GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:27 pm

Anyone spotted any good frames for the art cards? I've been to busy with work to really look. Looking for something double sided.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:53 am

No complaints about the Ultimate Edition. As a passionate collector of physical media and Evangelion being my favorite work in all pop culture I think it's only right Neon Genesis Evangelion literally has the most massive box in my collection.

Thing is massive.

So looking forward to doing my annual rewatch of Evangelion in March!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:14 am

I filmed an unboxing of my Ultimate Edition, and will post the video in the official EvaGeeks YouTube channel once I’m done editing it.

HARVEST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HARVEST » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:28 am

I am still perplexed on why Khara did not at least licence Fly Me to the Moon for two episodes and the Death movie.
Removing them from the end credits is one thing but why would they have to go through the trouble of removing them from the actual episodes/movie if it meant that they would spend less money?

I know licensing Fly Me to the Moon is expensive nowadays but it looks like Khara never took this third option.
They would be spending a fraction of the licensing costs if they only had three instances in the entire series/movies and all the end credits (even in the two episodes with FMttM) for the series just had Rei I.

Khara, Netflix and GKIDS wouldn't have earned as much scorn if they only removed Fly Me to the Moon from the end credits.
Also, I think an instrumental-only version of Fly Me to the Moon would cost less than using a vocal cover, if it would cost anything at all. This is why a snippet of it can still be heard as diegetic music (like in Episode 2 in Shinji's cassette player) and why it has been sampled in VOYAGER in Shin Eva with said instances not getting edited in international releases.
The ADV dub has an instance of someone humming the song which has not been edited out of the Blu-ray.

Who knows? Maybe if Khara sees the removal of instrumental instances of Fly Me to the Moon as an oversight or if they handle the licensing, GKIDS/Anime Ltd./Madman/Dynit can send out replacement discs or reissues with Fly Me to the Moon partially restored, and Netflix can patch it back in select episodes. (Netflix previously patched an episode of 13 Reasons Why to censor an extremely graphic suicide scene that has been heavily criticised, and they patched a censored TV cut of Back to the Future: Part II with the uncensored theatrical/home video cut)

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:18 pm

Has the outer cover for anyone's Ultimate edition started to have the adhesive fail and separate? I'm debating whether to re-apply a more permenant adhesive and stack some books under/on top of the box, but at the same time I'm hesitant about doing anything that may rip the cover or somehow harm the set. It's a shame that 2 months in and it's coming apart.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:59 am

View Original PostheavyR wrote:Has the outer cover for anyone's Ultimate edition started to have the adhesive fail and separate? I'm debating whether to re-apply a more permenant adhesive and stack some books under/on top of the box, but at the same time I'm hesitant about doing anything that may rip the cover or somehow harm the set. It's a shame that 2 months in and it's coming apart.

This post prompted me to look behind me at my shelf and, what would you know, I think mine must be doing what yours is. You mean inbetween the Rei and Asuka panels, where the spine is gray, right? Because that appears to be widening on each side on mine.

At this point, I've become by necessity a bit of a restoration/preservationist wiz, and your solution sounds good. There are quirks to many collectibles--there's really no way to test for everything that might be an issue for an owner a decade down the line; every product is, in a sense, seeing its way through a yet resolved stress-test experiment. There's an edition of the Ghost in the Shell manga where, because of the way it sits in a bigger outer box and is made to rub against it in transit, it's virtually impossible to find a copy that doesn't have the exact same wear pattern, and the problem will only get worse over time and, ironically, will rear itself only as the (what you previously thought was mint) collectible ships to you.
Après moi le déluge!

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:31 pm

Mine is doing that as well. It's almost as though they designed it to lie flat, but all that weight can't be good for the spine of the book.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:11 pm

I ended up storing my Ultimate Edition set in a drawer in my nightstand, lying flat down. The more I think about it, the more I realize I don’t actually need or care about most of the extras. I haven’t read the booklet yet.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 am

So is the only on disc difference between the limited and the standard the inclusion of the old dub? You're spending the extra money for the book and things? There's no extras on the blu-ray's themselves besides the alternate dub?

GentlemanX
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:09 am

The older dubs/subs are on separate discs from VSI dubs. The standard edition discs are in the limited editions as well. There's also one other disc which contains the original Japanese home video versions of 25' and 26' which is also not present on the standard edition.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:52 am

View Original PostGentlemanX wrote:The older dubs/subs are on separate discs from VSI dubs. The standard edition discs are in the limited editions as well. There's also one other disc which contains the original Japanese home video versions of 25' and 26' which is also not present on the standard edition.

I saw rightstuf had the Standard Edition super cheap for their birthday sale this week; while I prefer my platinum for Fly Me to the Moon I was thinking of grabbing the standard just to have a version of the films that isn't garbage. Think this helps me decide since I'm just a sub watcher anyways! Thank you!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:27 am

I spent $60 on the Japanese DVD for EoE, and close to $400 for the Japanese BD sets. Even if it’s just for EoE, the standard $40 price tag for the whole series from GKIDS would have been the least amount of money I spent on a good quality version of that film.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:44 am

Feels like this is the appropriate thread for it, though a split might be in order.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:35 am

I have my ticket, and just in time it seems because my theater was nearly sold out already lol.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:56 am

This is *not* the G-KIDS North America release, but instead a new Korean BR release that the Korean Eva forum, which has provided us some translated material in the past, is currently looking over. I might as well post them here, as I really love those covers.

SPOILER: Show

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”