Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:04 am

Finished Digimon Tamers; not a groundbreaking revelation to the degree that I was hyping myself up to expecting it to be, but still firmly a good show, confident 8/10, and definitely much better than something made to advertise a card game has any right to be.
Also a solid bunch of Eva influences and Taomon has one of the coolest transformation sequences that I have ever seen in any show; if you haven't, go watch it. It's a good time.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:01 am

Lupin III part VI

There's an episode 00 to this entry, didn't know why until I watched it.

This is Kiyoshi Kobayashi's send off, his final entry as Jigen. The last of the original 1971 cast -- 50 years he's voiced this character, hot damn.

SPOILER: Show
Nothing extravagant, just an episode of Jigen toying with leaving Lupin, only to save them from some convincingly menacing drones.

On a side note: Inspector Lestrade is a gun-toting Mother ******. The dude fired a gun into a crowd, in a smokescreen. To stop a guy who was just stealing a poster whose worth he admitted he didn't know. In a country where most cops don't even have guns!

Holmes, your next mystery, how the hell has no one noticed Lestrade is a sociopath?

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Restaurant to Another World, Season 2 – More of the same, inconsequential fluff. Exactly all it needs to be.

Op is nothing like "One in a billion" of last season, but yeah, the magic of this show of watching people having food-gasms is well-intact. It's half of what made Food Wars fun without the distracting camera sliding all over the place.

The endless Law & Order conceit of new set ups for "How do they find the body the door?" also doesn't get old for me.

BTW, did you know the Master is like 12% ogre? That explains why he's so tall I guess.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:05 pm

Tried and not picked up -- Platinum End (ow the edge) and Takt Op. Destiny (annoying and stupid characters are not amusing).
Still a maybe -- Sakugan, which looked from the synopsis to be The Adventures of Simone the Digger but so far has little by way of Gurren Lagann riffs, and instead has kaiju that are bootleg Evangelions; and Digimon Ghost Game which is at least so far not a another retread of Adventure.

From the backlog -- the 2016 Berserk is not as bad as the CGI-haters made out; it's just a slightly sanitised chunk of the post-Eclipse story without the obsessively detailed artwork of the manga.

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:It’s frustrating to see the Demon Slayer movie and latest episodes require a paid Crunchy subscription, to watch in Poland, at least.
Not just Poland, in fact. It's possible some of it may be free-to-view later, but not just a week later (it happened to at least Gosick and Fena : Pirate Princess that I remember).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:15 pm

I quite enjoy Sakugan so far; this is a good season well, more like year for mecha in general.
New Kyoukai Senki ep is also out; I'm not sure about the plot, so far it seems a bit... scatterbrained in that regard, but the attention to detail is stunning. So much of the little things in day to day operation; maintenance on the mechs, switching radio codes, counterintelligence work, believable logistics, civilian support structures, mentions of getting therapy for the pilots, realistic and intelligent battle tactics and a few more things like that; even if the show is going to end up not great, this is going to stick with me for a solid while, just by virtue of doing all the little things that I have so long wished that mecha would do more of
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote: Digimon Ghost Game which is at least so far not a another retread of Adventure.

And it has some teeth to its narrative, unlike Xros Wars. The entire Mummymon affair gave me deja vu for Dynazenon and 02 simultaneously.

On a different note, Digimon as a premise has kind of struggled with "Ok the mons are fighting... what do you do with the kids?"

New Adventure gave hilarious examples of not even bothering to solve this.
*Birdramon carrying the kids on a log*
*sees ultimate Digimon flying in its direction.*

"f*** it, COME AT ME BRO!"

It seems like this series may be leaning down the path of Tamers where the humans and mons "fuse" in some way (or at least have haptic feedback?) and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

AMAIM Warrior ep. 4

The mascot alone had me thinking this was a parody of a mecha series. But nah, that's probably Megaton-kyuu Musashi this season.

The 2nd real fight for the series this episode. The feel of the clash; with few decisive blows, more kinetic > energy weapons, and the bulky-skeletal designs of the mechs is similar to Iron Blooded Orphans.

The choreography is a bit messy; the fight at least twice crosses the line. There's a dominant direction of action from one side of the screen to the other, it plays out continuously in that same direction, only to invert for no obvious reason. Throwing off my sense of where the bots are relative to one another.

"Keep pushing left, keep pushing left, the range bot stands to fire -- he's firing to the left? Why? There's nothing there!... except the enemy suddenly."

Character motivations are pretty thin; kind of laughed when I saw the very matter-of-fact flashback for the Lancer character.

The MC at least is less predictable in that he has a blameless tragedy unrelated to the war. So I don't see him becoming a Shinn Asuka.

I was also floored to see this line:

"He's struggling with death; we'll arrange for therapy as soon as we reach HQ"

WHA?! Oh c'mon! PTSD is what makes mecha berserker episodes so special! :devil:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:22 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:But nah, that's probably Megaton-kyuu Musashi this season.

Musashi is in such a weird place. It is both utterly deranged sometimes, but equally, some of it is just good mecha, and I'm not quite sure yet how or why that works

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:40 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Tried and not picked up -- Platinum End (ow the edge)

I'm still in with Platinum End. It's kind of Mirai Nikki trying to be Death Note. Now I quite liked Mirai Nikki, but hated Death Note (dropped it at ep14 or so) - so we'll see how that pans out...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:22 pm

Considering that around ep 14 is what I consider to be where the good part of Death Note ends, you definitely made the right call; if you didn't like it before, chances are you would have groaned nonstop at it after

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:59 pm

So 86 went places today. Friend I was watching it wish actually screamed in surprise at one point. Mental note to myself; watch new 86 episodes at the end of the night, bombshells like the ones this show likes to drop are hard to follow up

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:36 am

86 is curious. The graphics are stunning, and I love the designs, too. It's a great show, and I highly recommend it.

However, having read the books (the original is light novels, not manga) I find there are quite a lot of places where the anime doesn't appear to explain what I took from reading the books, and sometimes weakens it. It's not worth my explaining in any detail, but as one illustration, when we are shown the Nordlicht Squadron facing off against the second wave of Legion in the latest episode, the sheer imbalance of power and numbers is shown, but I had no sense of the immediacy of the threat from the speed of response of individual Legion units. This is emphasised in the books, but in the cited scene they appear to sit unresponsive as they are attacked by the 86.

But I guess I'm quibbling a bit - it still works well in its own right.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:09 pm

oh yeah, I can definitely see that feeling very differently in the novels. But yeah, at the end of the day, very good show, go watch

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:21 am

Digimon Ghost Game Ep. 4

A body being dragged away into the dark... I'll admit, I never thought I'd see that in Digimon.

Don't worry, they got better.

And this is Halloween-themed, I actually caught the relevant special on the exact holiday for once.

Pumpmon was stabbing a knife less than an inch from people's faces, but...

... because PTSD doesn't exist in the Digital World. Juri notwithstanding....

The fight was... meh. What is an ambush, where you reveal the surprise? Why didn't they just turn and fight them in the hallway?

I also want to see some serious worldbuilding on this Digital World AR thing they're activating via the Digi V Vital bracelet (which apparently is a Fitbit).

Chiaki Konaka didn't hold back on background for Tamers, and that is the standard to beat.

EDIT:

Wait, what the hell? Digimon Tamers X Political Correctness? Cancel Culture is an attack? THIS IS CANON?!? :lol:

... I take back what I said. You can't beat it. Konaka is and forever will be, the Biggest Dreamer.

Sad we won't get Tamer 2020 though.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:41 pm

Watched Flip Flappers on what amounts to little more than a whim; I went in knowing pretty much nothing except two people telling me that it is really good, kind of a lot and way more things than you'd expect. Boy howdy they were right. Not gonna say anything more, because I don't think I can say even the basic genre without giving away something, but do yourself a favor and watch this show. It is very good.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:27 am

Have started "Arcane - League of Legends" on 'flix with absolutely no knowledge of the online game...and am enjoying it so far 3 episodes in. Animation is gorgeous and the voice acting excellent. My one gripe would be that all the characters mouths look very similar which is a bit weird but maybe it's just a me thing.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:08 pm

Ranking of Kings ep 5

I thought I was coming away with The Faraway Paladin as being the best story this season, but man, this show...

It's well animated, the MC is very endearing, and most named characters seemingly as a rule have more than one dimension to them. Even the not-long-for-this-world king judging by that
---thing that popped out of him. And the phoenix ritual.

The show puts some Ghibli influences on display; whether it's the way the Prince smiles & moves that evokes Ponyo, or the spiritual / naturalistic imagery of the series which channels Spirited Away and Mononoke.

The plot is... predictable. That's probably the weakest part to it. We're getting some Checkov's guns set up, and some have already fired, but I think most of the surprises the show will have is character motivations, rather than actions.

All in all, a really fun watch, can't recommend it enough from I've seen thus far.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:07 pm

Newest Sakugan episode went places, a whole lot of them. Won't spoil too much, just gonna say that this was probably the most unsettling depiction of a nightmare I have ever seen in media

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:53 pm

And just like last week, this week's Sakugan also went places. Can't say I expected any of this before the episode started, but I am here for it. Very much looking forward to see where this goes

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:46 pm

Okay, on a scale of 1 to crumpets, can any of our British members tell me how U.K.-themed the Lupin III Part VI op strikes you?

The music in particular, does the guitar sound like something uniquely Brit?

I thinks it's most tame of the country-themed series thus far, but I maybe too hopelessly Yank to see it's Britannian-ness in full.

Faraway Paladin Ep 8

Welp, he was a fine, sheltered kid while he lasted.

There might be some animals where this advice applies (I've done this with deer Bucks I guess), but this is definitely not one.

IRL I've done this with Gorillas, and the only reason I'm not dead, is that the individual was in a glass enclosure.

Anime... why u lie to me?

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:48 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:Have started "Arcane - League of Legends" on 'flix with absolutely no knowledge of the online game...and am enjoying it so far 3 episodes in. Animation is gorgeous and the voice acting excellent. My one gripe would be that all the characters mouths look very similar which is a bit weird but maybe it's just a me thing.

I have completely fallen in love with this series. I've re-watched it a few times and it still isn't stale. Shocked me really. The show has no business being as good as it is.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:58 am

It really was well done...I hope Arcane gets another season......but if it doesn't

the semi-apocalyptic ending was just fine!
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Return to “Anime and Manga”