Forum Wackiness

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Re: Forum Wackiness

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:49 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:Thanks, UrsusArctos! I see what you're talking about. It's something similar to what happened on April Fools' Day, right? That's funny! lol

Yes, this is the same wordfilter function. We actually have wordfilters in place to automatically correct the most common misspellings of "Asuka" and "Kaworu" because seeing them spelled wrongly all the time can become annoying. What happened on April Fools' Day was a deliberate prank, but the "que"->"cue" wordfilter was an unfortunate case of an anti-annoyance utility lasting long enough to become an annoyance of its own.

From what I have read, the linguistic situation in New Mexico is somewhat confusing, with no "official" language, but with the state being "English Plus" and having its own form of Spanish.

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else getting logged off all the time?

Yeah, it happens all the time. I have a trick to deal with this, though. Always CTRL-C your posts before uploading them. That way, you won't lose paragraphs of text after being logged out.
That actually happened to Berserk EVA-02 once. It was a shame.

That sounds like a browser issue rather than a site issue. You checked the option to stay logged in, right?
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:07 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:From what I have read, the linguistic situation in New Mexico is somewhat confusing, with no "official" language, but with the state being "English Plus" and having its own form of Spanish.

Yeah, you're right. It seems like New Mexico's constitution doesn't specify an official language.That said, laws are published in English and Spanish. It is the government's job to ensure that materials and services are made available to speakers of both languages. It's similar to what happens in Louisiana (where services and documents are offered in both English and French).
The US does not have an official language at the federal level. It's up to each state to define (or not) these things. Both Hawaii and Alaska, for example, have more than one official language. This is crazy, but it makes sense.
Anyway, New Mexico's Spanish dialect is indeed "different". I actually know some Spanish, but I'm used to the Argentinean variation.

UrsusArctos wrote:That sounds like a browser issue rather than a site issue. You checked the option to stay logged in, right?

I don't know exactly what causes it, but I'm frequently logged out from the site. Usually it doesn't bother me. It gets annoying once I'm actually trying to post something. I click on the submit button, but as I have been logged out from the forum, it asks me to log in again. That, in turn, causes my entire post to vanish. It's hard to explain. This happens both on my cell phone and on my computer. Interestingly, this doesn't happen on the wiki, where I'm always logged in.
I have noticed some patterns. It happens when I go from one device to another, for example. Other times it's just random.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:26 pm

It's exactly what happens to me too. Sometimes I even click to submit a reply, and then I get a message telling me to log in, or that the forum does not exist if it's in the Shin subforum. I recall something similar happening about a year ago too.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:07 am

I've never been able to find a reason for this. It's never happened to me, but some people can't escape it. I usually mutter something about cookie permissions or https and hope it'll go away (which it doesn't)...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:27 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I've never been able to find a reason for this. It's never happened to me, but some people can't escape it. I usually mutter something about cookie permissions or https and hope it'll go away (which it doesn't)...

It stopped happening to me after I switched from Chrome to Brave. Might have something to do with it?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:59 pm

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I've just realized something. I think it might be a bug.
Every time I try to type the word "q-u-e", it doesn't work. Instead, I'm greeted by "c-u-e".
I can explain this one. At least one poster (names withheld to protect the guilty) was, maybe still is, in the habit of wanting to type a word pronounced /kju/ by splitting the difference between "queue" and "cue" (when meaning the latter).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:31 am

Both front page (https://evageeks.org/) and the EvaWiki (https://wiki.evageeks.org/) is down; I get a HTTP error 522: connection timed out.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:04 pm

Ornette's server hosts the Front Page and the Wiki, so I sent him a message on Discord letting him know about it. Getting in touch with him via Discord or email is usually the way to go if there's a 522 error.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm

I logged in today and discovering that I had new notifications waiting for me since December 11, ones that I did not receive any emails about despite having the appropriate settings in place. Is something going on with the system?
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:11 am

Yes -- it looks like the outgoing mail server has been silently failing most of the time for some weeks now. This is being worked on.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

gelflinghand
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gelflinghand » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes -- it looks like the outgoing mail server has been silently failing most of the time for some weeks now. This is being worked on.

Ah, that probably explains why I had trouble registering. It wouldn't send an activation email, until I got an "Inactive account reminder" email today. It wasn't failing silently, though - I saw an error message at the top of the page:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 1460: stream_socket_enable_crypto(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages: error:1409442E:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:tlsv1 alert protocol version

It would be useful to have a publicly visible email address for the forum, so there's some way to contact the mods if you're not able to log in.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:59 pm

View Original Postgelflinghand wrote:It wasn't failing silently, though - I saw an error message at the top of the page:
But, alas, nothing in the forum logs that the staff could see; only by seeing a large backlog of unactivated accounts was it apparent there was a problem.

You're right about the contact address -- we did receive a couple of requests for help at the [email protected] address, but that email is rather less discoverable than I had remembered it being.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:25 pm

We are restructuring the forum a bit. We've decided to expand the "Related Works & People" section. This decision was made on the account of wanting to further explore the contents of the live-action "Shin" movies, as well as try to accommodate the growing awareness of Anno's non-Eva filmography in the English speaking cultures. (Shin Godzilla made a splash internationally, and it looks like Shin Ultraman and Shin Kamen Rider will have a similar impact.)

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”