why does fly me to the moon keep changing?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Pervot
Embryo

why does fly me to the moon keep changing?

•      
  •      

Postby Pervot » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:42 am

title ^_^

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: why does fly me to the moon keep changing?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:44 am

It's an artistic choice, that's all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:21 pm

A hint perhaps to the rebuilds ;) (retelling the same story)

If your interested in them, theirs versions that weren't used like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckHvM3eEX0w

theirs probably more, it's been a while since I checked up

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:31 pm

^ That version is used in episode 16.

From my point of view, the various existing versions of this song don't seem to me to have any deep meaning. In the sixth episode there is a version sung by Asuka, because it was in this episode that she was introduced... I don't see anything else besides this.

BTW, It's interesting to see the three main female characters expressing love XD
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:40 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:^ That version is used in episode 16.

thx

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:56 am

Oh, yeah. That happens. As the story progress, the contrast between what's happening and the credits keep growing (to the point in which it starts to get uncomfortable, probably intentionally).
I remember it changing in episode 16. We can hear Asuka asking someone (presumably Shinji) if he loves her (and making advances).
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:26 am

Yeah, in that change the three female characters mutter several phrases, some of them well known:

• Asuka: "Hey, you wanna kiss?" (ねえ キスしようか?) / "Loneliness..." (寂しい・・・) / "do you love me?"*
  • Rei: "do you love me?" (私のこと好き?) / "who are you?" (あなた、誰?) / "do you want me?"*
  • Misato: "Why don't you become one with me?" (私とひとつにならない?) / "If you become one both in mind and body, it's a very, very conforting feeling." (心も体もひとつになる それはそれは・・・ とても 気持ちのいいことなのよ) / "do you love me?"*
* These three lines are spoken in English.

In the ADV subtitles, there's a curious speech: "Pleasure... sky of reality... cruel strangers..." -- such a poetic one, lol. Someone asked me about it someday, but I have zero idea about.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

Berserker
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Berserker » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:50 am

To me, the variation always played a subtle yet fascinating role of complementing each ep. Matching with the mood(for the lack of any better term of in my knowledge) of the story in each ep on an artistic level, the distinct melody, voice, instrumental choice felt like a proper, soothing conclusion that helped me keep myself at bay from letting my curiosity prevail and do a 1-2 day marathon and at the same time increased the already built up suspense after watching an ep a day during the first watch. Which I'd say was a right decision imo, since that gave me a lot of time to brainstorm and indulge.

It's a shame that Ritsuko's va didn't cover the one in ep 13 though.
EvaGeeks at its finest: discussing whether or not a 14 yo girl has breast implants and how they should look. ~Shamsiel-kun
Sometimes I secretly think the reason I'm an A/S shipper is because I want Rei for myself. ~Chuckman
Eew, penis and testicles, gross! ~Reichu
My dude, "cross, crucifix, troubles, back, rood, buttock" sounds a lot closer to classic Evangelion than just one stray buttock roaming around in the film. ~FreakyFilmFan4ever

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:31 pm

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:In the ADV subtitles, there's a curious speech: "Pleasure... sky of reality... cruel strangers..." -- such a poetic one, lol. Someone asked me about it someday, but I have zero idea about.

I'm pretty sure that came from the Japanese poster for EoE. It listed a bunch of metaphorical, often negative, ideas, and then wrote Rei and Shinji's lines from just before Third Impact starts:

"Then, why are you here?"
"Is it okay for me to be here?"

As for why ADV chose to insert that into Episode 16, I have no idea. ADV pre-Platinum subs tended to include a lot of bizarre changes to the original script.

gelflinghand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gelflinghand » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:27 pm

View Original PostBerserker wrote:It's a shame that Ritsuko's va didn't cover the one in ep 13 though.

Yes, that would have been nice. Perhaps she just doesn't sing? Or maybe they didn't think to ask her.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:02 am

View Original Postgelflinghand wrote: Perhaps she just doesn't sing?

This seems a likely explanation. It appears that she's into tango singing and has provided some vocals for One Piece, but has no significant musical career beyond that I can see.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:42 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I'm pretty sure that came from the Japanese poster for EoE.

I never thought to look at this poster, but I've to say you might be right.

I found only one phrase that is fully match:
残酷な他人 (zankokuna tanin) → Can be translated as “cruel stranger”

Thanks!

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”