GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:16 am

I have the Standard Edition, and the rumors are true: No subs for the deleted scene.

I'm not sure why this is the case, as both the EoE trailer that uses the deleted live-action footage as well as the making-of documentary about the live-action scene have English subtitles.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Here are some English and French softsubs for the deleted scene; timing may be slightly off, as they were made for a different source than the new BDs:

https://cassland.org/words/End%20of%20Evangelion,%20cut%20live%20scene%20(softsubs).ENG.ass
https://cassland.org/words/End%20of%20Evangelion,%20cut%20live%20scene%20(softsubs).FRE.ass

I can't speak for their accuracy, but they work for me...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:11 pm

I couldn't help but pick it up today when I saw it at Best Buy lol, it's still insane to me just how easily accessible the series is now. So I thought I'd post about some of the more interesting aspects and go into the special features for you guys.
-The series itself is identical to the netflix release, even down to the weird ass translation of "Third Children" and Kaworu's dialogue in the shower room going unchanged from the netflix version. Which, I only half expected them to do so, but I'm still a bit surprised they didn't change it at all after the backlash from the fans.
-The bonuses are a FUCKING TREASURE TROVE man, like the total inverse of the ADV releases. Genesis 0:0 is super cool, it's like an introduction to the series and characters but with some extra trivia thrown in there like how Rei smells a bit like hospital antiseptic and Misato was partially inspired by Fujiko from Lupin. Weirdly, the bonus content isn't on it's own disc, but is spread out across the last three main discs. It is all in chronological order though, so that's super cool.
-None of the bonus stuff was remastered or anything, and the commercials are in particularly bad shape. Still decent, but no different than what you can find on youtube.
-Japanese cast audition audio is amazing. We get to hear Hayashibara scream as Rei. Weirdly there's no audition audio for Ogata as Shinji though, we only get Rei, Asuka, Misato, Ritsuko, and Gendo, in that order.
-That awesome full music video for A Cruel Angel's Thesis that uses footage from both the series and End of Evangelion is included here, which is crazy awesome because that shit gets nuked from youtube like every time it's posted. I can't remember if it was originally official and was on a rare ADV DVD release or sumn, or if it was fanmade, but it sure as hell is official now!
-The second disc that has extras on it is all animatics with no dialogue and scant sound effects. Rad for the ultra-hardcore, but that's about all.
-Genesis 0:0' is just a glorified commercial for Death & Rebirth, unless there's something at the end I skipped past.
-We all know by now that the EoE live action sequence has no subs, which is super weird because literally everything else DOES, even the frickin commercials.
-The End of Evangelion final scene alternate take is just Asuka's alternate line instead of "Pathetic." "Idiot, there's no way I'd let myself be killed by a worm like you," which is even more harsh and I'm really glad they changed it lol
-Mutsunde Hiraite is the full version of that creepy children's song in the background when Shinji is at the park inside his mind building a sandNERV with those two dolls. It's kinda neat ig
-The partial animatic for ep25' Love is Destructive is way cooler than the other animatics. It starts at the JSSDF raid of NERV HQ with placeholder music from the series, and goes until the end of the Air on G sequence. A lot of shots used finished or almost finished animation. No real differences I can see from the final movie myself.
And that's pretty much it. Shit's not perfect, but it's still above and beyond for what I'd expect from a US BD release of the series. God knows fuckimation would have done nowhere near this fantastic of a job. This is the ideal way to own a physical copy of everything Neon Genesis.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:20 am

"Third Children" was originally a Gainax insistence, against logic, but fairly quickly got dumped. Why Khara have resurrected it I have no idea - put it down to some sort of inscrutability, I suppose.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:14 am

I think Khara might have resurrected its insistence on NGE's "First Children" labeling because one of the changes in NTE's branding was calling them "First Child." Seeing as how the labeling is one of those subtle differences between the two canons, they might feel as though that subtle difference needs to be reflected in foreign localizations of both properties as well. While I'm sure these creative decisions sound cool and mysterious in Japan, and I completely understand the artistic intent behind the labeling in Japan, "First Children" just sounds distracting in English-speaking cultures. I'm not sure of there's any other way to localize the Eva property as a whole while still keeping the subtle differences between the canons, though.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:28 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I'm not sure of there's any other way to localize the Eva property as a whole while still keeping the subtle differences between the canons, though.

^^ This. I'll never understand people who always default to dubs, Japanese is hard enough to translate into English and impossible to do so completely accurately, trying to do so while matching the timing of lines and lip flaps without going out of your way to edit the shit out of the footage like Team Four Star is a fool's errand. NGE in particular is so immensely nuanced that I wouldn't be surprised if EoE and 3.0+1.0 made perfect sense during the first watch for most Japanese audiences. And even IF the translation team does their damnedest, there's always a chance the original team will veto certain translations for some weird shit like the "Children" designation for the pilots.
The Kaworu lines in the showers [oh boy here we go again] are a perfect example of how wrong things can go when trying to translate such differing languages for mass audiences. The original ADV translation, "I love you" was wrong, but the VSI translation for netflix, "I like you" is ALSO wrong, equally so. This argument has been brought up a ton, but the word Kaworu uses, "suki", could mean like or love depending on the context it's used in. English arguably has equivalents, I still personally would have made it, "I'm saying, I'm interested in you", because it's just as ambiguous, but still can imply romantic attraction. BUT, that ain't fit the mouth flaps, so out the window. It's just a mess man. No disrespect to dub-lovers, but subs are always more accurate, even in the case of a fantastic dub like Cowboy Bebop or Panty and Stocking. Just because the performances are godlike doesn't mean the script is perfect.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Well, even the localization via subs is a little awkward. Sure, while you don’t have to hear the word “Children” being grammatically cringe, you still have to read it, and that’s weird no matter what.

There are just some parts of Japanese shows where you have to throw your hands up and shrug “Well, I guess it sounded cool to Japanese audiences,” and leave it at that.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:00 pm

Yup, any time I'm playing something that wasn't written in my country in my language, it always feels like I'm experiencing it through a dirty window. Like I get most of it but I can always feel that it's not entirely the same, I'm missing some stuff inevitably.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:57 am

Wow, I'm shocked and honestly agitated they didn't sub the deleted scene. Why even include it, what's the point? And why take the effort to sub the behind the scenes of it but not what it's behind the scenes of?

I can only hope this is a mistake and they maybe send replacement discs, or something--or that it being subtitled is, inscrutably, considered a "premium edition only" thing. I've contacted them and will report back.

Very glad to hear the two Genesis specials, voice auditions, and even the 30-second next-time previews are subtitled, though.
Après moi le déluge!

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:56 pm

Well, now GKids has gone and delayed the Ultimate Edition sets until January because of "supply issues". I don't know why they didn't prepare the Ultimate Editions before the cheaper sets, I spent more money on mine than others did for the cheaper versions, I, and the other Ultimate Edition owners, should have taken precedent. They should have delayed the entire rollout of all editions until they were all available to ship.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:32 am

lol, the same thing happened with the Likited Edition Utena boxset when that came out a couple years ago. I ordered that too.

It’s all my fault guys. I must be cursed.

heavyR
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby heavyR » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:58 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:lol, the same thing happened with the Likited Edition Utena boxset when that came out a couple years ago. I ordered that too.

It’s all my fault guys. I must be cursed.

Glad someone finally taking responsibility.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I have the Standard Edition, and the rumors are true: No subs for the deleted scene.

I'm not sure why this is the case, as both the EoE trailer that uses the deleted live-action footage as well as the making-of documentary about the live-action scene have English subtitles.

This scene apparence in EoE trailer

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:44 pm

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever#932446 wrote:This scene apparence in EoE trailer

Makes you wonder if the removal of that scene happened very close to the final cut of the movie... It's pretty long and obviously a good amount of effort went into filming it for it to end in the cutting room floor.
Did it made the trailers because it was still in at that point? Did they use it for the trailers as to not waste it completely?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Exactly if exist director's cut ver. of EoE probally this scene has added.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:34 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Did they use it for the trailers as to not waste it completely?

That was always what I assumed. It seemed pretty deliberate as a bait and switch how they ended up utilising it, how weird it was that the trailer was not only live-action but all these scenes that weren't in the film itself. Really fitting marketing and honestly, I like that trailer more than the 11 min version.
Après moi le déluge!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:04 am

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Makes you wonder if the removal of that scene happened very close to the final cut of the movie... It's pretty long and obviously a good amount of effort went into filming it for it to end in the cutting room floor.
Did it made the trailers because it was still in at that point? Did they use it for the trailers as to not waste it completely?

I’m not entirely sure. It’s weird because they’re technically two different modes of production happening for EoE. Do you have the animated production pipeline, which is meant to cut out unnecessary scenes in the storyboard/animatic phase of production. (This is designed to that money isn’t being spent on animation that won’t be shown to audiences.) Then you have the live-action production model, which is structured around filming as much things as possible on the day of filming while you have your actors, and then deciding in the editing room after the fact what darts and what vets cut out. (This is designed to ensure that money isn’t being spent on getting actors back for reshoots after the editing phase.)

It’s two entirely different philosophies of filmmaking all crammed into producing one single feature-length film. While that’s mind-blowingly cool and all, it does mean that I have absolutely no idea what they were thinking at any point of any part of either forms of production.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:52 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Well, now GKids has gone and delayed the Ultimate Edition sets until January because of "supply issues".

Well, here in the UK, AllTheAnime haven't changed the release date on their web site, so maybe the problem is local to the US.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Actually, I didn't read down - this could be a bit of explanation:
RELEASE DATE: 6th December 2021 - All pre-orders placed before August 21st will be shipped on that date. Orders placed after August 21st are likely to be shipped in January 2022.

So the early birds will get it on time (like me ;) ), and latecomers have to wait a bit...

Into the Eva-Verse
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Into the Eva-Verse » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:02 pm

Just got an email from Shout! Factory. The Collector's Edition has shipped!
“Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy. As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.”
--Yui Ikari, End of Evangelion

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”