Best subtitles for Evangelion TV series?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:59 pm

That's from the ADV Platinum subs
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:01 pm

As far as I know the Platinum subs are the ones thought to be the most accurate. These various transitions might have been listed prior to ADV’s Platinum release.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:03 am

I've actually preferred whatever the other subs were before Platinum for their better flow. Especially the "dubtitling" of the theme song. Oh how I miss that. Actually, I've been looking for scripts of those subtitles for use in a fanfic, because I think they flow much better than the almost Engrishy Platinum editions.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Probably a combination of the more fluent-sounding Collection subtitles with the technical corrections implemented in Platinum would be best.

Mjolnir Mark IV
Adam

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Mjolnir Mark IV » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:11 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Probably a combination of the more fluent-sounding Collection subtitles with the technical corrections implemented in Platinum would be best.

I sort of did that. What I did was take the VHS version for the same reason you mentioned the Perfect Collection, and then used the Perfect Collection and Platinum Edition to fill in the gaps when I spotted a translation error.

You can check it out here.
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Digitally Re-Created VHS Subtitles
The End of Evangelion: Fansub Amalgamation
Evangelion fan since 1996. Former Eva Mailing List member (late '90s).

rainbowbattlekid
Embryo

Re: Best subtitles for Evangelion TV series?

•      
  •      

Postby rainbowbattlekid » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi all!

So, it's been a while since I got these, so I am not sure which versions I have.The video files I have, I don't prefer the subtitles

I have external srt files that, based on this:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_01_Cut_108

are the ADV Collection 0:1 subtitles

This would be fine except, the subtitles occasionally kinda skip which makes me think the timing isn't correct to the video files I have? (she says the "cold fish" line in mine, which isn't listed here ^

Is there a version of my preferred subs that would fit this video, OR a video file that will fit my subs? I know about that VHS Subs project, and it seems really rad, but I think I gotta hold out for a similar version with better video quality.

I guess worst case scenario I just deal with the "cold fish" subs (is this PLatinum?), which isn't awful. Just didnt like those AS much.

Thanks for any help!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:25 am

View Original Postrainbowbattlekid wrote:Thanks for any help!

Sorry for the late response. I'm actually in the process of ripping subs from the GKIDS/AL Blu-ray releases, so those should be pretty much completed within a few weeks.

There's gonna be a lot of nitpicking about certain aspects of any English translation of Eva, more so than what I've heard from any other anime community. For ADV's Platinum subs, the main criticism is that the dialogue sounds slightly more academically phrased in general. It's almost to the point where some viewers spend half of the time thinking, "Nobody talks like that!" For the GKIDS/AL translation, many criticisms of the translation come from fans just being used to the choices made in the ADV version. There is one point in the GKIDS/AL translation for Episode 20 where the translator tries to cover over a continuity error within the show itself in a way that isn't even recognized in the Japanese version. That's the biggest criticism as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the complaints surrounding that are the general nitpicks and preference ordeals that you see anytime a translation changes with any other popular anime.

For my money, the GKIDS translation is where actually the best one. Despite the one overt example of creative liberties being taken in Episode 20, the majority of the translation is more thematically aware of itself than the ADV translation is, so certain phrasing will be maintained throughout the show in order to highlight the overarching message of the show. It also just sounds/reads more natural than the ADV version as well. Plus, the translators actually bothered to translate instances where background dialogue and communications are heard in the surround sound mix. (The ADV audio commentaries would discuss those things, but never provide the translations for the audience.) It's really good because the show will actually use the dialogue from a TV or radio show in the background to also highlight certain themes or character beats in the show, so it's really helpful to have those translated and available for the general public.

Hope this helps!

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:01 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original Postrainbowbattlekid#935898 wrote:Thanks for any help!

Sorry for the late response. I'm actually in the process of ripping subs from the GKIDS/AL Blu-ray releases, so those should be pretty much completed within a few weeks.

There's gonna be a lot of nitpicking about certain aspects of any English translation of Eva, more so than what I've heard from any other anime community. For ADV's Platinum subs, the main criticism is that the dialogue sounds slightly more academically phrased in general. It's almost to the point where some viewers spend half of the time thinking, "Nobody talks like that!" For the GKIDS/AL translation, many criticisms of the translation come from fans just being used to the choices made in the ADV version. There is one point in the GKIDS/AL translation for Episode 20 where the translator tries to cover over a continuity error within the show itself in a way that isn't even recognized in the Japanese version. That's the biggest criticism as far as I'm concerned. The rest of the complaints surrounding that are the general nitpicks and preference ordeals that you see anytime a translation changes with any other popular anime.

For my money, the GKIDS translation is where actually the best one. Despite the one overt example of creative liberties being taken in Episode 20, the majority of the translation is more thematically aware of itself than the ADV translation is, so certain phrasing will be maintained throughout the show in order to highlight the overarching message of the show. It also just sounds/reads more natural than the ADV version as well. Plus, the translators actually bothered to translate instances where background dialogue and communications are heard in the surround sound mix. (The ADV audio commentaries would discuss those things, but never provide the translations for the audience.) It's really good because the show will actually use the dialogue from a TV or radio show in the background to also highlight certain themes or character beats in the show, so it's really helpful to have those translated and available for the general public.

Hope this helps!

I agree with this, the khara/Netflix/GKIDS/Anime Ltd. translation is my preferred translation.
And I say this as someone who grew up with the Platinum Edition DVDs. And I had the Manga DVDs of the movies but I always thought the translations there were subpar and that Netflix had much better translations, even at the cost of some iconic lines.
But in my interpretation, the GKIDS subtitles are the closest to the original Japanese intentions while the classic subtitles from ADV/Manga are more like an adaptation for Western audiences. The same goes for the dubs.

I prefer the acting in the ADV dubs, mostly out of nostalgia, but the GKIDS subtitles are much better, especially for the movies. And even the Netflix/VSI dub has some pluses on it compared to the ADV/Manga dubs.
If VSI and khara got the original voice cast back, I would prefer the Netflix dub by a mile.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:03 pm

If you want a more literally accurate translation, then go with GKIDS (though try to find a version with the soundtrack restored), although the originally aired episodes 21 through 24 lack a GKIDS translation because the recent Blu-Ray release is a fucking joke. Main problem with GKIDS subs is that they come off as really awkward and unnatural. ADV's Platinum subs sound more like actual things people would say. I usually watch Platinum, but it doesn't hurt to cross reference both or go with GKIDS.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

WDS
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby WDS » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:19 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:There is one point in the GKIDS/AL translation for Episode 20 where the translator tries to cover over a continuity error ...

Despite the one overt example of creative liberties being taken in Episode 20

What continuity error? What creative liberties?

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 am

View Original PostWDS wrote:What continuity error? What creative liberties?

When Shinji fought Zeruel he was in his school uniform. Once Shinji becomes LCL afterwards there's a shot of Shinji's plugsuit floating in the LCL. There's a sub that says something like "His psyche is manifesting as a pilot." To explain why it isn't his school clothing floating in the LCL.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”