Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fahrenberg_39
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Be Localized

•      
  •      

Postby Fahrenberg_39 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:48 pm

does anybody have the 'new' posters displayed on https://www.evangelion.co.jp/ main page?

if so, please share them in high resolution please :tongue:

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:52 pm

No problem.

English poster  SPOILER: Show

Japanese poster  SPOILER: Show
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm

https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/14 ... 4703715339

Hideaki Anno + Hitoshi Matsumoto. This is truly the greatest timeline.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ProcopiousJones
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ProcopiousJones » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:31 am

I never expected this crossover to happen, but its Mastumoto and Anno together at last.

Can't wait for the part of the interview where some Japanese genin burst out, dressed up as Eva characters, and then perform a skit that makes both of them laugh.
What is Shin but just a bone in our bodies.

It might have broken a few times...

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:11 am

For anyone interested in that interview between Anno and Matsumoto, it has been officially released with English subtitles on Amazon Prime. It’s been titled as a fireside chat, but you can find it by searching Anno. I don’t know about other regions though.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:28 am

another interview plus some other stuff in portuguese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wH7huT3os

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:27 am

I am seething that fucking Collider was able to get facetime with Anno and the publication I write for was not (and not for lack of effort). We’re in good with GKIDS, but their PR guy has been mum on interview opportunities so I’m guessing that’s not an option for them. Did this just come about from Amazon holding a gun to Anno’s head?

Sincerely want to know who Khara’s publicist/press liaison is so I can hassle them. I have credentials, people!

btw, has anyone subtitled the video where Toshio Okada tears into the NHK Anno doc? I’d be very interested in getting the full story there.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:23 pm

gatotsu911 wrote:I am seething that fucking Collider was able to get facetime with Anno and the publication I write for was not (and not for lack of effort). We’re in good with GKIDS, but their PR guy has been mum on interview opportunities so I’m guessing that’s not an option for them. Did this just come about from Amazon holding a gun to Anno’s head?

Clickbait Collider getting an interview is extra frustrating when 2/3rds of their questions to Anno were just variations of "So, you gonna make more Evangelion? We need a good pull quote to run clickbait articles. What's that Anno? After being asked three times you said 'Maybe, sure, probably not, but you never know.' Great! That's all we need! Commence clickbait!"

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:07 pm

Yeah tell me about it. Wild times we live in when I’m confident IGN could’ve given a more insightful interview - not that Anno seems to be particularly eager about interviews generally.

I heard back from GKIDS and they are… officially in the air about future interview opps. I’ve interviewed Mamoru Hosoda and almost got Masaaki Yuasa through them before, so they’re definitely willing to play ball when it’s at all possible. I’m not holding my breath but I guess we’ll see??
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:26 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Clickbait Collider getting an interview is extra frustrating when 2/3rds of their questions to Anno were just variations of "So, you gonna make more Evangelion? We need a good pull quote to run clickbait articles. What's that Anno? After being asked three times you said 'Maybe, sure, probably not, but you never know.' Great! That's all we need! Commence clickbait!"

Come on, it could have been CBR aka ClickBaitResources. They've been releasing so many hot takes recently it's nauseauting. Incidentally, the author of a certain opinion piece on Rei on CBR also interviewed Anno for Collider. I recall they mentioned being on the waiting room for the interview and asking for suggestions. I really should have given some. Golden opportunity right there.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Yeah tell me about it. Wild times we live in when I’m confident IGN could’ve given a more insightful interview - not that Anno seems to be particularly eager about interviews generally.

He really is, though, him and other staff are extremely talkative. I can barely keep up. I' like to quote gwern: As I compile more material, I become increasingly convinced that far from Evangelion being a baffling mystery, it is in fact one of the most understandable anime out there, with a wealth of information about almost every detail, from the earliest planning meetings to how long particular episode productions took to the source of minor details like the “A-10 nerve”, and that Hideaki Anno, far from being a reticent auteur of mystery, has collectively been forthcoming about anything one might ask—to the point where multiple interviews could justly be described as “book-length”

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:another interview plus some other stuff in portuguese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wH7huT3os

Similarly, for whatever reason, this video was made private. It's strange, because Omelete (it means what you think it means...) is quite a mainstream outlet and Anno giving it an interview to a Brazilian site is quite amazing, and goes to show his apparently growing openness to the international fandom. I skimmed through it an hour after it was released, and could see some interesting comments on the difference between Shinji sees the world between NGE and NTE.

Besides the translator and host, this also included Fábio Lucindo, Shinji's VA since 1997. He was actually 15 at the time, much like Asuka's own VA was 14. The video had made quite a ruckus in a short amount of time and IIRC it had reached 30k ish view in a couple of hours before getting taken down. Alas, I didn't watch it seriously or took any notes. I should have downloaded it in time. But it's weird that it's been made private. I'm wondering if maybe Anno let some crucial detail escape and the Khara ninjas told them to take it off.

Anyway, I'm not sure this should go here, but in light of Anno's now rather famous remark on no longer identifying with Shinji, but rather Gend while making Shin and asking Ogata and Todorki for directions on how to develop the plot, I'd also like to bring attention to this 2009 interview I've just unearthed, right after Ha. The following is DeepL'd, though:

We naturally put ourselves in the shoes of the 14-year-old Shinji, who was cornered and repeatedly said, "You can't run away," but now, more than 10 years later, many fans may feel closer to Ryoji Kamochi and Misato Katsuragi, whom they admired.

Anno said, "Now I feel more for Misato, Kaji, and Ritsuko than I do for Shinji.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/evafan/archives/51227610.html - Tsurumaki Interview, July 2009 AERA Magazine. It's just one page long and not very detailed, and to be fair the interview doesn't make it clear when Anno said that, or if Tsurumaki is recounting it. Anno could have also said it elsewhere we don't know of at the time and the magazine is simply quoting that.

Either way, it's interesting how Anno directly atributes his "child" and "mature" phases to his work. If he considered himself not all that mature while making Ha, this might be reflected into this identification with the younger adults. So now he considers himself a producer rather than a director in his new talk with Matsumoto, as Oshii pointed out some months back. No matter what you think about Shin or NTE as a whole, I think we can all agree his projects to revitalize the industry like the AnimatorExpo are quite laudable and visionary.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:26 pm

I mean, I complain about Anno plenty but I still love the guy and think he’s a creative genius (a word I don’t use lightly), even if his best work is probably behind him. I don’t think Rebuild was ever really a necessary project (beyond, uh, necessary to pay the staff’s mortgage) but I’ve watched ‘em all multiple times over. All my film buddies who are lukewarm on Evangelion think Shin Godzilla was brilliant. Animator Expo was a great idea that produced some great work, and I hope Khara follows up on it to produce more animation targeted at adults (TV, theatrical, streaming, whatever) that isn’t constrained by market trends that have killed big-budget anime’s diversity in the last 15 years - regardless of whether or not Anno is personally involved.

Also, from my limited research it seems like all the instances where Anno really gets talkative are when he’s among peers in the animation industry, because that’s his comfort zone. He still comes off as extremely uncomfortable when doing facetime with fans and press, or when someone points a camera in his face. It’s a bit different.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:38 am

Perhaps that used to be true in the olden days, but he certainly seems more extroverted these days.

On that note, he is quite cute talking to Utada. I have just found a YT channel that apparently subtitled their entire Instagram stream together, the four vids total over 50 minutes. It doesn't seem there's a thread dedicated to it, so I'll paste it here, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2wuOze ... Fj9eBTwDKv

TsuyoiOuji
Embryo

Re: Shin Eva-Official Social Media: 3.33 You Can (Not) Stop The Hype

•      
  •      

Postby TsuyoiOuji » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:42 am

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#925463 wrote:Wait, that goes against the implication in Shin that Misato and maybe Kaji Sr were among those resurrected.

I think we need a more reliable translation, before we could conclude something about this. The translation machine doesn't mention anything about parents.

Of course, it's also possible Kensuke doesn't notice the hint that Misato could come back to life. After all, he wasn't part of that scene.

The Japanese text only says "in the future there might be a conversation between Kaji Jr. and Kensuke".
Need more context to understand what that conversation would be about. If anyone could provide it, or if there is even any to begin with.

Btw, I like this title. I hate sometimes how some things get lost in localization when they are not even particularly hard to translate effectively to English. Like the last talk between Misato and Shinji, in Shin. All subs I saw got it wrong...

TomsonPRD
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TomsonPRD » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:00 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:On that note, he is quite cute talking to Utada. I have just found a YT channel that apparently subtitled their entire Instagram stream together, the four vids total over 50 minutes. It doesn't seem there's a thread dedicated to it, so I'll paste it here, enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2wuOze ... Fj9eBTwDKv

Oh my, thank you so much for this, I've been trying to find a subbed version for days, you're a lifesaver :w00t:

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:45 pm

Up until the release of the final film I hadn't seen Anno smile or laugh much. And man does the guy's face light up when he laughs. He's visibly more chill in this interview then in any footage of him I've seen.

When Utada tells him her son likes Rei the best and has little dolls of her he couldn't be more chuffed :D
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:33 am

From Shiro Sagisu and Yoko Takahashi, a new single with... interesting lyrics: https://www.ro-jam.com/new.php

DeepL'd wrote:Celebrating the worldwide distribution of "Shin Evangelion the Movie" on Amazon Prime Video! To celebrate the worldwide distribution of "Shin Evangelion the Movie" on Amazon Prime Video, "Shiro Sagisu what if? Yoko Takahashi ver. normal edition" will be distributed!
In addition, some samples are now available on the official "Evangelion" app!

2021.08.16 Mon

In commemoration of the worldwide distribution of "Shin Evangelion the Movie" on Amazon Prime Video, "Shiro Sagisu what if? Takahashi Yoko ver.", a rearranged version of the song "what if?" sung by Yoko Takahashi during the climax scene of "Shin Eva", will be released! From August 31, "Shiro Sagisu what if? Normal Edition" will be available for subscription and download worldwide, and high-resolution download will also be available.
In addition, prior to the distribution on various music distribution sites, the official "Evangelion" app "EVA-EXTRA" has started to offer a partial preview of "Shiro Sagisu what if? Yoko Takahashi ver. normal edition", so please check it out!
In addition to the normal version, a premiere version with a special intro will be released at a later date!
Click here to listen to a sample of the song!

"Shiro Sagisu what if? Takahashi Yoko ver." Normal version and Premier version

Shirow Sagisu what if? Yoko Takahashi ver. Normal Edition" Jacket

Lyrics by Mike Wyzgowski
Composer:Shiro Sagisu
Arrangement: Shiro Sagisu

Lead vocal: Yoko Takahashi
Backing vocals: Gina Foster and Derek Green

Lyrics  SPOILER: Show
=CHORUS=
What if we just hadn't said goodbye?
Would your love now have been as good as mine?
Would I still think love is impossible to find?

I'm not one to live in the past
But memories come flooding back
When I think of you
It's hard for me to just deny
That you could have changed my life
There's still this mystery
That's hanging over me
looks like I'll never find out

=CHORUS=

Now you say your life has changed
And seeing you this time is strange
But I wonder how
We'd be second time around
But we'll never know cos
You've found a lover to
Do things I wish I could
And I'm left wondering why

=W CHORUS=

=MID 8=
I used to promise myself that everything I wished for
Would have the chance, of coming to me
But if you let it go
Maybe you'll never know,
That it may be the one thing that could change your life
There's still this mystery
That's hanging over me
looks like I'll never find out

=different ending to bridge=
I thought I'd lived my life with no regrets
Would never look back and yet
One thing I will never know

=W CHORUS=

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:45 pm

The WONDERFUL Evangelion video we made for Omelete had to be removed due to requests from the production company. Something totally outside of our control, but that we'll alter and reupload as soon as possible, trying to retain as much as what was said as possible

Very... particular wording, and she doesn't specify it it was Omelete or Khara themselves. I do wonder if maybe Anno let something slip. Of course, it was probably something copyright related. The video itself was about 35 minutes long, though I don't remember how much of it contained the interview.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:52 pm

Khara holding a Q&A section on the movie's anniversary:

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:29 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Khara holding a Q&A section on the movie's anniversary:

I don't know Japanese. I just can hope someone could ask how exactly the Third Impact started and its connection to the Near Third Impact.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed May 11, 2022 3:19 am

I guess this goes here.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”