A mediocre Future (Will future Eva be Shallow without The Director?)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Zer0_Stars_DS
Embryo

A mediocre Future (Will future Eva be Shallow without The Director?)

•      
  •      

Postby Zer0_Stars_DS » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:42 am

The Director has stated that he puts everything he finds fascinating into Eva. As a result, Eva is incredibly visually dense, jam-packed with symbolism, visual puns, pedantic nerdery, and shout-outs to other media. He also says that if a shot looks ordinary he does it again and again until it looks… well UNordinary. The symbolism I mentioned refers mostly to the characters in how their arcs progress and resolve. They’re not openly stating how the characters turn out in certain moments all the time but if you pay attention to the symbolism then you’ll know. They can also nod to what a character or their actions represent. And don't forget the layers upon layers of character for each character as well.

All these things are what makes Eva so compelling. So here’s the question: now that The Director is gone, moved to the world of live action, who will take his place? And more importantly will new Eva live up to The Director’s expectations? Only a small handful of hardcore fans have been able to write compelling fics that carry Eva’s original flavor. But what if the next director cannot uphold Eva’s reputation? What then? What do you think? Is Eva's future going to high or low?

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: A mediocre Future (Will future Eva be Shallow without The Director?)

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:19 am

It could go either way. To be honest, from what I've seen of the 4th rebuild film, it seems like Anno was starting to run out of good ideas for the franchise anyhow. I'd say the chances of future eva being mediocre vs being good are roughly 60/40. That goes up to 80/20 if any western or westernized companies get involved in its development.

I'd like to see Bandai-Namco do a reboot/AU of the series with somewhat lighter themes and a larger cast of pilots/evas, if only because it means we'd have a much better chance of getting a home console Eva game with an international release (and much less expensive Eva figures). I still want an Evangelion tactical 3rd-person shooter.
[Redacted]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:37 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:It could go either way. To be honest, from what I've seen of the 4th rebuild film, it seems like Anno was starting to run out of good ideas for the franchise anyhow.

The hardest disagree on that.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Zer0_Stars_DS
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zer0_Stars_DS » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:56 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:It could go either way. To be honest, from what I've seen of the 4th rebuild film, it seems like Anno was starting to run out of good ideas for the franchise anyhow. I'd say the chances of future eva being mediocre vs being good are roughly 60/40. That goes up to 80/20 if any western or westernized companies get involved in its development.

He wasn't running out of ideas, he wanted to convey a specific message. What they can do is pretty much limitless but it'll all depend on execution in the end so yeah, western companies should just stay in their lane.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm

It doesn't seem like Eva will return in the same vein. If there is a new director it would be drastically different, perhaps focussing more on the action side of Eva battles.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:26 pm

I do wonder to whom he would leave his legacy?
Kazuya Tsurumaki was the director for the remakes
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto has never directed but clearly has a story to tell (manga)
Shinji Higuchi has the talent to atempt a tokusatsu version (more life action) most noticeble he wasn't really involved with the rebuilds but was heavily involced in the original series and end of evangelion

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”