Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shin Evangelion - Official Blu-ray Release Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 31, 2022 10:03 pm

There's an announcement about EVANGELION: 3.0+1.0 coming to South Korea. Both the Facebook page announcement and the tweet are vague on if this is theatrical or disc buuuuut I'm leaning towards theatrical since no disc release can happen before the Japanese one.

This is the second announcement after the Hong Kong one a few weeks ago so I'm gonna think positively and anticipate more theatrical runs of some sort in other countries. I live in a major city in the US so if the US got any kind of theatrical run I'd likely be able to see it and I would loooooooooove to get a chance just once to see THRICE UPON A TIME in a theater!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:56 am

SURPRISE, MOTHERF*CKER.

Looks like Silver wins!
View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:My money is on a mid/late 2022 release as to not collide with the series and EOE blu rays that are coming out in (Possibly Dec in the UK) Jan for the rest of the US/UK.

penguintruth
Lilith

Re: Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:17 am

I wonder if they're going to redub the movie first. Or at the very least clean up some of the mistakes of the existing dub.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:35 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I wonder if they're going to redub the movie first. Or at the very least clean up some of the mistakes of the existing dub.

I believe some of the mistakes have already been cleaned up, like Asuka screaming in Japanese and Fuyutsuki repeating a line. Doubt they'll do a full redub.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:47 pm

Exciting news!

Lots of the comments to GKids announcement are people freaking out that they didn't say they have the rights to Rebuilds 1 - 3 (and some are even people arguing "Those are already out by Funimation" lol) but it's safe to say GKids has the US rights to the entire Evangelion franchise. There's no way they'd be okay with a large three-film gap in the library. They'll announce those when they can/want to.

And a commitment to a 2022 theatrical run is EXCITING! I hope it's a more substantial release than a one or two night showing but beggars can't be choosers. Also think it would be incredible if they gave some kind of theatrical showing to the previous three leading up to 3.0+1.0 - those could be one or two night showings - but same logic applies. I'm just happy this is happening!

The Amazon Prime exclusivity deal must have likely been around a one year deal so in mid-August is when it's up and Khara could get a Japanese release out before the end of the year.

So a late Oct-Dec 2022 theatrical run in the US and maybe a singular and boxset in early 2023?

It's exciting to think finally I'll have all of Eva on physical media! It's been so long.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:02 pm

My question is how has the Japanese Blu-ray not been announced yet?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:12 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:My question is how has the Japanese Blu-ray not been announced yet?

Gotta be that Amazon Prime deal I imagine.

With Covid having majorly complicating the whole theatrical market these last couple of years Khara must have so wanted to get the film out to the rest of the world that when they made their deal with Prime to stream it worldwide that contract must have stipulated that no theatrical or physical media release of any kind worldwide. Since the film also started streaming on Japan the same day as the rest of the world I imagine Japan was included.

With all these recent theatrical announcements happening I have to imagine the Amazon Prime exclusivity contract lasted a year cause and after August 13 things should start happening. That includes a Japanese disc release.

Honestly, I was worried Amazon Prime might have had worked out a more common 2 YEAR Exclusivity deal on the Rebuilds and none of these developments would've started happening until this time next year so I'm very happy!

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:19 pm

Yeah, the delay is obviously due to the Amazon deal, though it is surprising these announcements are happening before the announcement of the Japanese release. I still have to imagine their home video release will be sometime this fall or winter while we're getting the theatrical run, then we'll get our home video release next year.

While not certain, it's likely 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 are still licensed by FUNi/Crunchyroll which is why the press release only covers 3.0+1.0. I'm sure GKids will do the same with the previous films when they're available. I'm assuming this will include the Amazon dub, though the Italian release being redubbed suggests that might not be the case. The English releases were some of the only blu-rays to include the Netflix produced dubs though, so even if there's a similar situation of the Amazon dubs being too expensive to license as the Netflix dubs were for other countries, GKids shouldn't have a problem getting the Amazon dubs. The big question marks would be if they'd decide to give them dubs to match the Netflix dub on their standard edition set of the original and when they get around to the first three films if they'll be allowed to also include the FUNimation dubs. I have no idea on either, since that would require more money on their end for the former and Khara's issues with FUNi could result in permission for the latter not being granted. If it's at least the Amazon dub I'll be happy, since cast wise I have very few problems with the Amazon dubs. There are some problems I have with the script and a little with the direction on 1.0, but those aren't going to be easily fixed if the solution is a complete redub by another company. Still, for those hoping for a VSI dub I can at least hope you get that.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:05 am

Just said the same thing for Ultraman in its topic, but hope this means it's coming to Spain or Germany too (in theaters I mean).

For the bluray they didn't indicate any date right? I think they just mean they have the rights and will eventually release the BD. The Japanese one has to come before it right? Cause it'll be 3.+1.11 or something similar most likely. It'd be bizarre for the US to get a 3.0+1.01 release without (khara-produced) bonus features and such.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:19 am

kuribo-04 wrote:For the bluray they didn't indicate any date right?

No date yet. Just a theatrical release at some point in late 2022 and a disc release will follow that at some point. No date provided.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:29 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:I'm assuming this will include the Amazon dub, though the Italian release being redubbed suggests that might not be the case. The English releases were some of the only blu-rays to include the Netflix produced dubs though, so even if there's a similar situation of the Amazon dubs being too expensive to license as the Netflix dubs were for other countries, GKids shouldn't have a problem getting the Amazon dubs. The big question marks would be if they'd decide to give them dubs to match the Netflix dub on their standard edition set of the original and when they get around to the first three films if they'll be allowed to also include the FUNimation dubs. I have no idea on either, since that would require more money on their end for the former and Khara's issues with FUNi could result in permission for the latter not being granted. If it's at least the Amazon dub I'll be happy, since cast wise I have very few problems with the Amazon dubs. There are some problems I have with the script and a little with the direction on 1.0, but those aren't going to be easily fixed if the solution is a complete redub by another company. Still, for those hoping for a VSI dub I can at least hope you get that.

Well, for each language, it'd likely be on a case-by-case basis. What I'm presuming is that for English, we'll still get the Amazon dubs.

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:31 am

View Original PostFullMetalBiscuit wrote:I believe some of the mistakes have already been cleaned up, like Asuka screaming in Japanese and Fuyutsuki repeating a line. Doubt they'll do a full redub.

Where'd ya get those news from?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:21 am

I don’t remember any News stories on the issue, but I think you can still look back at old Twitter posts or Facebook messages directed towards the voice cast regarding the issue, and everyone being all confused as to how that happened.

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:While not certain, it's likely 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 are still licensed by FUNi/Crunchyroll which is why the press release only covers 3.0+1.0. I'm sure GKids will do the same with the previous films when they're available.

The amount of uncertainty around the Funimation releases is through the roof. Funimation only has Eva Q listed on its site and even then it is listed as “out of stock.” If they truly didn’t have the license for the property anymore then I would assume that they couldn’t advertise it on their website at all. The listings for the first or second movies are completely absent, outside of a few trailers posted on their official website.

Now, I have seen North American brick-and-mortar retail stores, such as FYE, still selling new(? not used) copies of all Funimation’s Eva release. I don’t know if it’s new old stock for an out-of-print release, or if certain stores are still able to get new copies directly from the distributor. Either way, the property is very much in a state of limbo outside of the GKIDS announcement.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:03 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:Still, for those hoping for a VSI dub I can at least hope you get that.

It would be nice (I’d love to hear Casey Mongillo take on some Rebuild scenes), but I’m not holding my breath. The Rebuild dubs are at least tolerable as they are, even the Dubbing Brothers ones (less so than Funimation’s, though). The Japanese version is still there, too.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:33 pm

The next 12 months are a good time to be a Hideaki Anno fan in the US.

1. GKids has their release of Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water set for August 2nd.
2. Shin Ultraman starts screening at film festivals next month and will get some kind've release - hopefully theatrical included - later.
3. GKids theatrical run of Evangelion: 3.0+1.0- Thrice Upon A Time happens before the end of 2022.
4. Discotek releases Gunbuster on Blu-ray before the end of 2022.
5. GKids probably releases 3.0+1.0 on disc in first half of 2023 & hopefully new discs for the first three Rebuilds as well.
6. If plans work, the distributors of Shin Kamen Rider have repeatedly said the film is set for a "simultaneous global release" in March 2023.

Did I miss anything?

Good times!

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:48 pm

I hope the UK gets a theatrical release too.

I'm mostly anticipating the DVD / Blu-ray release in hopes that the extra content might give us a taste of some of the scenes they scrapped (like they did with 2.22).

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:34 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:SURPRISE, MOTHERF*CKER.

:siren: :asuka_happy: :siren:

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:27 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The amount of uncertainty around the Funimation releases is through the roof. Funimation only has Eva Q listed on its site and even then it is listed as “out of stock.” If they truly didn’t have the license for the property anymore then I would assume that they couldn’t advertise it on their website at all. The listings for the first or second movies are completely absent, outside of a few trailers posted on their official website.

Interestingly Amazon UK has the Funi releases of 1.11 and 2.22 on pre-order right now for next month, so that must be some new stock.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:59 am

The Amazon UK one's will be the same as the releases of 1.0 and 2.0 mentioned on the previous page that HMV had listed back in May for June 18th.

I just hope that a) Thrice gets a DVD release as well, as personally it'd bother me having the others on DVD but not the last one

b) more importantly Rebuild gets a complete 4-film blu ray boxset of the latest versions (the sound levels on the UK Q DVD are abysmal...) , or at least they're reissued in a visually consistent set of covers, either the minimalist Red-Orange-Blue-White scheme (like I think the Italian blu rays are) or the poster art (characters on stairs for 1.0 and 2.0, Shinji and Kaworu sitting for Q and the beach poster for Thrice).

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”