Original/Netflix's episodes' titles vs. the ADV alternatives

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Susie Bakha
Embryo

Original/Netflix's episodes' titles vs. the ADV alternatives

Postby Susie Bakha » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:27 pm

Hello! Recently, I've learned that episode titles are different, depending whether we talk about the original, Japanese ones (Netflix uses the direct translation of those) or the alternatives used by ADV. Some are very similar, however the vast majority of them is completely different. Now, as someone who doesn't have any hopes of ever comprehending such language as Japanese, I can't really discuss the actual, original titles, but I trust that the proposed translation is accurate. Basically, I would like to ask about your personal opinion on the diffrence and what version you prefer better?

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that fiding a suitable title for something is an intresting task, that can even be regarded, in some way, as art. The art of finding something that is simultaneously eye-cathing, poetic and describes the overall tone of the work properly. Basically, I think the Japanese episodes' names are better at this. I can't say they are perfect, sure some of them are dull and uninteresting, but they at least say something about the episode. At the same time, some of the ADV dub titles are too enigmatic, ambiguous, or... how to say it? Poetic, exalted??? For instance, Episode 15 "Those women longed for the touch of others' lips, and thus invited their kisses." Or, Episode 24 "The Beginning and the End, or 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door'", this one sounds just ridiculous (only my opinion!). Although, I have to say, the Japanese "Mind, Matching, Moment" is far from the sheer perfection of "Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!". I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand the faults of the Japanese titles, but I still think they are way better at.. well, "being titles". The ADV ones are not terrible, as I said, some of them are even better, but in the end they are way too ambiguous.

Hey, but it's only my opinion, I would love to hear your opinions, as I feel like I may be a bit too harsh on ADV. I'm as well curious what are your favourite titles. Make sure to mention it! Mine has to be Episode's 4 "Rain, After Running Away".

Also I should clarify that I'm speaking of the original show's titles, not about "The End of Evangelion".

Here's a link to a Wikipedia page, where all the possible titles are written: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... n_episodes

And yeah, of course, "Asuka Strikes!" is way better than "Asuka Arrives in Japan", can't deny that.
Last edited by Susie Bakha on Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"..."

-Rei

gelflinghand
Embryo

Re: Original/Netflix's episodes' titles vs. the ADV alternatives

Postby gelflinghand » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:24 pm

Each episode actually has two different titles in the original Japanese broadcast, a Japanese one early on and an English one around the middle of the episode. In some cases ADV and Netflix may have translated the Japanese titles a bit differently. Which title I prefer varies depending on the episode.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:07 am

From one of the more blatant EVA parody parts of the BurnUp series, the start-up sequence for a purple and green one-horned mech

The Engrishness of the text is enough to suggest that this is the original, rather than anything edited in by ADV.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:48 pm

This thread has been locked.
(under the OP's own request)
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”