Yui being Rei's mom (gene donor)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

Yui being Rei's mom (gene donor)

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:52 am

Can anyone help me?
Where in the manga, OG tv series or rebuild is it stated that Yui is Rei's mother?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Yui being Rei's mom (gene donor)

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:32 am

Like most things, it's implicit rather than explicit, in an off-hand allusion to Rei in the context of trying to retrieve Yui, referring, in one translation, to "the product of my despair". Still trying to track down which episode that was, though.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:22 am

In NTE at the least, Fuyutsuki tells Shinji explicitly during the shogi game in Q.

The series is never quite explicit; but there are hints, such as when Shinji notices that she seems to remind him of "a" (i.e. his?) mother. But the "Red Cross Book" which was published for the first releases of End of Evangelion has the quote: "[Rei's] body was actually salvaged from what was left behind of Yui's body inside EVA."

I haven't checked in the manga yet.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:45 am

wow thanks I've totally missed the rebuild ones.
Do you think Fuyutsuki had any reason to lie here?

Mr times the product of my despair was stated by fuyutsuki right I believe it's the episode where he get's interrogated I might watch it this evening.

(on a sidenote do you consider Yui to be Rei's mother or her father as Yui donated genetic material but didn't carry/gestate Rei) Also does this question matter in some way (all the pilots mothers are inside the eva's so the difference seem somewhat relevant)

Lickitung
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lickitung » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Still trying to track down which episode that was, though.

Episode 23 ( director's cut) just after Rei's death

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:11 pm

Do you think those lower bodies dangling under the torso of Lilith show how Rei clones are produced?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 pm

^
That's an idea that's been kicked around for many years, with, of course, no conclusion either way.

View Original PostLickitung wrote:Episode 23 ( director's cut) just after Rei's death
Thanks. I didn't have a set of DC scripts conveniently to hand, & of course couldn't find it in the OA ones.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 pm

View Original Postsithsauron wrote:Do you think those lower bodies dangling under the torso of Lilith show how Rei clones are produced?

probably not , if so their would be many more swimming in the LCL sea , if they caught only a couple Gendo would have no problem replacing the ones Ritsuko destroyed.

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:11 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:probably not , if so their would be many more swimming in the LCL sea , if they caught only a couple Gendo would have no problem replacing the ones Ritsuko destroyed.

good point i was just thinking that

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”