So I should go ahead and watch the Rebuilds right?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: So I should go ahead and watch the Rebuilds right?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:15 pm

View Original PostOutlawThirds wrote:(Oh dear, I thought those where inline spoiler tags, that formatting is bad. --Ed)

Maybe you would prefer to use the "[ hide ]" tag that no one seems to know about. Something like this for instance.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:52 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original PostOutlawThirds#932847 wrote:Thanks all. I watched 2.x. As far as I can tell, my life is not ruined. Will watch the rest in due time.

The big hit is yet to come...

I think the only way you can really satisfactorily enjoy the rebuild is if you watch 3.33 and Shin Eva back to back. Dragging it out too long, just leaves too many preconceived notions and expectations, without the delivery of the final punch. This is what happened to many of us waiting for the last movie to come out for so many years, building so angst towards understanding how the finale will end based on the trajectory of the previous movies. Just pull it off quick like a bandaid IMO.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm

dzzthink wrote:I think the only way you can really satisfactorily enjoy the rebuild is if you watch 3.33 and Shin Eva back to back.

I'd definitely do this if possible. I was planning to watch everything Eva related and finally watch Shin to complete it. But with a 3 year old and a 1 year old now, I was lucky to finish the movie the same day. :facepalm:

OutlawThirds wrote:2.x.was an interesting take

You don't seem to put off by it yet. The more I think about it though, the more I can see Axx°N N.'s reluctance to watch it right away. I think you'll be in the same state of WTF is going on as when watching EoE, not in a bad way, but this is different, way.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:34 pm

View Original PostOutlawThirds wrote: In fact, giving Rei more agency was great too. Her ill fated charge against Zuriel in the original is just absolutely depressing-sure, it comes from a place of heroism, but also a self destructive drive. The line where she says she's doing it to avoid Shinji being forced to pilot again... that was heartwarming/breaking. She just got a whole lot of development in this one. The moment where she tells Unit 02 to stand back before she blows it was a little touch of professionalism that really sold the character.

I will say that 2.0's depiction of Rei II is my favorite depiction of her in the entire franchise. That's at least one thing Rebuild did better than NGE.
[Redacted]

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:56 am

Ok, I went ahead and watched 3.x and Shin Eva. I wasn't disappointed, especially with the village sequence which was stellar, Misato's redemption and subsequent saving of the world with Ryutsko was a good resolution, as was Shinji finally having that talk with Gendo they'd both always needed.

The action scenes got a little too Shmuppy for me, and I would have appreciated, especially in Shin, Asuka being given something more interesting to do with her talents. What I appreciate about Eva's action is how impactful it is-it's consequential for the characters and to sell that theme it is always physically devastating for the participants and bystanders. That was kinda abandoned in Shin in favor of giant CGI swarms getting daka'd. If Asuka was going to turn into a giant rainbow angel I would have liked to see an actual fight with it instead of just whaling on an AT field. In fact the most violent scene wasn't an Eva fight, but instead when Asuka crams some food down Shinji's throat.

They gave Rei a really cool sequence in the Village. It was like Bladerunner or Data's entire arc in Star Trek, but done better. She knows she'll die if she stays but chooses to live out her remaining life as a human being instead of returning to life as a faceless mook. She didn't run away. When she tanged, I felt that. Is the baby doll long-haired-rei is holding inside instrumentality meant to indicate that some part of Lookalike has carried on? That would run counter to the idea of Lookalike wanting her own name. Shinji never gave her one.

I still have no idea who Mari is (another clone pilot?) or what the point of her was. She did take the action moments away from Asuka and taking the divine feminine moments away from Rei, which was probably intentional but I don't get why.

SPOILER: Show
I'm, for now, fully in on the notion that the rebuilds are the world people manifested after EoE and that they healed themselves just enough to earn a happy ending in this iteration.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:46 pm

^ Nice review, it shows that 3.0+1.0 is still fresh in your mind. I’m curious what you thought about some of the developments in 3.33, such as.

Time skip
The hate towards Shinji
Kaworu
The Wunder
The final Angel/Eva battle
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:11 pm

Ha, yeah, 3.x is less fresh in my mind but I'll give it a shot.

The time skip worked from a narrative perspective but they lacked the conviction to age most of the characters. I have to cynically assume that this was because those characters have become a brand and changing their appearance in that way would hurt the brand. However it did open up the ability to really change the world around, and I liked that, that was needed to do something different with the story.

I liked the idea of the Wunder (Misato gets something she can personally use rather than forcing people to fight for her and the sequence introducing it rocked my socks. I liked that Misato and Ritsuko have repaired their relationship, and that the bridge creware still around.

So the whole idea of Wille, the people, that was awesome, loved it. The design of the Wunder? It's confused and ugly and I didn't enjoy looking at it. I can't tell what they where going for with it. It does not look like NERV Tech (bumpy rounded gray stuff with jet engines and glorious panel lines) or like Eva tech (a guy in a rubber suit with boldly painted armor plates.) It's got so much going on it resists my attempts to parse the design language, and that's before you even reach the satellite dishes on top.

Everyone being mad at Shinji: Until this point, the conflict has been run away vs don't run away. Now everyone is like 'don't you dare pilot an Eva!' It's a fun contrast. The DSS choker worked as a symbol. Misato unable to blow Shinji up was a heartwrenching scene and I probably grasped when he got out of range. We, the audience, know Shinji won't explode but we don't know if Misato is going to cross a moral event horizon here. It reminded me of, of all things, Hot Fuzz. Is their fear of him justified? Well yeah. If they'd treated him better and been less afraid of him, could they have kept him from piloting again? Yeah, probably. But that type of people failing to communicate with disasterous results is what Eva is all about!

I liked that we got some time for Shinji's attachment to Kaworu to feel justified. Making Seele's double cross clearer made his character make more sense. Walking around the ruins of Nerv HQ was poignant imagery. Piano duets where sweet.

Which made it all the more painful when Kaworu realized he's sent Shinji in the wrong direction in the final fight. Asuka/Shinji-bowl was a neat enough martial arts fight but from Eva I expect some dismemberment so it felt a bit nerfed, so to speak. Same Worf problem that Shin had: we want Asuka to be a badass fighter because it's what she does, but if she wins there's no story so she can never win. However, we did get Asuka coming in to save Wunder, and her making sure to eject Lookalike before ripping Vessel Of Adam (?) a new one shows some growth and nuance vs her more berserk earlier incarnation.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:08 am

View Original PostOutlawThirds wrote:The time skip worked from a narrative perspective but they lacked the conviction to age most of the characters. I have to cynically assume that this was because those characters have become a brand and changing their appearance in that way would hurt the brand. However it did open up the ability to really change the world around, and I liked that, that was needed to do something different with the story.

It was fun reading your thoughts!
About the non-aging, it could be a brand thing, but I have no issue with it cause the "Curse of Eva" has a function in the story, showing which characters are far from becoming adults/are still carrying around stuff from their past.

Btw, the doll Rei is holding at the end of Shin Eva has "Tsubame" written on her; Touji's daughter.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:01 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
Btw, the doll Rei is holding at the end of Shin Eva has "Tsubame" written on her; Touji's daughter.

I suppose we're meant to ponder that.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:00 pm

View Original PostOutlawThirds wrote:The design of the Wunder? It's confused and ugly and I didn't enjoy looking at it.

Glad that OutlawThirds largely enjoyed the Rebuilds but puzzled at this reaction to the Wunder, perhaps the most awesome-looking Autonomous Assault Ark to ever grace the skies.

OutlawThirds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OutlawThirds » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:32 pm

It's just got so much going on... maybe it's in a dialogue with different media that I haven't consumed, no amount of western scifi prepared me for that design. I've warmed up to it a bit, it's not uncool, it's just got at least four distinct aspects to it (spaceship catamaran outrigger things with turrets, a bird body with feathery wings and a beak, a ribcage looking dorsal... thing and satellite dishes for good measure.

I just don't understand (yet?) how that design is meant to tell the story of the ship, what it means to the plot and characters. Compare the design of Unit 1: it's cool but very, very villian coded.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”