Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Re: Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:03 pm

View Original PostAve Omnissiah wrote:My background is one of historic education and military industrial analysis, which has shaped how I view media such as Eva. Just as there is a shift away from the Great Man Theory in historiography, I find the concept of "history from below" can be fascinating in fictional mediums as well- how does the average person experience and influence the events around them?

I first stumbled on the Wiki while working on a project involving running modeling and analysis of fictional employment of real-world systems, which I decided to apply to Evangelion in part due to the detailed portrayal of recognizable defense assets. Once I got started, I decided to share the fruits of my labor with the community that had made it so much easier, so look forward to that in the coming weeks!

This sounds like an intriguing lens to view Eva under, I'm very interested in seeing what you have to share!
Après moi le déluge!

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:47 pm

Hello! I am back.

I was quite active here many years ago, but I left upon the release of Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo, due to not being able to view the movie for months, and not wanting to be spoiled by any discussion of it.

Now I have finished watching 3.0+1.0, and I am ready to engage in discussion again. I might not be as active as I used to be, though.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:27 pm

Welcome back!
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:14 pm

Welcome back.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:33 pm

Welcome back!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:17 pm

@Jornopelanthas: Welcome back!

View Original PostAve Omnissiah wrote:I first stumbled on the Wiki while working on a project involving running modeling and analysis of fictional employment of real-world systems, which I decided to apply to Evangelion in part due to the detailed portrayal of recognizable defense assets. Once I got started, I decided to share the fruits of my labor with the community that had made it so much easier, so look forward to that in the coming weeks!

Wow, this sounds incredibly interesting.

Also, I guess I never posted in this thread when I joined on July 28, 2007, but it looks like I've been here a full 15 years now!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ToxicToucan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ToxicToucan » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 am

Hey, new here. Excited to join a community so deeply interested in the show, the wiki has always been a valuable resource to me and I thought it would be awesome to actually join you all.

Thorion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Thorion » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm

Hello, I am Thorion, a recent Evangelion fan, long time fan-fiction writer, writer in general, currently working on a fic in the form of a play. I am a fan of many things, my favourite actor and director is Kenneth Branagh, though my favourite film is the 1994 film adaptation of "Black Beauty", I am well read, one of my favourite books being "Tarzan of the Apes", I enjoy theater, being a frequent patron at Ontario's Straftford Festival, I am gamer, I enjoy graphic novels and audio books, am always interested in some great mystery, I have heterochromia, something I frequently write into my protagonists in relation to my non-fan fic stories, and aspergers, something which I have never incorporated though I probably should.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:47 pm

Hi, welcome to both!

I have a sort of sectoral heterochromia. My eyes are light brown (predominant) and a bit of green (this color was inherited from my mother), which makes my eyes have a similar color to amber. My friends constant says to me I have "yellow eyes" or "cat eyes" -o-;
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Parkagirl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Parkagirl » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 am

Hi, my name is Sarah (she/her) and I'm new, both here and to Evangelion in general.

I am still watching through the TV series -- in fact I'm not particularly far in yet -- but I love it so far.

I think one of the main reasons I got into it was this budding obsession with hand-drawn animation and illustration. I recently watched a documentary on Youtube about Studio Khara and the Japan Animator Expo, and while I couldn't understand a word of it (I know zero Japanese), watching the animators at work was really awe-inspiring.

Right now I find myself very confused in reading about the seemingly endless subtle differences in English dubs over the years, etc. I am very obsessive about this kind of thing, as evidenced by the fact that I've already spent way more time 'researching' stuff like this than actually watching the show even once all the way through...

But something about the obsessing is fun for me, too. So I'm excited to be here, amongst other members who would care about something like a single word of dialogue being dubbed differently in one version compared to another, and who would need to know why, etc. etc. (just for example).

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:08 pm

I intended to make a proper return a year ago. Got distracted. Hopefully I'll stay longer this time lol. I've got a good job now, have a gf, and I'm out as being nonbinary, so I'm a lot happier and more mentally stable now. Been working on my creative pursuits on the side as well, and I'm making decentish progress I think.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:11 pm

Welcome, Parkagirl. And welcome back, TehDonutKing. ^_^
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:38 am

Welcome, Parkagirl!
Welcome back, TehDonutKing!

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:53 pm

Good to see you back, Donut! :kampai:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:12 pm

Welcome to all the n00bs :rei_happy:

bloopymicrowave
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bloopymicrowave » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:27 pm

Hey!
Quite literally just joined for the hell of it, decided "I love Eva, tempted to begin collecting merch". This lead me to here.
I watched Eva last year and it very quickly became my favorite piece of media, period. I do currently collect games, you can find me on vgforum with the name of just "bloopy".
Hopefully I don't annoy anyone, although thats likely unavoidable.

Asuka is my favorite character because I can relate to a lot of her struggles.. Wish I couldn't, though.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:26 am

View Original Postbloopymicrowave wrote:Hey!
Quite literally just joined for the hell of it, decided "I love Eva, tempted to begin collecting merch". This lead me to here.
I watched Eva last year and it very quickly became my favorite piece of media, period. I do currently collect games, you can find me on vgforum with the name of just "bloopy".
Hopefully I don't annoy anyone, although thats likely unavoidable.

Asuka is my favorite character because I can relate to a lot of her struggles.. Wish I couldn't, though.

Hey there, Asuka is my favorite character too! If you are looking for good places to find merchandise I recommend actually importing from Japan right now because of how weak the yen is! I've recently made some orders from both Mandarake and AmiAmi because of this.

I recently bought these two and they're probably the best Eva Unit posable toys I've ever had!

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-125299
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-125298

If you've never used Mandarake either it's a fun store from Japan that can have lots of neat odds and ends. I got an Evangelion Ice Cube tray and Asuka chop sticks there! Be careful to check the descriptions for info though since they sell new and used stuff, including some damaged stuff at a big discount.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:15 pm

Welcome, bloopymicrowave!

CrazySquid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CrazySquid » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:02 pm

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you!
I just finished watching NGE, and EoE. I liked the show and I will continue to explore it on my own, and maybe searching and asking here questions regarding the Eva universe.
I may not be that active since I'm not watching a lot of series and I focues mostly in other stuff, but maybe you will see me here from time to time.
Right now I'm interested in the game Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ayanami Raising Project.
Does anyone know the exact state of the translation of the game? As far as I know it is Google Translated, but only the DS version? I was looking to play the PC version with an english patch, but I'm not sure if this exists.
I have the game but it's all in Japanese, and since it's pretty old I did not manage to get it to run, but I believe that a Virtual Machine should be enough. Thanks!

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:11 pm

View Original PostCrazySquid wrote:Right now I'm interested in the game Neon Genesis Evangelion: Ayanami Raising Project.
Does anyone know the exact state of the translation of the game? As far as I know it is Google Translated, but only the DS version? I was looking to play the PC version with an english patch, but I'm not sure if this exists.

Hello! And welcome to the forums!

We’re here to answer to your questions EVA related.

As to your question about the translation to game, I’m not sure if there’s any that I’m aware of, but I’m pretty sure some others here do.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”