[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TojiWasScrewedOver
Embryo

Re: [Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

•      
  •      

Postby TojiWasScrewedOver » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:13 am

OMG, THE GITHUB PAGE WAS UPDATED!
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re

I hope so badly we get a release this year!

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:29 am

View Original PostTojiWasScrewedOver wrote:OMG, THE GITHUB PAGE WAS UPDATED!
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re

I hope so badly we get a release this year!

Not likely this year. More likely end of next year.
There's a lot of text in this game. A lot.
The problem is that there's no context information on who says what dialog.
This gives translators a lot of trouble but personally I think the approach should be to keep it vague.

It's like Animal Crossing where multiple villagers can say the same line.

I ended up writing code that's not on Github to send the game dialog to various translation APIs.
One of the problems is the APIs would treat linebreaks as separate sentences.
So I had to send the game dialog without linebreaks.

Additionally the API would return the translation with special characters missing. The special characters would denote where a character name or object name would go. So I wrote code to intelligently add that back as well as the linebreaks.

Even though I automated that, I'm in the process of reviewing 100 machine translations a day manually.
My goal here is to fix the technical issues that I see with the machine translations that I didn't catch originally, and also to get the machine translation good enough with a second glance and have people tweak it afterwards to be amore correct translation.

While I'm doing the above I'll need to try to get someone to start working on the images in the github repo and have them create textless versions of the images as a start.

Like they would need to take images like this,
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re/blob ... ICTURE.png

and create a "BASE" variant called wmap00.zpt.DECOMPRESSED.PICTURE.BASE.png that removes all the text completely and just leaves behind the button background. They would have to use their judgement when to remove English text and when it can stay. Sometimes the game writes a menu item in Japanese and in English but in smaller font. In those cases both should be erased so that in the future the English can be written in place of the Japanese in larger font.

Other cases like the above image the English "Stayer" and "Information" could stay.
It might be worth deleting the "WC" though so when the other buttons are done in English it is easier to match font.
In and of itself, self-evident.

TojiWasScrewedOver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TojiWasScrewedOver » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:59 am

While I'm doing the above I'll need to try to get someone to start working on the images in the github repo and have them create textless versions of the images as a start.

and create a "BASE" variant called wmap00.zpt.DECOMPRESSED.PICTURE.BASE.png that removes all the text completely and just leaves behind the button background. They would have to use their judgement when to remove English text and when it can stay. Sometimes the game writes a menu item in Japanese and in English but in smaller font. In those cases both should be erased so that in the future the English can be written in place of the Japanese in larger font.

If you want, I know a place that could possibly help with the images. PM me if you're interested, they are a discord group that translates and helps other people translate anime games.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:03 am

View Original PostTojiWasScrewedOver wrote:If you want, I know a place that could possibly help with the images. PM me if you're interested, they are a discord group that translates and helps other people translate anime games.

I hope that works out! Good luck!

Endergaming2546
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Endergaming2546 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:34 pm

Been trying to get your translation to work for a while and decided to come here to check things out, and saw that quote and so edited the images, and removed all (including English, which I can edit back in what is necessary), and so if you are still working on this project/are fine with outside help or whatever, and you still need the images, here!

https://github.com/Endergaming2546/nge_ ... menus/base

hope I am doing this right, first time posting on this site

I also hope this is what you meant by the images with no text...

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:20 am

View Original PostEndergaming2546 wrote:Been trying to get your translation to work for a while and decided to come here to check things out, and saw that quote and so edited the images, and removed all (including English, which I can edit back in what is necessary), and so if you are still working on this project/are fine with outside help or whatever, and you still need the images, here!

https://github.com/Endergaming2546/nge_ ... menus/base

hope I am doing this right, first time posting on this site

I also hope this is what you meant by the images with no text...

That is perfect! Thanks so much. I'll add them into the main repository in the morning.
The idea is that this way the process of translating the images is streamlined.

One group just needs to focus on removing text while the other on adding text.

Endergaming2546
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Endergaming2546 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:44 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:
That is perfect! Thanks so much. I'll add them into the main repository in the morning.
The idea is that this way the process of translating the images is streamlined.

One group just needs to focus on removing text while the other on adding text.

I can do both, since as far as I can tell, I just need to do the scenario and character card folders, since title cards can just be black. If you can tell me a font, I can get to working on the menus (using google translate and where the menu appears). Its either that, translating the title cards, or the character cards. I'll work on the character cards for now though, and throw them into the same repository.

Anyway, glad that this will hopefully help!

TojiWasScrewedOver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TojiWasScrewedOver » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:36 am

I know this might sound dumb, but will this patch work on an actual PSP or will I have to emulate it?

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:24 am

View Original PostTojiWasScrewedOver wrote:I know this might sound dumb, but will this patch work on an actual PSP or will I have to emulate it?

You can run patched ROMs on an actual PSP, yes, but it requires additional setup.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:29 pm

I got busy with other things but I will make sure to add your base images and update docs to account for them.

As for playing this on actual PSP, I've decided to make this project easier by not going out the way to support the PSP.
Instead it will be for emulator and someone else can work on making it run on PSP.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:28 am

I have added the base images to the repo finally. Sorry about the delay.

I have come to the realization that we will have to resort to using icons instead of text translations for some of the UI elements due to how small the icons are.

I drew up a few test icons, to match Baz's translation:

View Original PostBaz wrote:Some of these are barely legible, but here goes:

喬 high (doubtful about this one)
低 low

好意 good will
関心 interest

空腹 hunger
水分 fluids
眠気 fatigue
WC toilet
風呂 bath

所持アイテム inventory
ステータス status

食 food
WC toilet
水 water
風呂 bath
眠 sleep
自販 vend
買 buy

In game, before and after:

There are some palette and transparency issues but I can always investigate that later.
Also I'm thinking the font Trebuchet MS is a pretty good replacement for the game's UI menu elements. It's not exact but it's compact and clear.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon May 01, 2023 1:56 am

I've fixed most of the issues above.

I've also translated the guest names that appear top right.

TojiWasScrewedOver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TojiWasScrewedOver » Mon May 01, 2023 2:44 am

Yo! Nice to see you back with updates, deeRez! Keep up the amazing work, King!

kaworukisser
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kaworukisser » Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:05 pm

hello!
i hope im not being rude if i ask how is the translation going and when do you think the game in english will be available?
im a fairly new eva fan and ive been looking forward to play the games.
thank you for the hard work by the way

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:02 am

I hadn't seen these updates either and I'm glad you're still working on it. Thanks deeRez, and good luck!

Endergaming2546
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Endergaming2546 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:13 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:There are some palette and transparency issues but I can always investigate that later.

assuming that is my fault (and the base images I made are the ones with the issues), I apologize. I meant to go back and fix some things (like the lack of dithering) but either I forgot or I ran out of time.

Also good to see its still in progress!

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:57 am

This is still ongoing I just had a lot of busy things to do in life in other areas.

Last thing I worked on was tools to help others partake in speeding up translations
so I'll need to work on finishing that.

View Original PostEndergaming2546 wrote:assuming that is my fault (and the base images I made are the ones with the issues), I apologize. I meant to go back and fix some things (like the lack of dithering) but either I forgot or I ran out of time.

Not your fault. It's because the code I use to export to the PNG format creates a nonstandard PNG file that has RGB in a palette and Alpha in the image data while PNG expects the Alpha as part of the RGB.

TojiWasScrewedOver
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TojiWasScrewedOver » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:27 am

Glad to see you haven't given up! You're doing God's work, bro! Can't wait to finally play this game someday.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:29 pm

Hey, thanks for doing this, I've been playing both the PS2 and PSP versions and it's quite an interesting game. Funny that the PSP later release is more refined, but of course as it often happened with PSP ports at that time, graphically it looks much worse. Rei's apartment in the PS2 version is very detailed, there is an eerie beauty to it, but in the PSP one it's really boring. Would it be possible for you to upload backgrounds and stuff on e-hentai or something like xPearse did for some of the 2D games?

EDIT: Nevermind, they're on the github!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”