mari.

View Original PostAsukaShikinami10 wrote:I am really interested in watching the 11th angel battle and everything that came after that, culminating with the characters stopping A3I. I think it could make a great addition to NTE's lore.

I want to see Mark.06 in action, they hyped it for two movies as Kaworu's own Eva, the closest to an equal to Unit 01, and then had it destroyed offscreen during the timeskip! I want to see how BS this Eva truly is! :eva01_roar:

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure how that would work either. Anno is EVA and EVA is Anno. The best I can think of is the manga, but we know how that came off... I mean, NTE is far from perfect, but at least it is genuine (is a story that reflects his current mindset in creating each film and all). In any case, "2.5" would still be a part of the world he created. It would likely be based on what he invented 10 years ago and he would probably oversee it. That would be weird... and interesting.

If they really intend to make a movie, series or something about the events post-2.0, it could be a prototype of what "Eva after Hideaki Anno" would be, as a test to see if it works and eventually continue to expand this universe if it does.

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:In which I haphazardly self-indulge: https://imgur.com/a/fNx1Xoq

Nice! I like the choice of colors on Asuka's advanced plugsuit.

AsukaShikinami10
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby AsukaShikinami10 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:20 pm

El mariachi wrote:
If they really intend to make a movie, series or something about the events post-2.0, it could be a prototype of what "Eva after Hideaki Anno" would be, as a test to see if it works and eventually continue to expand this universe if it does.

Anno even said that he wanted Evangelion to be like Gundam, so it's not that farfetched to think that the younger Khara staff could pick the important events after N3I to turn them into the next project.

Lets remember there are many possibilities to explore, like Asuka's awakening, the battle against the 11th angel, Mari's interrogation scene, the arrival of the 12th angel, the series of events that led to the A3I and its aftermath.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”