Currently Playing 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Currently Playing 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:28 pm

::KL7:: wrote:Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - I usually love anything LoZ related, but this game is hard to get into. Granted it’s still early on but even just watching the way Link runs throws me off on this game. I’ll stick with it and probably end up enjoying it.

SwS was what got me into Zelda way back when as a German letsplay on youtube; I need to give it another shot some time, I have very fond memories of the story, characters and overall vibe, see if it holds up
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:00 pm

::KL7:: wrote:
Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword - I usually love anything LoZ related, but this game is hard to get into. Granted it’s still early on but even just watching the way Link runs throws me off on this game. I’ll stick with it and probably end up enjoying it.

Star fox 64 via Nintendo online - Been replaying this game over and over just like I did in my youth, trying to remember how to unlock all the routes without looking online for tips. I’m happy with how this game still holds up and along with the other games included, was definitely worth the extra price for the n64/sega subscription.

I love picking up Star Fox 64 every now and then. Always have as much fun with it as I did in '98, though I think my last couple times playing it I've had trouble beating Andross' final brain form. Oh well. Still quote that game to my friends all the time (Uncle Andross, I failllled you *boom*)

Skyward Sword I really enjoyed when I played it on the Wii in 2015. They did some cool things with the Wiimote and the game seemed to have a fun, lowkey vibe. Every time I play a new Zelda though I feel like I'm always chasing the high I had playing Ocarina of Time for the first time.

-------------
At the moment I've been playing Halo Infinite multiplayer. There are some fantastic maps and a lot of the newly added weapons are a lot of fun. I've really been enjoying myself so far, but I basically love all the main Halo games, so I'll see if I stick with this one for a while or just go back to Halo 3

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:49 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I have very fond memories of the story, characters and overall vibe, see if it holds up

I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll end up enjoying it, I felt the same way when I started Breath of the wild and that turned out to be my favorite Switch game as of yet.

Joy Evangelion wrote:I love picking up Star Fox 64 every now and then. Always have as much fun with it as I did in '98, though I think my last couple times playing it I've had trouble beating Andross' final brain form. Oh well. Still quote that game to my friends all the time (Uncle Andross, I failllled you *boom*)

Skyward Sword I really enjoyed when I played it on the Wii in 2015. They did some cool things with the Wiimote and the game seemed to have a fun, lowkey vibe. Every time I play a new Zelda though I feel like I'm always chasing the high I had playing Ocarina of Time for the first time.

"Thanks Fox, I thought they had me."

I was just telling my wife my favorite Christmas memory is of getting LoZ Ocarina of Time for Christmas. Poor people of Hyrule had to suffer while I went fishing with my sinking lure. Hahaha.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:00 am

Throw me in the pile playing Skyward Sword. Loved it nearly a decade later after I first played it in 2013. It's not the best Zelda, but it's a lot of fun. I definitely had more fun with Wind Waker HD, Majora's Mask 3D and the Link's Awakening remake from 2019 though, and not based on nostalgia, just pure gameplay.
Don't be.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:36 pm

^ Figured I wouldn’t get a lot of game time in if I jump between games, so I decided to focus entirely on god of war. Great story so far, different gameplay mechanics then the original and a lot tougher. Loving the story, but missing the wild hack and slash from the original.

Skyward sword is next after god of war, then Dbz kakarot (Christmas gift).

A little bit of Fortnite and rocket league in between. :)

Edit*

Just finished God of War and man am I in love with this series again. The storytelling, the gameplay, the characters. Now unsure whether to complete all the side quests or on to the next game. All I can say is I am looking forward to Ragnarok.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 looks marvellous. I feel like Evangelion+video game fans who don't give this series a shot are doing themselves no favours. It's the bee's knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iNpDKuYb8
Don't be.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:33 pm

Yeah, the trailer has me quite excited. I still need to give 2 a shot before that, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with 1
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:15 pm

I won't really know how to feel about Xenoblade 3 until I play it, since I think this series has been kind of all over the place. I thought Xenoblade 1 was a fairly middling bordering on outright bad game (Especially Wii version), but despite some some issues (Some of which I think have been patched since launch?) I enjoyed Xenoblade 2 substantially more. Torna DLC was somewhere in between both of those for me.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:32 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, if you're interested, here's the release date trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles 3 in all its splendour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9pfN-2S0k
Don't be.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:15 am

Tony Hawk Pro Skater (1999) PS1

Great game, had me enjoying the stunts and side quests in each of the first two courses which is as far as I got.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:51 pm

I guess this is the best thread for it in lack of a Dead Space thread, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcJ-C-JEG4w

Dead Space suit designer says his design was inspired by the Eva units, in particular the now infamous spinal cord LED was incorporating an entry plug.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:01 am

New to Xbox (series S/X).

Anyone have any recommendations? Honestly I’ve always been ps/Nintendo person and have never even touched an Xbox controller, but my wife told me she ordered me the console for my birthday. Im thinking Gears 5 looks pretty good. Any other recommendations on games worth playing?

Also took a break from gaming. Was supposed to play dbz kakarot and LoZ according to my last post… but all I’ve played lately has been Elden ring on ps4 and cyberpunk on PC.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:18 pm

Watched a friend play Signalis; game good, highly recommend it. Gets rather EoE in a lot of places.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:40 am

So about that Xenoblade DLC trailer, huh

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:14 am

It's marvelous. It's time to buy the DLC and surpass the 170 hours I've played.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:21 am

There are SO MANY IMPLICATIONS

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 am

Might be the first bit of actual good Xenoblade 3 content.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:26 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:There are SO MANY IMPLICATIONS

I see you must be lost in thought just like me! :lol:
Seeing Shulk and Rex together brought me to tears. I'm also preparing myself emotionally, I'm sure the fate of these new characters isn't very happy, you know...

Also, that little callback: Future Redeemed... Future Connected...
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:06 am

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:Might be the first bit of actual good Xenoblade 3 content.

I wouldn't go that far, I had a pretty good time with the story; I'd put it as the weakest of the three mainline games, and unlike 1 and 2 it definitely needs the DLC to elaborate on some parts of it, but I wouldn't call it bad.
My one big hope is that it doesn't try to do anything particularily Subversive™ and ends up shooting itself in the foot in the process; the themes towards the end of the main game are sort of on wonky footing depending on how charitably you want to read some of the things shown.
Big ol endgame spoilers  SPOILER: Show
The ending leaves one very structurally unsatisfying point in that it completely undoes all the preparation for the worlds splitting back apart that the party did in the end, and they don't even remember their parting words to each other (much less the recipe that Taion gave Eunie, which is deliberately set up to survive the unmerge), which combined with the fact that not merging the worlds in favor of preserving the status quo is the better choice, i.e. a merge presents too large a risk, effectively puts up the claim that Z was secretly right all along in saying that change is bad (and would also fundamentally ruin against the core theme and gameplay mechanic of bringing the two worlds together into one); now, I am very much hoping that the writers are more competent than going with that route.
But even aside from just obvious fuckups, the game does need to address that to some extent, to not leave that entire promise hanging, while also needing to explain a number of elephants in the room, most pressingly where the fuck Pyra, Mythra and Dromarch are if Nia is there; everyone else (apart from Firoa assuming she still retains some part of Meyneth's divine powers) could be handwaved, but that's the Aegis and something directly linked to Nia's life force there, so those don't go over without damn good explanation as to why they were not there for the main story

...that ended up a lot more negative than I intended it to sound, I did have a pretty fun time with the game, and I am expecting good things out of the dlc; if it plays its card right, the final score for the narrative could easily be as high as a 9 for me

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:38 pm

SPOILER: Show
I think we'll get answers to what happened to some characters like best girls Pyra and Mythra, but I doubt we'll get like further elaborating on how the merging/unmerging works barring some goofy time travel or something to take our band of prequel heroes into the future (Then again the title of the DLC does literally mention the future lol, but so did Future Connected). If they do somehow retcon the base game so the worlds stay merged, that would be pretty crazy and at least make XB3 not feel like such a glorified gaiden game IMHO.

I really didn't like how the unmerging storyline played out tbh. It kind of feels like Takahahsi's lol Gnositicism, lol fight the Demiurge, lol escape the prison world thing bit him in the foot here to some extent and lessened impact of the game rather than elevating it. There's theoretically interesting parallel to be made between Gnostic theology and war economy and such, but yeah it just makes a lot of what you actually spend entire game doing feel meaningless. Which I guess illustrates Gnostic belief and really would only work if this was like weird critique of 2000 year old world view only nerds care about. And I don't think the story quite plays out in that fashion anyways.

I think biggest problems in XB3 for me are the combat being a step down from XB2's by like a lot, and both the main party and villains were just not very compelling to me throughout most of the game (Chapter 5 drama being really one of the few times I really felt much for what was going on, but even for that I think the build up to it from the rest of the game isn't great).

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”