Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:27 pm

I bought Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby Doo meets Courage the Cowardly Dog on DVD and watched for the second. It is quite honestly the crossover everyone wanted to see as kids, now it’s become a reality.

As you’ve seen in the preview, the Mystery gang traveled to Nowhere they encountered giant cicadas along with Courage, Muriel, and Eustace. Pretty much what you expect to happen in a town like Nowhere.

SPOILER: Show
And the Eustace rap is something I feel weirded out about or something I needed in my life.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Despite it's many charms including Kevin Bacon's spooky performance in Hollow Man, the only easy way out defect is that the body count is way too predictable which came down to
Elisabeth Shue and Josh Brolin
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:15 pm

The Bullet Train (1975):

Despite what the constant comparisons to Speed might lead you to believe, this is not a Sonny Chiba actioner but rather a methodical crime procedural in the vein of Black Sunday and The Day of the Jackal; your enjoyment will depend entirely on whether you like the genre as I do. Has a genuinely great minor twist in that the criminals really just want money and do not actually intend to kill anyone, which leads to twistier plot complications than a straight-up terror attack would.

Rolling Vengeance (1987):

The killer monster truck idea is, well, killer, but the execution suffers from TV movie style tameness: there's no cursing, no gore despite the giant drill adorning the death truck, and most cripplingly, the lead actor doesn't have the chops to pull off the role of a wildly psychotic anti-hero. Ned Beatty does his best as the main villain, bless his heart, but this film desperately needs truckloads of more sleaze. Or alternatively, even less sleaze - had it been a more intentionally light-hearted affair, Rolling Vengeance could have been an amazing babby's first exploitation film, but what we have is too dour and dark for 12-year-olds, sadly.

The film would make a great remake candidate though. With EV tech, a slasher villain monster truck stalking its victims would make a degree of practical sense, and post-Killdozer you could have a believable but completely bonkers updated plot ripped straight from the headlines. Like, Mandy meets Tread, but the instrument of vengeance is less a slow construction machine and more like the Zombie 222.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:16 pm

Strange as it may seem, watching the first Fast and the Furious movie on VHS gave me a doubt near the end when Brian shoots Johnny Tran and supposedly he dies from his wounds. What confused me was that Brian checked Tran for a pulse and it didn't really seem like he was as he was briefly breathing and since at the time they were hinting at a sequel, the moment of Brian telling a passerby to call 911 may have been a missed opportunity in terms of the sequels affinity to bring back characters from the dead.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:11 am

Watched M by Fritz Lang with my dad last night.

Good movie. Beckert's actor was phenomenal, and the social commentary hits hard considering how it has a taste of the coming madness. Awkwardly enough, I liked to whistle In the Hall of the Mountain King every once in a while, but now I don't think Imma do that anymore.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:07 pm

Earwig And The Witch, 2021

I really hate to say it, but just give this one a miss and I don't say that due to the CGI as I've seen poor CGI films that were still good.

There are huge caping issues with this film and the first an asshole unlikeable manipulative protagonist character and around her being vile abusers and a really sudden ending. Also hitting kids on screen is not a good look it does not sell well unless you're doing horror and who ever thought of putting that in here really needs to get a clue as it's an awful moment in this film and if it was in the novel it should have been reframed.

The author's passing in 2011 does not help as Diana Wynne Jones. became ill while writing this book, and it's hard to get a wiki run down on how this book plays out and if Goro was coping page for page, and it is just a very rushed novel as the rumour is she finished it suddenly. So it could be an unfinished first draft that still got published even though it was far from ready. (This woman rote howls moving castle)

It would be very easy here to blame Goro for this train wreck, but I'm not I'm going to blame Hayao Miyazaki as I heard he refused to give Goro the A team animators and left him stranded with the b team and wouldn't help him at all, which is such an utter dick move and so utterly unprofessional

This meant Goro had young animators who were not good with the CGI software and who didn't have the experience and were not at the point that they knew how to really character build, and the movie really stagnates with little to no character growth from any character. Then does this sudden six month jump implying the unlikeable lead now has every one under her thumb, and it's jarring as there's nothing to show they got there....

The cat is the only decent character.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:09 pm

While I definitely keep watching the 2006 Miami Vice film adaptation, I do wonder what could've been salvaged had Jamie Foxx not been supposedly hard to work with since there was going to to be a huge shoot out clocking nearly half an hour which would've made the climax of Heat look like child's play. And now I read that Colin Farrell didn't enjoy filming the flick because to him, it was more "style, no substance". I may not have ever watched the show but with all due respect, from the amount of times I visited Miami I think style is what they were going for.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 am

Went to see "Matrix - Resurrections" and enjoyed it throughly! I got the ending I wanted and was able to expunge the ending of "Matrix 3" from my memory.
(not that it was a bad ending, just not what I wanted...it was very deflating.....)

oh and I'm going to claim being right about the fact that
Neo and Trinity were meatsuit rebuilds by the machines(ain't nanotech great?!), I guess they were able to save the brain information and no backup/echos were needed though. My original thought was that they would be echos or backup recordings of the originals put into cloned meatsuits but i think I was close enough.....

Neo and Trinity....still plenty of chemistry there...I hope this is the last one though....
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:37 pm

This swann song *pun intended* of Daniel Craig as Bond, James Bond in No Time To Die has got it's fair share of faults on a lot of sides but salvations on the others. Not a big fan of the new 007 Nomi and I didn't really thought it was humorous for her and James to start for the majority of the film a number war. As for Safin, he was a joke as a villain that even all the evildoers in Goldeneye *my all time favorite Bond film ever* could lay the smackdown. Another thing that brings this one down is that it feels more like a Madeleine origin tale leading to what may or may not become her own little franchise.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:49 am

Don’t Look Up, a black comedy about the end of the world on Netflix.

The movie is a mess. It feels like someone took parts of two scripts, one very good, one mediocre to terrible, and mashed them up into a movie with genuinely funny movements and some heartwarming messaging, mixed in with Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep playing the most unlikeable characters ever- and not in a deliberate, “this character is annoying to serve the needs do the film” way but a frustrating “this is making me want to fast forward or shut the movie off” way.

Jennifer Lawrence and Cate Blanchett are the highlights of the film and Leonardo DiCaprio is funnier on a metal level for playing a dorky man than he is as an actor in the film. He wasn’t phoning it in but it was a workmanlike performance.

What I found most baffling and offensive was the decision to make the President in the movie an idiotic, boorish, obvious analogue of our last president… but then hire Meryl Streep for the role, make her an obvious Hillary Clinton analogue, and on top of all that, make her an over the top sexually promiscuous airhead and spend the whole movie shaming her for it. It’s a shame because if they’d simply toned down the character, she would have worked. As is, it feels like she and Jonah Hill’s character walked into this movie from the set of Scary Movie V and the director just kept them in.

I’ll give it two stars out of five for being topical and having some witty characterization and heartfelt scenes but overall being too on the nose and obvious in its satire. Several characters are just *way* too over the top for the overall tone, and it breaks the flow of the film.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:29 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:Don’t Look UpWhat I found most baffling and offensive was the decision to make the President in the movie an idiotic, boorish, obvious analogue of our last president… but then hire Meryl Streep for the role, make her an obvious Hillary Clinton analogue, and on top of all that, make her an over the top sexually promiscuous airhead and spend the whole movie shaming her for it. It’s a shame because if they’d simply toned down the character, she would have worked. As is, it feels like she and Jonah Hill’s character walked into this movie from the set of Scary Movie V and the director just kept them in.

I've seen the clips and I found this weird to, like I hope the US gets a female president at some point because it changes everything media wise and stops this kind of bullshit long term in that the female leader is called out for being a bad leader and making stupid choices, not because of their gender and the sexually promiscuous story lines get dropped long term.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Starfish & Coffee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Starfish & Coffee » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:47 pm

The Servant from 1963 with Dirk Bogarde and Sarah Miles, subversive class-warfare noir that predates Parasite by over 50 years. Has an icy detached tone reinforced by the conditions it was filmed (Big Freeze of 1962/63)
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by assholes.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:04 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:
Don’t Look Up, a black comedy about the end of the world on Netflix.

The movie is a mess. It feels like someone took parts of two scripts, one very good, one mediocre to terrible, and mashed them up into a movie with genuinely funny movements and some heartwarming messaging, mixed in with Jonah Hill and Meryl Streep playing the most unlikeable characters ever- and not in a deliberate, “this character is annoying to serve the needs do the film” way but a frustrating “this is making me want to fast forward or shut the movie off” way.

Jennifer Lawrence and Cate Blanchett are the highlights of the film and Leonardo DiCaprio is funnier on a metal level for playing a dorky man than he is as an actor in the film. He wasn’t phoning it in but it was a workmanlike performance.

What I found most baffling and offensive was the decision to make the President in the movie an idiotic, boorish, obvious analogue of our last president… but then hire Meryl Streep for the role, make her an obvious Hillary Clinton analogue, and on top of all that, make her an over the top sexually promiscuous airhead and spend the whole movie shaming her for it. It’s a shame because if they’d simply toned down the character, she would have worked. As is, it feels like she and Jonah Hill’s character walked into this movie from the set of Scary Movie V and the director just kept them in.

I’ll give it two stars out of five for being topical and having some witty characterization and heartfelt scenes but overall being too on the nose and obvious in its satire. Several characters are just *way* too over the top for the overall tone, and it breaks the flow of the film.

There were times watching this film where I felt the same as you did, then I remembered it was supposed to be a comedy and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. Why did that general charge them for free snacks?

Completely agree with you on Jonah hill and Meryl Streep’s character.

I think holding my sleeping 1 year old during the final scenes of the film had a bigger overall impact for me.

Plus lol at the bronteroc scene.

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:Went to see "Matrix - Resurrections" and enjoyed it throughly!

Neo and Trinity....still plenty of chemistry there...I hope this is the last one though....

I thought that this was the setup for another trilogy? If not, then I am disappoint.

Merged; unnecessary double post – JoelcrNeto
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:53 pm

I have a hard time deciding whether through the repeat viewings of The Patriot that Jason Isaacs plays the despicable villain perfectly.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:55 pm

watched "Munich – The Edge of War" over the weekend on 'flix...and enjoyed immensely.
Good story, has some elements of reality, and some flights of fancy but all well acted...(the actor playing Hitler in this felt
a bit of a weak spot, the characterization just seemed a bit off but he was super creepy). Interestingly they seemed to put
a much more positive spin on Chamberlains involvement in the "appeasement" story. It's still very cringy in a personal way
to see these historical figures give up territory without a struggle...especially someone else's territory. Jeremy Irons is as
usual...."da bomb."
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:26 pm

Turbulence (1997)

Quite possibly my favorite of the trilogy, Ray Liotta is a wackier hoot than even Nicolas Cage at his craziest and I was delighted to see Ben Cross who I always recognized as Malagant from First Knight.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 20, 2022 7:40 am

RESCUE RANGERS movie somehow went against expectations and actually delivered a solid comedy. Ignore the characters' backstory and some of the poorer jokes and you get a solid buddy comedy that clearly respect the source material to the point of making sure some of the jokes actually land. Leave to one of the Lonely Island guys to make a terrible idea like this to work.

Probably the closest we'll ever have to getting a WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT 2.
Last edited by C.A.P. on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:42 pm

^I didn’t expect to
see Randy Marsh in that one. And in a Disney film, no less

But yeah, I think I enjoyed that one. A little crazy, but enjoyed it. Sure were a lot of cameos in it. It almost feels like a movie made for fandoms.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 pm

As much as I adore Anaconda which I am constantly repeating views of it, if I could alter the final survivor's roster a bit then I would have definitely spared
Kari Wuhrer especially due to how lifelike she pulled off the sorrow she felt for Owen Wilson being eaten by the snake

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:40 pm

Genuinely surprised more people aren't talking about Jordan Peele's NOPE which has an honest to god Angel in the third act.

Return to “Film and Video”