How exactly was Eva released in the USA?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
BritKnee
Embryo

How exactly was Eva released in the USA?

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Fri May 20, 2022 8:06 pm

How did eva make it to the USA? Was it first on tape like the OVA's of the day or did ADV broadcast it somewhere? Also what was it like being an Eva fan in the west from 1996 to 1999 or so? Also how much were the original tapes?
Last edited by BritKnee on Sat May 21, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: How exactly was Eva released in the USA?

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 pm

ADV licensed Evangelon pretty quick and the first two episode were out on VHS in August 1996 and would continue though to 1998. A while back members of Evageeks discovered a tape containing, after some clarification/investigation from myself, a bootleg fansub of episode 1 using the JP VHS version (Feb 96) as its source.

In short, a peculiar quirk of Japan's release schedule and ADV's eagerness resulted in ADV getting On-Air versions of Eva TV to home release sooner than Japan, but the NPC/Director's Cut versions and the movies wouldn't make it to the west until 2002-2004.

To be blunt, I don't think there was much to be a fan of outside of an incomplete series, some niche mail-order bootlegging, and maybe some peer-to-peer internet piracy like Kazaa.

BritKnee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Sat May 21, 2022 5:15 am

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:To be blunt, I don't think there was much to be a fan of outside of an incomplete series, some niche mail-order bootlegging, and maybe some peer-to-peer internet piracy like Kazaa.

I don't know but to me (a younger person) it seems like anime fans in the west had a cute dynamic with each other. Since posting this I was checking out some Eva fan sites from 1998 and 99' and some of them make pretty strange mistakes and they reference one of the Japanese books a lot.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat May 21, 2022 7:55 am

The Red Cross Book was a pamphlet released with EoE that served as a glossary and was a bible for early 00s Eva fandom, yes.

BritKnee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby BritKnee » Sat May 21, 2022 9:25 am

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:The Red Cross Book was a pamphlet released with EoE that served as a glossary and was a bible for early 00s Eva fandom, yes.

Is that the one with Misato's apartment because I thought that was the book people were referencing.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue May 24, 2022 6:10 am

No, that sort of info would come in later proper guides. Usually you see an image from Evangelion Chronicle. It's on the wiki and e-hentai.

I'm not that old of a fan but I can generally say it was all funny and messy those days. Read this article: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/10/anime ... d-spoiled/

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”