"Anno's Vision"

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

"Anno's Vision"

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Anno's Vision for Rebuild:
Hideaki Anno's Statement:

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.
The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has been constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

My question(s) are
1.So Far do we think Anno's vision has been realized
2. What your general feelings about Anno
3.Will Anno make any twists to the plot...again?

Personally I think Anno did a great job with Evangelion the first time around (I saw EoE before the series and for some reason liked it) , and as thus far is doing great this time. He has thrown us a few twists

~sorry if this post belongs elsewhere~
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:29 pm

It's too early to answer any of your questions, IMO. But what do I think of Anno? Nothing, really...but for the moment, I still think better of him than of George Lucas (lol).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:31 pm

ther I go again asking the unanswerable <laughs>
I respect George Lucas, Its getting harder to defend him when its announced two more star wars movies are being made
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Anno wrote:”Eva" is a story that repeats.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:52 pm

That's an amusing catch, you think he means literally?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:59 pm

The desire to keep the eva cash cow fat with milk to sell to Otaku at inflated prices.

LOL sorry someone needed to say it.

Sorry this film has to prove to me its not StarWars special edition before I beleive annos vision isn't of dollar signs.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Hard to say, but there HAS been a few hints (sea is red like at the end of EoE, moon has red spot like at the end of EoE, Kaworu already knows Shinji, etc...).

DatDude wrote:Sorry this film has to prove to me its not StarWars special edition before I beleive annos vision isn't of dollar signs.

Significant plot points have already been changed, there's no possible way the story can continue on the way it unfolds in the original series. Doesn't that already preclude it from a "StarWars special edition" treatment? There's no doubt that this film will make money, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the 2 week blockbusters from Hollywood that people go see once because it took $300 mil to make then forget about it.

IMO, just watching Ramiel was worth the price of admission, twice, and I'd pay to see it again if I could.
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 pm

DatDude wrote:...before I beleive annos vision isn't of dollar signs.

YEN, MONKEYHUMPER! CAN YOU SPEND IT?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 pm

BobBQ wrote:
DatDude wrote:...before I beleive annos vision isn't of dollar signs.

YEN, MONKEYHUMPER! CAN YOU SPEND IT?

Sir I stand corrected.

Ornette wrote:Doesn't that already preclude it from a "StarWars special edition" treatment?

Depends on of we a get a " han shot gredo first " moment where the story and a key character lose a certain bite.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 pm

DatDude wrote:The desire to keep the eva cash cow fat with milk to sell to Otaku at inflated prices.

well there is no doubt in my mind it will be rereleased several times.
Spining off of colemans point about iluding to the previous series,
that has atisfied me deeply (although it isnt confirmed 100% but there is a good chance.)
My Main hope is that Anno does not become a copy like lucas
My Anime List

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:24 pm

DatDude wrote:Depends on of we a get a " han shot gredo first " moment where the story and a key character lose a certain bite.

There's nothing like that in the first movie, at least. Kaworu, however brief he was onscreen, already knows who Shinji is, and he's on the moon, and Seele 01 is there with him, on the moon. Misato knows Lilith is in Terminal Dogma, and so does Shinji. Plot points like that.

Anyways, as from my quoting earlier, there's a chance that all of this is actually happening AFTER EoE.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:31 pm

I gotta say, that would be really fucked up, not to mention utterly incomprehensible...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:43 pm

I find it hard to believe as well. But a lot of people in the rebuild list on mixi (like a Japanese invite only myspace) have been thinking that it's history repeating itself. There was one guy on the list that saw it 2 times on sept 1st, and he was in Shinjuku Tokyo (which means he stood in line all night, finished movie, stood in line again for hours, watched movie again). But we'll never know, but I do hope that it's fucked up.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 pm

Ornette wrote:
DatDude wrote:Depends on of we a get a " han shot gredo first " moment where the story and a key character lose a certain bite.

There's nothing like that in the first movie, at least. Kaworu, however brief he was onscreen, already knows who Shinji is, and he's on the moon, and Seele 01 is there with him, on the moon. Misato knows Lilith is in Terminal Dogma, and so does Shinji. Plot points like that.

Anyways, as from my quoting earlier, there's a chance that all of this is actually happening AFTER EoE.

Oh I've heard that around before and the idea that this is a round robin some how and the characters ( or humanity in general) are fated to keep doing this same shit over and over dosn't sit well with me. If thats anno's vision I'll stick to my plat dvds. However this is anno a mand like Neil Gaiman, or warren ellis or jack kerby. Truly capable of building visions on mad beautiful ideas and blowing away you conceptions of a genera. That being said a lot of artiest only really break new ground once. William gibson redefined a genra ( or created one but thats not a debate for here and now) but since the sprawl books he's not done it again.

That is my fear for anno and this new telling of eva. I hope more so then anything that my fears are un grounded but till I see these movies all of them I really can't say.

DD

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:25 pm

DatDude wrote:BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Do you derive enjoyment from constant pessimism?

Anyway, it's certainly an interesting angle. Besides; the aforementioned "vision" was an advertising poster for RoE. I figure he's overexagerrating a lot of it. Anyway, perhaps this is what they mean when they said that RoE will be something both Eva fans and newcomers can enjoy?
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:12 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:I gotta say, that would be really fucked up, not to mention utterly incomprehensible...

Of course it is; it's NGE.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:05 pm

EvaCub wrote:
DatDude wrote:The desire to keep the eva cash cow fat with milk to sell to Otaku at inflated prices.

well there is no doubt in my mind it will be rereleased several times.
Spining off of colemans point about iluding to the previous series,
that has atisfied me deeply (although it isnt confirmed 100% but there is a good chance.)
My Main hope is that Anno does not become a copy like lucas

I was sooo wrong
:pwnd: Wow
with this RErelease of Rebuild already I'm kinda thinking anno is once again back to money milking george lucas-esque shanaigans once again, I love evangelion, but a remake already is pretty ridculous
My Anime List

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Anno will pay for his lack of vision. (insert Palpatine emoticon here)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sedemihcrA
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby sedemihcrA » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 am

I don't understand why you think he is copying himself after watching the trailer for the second movie. There are elements completely divorced from the original story in that trailer. The new evas, the new character, etc., etc.

I think the only reason we are having this conversation right now is that the first movie happens to be so close to the events of the series' opening, but if anything, I'd say the second movie will become wildly divergent from that. Kaworu piloting his own Eva, GlassesGirl doing whatever it is she does, Lillin+ whatever the hell that's about, Angel on the moon plus coffins.

NONE of that is in the original. Why would you call it a Star Wars special edition knowing all of that? Clearly the story can't be identical to the series and make those elements fit, no?

My guess is everyone's expectations for Rebuild will be knocked on their collective asses after movie two is released.
In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer.

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:01 pm

My problem isnt that Anno isn't being original my problem is that he's pulling a Lucas in the sense of redistrbuting a new movie again to make more money already ie. Rebuild of Evangelion 1.25 You are (not) alone
My Anime List

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”