I think Yui has bad taste in men.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

I think Yui has bad taste in men.

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:15 pm

Think about it, a man like Gendo Ikari, a man broken on the inside, was a part of the conspiracy to bring about the world’s end and the end to all human life, and became the poor excuse of the father and abandoned his own son.

Just what was Yui thinking when she decided to marry a man like him? Sure, she pitied him when he was at his low point, but she should have known better that he would end up being the worst father in history.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: I think Yui has bad taste in men.

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:01 pm

I think, though, this subversion of the bad boy trope in NGE as it plays like she went after the bad boy hoping she could fix him, and it worked for a while then she saw how much of an asshole he'd been to Shinji and eat him in EOE.

SPOILER: Show

The clever subversion being that she did not put up with his crap and punished him for it.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:56 pm

We are talking about a woman who, when presented with a preventable apocalypse which followed a clear set of rules, devised literally the most complex and dangerous survival plan imaginable, part of which involved transforming herself into a Japanese robot mom and sailing the cosmos as an ark of human souls. Yui's great at taking a goal and finding the most absurd way to reach it.

There's a reason I like to call her Screwy Yui.
[Redacted]

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:15 pm

Well, I would say Gendo has bad taste in women. His obsession with Yui is a very realistic portrayal of emotional dependency. Giving love and attention to someone, only to eventually stop (going elsewhere, leaving the other person behind). This is a classic way of manipulating people into obsessing about you. Gendo's obsession played well for Yui in the long run. I'm not saying she's evil or anything. Just not the type of woman I would want in my life...
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:54 pm

Plenty of otherwise bad people turn out to have a genuine soft spot for their loved ones. Was Yui supposed to assume Gendo couldn't possibly be one of them? If a guy who got in a few fights in college (might be recalling ep 21 wrong, but I think that was mentioned as the biggest supposed red flag) isn't fit to be a father, then Yui turning him down wouldn't have stopped, let's say, Ritsuko, from later impregnating herself off him instead. The most reliable prevention would be to have him sterilized. Too extreme? Perhaps, but one of the natural consequences of not doing so is that he gets to become a (biological) father.

I get that abuse and neglect are tricky, and it sometimes seems easier to say "you should've known better" than to try to come up with actual prevention strategies. But whatever practical solutions are out there, victim-blaming isn't one of them. At best it's unfair to those who wanted to give those they loved a second chance in a world not exactly otherwise known for second chances. At worst it'd only encourage even more would-be abusers to conceal their true nature until the baby is born, putting us all the way back at square one, except this time around without as much reason why they "should've known better".

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:48 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Yui's great at taking a goal and finding the most absurd way to reach it.

This may be one of my favorite quotes on Evageeks.

But in all honestly, why do women always seem to go for the douche bags? To answer your question CT, yeah, she does.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:31 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:
View Original PostIronEvangelion#933567 wrote:Yui's great at taking a goal and finding the most absurd way to reach it.

This may be one of my favorite quotes on Evageeks.

But in all honestly, why do women always seem to go for the douche bags? To answer your question CT, yeah, she does.

Because they shoot their shot. Women date guys that actually ask them out.

More to the main topic, though: Everyone in Eva has bad taste in everyone. Unless their taste is Ritsuko. She's perfect.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:23 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:
View Original Post::KL7::#933769 wrote: This may be one of my favorite quotes on Evageeks.

More to the main topic, though: Everyone in Eva has bad taste in everyone. Unless their taste is Ritsuko. She's perfect.

well the manga is the only media that goes into some detail and it's clear that it is Yui who seduced Gendo with Gendo actually being somewhat awkward

PS I'm not certain Gendo was the bad one in the relationship, Whilst Gendo does indeed play god during the series he does it for someone he loves in a post apocaloptic world, Yui on the other hand does it so no one else can and she started cloning angels even before the world turned to hell and might be responsible for it don't forget Gendo's connection to seele came to Yui, who wanted her death ( a death cult found Yui to dangerous to live and she was the main developer of the eva's)

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:18 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Just what was Yui thinking when she decided to marry a man like him? Sure, she pitied him when he was at his low point, but she should have known better that he would end up being the worst father in history.

The Gendo Ikari who met Yui was a very different personality. When Yui met him, Gendo was a cocky bastard who smirked at life as though it was his private joke, had an actual sense of humor and seemed genuinely capable of affection and tenderness (look at Gendo's face when he tells Fuyutsuki about his son). Like Naoko notes, "Chief Ikari was a changed man" after Yui's disappearance in the Contact Experiment, and that's when his harsh, cold, uncaring personality emerged.

We don't know why Yui went about things the way she did, and neither do we know if she understood how emotionally dependent on her Gendo had become for him to be affected so badly by her disappearance. In hindsight, it's easy to say that her choice of husband was terrible, but there's a heck of a lot that we don't know or have to infer about the state of affairs at the time. Furthermore, isn't real life full of once-ideal couples who land up arguing, moving away from each other, or eventually bringing out each other's worst personality traits? People change, and what seems like a match made in heaven can turn out to be diabolical later. Humans are complicated.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:52 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:
View Original PostNatalie the Cat#933786 wrote:

well the manga is the only media that goes into some detail and it's clear that it is Yui who seduced Gendo with Gendo actually being somewhat awkward

PS I'm not certain Gendo was the bad one in the relationship, Whilst Gendo does indeed play god during the series he does it for someone he loves in a post apocaloptic world, Yui on the other hand does it so no one else can and she started cloning angels even before the world turned to hell and might be responsible for it don't forget Gendo's connection to seele came to Yui, who wanted her death ( a death cult found Yui to dangerous to live and she was the main developer of the eva's)

Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention in the later episodes, and maybe it's partly wishful thinking because of how pretty Yui is and how sweet her voice is, but I think Yui's exact characterization and to what extent (if any) she meant well was sort of open to interpretation. At the very least, even if she's evil, then she's a more humble and soft-spoken variety of evil than Gendo. (Think "Count Dooku in Attack Of The Clones," except even more so. And from a more interesting show.)

K7: Are you referring to in the show or in real life?

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:31 am

I guess my take is....Gendo was a rebellious radical and Yui was a lab rat. She found this attractive as opposites tend to do
and decided like many unfortunates, that she could stabilize or "fix" him. Then the bottom dropped out of the world and all
this "Angel" crap got real. With brilliant foresight she decided on a dangerous course of action to influence the cataclysmic
outcome to bring her baby boy to the forefront. SEELE grossly underestimated her influence/control in the Eva Core.
Unfortunately for Yui she didn't anticipate that her disappearance would send Gendo into a psychotic break, his caring
and soft side completely submerged or expunged and a new "GendoBot" arose to fulfill former Gendo's single minded desire to
reunite with his wife. Her peevishness at his actions was illustrated in the "Mantis" scene in EOE.

Less bad taste and more tragic IMHO ....of course this is just my headcanon/fanwank worth approx 25yen if that much. :emogendo:
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:17 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:
View Original Post::KL7::#933769 wrote: This may be one of my favorite quotes on Evageeks.

Damn I just felt the last bit of my high school self die with that retort.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue May 10, 2022 2:27 pm

Hold up. Gendo Ikari? The man who conspired with a cult to build giant biobots to fight God while plotting to destroy the world, liquify all life on earth and use his own son as a pawn - all to bring his wife back?
I'm worried about how high your bar is.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu May 12, 2022 12:01 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:Hold up. Gendo Ikari? The man who conspired with a cult to build giant biobots to fight God while plotting to destroy the world, liquify all life on earth and use his own son as a pawn - all to bring his wife back?
I'm worried about how high your bar is.

Only it's Yui who build the giant biorobots.
It's Yui who waned to be god.
Yui canonically would have gotten assasinated by SEELE and had to move fast, Gendo was left in charge so SEELE certainly would consider Yui the main evil.
Gendo didn't want to use his son as a pawn honnestly get removed him from the board but was forced to place him back

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”