Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Shin Eva - Official Blu-ray Release 2022!

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:33 pm

I love Eva but I sure ain't paying monthly for Prime just to have easy access to a single movie I want to watch. Please don't tell me Khara's deal with Amazon means they aren't going to at least release a Japanese Blu-ray. The fact that there has been this much silence when the movie came out at the beginning of the year is concerning to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got the movie dubbed and subbed within the same year, but I want to financially support Khara directly, not Bezos.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Sooooo....no Blu-ray release?

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Yeah I would have expected a Blu-Ray announcement at least 7 months since the release, but it can take a while. The film wasn't originally going to be on Amazon Prime in Japan so that makes me think it's not in Bezos jail. I really want to see it in 4K after seeing the quality of 3.333 though.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Maybe Anno and Khara is tinkering with a bit and adding some extra stuff and minor corrections or changes, similar to the 2.22 and 3.33 versions of 2.0 and 3.0, and that's why it's taking so long for the Blu-Ray to come out.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:29 pm

My money is on a mid/late 2022 release as to not collide with the series and EOE blu rays that are coming out in (Possibly Dec in the UK) Jan for the rest of the US/UK.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:(Possibly Dec in the UK)

Looks at BDs on shelf...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

KT7000
Embryo

Evangelion: 3.0+1.01 Thrice Upon a Time Eventual Blu-ray Release

•      
  •      

Postby KT7000 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:08 pm

Has anything been said about a Blu-ray release date for 3.0+1.01???

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Evangelion: 3.0+1.01Thrice Upon a Time Blu-ray Release

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:47 am

No release date at moment; neither in Japan nor in overseas.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

roblucci01
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby roblucci01 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:22 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:No release date at moment; neither in Japan nor in overseas.

Yeh, I am personally a little annoyed about how long it is taking for us to even get a general idea when a physical version will be available. I know the Amazon Prime release is out there, but still.
I hate the internet

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:33 am

I suspect that any of the additional minor animation work (cleanup, corrections, redrawings, etc.) have been put off due to more recent pandemic-related disruptions. Khara's involved with Shin Ultraman and needs to do the post-production on that badly delayed movie in the face of whatever new trouble Omicron has brought, and with Shin Eva already on Amazon Prime releasing the Blu-ray isn't as high a priority as it used to be.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:13 am

I was wondering that myself too. At this point we're almost a year removed from the release of Thrice Upon A Time and by this time all the previous Rebuilds had gotten released on home video.

My only educated guess from knowing a little bit about how streaming contracts work is when Khara worked out their deal with Amazon Prime to stream the film worldwide, Amazon must have requested/demanded an exclusivity window. A period of time - whether it's six months, nine months, a year, more - where the only LEGAL way to see Thrice Upon A Time outside of a Japanese theater is through Amazon Prime. And now Khara has to wait until that window is over to announce and date the DVD/Bluray/4K disc release. Hopefully it's a six month exclusivity window that started from the global streaming release date of Aug 13, 2021 because that would mean Khara could make an announcement sometime in the middle of this month (February).

*[i]You Can (Not) Advance took like 11 months from theatrical to disc so maybe we're not just at that point but Thrice will certainly have the widest gap from theatrical to home video release of the Rebuilds.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Shin Evangelion - Official Blu-ray Release Thread

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:41 pm

I merged a couple of threads to create this new one, the official Blu-ray release thread. From now on, let's use it to discuss all things home video related!
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

2Lacissal2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 2Lacissal2 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:59 am

As they announced the 'Shin Japan Heroes Universe' the other day as a collaboration between Godzilla, Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Eva I would expect Shin Eva's Blu Ray release to to be tied into that, Toho and Toei being involved in both, for maximum cross promotion, maybe with Shin Ultraman's release a few months away.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2022-02-14/hideaki-anno-shin-godzilla-evangelion-ultraman-kamen-rider-films-join-forces-on-events-merch/.182595

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Dynit has announced they have the home video and theatrical rights for the film. They also confirmed they will be redubbing it with the previous cast for the movies, but notes they'd like to bring back Stella Musi as Misato.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:06 pm

My personal wish is that they're tinkering with all four movies for a complete series 4k release. Maybe Anno revisited the time skip in either Q or Shin as he stated he wanted to and added pertinent information in either of those movies (specifically in regards to Kaworu and Kaji's relationship, which comes out of nowhere in Shin). Of course, if they release a 4k box set in Japan there's very little chance we'll get it in the States or in any territory with English subtitles or Dub (wouldn't stop me from importing though, as I have in the past).

Realistically, though, my guess is there is a one year exclusivity deal with Amazon before they can even announce the home media release. They seemed to have a similar deal that stopped them from even acknowledging that it would be released internationally via Amazon Prime until like 3 months from the Japanese theatrical release.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:13 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Of course, if they release a 4k box set in Japan there's very little chance we'll get it in the States or in any territory with English subtitles or Dub (wouldn't stop me from importing though, as I have in the past).

Why's that, is there a dearth of anime 4k releases in English territories? I suppose I'm only aware of Ghost in the Shell.

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Realistically, though, my guess is there is a one year exclusivity deal with Amazon before they can even announce the home media release.

That makes a lot of sense, and one imagines that it was seen as a trade-off given the unprecedented circumstance they were in regarding being able to get it seen in a viable enough way.
Après moi le déluge!

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:59 am

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:Of course, if they release a 4k box set in Japan there's very little chance we'll get it in the States or in any territory with English subtitles or Dub

I wouldn't be so sure. Both Gkids and Anime Limited (the US and UK publishers of the new OG series blu-rays) have done 4K releases of anime films previously - AL especially has been ramping up their 4K game lately and to my understanding they seem to have a close relationship with Khara. At the very least I expect those two to release either just Shin Eva or all Rebuilds on regular blu-ray.

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:09 pm

View Original PostErufailon4 wrote:I wouldn't be so sure. Both Gkids and Anime Limited (the US and UK publishers of the new OG series blu-rays) have done 4K releases of anime films previously - AL especially has been ramping up their 4K game lately and to my understanding they seem to have a close relationship with Khara. At the very least I expect those two to release either just Shin Eva or all Rebuilds on regular blu-ray.

I do hope you're right. I've been happy with Gkids and Anime Limited releases in the past.

Erufailon4
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:42 am

Interesting discovery: British retailer HMV has pre-order listings for 1.11 and 2.22 BDs and DVDs, with both having a release date of July 18. Their image for 2.22 shows the old cover art with Manga Entertainment and Funimation logos, so I think it's safe to assume that these are just restocks. But I thought Funimation's license to 1.11 and 2.22 has expired? I wonder what's going on here.

(Sorry if this is a wrong thread for this, I couldn't find any better one.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 pm

Not directly Blu-ray related but this summer all four Rebuilds will be getting a theatrical run in Hong Kong.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this will be the first official theatrical release for Thrice Upon A Time outside Japan. With any luck other countries will follow through on giving the Rebuilds some sort of theatrical run - maybe just a few screenings for some countries and full theatrical runs for others - and soon after that developments will happen towards home video releases.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Thu May 12, 2022 10:59 am

Praying for a US theatrical run. :misato_itadakimasu:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”