Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Amazon Prime English Dub Cast

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:42 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:The same insider who claimed the film had already been dubbed in January in a bunch of languages (which appears to have been true, though we don’t TECHNICALLY know when these dubs were finished) also claimed that they were currently (at the time) working on re-dubbing the first three films. It’s been months since then so it’s likely they’ve finished or are close to wrapping up if it were true.

I did see a recent interview where Tiffany said she dubbed the final film in December, it's not known though when she dubbed the others or in what order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqbRIZGU5yY Reposting in case anyone missed it ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

GentlemanX
Adam

Re: Amazon Prime's English Dub (General)

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Here's an interview by The Cartoon Cipher with Joe Fria (director and voice of Hyuga). Highlights, spoilered for size.

SPOILER: Show
- Eva is Joe Fria's first foray into anime dubbing; Dubbing Bros. mostly dubs live action works.
- Dubbing Bros. was not allowed to adapt Kanemitsu's script for 3.0+1.01, they were allowed to adapt the scripts for 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 a bit.
- Neither Fria or Khara are 100% happy with how the dubs turned out, Fria mentions being disappointed with the "sync" due to not being allowed to adapt the script for lip flaps while he says certain things (not specified what) Kanemitsu and Khara wanted didn't end up happening.
- Kanemitsu preferred "Don't run away" due to it being a direct order Shinji is giving himself.
- Amazon originally only intended to dub 3.0+1.01 before deciding to redub the first three movies. Fria speculates (and says he's only speculating) that FUNimation holds the rights to their dubs for the the first three movies.
- Certain actors from the FUNimation dubs (not specified who) were not available to reprise their roles in the Amazon dubs due to the contracts they had with FUNimation.
- Due to dubbing the films remotely, the actors were unable to hear the music and effects track while recording (implication this isn't normally the case).
- A snowstorm in Texas caused issues with Allison Keith and John Swasey's remote recordings; Allison had no power for five days where they couldn't get a hold of her at all. Allison also had to work around her regular job as a real estate agent.
- Fria decided to bring back the old cast. Amazon was open to whatever Fria wanted to do, gave them the option to recast the series and Fria mentioned he likes the Netflix dub as well. Fria decided to bring back a much of the old cast as possible to please the fans.
- Fria and his production partner Veronica Valencia (credited as the Production Manager in the Amazon dubs) first approached as many members of the original ADV cast as they could and if an actor was unable to reprise they moved on to the next actor from Manga or FUNimation. Once Amanda Winn Lee was brought on, she helped get in touch with members of the Manga cast like Amy Steeley and Michael Ross.
- Fria doesn't audition roles unless it is requested by the client; this included the new actors for these dubs like Daman Mills or Mary Faber.
- Spike's time zone resulted in him recording later in the day than the rest. They also worked around his schedule being in culinary school and his new baby.
- Fria voiced Hyuga specifically to honor the tradition of the ADR person voicing him in the ADV, Manga, and FUNimation dubs.
- Mark Skibo (credited as Localization Quality Assurance in the Amazon dubs) worked for Amazon and acted as the liaison between Dubbing Bros. and Khara, often helping to make the case for changes Dubbing Bros. wanted.
- Every decision about the dub was ultimately ran through and approved by Kanemitsu.
- Leaving in the Japanese screams and grunts was not a mistake but an intentional choice made on most Dubbing Bros. productions. Fria mentions that he thinks a lot of those sounds tend to not come across authentic when dubbed.
- At least one of Mari's songs was left in Japanese because it's layered in the background and they (didn't specify if he means Dubbing Bros. or Amazon) didn't want to get the rights to the song to dub it.
- The loud scream of Asuka's that's missing during the "power of an angel" scene was not removed intentionally.

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:09 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:it's not known though when she dubbed the others or in what order.

Tiffany and Spike did an interview where they said the first 3 were done *after*, not before 3.0+1.0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03nzIBq01U at 10:10.
wait waht

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:18 pm

View Original PostFryMeTuhDehMuhn wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03nzIBq01U at 10:10.

Thanks for clarication ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm

Certain actors from the FUNimation dubs (not specified who) were not available to reprise their roles in the Amazon dubs due to the contracts they had with FUNimation.

So that would be Brina Palencia, Trina Nishimura and J. Michael Tatum.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:00 am

Maybe not necessarily for Brina; not because she wouldn't be under a Funimation contract, I expect she would be, but I don't think they'd have asked her to know that, because they went for Amanda Winn-Lee first (they said the went for ADV, then Funimation), and they likely never ended up asking Brina to reprise her role as a result.

I do wonder though, what is the exclusivity of the Amazon release? Is their dub like the Netflix dub where some companies won't be able to afford the rights to the dub for a home video release? If that's true, I do wonder if maybe in the event that Funimation were to get the home video rights to 3.0+1.0 that they would produce their own dub, with the cast they had used including Brina, Trina, and Michael.
wait waht

Italyzpizza
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:34 am

Wow... Fria definitely made the right choice bringing back the old cast.

And wow, how did I ignore the fact that Hyuga was voiced by all ADR directors?

Amazing stuff, GentlemanX.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:44 am

https://forums.animeuknews.net/threads/ ... 01/page-30

"The system we usually go through when we are doing a dub is we are given a translation and then we have a team of adapters that adapt the translation to our technology so it looks like it fits the mouths and it sounds like we would talk in a normal casual fashion."

"That's an artistry in of itself because you're taking something directly translated which often times can sound awkward and trying to make it sound natural."

"With 3.0 + 1.01 we weren't permitted to adapt it, so we were given Dan Kanemitsu's translation, we put that into our technology and that meant was we kinda had to work around the sync (mouth flaps). it wasn't Japans priority for there to be really good sync, the priority was to tell the story.... English dub fans want the sync to be as good as possible but when you have a company like Khara who don't really care so much about the sync as much as you telling the story we (Khara) want to tell, so you have to respect that."

Further reinforces Khara's insistance on controlling the localization ever since the 3.0 Funi redub, then Netflix, and now again.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Considering the quality/lack thereof of the out of house dub scripts, you can hardly blame them.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm super glad for it because we'll never have to deal with certain creative liberties harming fandom discussion for 20 years like what happened with EoE.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:28 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:I'm super glad for it because we'll never have to deal with certain creative liberties harming fandom discussion for 20 years like what happened with EoE.

Nope, apparently AWL is still harming Eva discussion as of last night, telling off a user for having the audacity of interpreting the Christian imagery in Eva. https://twitter.com/catboyshinji/status ... 6352562177

Why did people want her back again?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:29 pm

As the saying goes; disappointed, but not surprised.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:57 pm

From various clips I've watched and compared, here are my quick impressions:

1.11 + 2.22 Funi > Amazon

Amazon!Keith sounds way too raspy in a lot of scenes, and sadly I have to echo thoughts on Melody's subpar performance on Mari (the Zeruel fight, ugh). Losing Trina was a huge mistake, AWL was an interesting surprise and I didn't mind her in 1.11. 2.22 though, yikes. :cringe: Palencia wins there.

Spencer and Grant were weird here, their screams (not referring to the dumb audio portions were you could hear the JPN performance in certain moments) felt toned down especially during the Sahaquel and Zeruel (awakening) encounters.

Overall, I like certain changes that they added back from the original script to Amazon compared to Funi's ("father" --> "dad", "Ayanami --> "Rei", "not alert" --> "gotten in my way") but man the performances from the mains and even certain supporting casts (Maya) hurts the Amazon dub of the first two for me.

As for 3.33...

3.33 Amazon > Funi

Now there is where I think the scales tip

Spencer during the Wunder escape was unbearable but overall the rest of what I've heard her beats Funi, which I found to be their low point out of all three films dubbed under them. AWL had this in the bag considering it's ReiQ here.

Daman Mills alone murders EVERY single ENG VA of Kaworu in spades its not even funny, going back to Jerry Jewell made me reevaluate my previous impression of his performance, because hoo boy it hits different.

Overall Daman Mills was the highlight of the Amazon cast for me.

EDIT:

What the actual fuck.

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Sun May 01, 2022 1:11 am

Sorry to sort of necro this thread, but it looks like the Amazon dub got updated at some point. I'm rewatching 3.0+1.0 right now I've noticed Tohji now introduces himself using Japanese name order (Suzuhara Tohji), whereas at release he used western name order (Tohji Suzuhara). I doubt they'd go out of their way to update the audio just to change one instance of naming convention that only creates inconsistencies, so if anyone else can tell what else is changed that'd be great.

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Sun May 01, 2022 4:19 pm

View Original PostMistaL wrote:Sorry to sort of necro this thread, but it looks like the Amazon dub got updated at some point. I'm rewatching 3.0+1.0 right now I've noticed Tohji now introduces himself using Japanese name order (Suzuhara Tohji), whereas at release he used western name order (Tohji Suzuhara). I doubt they'd go out of their way to update the audio just to change one instance of naming convention that only creates inconsistencies, so if anyone else can tell what else is changed that'd be great.

Saw this. Would need to rewatch all the dubs to see about other changes, but I can confirm that Fyutsuki's double line has been fixed and Asuka's scream that was removed has been restored. So there have definitely been some corrections at least to the dub of 3.0+1.01.

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Mon May 02, 2022 6:00 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:
View Original PostMistaL#935316 wrote:Sorry to sort of necro this thread, but it looks like the Amazon dub got updated at some point. I'm rewatching 3.0+1.0 right now I've noticed Tohji now introduces himself using Japanese name order (Suzuhara Tohji), whereas at release he used western name order (Tohji Suzuhara). I doubt they'd go out of their way to update the audio just to change one instance of naming convention that only creates inconsistencies, so if anyone else can tell what else is changed that'd be great.

Saw this. Would need to rewatch all the dubs to see about other changes, but I can confirm that Fyutsuki's double line has been fixed and Asuka's scream that was removed has been restored. So there have definitely been some corrections at least to the dub of 3.0+1.01.

Wait, huh? Fuyutsuki's double line wasn't fixed when I watched it last night, but Asuka's scream was restored (and it sounded like it was actually Tiffany Grant too, which is nice). Maybe they've updated again since you last watched but fucked something up?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon May 02, 2022 9:20 am

Mildly off topic but I swear to high heaven the Prime English subtitles (not dubtitles AFAIK, though) have been tweaked a few times since August release too.

MistaL
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MistaL » Mon May 02, 2022 11:30 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Mildly off topic but I swear to high heaven the Prime English subtitles (not dubtitles AFAIK, though) have been tweaked a few times since August release too.

Most likely, yeah. Kanemitsu probably has more liberty to send in revisions compared to Netflix (where they ignored any revisions he sent in beyond changing "worthy of my grace")

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”