Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:49 pm

So take this with a grain of salt, but I've checked that booklet image with a translator, and they mentioned they actually read the whole thing. The image I posted - sourced from a Chinese fan - omits a few sentences, and in it Anno does confirm he'll return to making new works after whatever he's helping Tsurumaki with: they agree it's most likely an original IP. A very good point that Szmitten brought up is that Tsurumaki himself has also been making every Eva animation for the past 25 years so he doesn't necessarily want to keep doing it or just make "his" Eva (disregarding how he ended up losing control of Shin). My friend believes Shin Ultraman II (2026 or so?) is the most likely possibility, but another one is Anno's 30-year dream to make a Shin Nausicaa of sorts. Anno, who as you know worked on Nausicaa as animator, has been asking Miyazaki about it ever since, and finally got authorization in 2013, while dubbing for The Wind Rises. He's been busy on all the four Shin movies, of course. Nausicaa presents a bit of a problem because Anno would presumably want to adapt the "real" ending, that is to say, the manga, which finished in 1994, whereas the Nausicaa movie was made in 1984. Could be a new bunch of movies (trilogy?) or a series.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:41 pm

If anyone is in New York soon the New York Asian Film Festival has added a second showing of Shin Ultraman on July 25th and right now (July 15) tickets are currently available.

https://www.filmlinc.org/films/shin-ultraman/

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:36 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If anyone is in New York soon the New York Asian Film Festival has added a second showing of Shin Ultraman on July 25th and right now (July 15) tickets are currently available.

https://www.filmlinc.org/films/shin-ultraman/

Got tickets to the Monday showing, I only saw the sold out Saturday before so I'm very excited!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:57 am

Have fun! I wish I could go but not in the cards for me this year alas.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:31 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Have fun! I wish I could go but not in the cards for me this year alas.

Had an emergency and couldn't make it. I'm sure it'll be somewhere else soon, hopefully!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:09 pm

Funimation is bringing "ULTRAMAN RESURGENCE" to theaters.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:58 pm

Are you sure?

I think this Twitter account is fake, Freaky: I see a number zero where the vowel “O” should be in @FUNIMATI0N. The account is not verified either.
Also, Funimation is now Crunchyroll.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:37 pm

Yeah that's a fake. All things Funi are under the Crunchyroll brand now.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:39 pm

Not to mention Shin Godzilla was distributed in the US as Shin Godzilla, having given up on RESURGENCE pretty early on. Why would they go with RESURGENCE again for Ultraman?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:59 am

Damn, I should not be allowed on Twitter anymore, huh? -o-;

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:11 am

I fell for it too, seeing how I was so excited! I wouldn't be surprised if they change the nam though with how Tsuburaya has been pushing Ultraman as an international brand on youtube. For some of the films they put up they translated titles as well.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:17 pm

I could see both, them changing the name or keeping it. Since the whole Shin thing has become like Anno's brand.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:42 pm

I fell for the faker as well. Retweeted it & all before realizing what was up. Such is social media.

I feel whoever handles it in the US will keep the SHIN name. Since the title was kept for Shin Godzilla - which once was rumored to be retitled Godzilla Resurgence for US audiences - and that film was such a success it makes sense to keep it as a tie in to the Godzilla movie.

I really hope this gets a US theatrical run of some kind similar to what Shin Godzilla did but if Anno/Khara really are upset with Funimation over how the Rebuilds went down & have any say in how they're distributed overseas I wonder if a deal like that could happen again?
My thinking of late is the film might ultimately go direct to streaming either through Amazon Prime - close relationship formed over Thrice Upon A Time - or Netflix - who seem all in on Ultraman having made an animated series & currently working on an animated movie - or AppleTV+ cause Tim Cook actually sat down with Shinji Higuchi in 2019 to geek out over the movie:

In other news, Discotek Media, who are releasing Gunbuster on disc at some point this year, just announced they've launched a whole new physical media label just to handle Tokusatsu shows + films & that makes me think if anyone in the US is going to get the rights to Shin Ultraman & Shin Kamen Rider in the future it might be them.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-07-30/discotek-launches-new-toku-time-label-for-tokusatsu-shows/.188139

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:48 pm

I'd like to think Discotek is handling it but for KR didn't Shout Factory already release Kamen Rider 01 and are going to release Kuuga next?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:25 pm

I wonder what even led to that Tim Cook meeting. I remember being really surprised ad the time.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:20 pm

Uhh FYI guys, the real announcement came 14 hours ago:

I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:42 am

Shame it's just "Coming Soon" I did get a vinyl of one of the Kaiju but I'm afraid I was spoiled on something while browsing Mandarake. Here's hoping it means VERY SOON!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:34 pm

Not a lot of big movies coming out in the US for the next two months so hopefully they'll aim for a September release when they could likely get more screenings at more theaters at a cheaper rate & won't be competing with the big Hollywood movies that would take priority.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:12 am

It will be shown in Philippine cinemas (where I live) this September.
And the showings will have English subtitles. I would be worried if Lionsgate is showing this, since their subtitles in Weathering With You (which they showed here as well) were wonky compared to the subtitles on the Blu-ray, despite using the exact same script because the on-screen text was not subtitled.
Lionsgate did have good subtitles for Shin Godzilla when they showed it here, though, according to people who saw it here.

And Lionsgate Philippines at least shows movies with subtitles instead of poorly dubbing them, since Lionsgate Philippines made an English dub of Stand by Me: Doraemon which became lost media. And Lionsgate US is more infamous for terrible English dubs of foreign films starring Rob Schneider and Pauly Shore (like that recent Russian Pinocchio movie that became a meme because of the terrible English dub).

Lionsgate also distributes Orphan: First Kill here in the Philippines and they use poorly translated Engrish (despite the Philippines being part of the Anglosphere) and clickbait articles on the official trailers here.
The marketing for the film is so terrible here compared to how Paramount marketed it in America, but at least Lionsgate gave it a wide theatrical release.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:27 am

A company called "The Exchange" appears to be handling the international sales rights for Shin Ultraman in all territories outside Asia. The Exchange is currently showing the movie off to buyers and distributors at the Toronto Film Festival which runs until Sunday Sept 18.

With any luck we'll start hearing news about international releases soon. Still hoping us heathens in the rest of the world get to see the movie soon but on the bright side this confirms the movie will get some kind of theatrical release the world over and isn't going straight to streaming.

https://variety.com/2022/film/global/shin-ultraman-the-exchange-1235369098/

EDIT:

If any of y'all live in Texas the Fantastic Fest in Austin will screen Shin Ultraman this Friday - Sept 23 - and Shinji Higuchi will be in attendance and hold a Q&A afterward.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”