Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Final Fantasy series

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed May 19, 2021 10:35 am

View Original PostAdamMalkovitch wrote:I'd be totally down, but I'm not eager to emulate. I tried emulating VII a few years ago before getting the Switch release and it had so many issues I couldn't get past the opening FMV, it would just freeze and loop the last few seconds of music. If PS1 emulation has improved and this is no longer a common problem... maybe. I do find that I'm way more likely to stick with a game if I own a legit copy instead of emulating, I don't know why that is though.

PS1 emulation has been solved for at least a decade now... Hell, PS2 emulation is practically perfect and PS3 emulation is already making great strides, I don't know where the idea of bad emulation comes from...
Also, you don't want to support SE, but also want a legit copy?

I you don't want to play with cheats... Don't?
Disable the function or ignore it... I don't think you can cherry pick some features and ignore others...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Fri May 21, 2021 6:06 pm

I don't know what it was about the emulation, I was using a real PS1 disc and just wanted to play on PC for whatever reason, it was an issue with the opening FMV when it was transitioning from the zoom out of Midgar, to the shots of the train. I dunno what caused it, might have been the emulator itself and I was just too impatient to try another one or something.
What I meant about not wanting to support SE is that they're kinda scummy now between publishing Balan Wonderworld and calling a reimagining fanfic of FF7 a "remake" and advertising it as such just to sell more copies. My meaning of "a legit copy" just meant a used PS1 copy, since my money would be going to the local game store or ebay seller and not SE. I suppose saying that doesn't really mean much for this conversation though, if I'm looking for a fan patch. If the best way to play it really is the Steam release with mods, I wouldn't mind buying it if it meant I got to experience a better translation, fewer bugs [mostly with a few of the armor and spells and stuff not working] and the cloning stuff being put back in. Sorry, barometric pressure's got my brain fried this week.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:21 pm

Final Fantasy IX being retold in anímated series:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... es/.174255
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm

Give FFIX the FFVII Remake treatment it deserves, you cowards. :shinji_coffee:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:19 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Give FFIX the FFVII Remake treatment it deserves, you cowards. :shinji_coffee:

I'd rather they start with VI :tongue:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:36 pm

We can at least agree that remaking their classic games as modern games is far preferable to having them summarized into episodic series and removing the game aspect of the property. Some of these stories are only so effective because the player has to pass milestones such as dungeon bosses in order to experience the next part of the story. Controlling and relating to the protagonist in a video game is much different to witnessing and relating to the protagonist of a film/series/etc.

But it's easy money. Something hardcore FF fans will eat up, and something that gives newcomers a chance to experience the classic story of a game that is probably older than they are and that they'll never play.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:52 pm

Agreed. I do wish that they updated and refine the sprite work in the Pixel Remasters. The Android ones look really awful.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:33 pm

You know why I love Final Fantasy VII?

It's a 90s work that redefines its genre and medium, with a main character who carries a lot of repressed teen angst and has been traumatized since before the start of the story, after a forgotten tragedy where someone close to him died.

It has a famous waifu war in its fandom. The first waifu is related to ancient supernatural elements, and dies before the end of the story, but is still present in the story after that, in a certain way, and she's right there, in a supernatural, magnificent way, at the very end of the story, in the center of the final apocalyptic event. The other waifu and the main character end up both alone in a landscape at a point very late in the story, where their relationship goes through an important moment. There's a secondary trio of characters, a girl and two guys, one of them loud and the other more calm, who are pushed aside when tragedy strikes.

There's a white haired angelic guy who is related to different, antagonistic supernatural extraterrestrial elements coming from one of the planet's poles, said elements taking the shape of horrific abominations. The main character's experiences with the angelic guy lead him to crippling catatonic depression, and a female character very close to him has to snap him out of it.

There's a series of mysterious abominations that have to be destroyed one by one. One of these is killed by a huge cannon powered by an entire chunk of the land people live in. There's mind-rape sequences. There was a giant impact on the surface of the planet that took place long before humans were ever a thing, where the supernatural elements arrived on the planet.

There's the presence of a lifeforce substance of a certain persistent signature color all over the story, and at the end of the second act of the story the main character disappears into it, starting a trippy mental journey into his own self while the rest of the cast has to go on without him for a while.

One of the villains is a man with glasses going all "JUST AS KEIKAKU" from behind the scenes with a personal stake on all the biologically supernatural stuff, and during the final act he combines himself with a sample of these elements. The main antagonist seeks to ascend to godhood through the lifeforce of the earth at the cost of everyone else's life.

The climax involves a sphere floating close to the planet causing monumental destruction.

The Remake has the angelic guy completely in full awareness of being in a Remake, and talks to the main character like so. Shows up much earlier in the story this time, too.

Wait, what Japanese IP was I talking about? :wink: :wink: :wink:
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:34 am

There are for sure a lot of parallels to be made between FF7 and another certain IP. I've often called FF7 the most late 90's anime ever, despite not being an anime per say.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:03 am

The Final Fantasy VII Remake project has masterfully handled....
SPOILER: Show
what looks to be the changing of important plot elements.

I love Eva but....the original FF7 guys have handled things better so far in revisiting this past work than even Anno himself, imo. :emogendo:

It just feels right, even when it lays themes on a bit thick it's like a guilty pleasure, a real tasty milkshake of content.

I think the FF7 Remake project works mostly because all of the main cast are exactly as you'd have expected them to be, only more so.
Don't be.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:14 pm

View Original PostXenoblade wrote:I love Eva but....the original FF7 guys have handled things better so far in revisiting this past work than even Anno himself, imo. :emogendo:

I personally couldn't disagree more, especially in context of what happens within FFVII Remake's last two chapters. Thats just me, however.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun May 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Beaten 6 for the first time after years of wanting to. Easily one of the best video game experiences I've had in a long while.

Would make a killer anime if all the stars align.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”