Whats next for evangelion?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
justyourlocalme
Embryo

Whats next for evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby justyourlocalme » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:08 pm

3.0 + 1.0 may be the last rebuild, but it cant be the end. Does anyone know whats next for eva?
"Ritsuko Akagi, I truly,"

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Whats next for evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:42 am

A Netflix live-action adaptation.

Kidding, but who's to say that Eva is immune to this treatment. We also have possibilities with a spin-off from Rebuild, although a series without Shinji or a re-iteration of the same thing lacks any real gravitas.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:52 pm

I'm hoping for a video game that's not a dating sim.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:07 am

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:I'm hoping for a video game that's not a dating sim.

Then you misunderstood Evangelion completely. :) jk

I agree, I would actually enjoy an Evangelion video game, does anyone know if there is one in the works? Or why there aren’t many Evangelion fighting/action games for console/PC I seem to recall a couple of older ones and I believe I’ve heard of a VR Evangelion game, but Ive always wondered why there aren’t any (correct me if I’m wrong) recent games? (PS3 and up).

Is there any chance we get a Kensuke/Asuka spin off? Or Learning word meanings by Farmer Rei? Man I could watch Rei, and a couple old ladies in a bath tub for hours, and I mean that in the least perverted way possible.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:22 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:I agree, I would actually enjoy an Evangelion video game, does anyone know if there is one in the works? Or why there aren’t many Evangelion fighting/action games for console/PC I seem to recall a couple of older ones and I believe I’ve heard of a VR Evangelion game, but Ive always wondered why there aren’t any (correct me if I’m wrong) recent games? (PS3 and up).

There was an Evangelion pachinko game for PS3 and a port of Raising Rei Ayanami for 3DS (or maybe it was DS). That's about it.

But yeah, I'd love it if they made some action games or shooters for consoles. There's actually a really nice-looking Eva shooter that just came out in 2020 (Evangelion: Battlefields), but its a mobile game and Japan-only. Quoting myself from another post in another topic:
I'd like to see Bandai-Namco do a reboot/AU of the series with somewhat lighter themes and a larger cast of pilots/evas, if only because it means we'd have a much better chance of getting a home console Eva game with an international release (and much less expensive Eva figures). I still want an Evangelion tactical 3rd-person shooter.
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Redacted]

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:06 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:Or why there aren’t many Evangelion fighting/action games for console/PC I seem to recall a couple of older ones and I believe I’ve heard of a VR Evangelion game, but Ive always wondered why there aren’t any (correct me if I’m wrong) recent games? (PS3 and up).

I think it boils down to profit maximization. The last couple Eva games have either been Pachinko or ports on consoles (as mentioned) or phone games with gatcha elements/tie-in merchandising. These are all development methods which see high gaps between profit and effort/time investment. I think the way the industry is, tie-in games for licensed franchises aren't seen as worth the heavier investment of something like an RPG or fighting game.
Après moi le déluge!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Whatever happens after rebuild, I hope the next film/series/whatever introduces a new cast. NGE gave us Shinji, Rei and Asuka, and showed the trauma they went through. Rebuild gave us a rehash of the same characters going through similar arcs. It's been 26 years of the same three pilots being tortured. I like the three of them, but after the end of Rebuild, I never want to see them again unless it's in a video game. Not sure I can sit through another 10+ hours of the Shinji/Rei/Asuka dynamic again.
[Redacted]

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:08 pm

I'm sure it would be tolerable to watch, but I agree, Eva needs to break away from its established cast and show that the themes of the show can very much work with different worlds and people, lest it share the fate of Getter Robo of just living off of references to an increasingly dated original and fading into obscurity as a result.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:44 pm

dang, I'd really like a shooter game in the Eva world myself.

Still....a semi interesting story could come about with some kind of alien invasion...with an aged Shinji forced to find a way to rebuild the Eva's or an Eva-like technology in order to combat the alien bio-mechas... but I'm afraid that's a well trodden path. Of course watching Shinji squirm a little in the "Gendo" role might be interesting. Just have to wait and see what happens I guess. Too many changes and it might lose it's flavor but I'm willing to give anything a try if it's well thought out.....

SPOILER: Show
unlike my cockamamy idea of course
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:35 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Whatever happens after rebuild, I hope the next film/series/whatever introduces a new cast.
I quite agree; it would avoid the process of the characters becoming caricatures through endless re-imaginings. With the Gundam analogy from the Anno's original "become a tale" statement, while the finality of the existing endings make a "NGE Ζ" or larger "NGE UC" less likely, there is some scope for alternate takes in the space between NGE and the other super-robots that were clearly influenced by the zeitgeist in one way or another, so long as there is some agreement as to what the common threads are.

That will be the thing that requires some subtlety. Just having psychologically weird alien monstrosity of the week and depressed pilots (hello, Fafner) aren't as clear a delimiter as Earthnoid/Colonial conflicts and a masked adversary are.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:51 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That will be the thing that requires some subtlety. Just having psychologically weird alien monstrosity of the week and depressed pilots (hello, Fafner) aren't as clear a delimiter as Earthnoid/Colonial conflicts and a masked adversary are.

I quite agree; trying to nail down what constitutes a hypothetical AU Eva story based on tropes and storybeats like that is the first step in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned, it's far more about the general vibe and underlying themes than a checklist of things. Of course, some degree of giant robots (using the term "robot" here for anything from a Jaeger to something purely mechanical like an AoT titan - a mech is defined by much more than just the amount of metal parts in it), mental health problems and unknown species are going to be involved, but at that point you're describing a solid half of the genre.
One of my favorite thought experiments in that regard is that if you just swap out some of the terminoligy in the original Pacific Rim, you would have a more than worthy Eva AU. The stories are quite different, but enough of the key themes are understood in the same way that it would not at all feel out of place.
It's arguably the most iconic aspect of it, but not even the biblical imagery would be strictly necessary for an Eva story.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:there is some scope for alternate takes in the space between NGE and the other super-robots that were clearly influenced by the zeitgeist in one way or another, so long as there is some agreement as to what the common threads are.

I'd consider these to be the common threads of the franchise:

-Cyborg mechs called Evangelions with roughly consistent visual aesthetic.
-Supernatural enemies of some sort.
-Interaction between pilots' souls and their Evas.
-Religious imagery (not necessarily Judeochristian, but that does help as it's in the name of the franchise and its titular mechs).
-A constant/recurring Gendo-like figure.
-Progenitor Deities/Seeds of Life in some form or another.
-Big red spear macguffin.

This still leaves plenty of room to play around with the story, setting, characters, themes, etc. Just spitballing a few ideas here:

Concept 1  SPOILER: Show
It is the year 2515. For the past 200 years, Earth and Mars have coexisted under a unified government... until recently. The charismatic politician and scientist Ryoji Ikari has discovered a "living god" named Adam deep beneath the surface of Mars. Proclaiming himself Adam's prophet, he's recruited millions of followers and set up a rebel government on Mars. Earth sent their war fleet to crush the rebellion. Ikari countered with new superweapons he claims were a gift from Adam: Cyborg mechs called "Angels". Vastly superior to Earth's starfighters, the Angels have achieved space superiority and reduced earth's fleet to 25% strength. But all hope is not lost: A ship carrying Martian defectors has reached Earth and given Earth's government a sample of Adam's tissue and some badly-damaged Angels. Using the samples, the newly-founded defense agency NERV has created their own "living god" Eve, and from her and the reverse-engineering of the Angels, Earth's last hope: the cyborg mech superweapon Evangelion.

Concept 2  SPOILER: Show
The UN delved too greedily and too deep. Seeking to dig a borehole directly to the earth's mantle, they've accidentally dug a gigantic hole into hell. Though they've managed to seal it off about halfway down, the seal is deteriorating. Using their paranormal defense agency NERV, they've constructed a massive military research complex around the seal: the Geofront. At this facility, using instructions found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, they've constructed cyborg mechs called Evangelions which are capable of destroying even the largest of demons. Now it's time for NERV to go to hell. Their mission: destroy all demons, and slay Lucifer with the Spear of Longinus.
[Redacted]

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:46 am

Well there could a lot a possibilities about what could the next Evangelion work: there could release some kind of Rebuild's spin-off like manga and videogame, 3.0+1.0 could get some space in the plot of some possibile future Super Robot Wars's game, also Khara one day could make the animated adaptation of Evangelion ANIMA.

I wonder if can be possibile if sooner or later a Live Action could ever be released?

I remember that in a interview of 2016 Anno said that he wanted that Evangelion could becoming more like Gundam's franchise, so with multiple timeline/anime's series that doesn't interact with each other because they have different directors. So I guess that one day Anno will let the future of Evangelion in the hands of a new generation of directors that can be assumed by the Khara, if that really happens then we could even see a very different version of Shinji, the Evangelions and the rest of cast or can even be that we will not see Shinji, Asuka, Misato, Rei, Gendo ecc because the new directors will proposed a completely new cast.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 am

Well for now we need several production books, like CRC, storyboards etc. Really looking forward to that.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:01 am

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:34 pm

Seemingly we don't have a thread for general merchandise release discussion, so here goes.

https://www.eva-project.jp/pachi-eva_fan_cp2023/

Pachinko artwork  SPOILER: Show

This new pachinko features artwork that is... obviously derived from NGE, not NTE. Asuka (Sohryu?) has properly reddish hair, not Shikinami's strawberry blonde. I'm pretty sure those are the NGE plugsuits and Evas too. And Mari is nowhere to be seen. As I'm sure you all know, merchandising trends have shifted massively over the years and they were always done to reflect fan preference and thus market demand. Now that NTE is over, have fans lost interest in it and returned to the overaching NGE legacy? Moreover, pachinko has long been the No. 1 source of merch income and in a way is a major advertisement for the overall franchise. While this could of course be just merch, it could indicate market trends. After all, during the 2007-2021 period when NTE was "the face" of the overall Evangelion franchise, pretty much all merch reflected its aesthetics. Mari's enlargement in the story was driven by fan demand, then she was pretty popular in merch after 2.0 released, likewise for Kaworu's own outsized (in comparison to NGE) role in 3.0. Then NTE was reflected in merch up for another decade.

I used to fully expect some more OVAs like -46h for at least the near future, but not only was that rather underwhelming, can little signs such as this indicate a different interest on Khara's part?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:48 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:This new pachinko features artwork that is... obviously derived from NGE, not NTE. Asuka (Sohryu?) has properly reddish hair, not Shikinami's strawberry blonde. I'm pretty sure those are the NGE plugsuits and Evas too. And Mari is nowhere to be seen. As I'm sure you all know, merchandising trends have shifted massively over the years and they were always done to reflect fan preference and thus market demand. Now that NTE is over, have fans lost interest in it and returned to the overaching NGE legacy? Moreover, pachinko has long been the No. 1 source of merch income and in a way is a major advertisement for the overall franchise. While this could of course be just merch, it could indicate market trends. After all, during the 2007-2021 period when NTE was "the face" of the overall Evangelion franchise, pretty much all merch reflected its aesthetics. Mari's enlargement in the story was driven by fan demand, then she was pretty popular in merch after 2.0 released, likewise for Kaworu's own outsized (in comparison to NGE) role in 3.0. Then NTE was reflected in merch up for another decade.

Honesyly, I feel it's just a case of a particular merchandise focusing on NGE. I mean, Khara continues to release a lot of NTE merchandise constantly (as you can see on Evastore).

At most, I think Khara will have more freedom to release both kind of merchandise (NTE and NGE) now.

PS: I don't think Khara has a reason to start ignoring NTE, since it seems to be pretty profitable.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clowncarcrash
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Clowncarcrash » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:04 am

I'm really surprised we haven't seen any new projects yet. To me, the ending to the Rebuilds was kind of gesturing we could see so many new alternate realities and creative takes on the world and the characters.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:38 pm

This is mostly because of franchise exhaustion at this point. Evangelion was EVERYWHERE in Japan, 3.0+1.0 was a huge sucesss, and all of that was 2 and a half year ago. 3.0+1.0 was on the media and they kept releasing statements and making events and all for over half a year. Eva showed up on Newtype and such again more than once, and this year again, and then we had those two OVAs. I think they're simply waiting for the right time to announce something.

Clowncarcrash
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Clowncarcrash » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:05 pm

Ah, it's hard for me to acknowledge franchise exhaustion when there was a nine year gap between 3.0 and 3.0 + 1.0. But maybe I'm not considering what it was like in Japan.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”