Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Italyzpizza
Adam

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:52 pm

View Original Post2Lacissal2 wrote:The Amazon UK one's will be the same as the releases of 1.0 and 2.0 mentioned on the previous page that HMV had listed back in May for June 18th.

That could just be a placeholder cover, for all we know. Knowing Khara, they'd likely tell Madman to use the Amazon dub. If the UK gets the Funimation dub, and the US got Amazon, it'd be like how Funimation kept dubbing DBZ when they took over in the US, while the UK and others got the original Ocean actors returning.

How ironic that would be; the UK, which originally didn't get Funimation's DBZ dub as the standard back then, now has Funimation's Eva dubs as their standard for the first two movies.

No, but seriously, with technology as well advanced as it is today, I really doubt we'd be going back to region-specific dubs. But forgive me if I missed something here. ^^;

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 am

Really hope Gkids gets the chance to correct some stuff on the dub. The dub still uses the Japanese voices for most grunts/screams, despite the actors saying they recorded all of them. And while Asuka's missing scream late in the film was fixed, Fuyutsuki's repeated line is still there and they introduced a new error where the wrong take is used so now Tohji introduces himself as "Suzuhara Tohji" instead of "Tohji Suzuhara", despite all other names being in western order.

Joe Fira really messed up a lot of stuff on his dub, in large part due to his own refusal to adapt to animation dubbing standards over live action (made worse by him admitting that he knew he wasn't doing it how it was supposed to be done). Hopefully Gkids can get the chance to fix these things, or I imagine if someone brings it up to Kanemitsu he could see about making sure it's corrected since this is in large part his own dub too.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:38 am

View Original PostMistaL wrote:Really hope Gkids gets the chance to correct some stuff on the dub. The dub still uses the Japanese voices for most grunts/screams, despite the actors saying they recorded all of them. And while Asuka's missing scream late in the film was fixed, Fuyutsuki's repeated line is still there and they introduced a new error where the wrong take is used so now Tohji introduces himself as "Suzuhara Tohji" instead of "Tohji Suzuhara", despite all other names being in western order.

Joe Fira really messed up a lot of stuff on his dub, in large part due to his own refusal to adapt to animation dubbing standards over live action (made worse by him admitting that he knew he wasn't doing it how it was supposed to be done). Hopefully Gkids can get the chance to fix these things, or I imagine if someone brings it up to Kanemitsu he could see about making sure it's corrected since this is in large part his own dub too.

It's such a mess, I don't think even the Netflix dub had that kind of pitfall (unless I'm wrong?)

Beyond that, I REALLY hope Gkids has editions with the Funimation dub included. The first two movies in particular were the most botched of the Amazon dubs, especially as far as 2.0 is concerned.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:01 am

Considering there was a release that contained both dubs for NGE, they're probably trying to do it for Rebuild as well.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:25 pm

Hong Kong was the first location outside Japan to announce they were giving Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 - Thrice Upon A Time a theatrical run and they're the first location to officially date the film: August 18th.

NeoFilms is going to release all four Rebuilds in Hong Kong theaters in 2D, 4DX and MX4D versions.

1.11 You Are (Not) Alone on July 28.
2.22 You Can (Not) Advance on Aug 4.
3.33 You Can (Not) Redo on Aug 11.
And 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon A Time on Aug 18th.

Pretty fucking sweet. Google translate says the four films will be in theaters "simultaneously" & if that's true that means some lucky Evangelion fan in Hong Kong could spend a day seeing all four Rebuilds on giant screens in a movie theater as they were meant to be seen. That's my dream....

Also of note, movies in Hong Kong release on Thursday - I don't know if these are evening screenings and then the release date is really Friday like here in the US but maybe someone else knows - but Aug 18th is the very first Thursday after the 13th. August 13, 2021 is the day Thrice Upon A Time began streaming globally on Amazon Prime. Soooo Hong Kong releasing the film as early after the 13th as they could makes me believe Prime's exclusivity contract on Thrice Upon A Time was exactly one year.

So after August 18th if the film is going to be in theaters in a country everything is up to the local distributors decisions.
GKids said 3.0+1.01 was going to run theatrically in the US in "late 2022" and while that makes me think "October through December" it could be earlier. Certainly won't be shocked if some other countries give the movie a run starting in August as well.

Annnnd after Aug 18th with that exclusivity contract over Khara could finally put out that dang physical disc release of the movie!

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 pm

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Considering there was a release that contained both dubs for NGE, they're probably trying to do it for Rebuild as well.

Shame that 3.0+1.0 will be the only one that'll have only one English dub, though, assuming the NF cast isn't brought back...

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:18 am

While it's not an explicit confirmation, when asked a couple of days ago about if they're going to release Shin Eva on Blu-ray, Anime Limited's response was simply the "eyes" emoji. Compared to their responses to other license questions ("we have no news to share at this time" etc.), I think it's safe to say that's a "yes". (Might have been a foregone conclusion since they did release NGE on BD in the UK and were credited on Shin Eva, but it's nice to have even an implied confirmation. And, if I may speculate a bit, AL having the license likely means there could be a similar boxset for NTE as there was for NGE, with Gkids and Madman probably being in on the project once again as well.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:33 pm

GKids is at Anime Expo so they may provide further information soon but they do have a giant wall poster that says the movie is Coming to Theaters WINTER 2022.

So the GKids theatrical run is probably being planned for very late in the year.

GKids has a panel at Anime Expo on Sunday at 2:30pm PDT. While I bet it will mostly be related to their company as a business and most info on new projects will be those just around the corner like The Deer King & Inu-Oh I can't imagine they won't share some major Eva related news.

https://www.anime-expo.org/2022/06/13/gkids-industry-panel/

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:55 am

View Original PostErufailon4 wrote:While it's not an explicit confirmation, when asked a couple of days ago about if they're going to release Shin Eva on Blu-ray, Anime Limited's response was simply the "eyes" emoji. Compared to their responses to other license questions ("we have no news to share at this time" etc.), I think it's safe to say that's a "yes". (Might have been a foregone conclusion since they did release NGE on BD in the UK and were credited on Shin Eva, but it's nice to have even an implied confirmation. And, if I may speculate a bit, AL having the license likely means there could be a similar boxset for NTE as there was for NGE, with Gkids and Madman probably being in on the project once again as well.)

Honestly I think it kinda sucks that AL are stuck with what the American release gets, I assume it's heavily judged by a Japanese influence too. I liked the NGE box, but the things like the paperweight and a lanyard were like...what? Rather certain if left to make their own box, they would have made something even better for NGE going by their track record with Ultimate Editions (See Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop). But yeah, they're definitely the UK company to distribute 3.0+1.0, and hopefully 1.11 (again), 2.22 and 3.333.

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:Honestly I think it kinda sucks that AL are stuck with what the American release gets, I assume it's heavily judged by a Japanese influence too. I liked the NGE box, but the things like the paperweight and a lanyard were like...what? Rather certain if left to make their own box, they would have made something even better for NGE going by their track record with Ultimate Editions (See Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop). But yeah, they're definitely the UK company to distribute 3.0+1.0, and hopefully 1.11 (again), 2.22 and 3.333.

To my understanding AL was the one in charge of the NGE box set project, though? At least in the photos of the UE booklet that I've seen, their CEO is credited as project manager, and the designer is a person who is also credited on various other AL sets. So it doesn't look like Gkids is to blame for the questionable design choices here. Khara probably had some influence, but how much exactly I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:37 pm

A subtitle editor for MediaOCD live-tweeted the GKids presentation at Anime Expo.

Seems like it was mostly about their history as a business and primarily was on their new and upcoming releases.
They played a trailer for Evangelion 3.0+1.0, said the film is set for a WINTER 2022 release and a home release - bluray, etc - will follow soon after.

Most interesting tweet:
At the moment GKids says they don't have the rights to the first three Rebuilds.
I'm still 100% certain they'll acquire them cause having the entire Evangelion library under one roof is too much of a sexy idea - The Ultimate ULTIMATE Complete Evangelion Collection Boxset? lol - but it's smart business not to announce anything before everything is finalized.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:55 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-07-17/two-evangelion-films-released-on-blu-ray-on-monday/.187733

ANN posted a very short article about the 1.0 and 2.0 releases and it just looks like they're re-issues rather than any kind of new edition.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:59 pm

The releases keep on coming.

I've never heard of Konnichiwa Festival but they appear to be a distributor of anime and not a film festival and they've scheduled Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 - Thrice Upon A Time has been set for a theatrical release in Mexico and other Latin American countries starting September 29.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:11 pm

I'm definitely going if it opens near me.
I hope it can make some money despite widely having been seen.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:27 pm

Selecta Visión brings Shin Eva to Spanish cinemas this autumn, plus physical release confirmed. No exact dates yet.

https://areajugones.sport.es/anime/evangelion-3-0-1-0-llegara-a-los-cines-de-espana-este-mismo-ano/

Their track record with physical media is...uh... Their 3.33 BD was terrible. Low bitrate, visual noise, etc.

But they can't f up the cinema release right? Unfortunately my vacation in Spain will probably be over by the time it comes out.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:48 am

I'm still wondering if they're going to just release 3 + 1 or a box set. I suppose they could do both but I want some news already darn it.

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:49 am

Any estimations on the exact U.S release date? I do hope that the it is before December 15th, cuz I will be gone from the U.S by then.
FUS roh Duh.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:01 am

Probably not great chances, I'm afraid. I'm no expert on bluray releases, but generally speaking, the exact dates are announced a couple months in advance, so in absence of that announcement I'm expecting spring or summer 2023
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Probably not great chances, I'm afraid. I'm no expert on bluray releases, but generally speaking, the exact dates are announced a couple months in advance, so in absence of that announcement I'm expecting spring or summer 2023

Oh I meant theatrical, not bluray
FUS roh Duh.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:48 pm

Was kinda hoping GKids would take advantage of August, September & the first half of October being so slow this year - the studios have had to delay their movies because of VFX work & because some are strictly keeping their projects on their streaming services - to get Evangelion 3.0+1.0 a juicy theater release. Maybe even sneak in a few screenings of the movie on those juicy IMAX screens that were lightly booked these last few months but won't be once AVATAR re-releases at the end of September - after that IMAX screens are booked by major releases all the way through to 2023 buuuut it doesn't look like that's the case. Right now GKids is focused on a movie called Goodbye, Don Glees! that's getting a 3-day theatrical run in September.

I'm hoping for October or November myself because I'll be visiting family over the holidays and their small town has one small theater that likely doesn't get releases like this.

But....

GKids marketing at AnimeExpo did say Eva was going theatrical WINTER 2022 and since Winter officially starts December 21st there's a good chance they're thinking of having the final film play at theaters over the Christmas holidays. Which for me would be very :(

PS. Still hoping Shin Ultraman gets here in the US soon. Again, Aug or Sept would've been the perfect time but noooooo

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”