Your entertainment wishlist?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Your entertainment wishlist?

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:59 pm

This is gonna be super obscure, but. . . I'd like to see a legitimate, sincere film adaptation of John Brosnan's book Carnosaur.

For those of you who don't know, Carnosaur was a novel published in 1984. The plot revolved around a journalist investigating a series of mysterious deaths in a small British town, only to discover that a cloned dinosaur is responsible. The book actually pre-dated Jurassic Park by six years, which is impressive considering that it introduced a lot of ideas that Jurassic Park would later make famous-- i.e. dinosaurs being portrayed as fast and intelligent instead of sluggish oversized lizards. Carnosaur did get a movie adaptation, but it was a low-budget Roger Corman B-movie meant to cash in on the success of Jurassic Park, and it had nothing in common with the book.

I'd like to see one of the big studios take a crack at adapting this book. It's been too long since we've had a decent dinosaur movie that wasn't a Jurassic Park sequel.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:This is gonna be super obscure, but. . . I'd like to see a legitimate, sincere film adaptation of John Brosnan's book Carnosaur.

For those of you who don't know, Carnosaur was a novel published in 1984. The plot revolved around a journalist investigating a series of mysterious deaths in a small British town, only to discover that a cloned dinosaur is responsible. The book actually pre-dated Jurassic Park by six years, which is impressive considering that it introduced a lot of ideas that Jurassic Park would later make famous-- i.e. dinosaurs being portrayed as fast and intelligent instead of sluggish oversized lizards. Carnosaur did get a movie adaptation, but it was a low-budget Roger Corman B-movie meant to cash in on the success of Jurassic Park, and it had nothing in common with the book.

I'd like to see one of the big studios take a crack at adapting this book. It's been too long since we've had a decent dinosaur movie that wasn't a Jurassic Park sequel.

Sounds good, far too many obscure novels (both horror & otherwise) deserve adaptations that will never happen.

Some credit I will give the Corman Carnosaur movies is on some of the practical effects: The stop motion & small puppets were mostly poor & the raptor suits were merely ok at best but this full size T-Rex animatronic looked firmly good, not half as good as Stan Winston's practical Dino work but a very respectable effort.

SPOILER: Show

Massively better than modern equivalent monster films from the SYFY channel & such with non stop garbage CGI.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:06 am

Bit of trivia: in the book, it wasn't even a T. rex. It was a Tarbosaurus!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:20 am

Despite the genre being done ad nauseum I'd still like the Brian Lumley Necroscope books adapted into a weekly series.....or even a single movie..
plenty of stories to pull from.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Bit of trivia: in the book, it wasn't even a T. rex. It was a Tarbosaurus!

You might want to try One Million Years B.C or Valley Of Gwangi and The Land That Time Forgot there all cheesy fun dino romps.

Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:
View Original PostEl Squibbonator#920926 wrote:Bit of trivia: in the book, it wasn't even a T. rex. It was a Tarbosaurus!

You might want to try One Million Years B.C or Valley Of Gwangi and The Land That Time Forgot there all cheesy fun dino romps.

Seconding these. I would add...
- When Dinosaurs ruled the Earth (retread of one million years bc but with virtually just as good stop motion work despite lacking ray harryhausen)
- The Crater Lake Monster (jaws rip off with a stop motion plesiosaur)
- The Beast of Hollow Mountain (the prototype for gwangi by Willis O'Brian)
Last edited by movieartman on Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:56 am

- Some or all footage from the 2 1930s Japanese King Kong "remakes" are miraculously found, restored & released (the films are presumed to have been destroyed in WW2)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_ ... red_in_Edo
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasei_Kingu_Kongu

- Randy Queen's Starfall comic is released (was legally held up because of his divorce)

- Crime drama film Black Water Transit (2009) with Laurence Fishburne, Karl Urban, Brittany Snow & Stephen Dorff is finished & released.

- The pilots for the following shows are released to the public (they were not picked up for series sadly)
-- Supernatural mystery show Occult with Lynn Collins.

-- Lesbian sex drama Open with Anna Torv, Michelle Monaghan & Jaimie Alexander.

Starfish & Coffee
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Starfish & Coffee » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:34 am

For anime series:

---- A deluxe blu-ray of Madoka Magica TV series with soundtrack, new bonus features and a booklet describing the making of and impact of the show. An archive interview with Urobuchi-san could be included. Limited of course and the price wouldn't be an issue with hardcore fans.

---- Haibane Renmei and ABe's work could do with an upgrade, the market for potential ABe reissues isn't huge but it's graspable enough to sustain an interest in his work outside of Lain.

For movies and tv shows I'm not fussed on, at this moment in time.

For music:

---- As a Prince enthusiast I'm hoping for a double reissue of Dirty Mind and Controversy, his new-wave style albums from the early 80s with an extra cd of vault material. There's enough Vault material to release an album's worth for the next 100 years, so needless to say we're spoiled rotten with the content dripping through the estate.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, surrounded by assholes.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:00 am

View Original PostStarfish & Coffee wrote:---- A deluxe blu-ray of Madoka Magica TV series with soundtrack, new bonus features and a booklet describing the making of and impact of the show. An archive interview with Urobuchi-san could be included. Limited of course and the price wouldn't be an issue with hardcore fans.

With Walpurgis no Kaiten being announced, I imagine we'll see something like this in the next year or two.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 am

- Western/monster movie Territorial announced in 2013 (?) does get made & keeps the monster design from the poster (looks like a cross between a werewolf & biollante)
A Predator-style movie, set in the harsh Australian colonial landscape - with tough criminals being hunted by a mythological being that has its roots in the oldest Aboriginal stories

- State of Play (2009) [one of my favorite thrillers] gets a sequel with Crowe & Mcadams returning.

- Cold in July (2014) gets a sequel, maybe more of a spin-off focused on Don Johnson's PI (sadly Sam Shepard died, he was a main character in this)

- Cobra (1986) gets a sequel & plays up the gritty neo-noir elements.

- 2 Guns (2013) gets a sequel, I know Denzel doesn't like sequels but if he can make a exception for The Equalizer 2/3, he can make one for this.
Last edited by movieartman on Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:47 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Western/monster movie Territorial announced in 2013 (?) does get made & keeps the monster design from the poster (looks like a cross between a werewolf & biollante)
A Predator-style movie, set in the harsh Australian colonial landscape - with tough criminals being hunted by a mythological being that has its roots in the oldest Aboriginal stories

That could be a reference to the Bunyip I'll let this YouTube video do the talking with regard to what it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeUGl1rOXx0
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 am

Just realized that I never actually posted in this thread, at least not any time recently; this is where the complete pipedreams go, right? :tongue:

So, in no particular order:
-8-10 Episode Iconic Field OVA
-Symphogear XDU anime, preferrably an entire first season that is just Katayoku no Sōsha (and Sōyoku no Sirius prolly)
-actually just a revival of international XDU release in general that doesn't die after three months nevermind that one tbh
-a Gundam OVA consisting entirely of a Battlogue-style cross-universe free for all; no plot, no justification of why anything is happening, just an hour long fight scene with actually all of the timelines including Build, not just the five or so biggest ones
-Gundam IBO Gekkou getting finished, translated and mayhaps animated/put into a game
-Gundam IBO Urdr Hunt finally coming out ITS HAPPENING
-Calamity War anime
-Gundam Sidestory Series (SttEoF, Blue Destiny, Missing Link) anime nevermind that one, those would probably suck
-Nadesico movie 2 and 3
-Skyward Sword bonus story mode that focuses on Zelda's journey
-more Highschool DxD anime
-extended cut of Pacific Rim
-extended cut of Code Geass Fukkatsu
-remake of NGE2 and Battle Orchestra, localized and still retaining the TV-style proportions and in case of BO with not jank controls and including TRIDENT
-some more Gloryhammer albums
-S2 of PacRim The Black Happened, was good
-more animated Noragami
-Xenoblade anime
-Airmaster Burst, Leopard Destroy, G-Falcon, Crouda Lancerow, Esperanza II and Shuffle Alliance suits added to Gundam G Gen Crossrays
-actually just a full timeline for the other AUs that were left out
-Phoenix Wright Rise from the Ashes OVA
-13 Sentinels PC port On Switch, I'll take that
-Pacific Rim pc game with all the designs from the defunct gacha that doesn't go dead when the servers are shut off
-a dnd group that doesn't fucking disintegrate before the first session played
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:02 am

Last edited by movieartman on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Robert Taylor (longmire) gets more work & larger roles.
Him being resigned to playing the ship captain for 1 scene in Kong Skull Island is horseshit.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- Western/monster movie Territorial announced in 2013 (?) does get made & keeps the monster design from the poster (looks like a cross between a werewolf & biollante)

Small update on this, the director is currently working on a period piece killer shark film, he said he hopes that if that is successful he will be able to secure funding for Territorial.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:27 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Robert Taylor (longmire) gets more work & larger roles.
Him being resigned to playing the ship captain for 1 scene in Kong Skull Island is horseshit.

I heartily agree, what a fantastic and underused actor. Most wont remember he was an agent in the Matrix films as well...first time I remember seeing him in anything anyway.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:39 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:This is gonna be super obscure, but. . . I'd like to see a legitimate, sincere film adaptation of John Brosnan's book Carnosaur.

It's funny you say this.

I'd like to see a premium channel prestige series adaptation (8-10 episodes) adaptation of Jurassic Park that is true to the book: e.g. it's made clear from the start that the dinosaurs are in no sense "real" and are actually horrifying chimera monsters that look like outdated depictions of them, John Hammond is a con artist and something of a sociopath, and the release of the dinosaurs isn't the result of a fat man being bad but a disastrous series of events, half arising from Hammond's cheaping out on everything and arrogantly treating people like garbage, and half arising from the sheer hubris of trying to control nature (including scheduling the "evaluation tour" when a cyclone is coming), with subsequent seasons of the show adapting some of Crichton's other books. First season, Jurassic Park, second season, Timeline, third season, The Lost World, fourth season, Sphere, etc, all set in a shared world.

I'd really like to see a full on proper adaptation of sphere where you actually *see* the damned squid.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:28 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:
View Original PostBlue Monday#878952 wrote:Jonathan Hickman to quit screwin' about, sign DC exclusive and write World's Finest, Legion of Super-Heroes and Earth-2. Apparently LOSH is his favourite superhero property, a perfect vehicle for his style of cosmic-scale epics, and the rumours of Hickman joining the DC stable have been fervent since Rebirth-era.

Sorry man... you get Bendis!
(Bendis is Monday's mortal enemy!)
https://www.superherohype.com/comics/45 ... millennium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtjFsQBuJWw

Dc really does not like Blue Monday :cringe:
https://bleedingcool.com/tv/hbo-max-put ... s-tv-show/

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 pm

It's funny you say this.

I'd like to see a premium channel prestige series adaptation (8-10 episodes) adaptation of Jurassic Park that is true to the book: e.g. it's made clear from the start that the dinosaurs are in no sense "real" and are actually horrifying chimera monsters that look like outdated depictions of them, John Hammond is a con artist and something of a sociopath, and the release of the dinosaurs isn't the result of a fat man being bad but a disastrous series of events, half arising from Hammond's cheaping out on everything and arrogantly treating people like garbage, and half arising from the sheer hubris of trying to control nature (including scheduling the "evaluation tour" when a cyclone is coming), with subsequent seasons of the show adapting some of Crichton's other books. First season, Jurassic Park, second season, Timeline, third season, The Lost World, fourth season, Sphere, etc, all set in a shared world.

I'd really like to see a full on proper adaptation of sphere where you actually *see* the damned squid.

I actually liked the Jurassic Park movie a lot better than the book, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that the movie focused more on the actual dinosaurs and not on Ian Malcolm's rants on how science is bad, and also had a much more satisfying ending.

dopamine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dopamine » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:13 pm

eva live-action...
please make it a thing T_T

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:22 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:
It's funny you say this.

I actually liked the Jurassic Park movie a lot better than the book, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that the movie focused more on the actual dinosaurs and not on Ian Malcolm's rants on how science is bad, and also had a much more satisfying ending.

Like I think this is a great idea, but they would have to overhaul Lex's character just like in the film and not have male characters tell her to shut up just because she's scared (because it's normally to be afraid of wild life that can eat you alive) as I remember reading her character in the book and rolling my eyes as Crichton wrote her really badly in my view.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”