Arcane

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

Arcane

•      
  •      

Postby Practice » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:17 am

(If there's already a thread about Arcane that I overlooked, please point me in the right direction and delete this thread)

If you haven't seen Arcane, do yourself a favor and watch it! You don't need to know anything about League of Legends to watch it. I'll leave this first post spoiler free to hopefully entice you to watch it, but replies will have spoilers in them, so stop there.

I have to imagine a few of you have watched Arcane? I just binged it this weekend and need to discuss it just to process my feelings (and deal with "post series depression" :D )

I've played League since it came out, and I've been very critical of Riot over the years. When I heard they were making a show I thought I'd give it a shot, but went in with very low expectations. It blew me away.

The last time a show had this much of an impact on me was the first time I watched NGE, though for very different reasons. NGE will always be my favorite piece of art, of any medium, just due to personal reasons, like many others here.

Arcane isn't trying to portray psychological issues in a personal way like NGE does, but it does do a wonderful job of showing a character's trauma and what's essentially their descent into (somewhat) insanity.

The art and animation are some of, if not the, best I've ever seen. The voice actors are unbelievable and portray raw emotions wonderfully well. From just purely an aesthetic perspective Arcane is a 10/10 - however, that's not why I think it's so fantastic.

The storylines are compelling, not at all convoluted, and tie in wonderfully. One of the issues I take with a lot of modern TV shows (Marvel, Star Wars, Picard) is that the main plot seems to take a back seat, and there's a ton of filler. Every moment of every scene in Arcane has a purpose and an impact - nothing is wasted.

The characters are amazing. Seeing your favorite LoL champions come to life on the screen is neat, but you almost completely forget about it because the characters are so wonderfully written. Everyone, even the side characters, has their own arc that ties into the main story, but remains individually compelling. Almost all of them are flawed in some way, and in most of the choices they make there is no perfectly right answer. The result is that you root for and sympathize with everyone at some point, even the villain.

This show doesn't pull its punches. It's not at all what you'd expect for something coming out of League of Legends. It's not a comedy - it's violent, gritty, and very, very tragic. If you have a soul, be prepared to cry - or at the very least tear up and blame someone cutting onions.

10/10

If you haven't seen the show, stop here! Spoilers below!

SPOILER: Show
I just binged Arcane this weekend and basically am trying to process it fully so my brain will get back to normal. The show's been on my mind all day since I finished it, and it's so damn tragic that it makes me tear up just thinking about it. I know some of it is "post series depression" (not a fan of the term, but it gets the job done) and will just take time to wear off, but man this show impacted me hard and I just wanna gush about it.

Hoping there's some of you out there that wanna discuss it! What'd you think of it overall? Favorite characters, episodes, scenes? Tiny details or easter eggs? Anything!

tl;dr - I just want Jinx and Vi to hug and be happy, halp

Do not double post. Use the “edit” button to add something in your post. – JoelcrNeto
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Arcane

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 am

I have 3 episodes to go and have enjoyed it immensely. The artwork, music and VA's are top notch and the plot pulls you right in.
I've had no exposure to the game whatsoever so my feelings are purely based on the Anime itself.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Practice
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Practice » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:09 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:I have 3 episodes to go and have enjoyed it immensely. The artwork, music and VA's are top notch and the plot pulls you right in.
I've had no exposure to the game whatsoever so my feelings are purely based on the Anime itself.

Oh man, you've gotta finish it up! The final episode is amazing.
Phil 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:22 am

I did last night and it was epic.....very 1970's ending. Great little show and I don't drop the "great" appellation lightly.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I know absolutely nothing about League of Legends and probably don't care to, but this was one of the best animated shows I have ever seen, period. I was elated to learn there was a second season already in the works and saddened to learn it won't be out in 2022, but if it's the same quality it'll be worth the wait. It sucks that my two favorite shows from this year both won't be back for almost two years, most likely, but quality over quantity.

Also

LESBIANS OMG THEY'RE GAY I HAVE A NEW SHIP OMG *cough*

I don't think I've ever been as tense (during a show, anyway) as I was in the final episode when Jinx brought out that covered serving platter. I was terrified that it would be Cait's head.

Return to “Film and Video”