You Never See Anything Just Once - NTE Edition

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Re: You Never See Anything Just Once - NTE Edition

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:51 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:I think there's an accepted theory that NTE establishes only five pilots available, period: Ayanamis (as many as you want!), Nagisas (only one coffin's worth at a time, please), Ikaris (just one), Shikinamis (only one still active -- or so we thought!), and Makinamis (who knows lol). Unlike in NGE, where there's an entire Marduk class of pilot candidates, we just get these five in NTE. Under that restriction, neo-Nerv after the timeskip only has access to the first two, because Shinji, Asuka, and Mari are out of its reach (and protected by lots of explosive collars, etc.). Wille thus believes that neo-Nerv cannot operate Unit 13 with two pilots because 1) Ayanamis don't work and 2) Nagisa is a one-off / dead. The surprise appearance of Asuka's original shows this belief by Wille to be tragically wrong.

We don't know what exactly makes an Eva pilot in NTE, in NGE it was "easy" (a human + a soul of someone emotionally close to you to put in the core, a piece of your own soul also works if available), but in Rebuild we have no idea of anyone could be a pilot or not, as Rei and Asuka were created for it, but from what we got Shinji is a completely normal human, Kaworu is Kaworu so he doesn't count, and we don't know enough about Mari to know if she's a normal human, a clone or the 14th Doctor dicking around.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am

Yeah -- it also just occurred to me that "there's only five pilots in the NTE world!" isn't really coherent in light of 1) the Vatican treaty limiting each country to three Evas and 2) the dummy systems.

I'll only take issue with this bit:

ElMariachi wrote:but from what we got Shinji is a completely normal human

He was probably born normal but then he got wrung out in the Artificial Evolution Lab, so by the time he's a teenager I don't think he's really normal any more.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:42 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:He was probably born normal but then he got wrung out in the Artificial Evolution Lab, so by the time he's a teenager I don't think he's really normal any more.

By the time of after the timeskip he's definitively not fully human anymore (see his resistance to the L-Barrier, or his eyes glowing purple when Mark.09 hijack again the Wunder in Shin), but before that it's a big unknown.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:42 am

We know that Yui entered the anti-universe and found the gogolta object before her physical death which raises many questions about how she did it. My theory is that it could have happened when the "gates of hell" were open during the second impact(I want to hear what you think about that), but this means that yui was no longer human after the anti-universe, so what does that mean for Shinji and her human status. also at the end of 3.0 + 1.0 Shinji has full control of unit 01 and is basically what midori and sakura calls a god who brings death and destruction but saved them in the past.

also we know that Rei and Asuka are clones, kaworu is an angel and gendo modified his body to become a god marking the first time an adult pilot an eva in the franchise.

then there is mari, ... when she is introduced for the first time she is a teenager with an age close to that of the other pilots and after her first battle where she kills the angel she says this these lines of dialogue.

"I will choose Japanese since this is my first time"

"at least I'll pilot something at last"

and then in private

"They didn't tell me that syncing with Eva would be so difficult"

All this implies that it is the first time of her piloting, also there would be no reason for Mari to comment on the Eva in private and that she was lying about it. but in 3.0 and 3.0 + 1.0 it is implied that mari is maria iscariot. but we have a problem in the context that surrounds the pilots, what is happening and in worldbuilding. Besides that the Maria that we see in the photo in 3.0 is obviously an adult and if we take into account that she Maria? She seems to be the same age that she is in 2.0 when she appears for the first time so she would be 22/26 years old in that photo also she also looks like she is taller than Yui which means that she did not have the curse of Eva . but in 3.0 + 1.0 this is contradicted again because fuyutsuki calls mari, maria iscariot and she says that she has not heard that name for a long time. but at the same time, the marduk institute, the organization that recruits pilots, had a project in the Bethany base in 2.0 that gendo ordered Kaji to destroy together with unit 05 in addition to stealing the key from nabuconodozor. but then later in the same movie mari, Asuka and Shinji all go beyond the safe depth of the entry plug or in mari's case they "risk" entering negative values.

but here we have a problem, Asuka and Rei know that they are clones, even if Asuka was created in such a way that she does not transform into LCL because she was not "calibrated", this leaves her out of being a real human. this rules out kaworu and gendo is something else entirely.

then we have two possibilities with mari. The first and the only one that makes sense taking into account what is happening around the pilots, the context and the worldbuinding is that mari is a clone of another series just like Asuka or in another possibility is that in some way and With experiment Maria altered her body using the Nebuchadnezzar key but the problem is that gendo did this and he did not change his appearance and he did not rejuvenate (also there was absolutely nothing that even implied that this was possible in the first place) also this has another problem if mari did this then how come Kaji a spy in that bethany base did not discover that and also considers mari a girl when he talks about the success of the plan at the end of the battle in bethany. and if adults can pilot the eva then what is the point of creating clones to use as pilots.

Bonus possibility, mari read the attack on titan manga and her favorite character was Ymir, which would explain many things.

The only thing that connects everyone who at some point piloted an eva is that they were created, physically modified or are an angel.

Shinji on the other hand pilots the eva because of his mother, but he does things like cause unit 01 to wake up and his memories of when they were the initial days of NERV and the accident with unit 01 and his mother where deleted. so it is possible that he was modified in the past as well.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm

The only thing of significance we see Yui participate in is the descent into the core. Perhaps some aspect of that involved entrance into the anti-universe?
Après moi le déluge!

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm

gendo was able to enter the anti universe with the help of an awakened eva 13, while mari and Shinji entered the anti universe using eva 08 which was awakened after eating an adam. on the other hand, the entrance to the anti-universe seems to be physically tied to the place of the second impact.

AlphaZero
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AlphaZero » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:37 am

Now that a higher quality version of 3 is available I noticed that the ultraman symbols in the magic squares in 3.333 do match the ones in the magic square in the preview at then end of 2.22.
The first layer seems to have angel sealing glyphs around the symbols.
In the preview there's a vertical line between each symbol along the circle and in 3.333 this line has a horizontal line that connects it with the left of the symbol.
In the second layer inside each triangle there's also some sort of symbol which are 8 in total.
In the third layer in the inside of the outer circle there are 10 words of some kind and then there's the inner circle with something in it.

Another thing that I noticed is that inside each crater on the black moon there's a symbol that resembles two bullet like figures opposed to each other joined with an oval. Even with zoom I couldn't really make anything out of it.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:16 am

I made this a while ago and might as well put this here, a clever variation of Anno's classic repeating imageries but with a different context and outcome.

Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am

2.0:

3+1:

shineva4444C
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby shineva4444C » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:15 am

I had free time so I decided to do some of what caught my attention, others may have already found it or mentioned it but I think it may be new to you.

The red bicycle that appears inside Kensuke's house always caught my attention.
SPOILER: Show

Unit 1 and Unit 8 eating, Unit 0 and Unit 13 descending to the central dogma.

Various comparisons of Rei: (Mari, Asuka, Ochibi-san, food and cats)

Some comparisons of Asuka.

Miscellany: hands, hug, boy and past of gendo.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:01 am

This week I noticed that the Yui-Rei cloning facility shown in Gendo's instrumentality is the same facility shown in Asuka's instrumentality:

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 am

Lol she never really unpacks does she

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:38 pm

Disclaimer: I have not read this full thread, so I hope it has not been brought up yet.

I do not have any screenshots to compare, but there is a subtle bookending shot to 3.0+1.0:

At the start
There are many shots of Shinji despondently walking after Asuka and Rei before they arrive in Village 3. None of them are depicting any emotion. None of them are touching. All the backgrounds are still and (barely) moving. Despite the characters making walking motions, they barely seem to be crossing any distance (until we get to the next shot). We see this pattern repeated in many shots.

At the end
In the very last shot before the credits roll, Mari and Shinji are running out of the train station building. They are both exuberantly happy in their body language. They were holding hands in the shot immediately preceding it, but appear to have let go now. The background is filled with other people who are moving on their own, and the camera is panning dynamically across the landscape. The characters are running, and quickly move across the screen and out of view of the camera. There is only one (extended) shot of this; no repeat.

In my mind, the contrast between these two scenes depict not only Shinji's personal growth across the movie, but also a very meta point to the entire Evangelion franchise: The cycle has been broken.

The multiple shots of Shinji trudging on with Asuka and Rei across various different landscapes depict the cyclical nature of the story, the many repetitions of history in-universe (multiverse?), and at the meta level, the multiple retellings of the story in the TV series, the manga, the various video games and the three previous Rebuild movies. Shinji is depicted as stuck being an directionless Freudian boy-child, who is continuously forced into the company of his equally (if differently) stunted peers Rei and Asuka.

By contrast, the end scene depicts Shinji as an emotionally mature adult in the company of Mari, who is also mature and grounded - despite her own peculiarities. Rei and Asuka are gone, having gone their own separate ways. Shinji has finally completed his journey, and his running off-screen nearly immediately suggests that his path no longer coincides with that of the story of Evangelion. Mari's presence in this scene is necessary, because Shinji needs an "other" to relate to, and Mari there because she is a new presence, and emphatically not the "old and familiar" Rei and Asuka, thus symbolizing Shinji's freedom to form new relationships with new people.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:35 pm

You Never Hear Anything Just Once - NGE / NTE Crossover Edition

NGE Episode 22, creepy children's laughter during 15th angel attack

NTE 2.0, creepy children's laughter during 9th angel attack

NTE 3+1 creepy children's laughter during Unit 13 attack

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”