The Future of Evangelion Fanfiction (Split)

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: The Future of Evangelion Fanfiction (Split)

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:40 pm

I think that there’s still great potential for Evangelion fanfics, after all, the multiverse is a big place, with infinite possibilities. The only limit really is one’s imagination.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 am

True but like I said last page, AUs simply don't raise anywhere near as much interest as canon-derivatives that have already covered everything worth covering.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:15 pm

Tbh, I agree with what Natalie was saying earlier, in that it doesn’t really matter how many people like your fic.

I’m thinking about doing an AU, and if not very many people are interested in it, that’s perfectly alright, but I will still give it my all in the end, and I hope that at least some people will enjoy it.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am

I'm still working on the big epic, just focusing on other stuff right now.

I get that the most popular fics are canon-derivatives, but there's definitely exceptions to the rule. *Cough*

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Tue May 10, 2022 5:56 pm

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:True but like I said last page, AUs simply don't raise anywhere near as much interest as canon-derivatives that have already covered everything worth covering.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "AU" versus "canon-derivative". You could argue just about any fanfic that isn't just a rote novelization of Eva is already an AU. There is plenty of Evangelion fanfiction that still makes something new with changing character dynamics, or bringing in elements from other settings, and there is still an audience for those stories. Hell, on other forums my Ratatouille fic had the most reader engagement I'd had in three years or more.

I also know it can be disheartening when you get little to no engagement on a story, especially if it's one you put a lot of effort into, while your low-effort stories get a lot more traction (again, looking at my glorified shitpost of a Ratatouille fic getting more likes and comments per chapter than almost everything I've written for Shin Leviathan) but ultimately the only person you should care about pleasing with your story is yourself.

silentechy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby silentechy » Wed May 11, 2022 11:15 am

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:
View Original Postamitakartok#935018 wrote:True but like I said last page, AUs simply don't raise anywhere near as much interest as canon-derivatives that have already covered everything worth covering.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "AU" versus "canon-derivative". You could argue just about any fanfic that isn't just a rote novelization of Eva is already an AU. There is plenty of Evangelion fanfiction that still makes something new with changing character dynamics, or bringing in elements from other settings, and there is still an audience for those stories. Hell, on other forums my Ratatouille fic had the most reader engagement I'd had in three years or more.

I also know it can be disheartening when you get little to no engagement on a story, especially if it's one you put a lot of effort into, while your low-effort stories get a lot more traction (again, looking at my glorified shitpost of a Ratatouille fic getting more likes and comments per chapter than almost everything I've written for Shin Leviathan) but ultimately the only person you should care about pleasing with your story is yourself.

This. My fic is basically a derivative of Thuktun's work, with far worse writing. (I've not written narrative story since I left school, and I rarely read actual novels these days). It's also a rather obscure crossover with something most Western fans are unfamiliar with, unless the grew up in Asia or was lucky to watch the horrible 4kids dub of Tiga.

But the point of why I wrote it was to get the story off my head, and onto a page. Part of the joy of writing is to see what you have in your head unfold as a story. There are certain scenes I want to see depicted in my head, and in order to flesh it out I have to put those ideas down into words.

But if what I've wrote makes even one other person than me happy, then it's the cherry on the cake.

Return to “Fanfiction”