Making sense of the impact trigger and the new lore in Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Re: Making sense of the impact trigger and the new lore in Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:Unit 13 only woke up after devouring Asuka who had become the 9th Angel, at that point the Eva 13 was inert until Asuka revived the 9th Angel, at which point the Eva reactivated but did not wake up, it only destroyed Unit 02 later when he ate Asuka was when Eva woke up, it is easy to assume that if Asuka does not revive on the 9th there would be no final impact because unit 13 could not wake up because there would not be an angel to sacrifice to achieve it.

My current theory is that Gendo has the resources to start a Fourth Impact without Asuka, but he couldn't create the Additional Impact.

Gendo needs to create a new Spear from the black moon for the Fourth Impact, because he will need the Spears of Longinus and Cassius for the Additional Impact. Maybe he could create the Fourth Impact with the 13th Angel (whose body and soul are under Gendo's control), but he will need it for the Additional Impact,

Even if my theory is wrong, WILLE didn't know that Gendo needs Asuka. They just know Gendo wants to create an Impact and Eva-13 is part of this. So, they will destroy Eva-13 and they need Eva-02 for this.

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:My on-the-spot theory this morning: Wille equips unit 02 this way because they never expect Asuka to remove the pillar from her eye; doing so is suicidal thanks to her DSS choker. They expect that unit 02 can use the angel blood injection as a crazy power-up to the Eva, even if she leaves her pillar in-place, and that's the injection's intended use. But Asuka removes the pillar and injects the blood at the same time, triggering the choker, in a move that's not "by the book" per Wille's plans. Is this theory any good?

My theory is that this move is a last resort by WILLE. They expect Asuka to remove the pillar and use the Angel's blood in a really desperate situation.

WILLE won't worry about the Eva-02 awakening, because Asuka will die by the DSS Choker.

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Yet another morning theory: Kaworu is an electromechanical savant. Remember how he fixes the SDAT, and removes the DSS choker from Shinji's neck. Accordingly, it's simple for him to modify the DSS choker so that once it's on his own neck it doesn't explode until he tells it to.

That's a good theory too. Although if Kaworu could "hold" the explosion of the DSS Choker, I think it would be due to his Angel power.

Cookie H Wilson
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Cookie H Wilson » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:47 pm

I have read all of this thread and I still can’t find any real answer to how an impact is done and what is needed for it to happen
Really it seems so random at each impact
�Smash the control images. Smash the control machine.�
― William S. Burroughs

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:47 am

View Original PostCookie H Wilson wrote:I have read all of this thread and I still can’t find any real answer to how an impact is done and what is needed for it to happen

It's simple: the recipe for an Impact is "whatever is needed for the narrative purpose of the current scene", then you justify it by having one of the characters says that it's "another ritual" or that an Eva served as "trigger" for another one.
That's how sometimes you need an Impact Trigger inside it and sometimes not, sometimes you need one or two spears and sometimes not, sometimes you need to have the Eva eat one Angel and sometimes two or three, sometimes you need a very specific "True Evangelion" yet WILLE treat their pilots as if their run-of-the-mill Production Type Eva can make one too if pushed too far even without an Angel around.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am

For the purpose of something else, I wrote down the common elements of every Impact and found that they're kinda simple really.

Second Impact: 4-5 Adams generate halos and wings, opening Guf, redding the oceans.

Near Third Impact: Halo'd Pseudo-Eva-01 draws Rei's soul from the 10th Angel's core, creating an entity with 3 souls (Shinji, Yui, Rei) and an Angel sacrifice which generates Eva-01's wings and opens Guf.

Third Impact: Halo'd (Adams Vessel ergo core/soul of Adams) Mark.06 "merges" with the 12th Angel and together claim Lilith's body and behead her (she gets Rei's face after beaheading so maybe she "resonates" like the MP Eva's in EoE) creating a 2(-3?) souled entity, which then opens Guf and rains skulls and reddens the land (and FoIs).

Fourth Impact: Eva-13 (Adams and Shinji and Kaworu) consumes the 12th Angel (Kaworu's 1st-13th switch is "the trigger") to become a 3-4 souled entity, gains a double Halo and opens Guf.

Fourth Impact 2-Additional Impact: Eva-13 (Adams and Kaworu and Asuka*) consumes Asuka and the 9th Angel becoming a 3-4 souled entity. The Adam's Vessel Evas and the 4 ships grow wings to recreate Second Impact's conditions. Black Moon spear dunked into Guf and Gendo is Nebuchadnezzar'd into an Angelic entity.

None of it is exact and sometimes there's halos and wings and sometimes not, but generally speaking, an Angel is consumed to create a multi-souled entity that is able to open Guf; what happens after Guf is open depends on the individual or the Impact order.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
View Original PostCookie H Wilson#932209 wrote:I have read all of this thread and I still can’t find any real answer to how an impact is done and what is needed for it to happen

It's simple: the recipe for an Impact is "whatever is needed for the narrative purpose of the current scene", then you justify it by having one of the characters says that it's "another ritual" or that an Eva served as "trigger" for another one.
That's how sometimes you need an Impact Trigger inside it and sometimes not, sometimes you need one or two spears and sometimes not, sometimes you need to have the Eva eat one Angel and sometimes two or three, sometimes you need a very specific "True Evangelion" yet WILLE treat their pilots as if their run-of-the-mill Production Type Eva can make one too if pushed too far even without an Angel around.

I have to agree with both above points. I've been sort of underwhelmed with the theory work post-Shin, as it feels like it doesn't amount to much so far. Long, in-depth posts appear to have a semblance of reasoning only for replies to immediately point out one or two instances of contradiction or outright omission that completely undoes the entire chain of logic. I'm not seeing the dialectical one hopes for in even argumentative interpretation. It seems one can only come to a unified system of thought by omitting something, because taken altogether, the rules in NTE appear to be fundamentally obscure, and by that I don't meant that it's without purpose.

In other words: attempts to reach unified theories start going off-script pretty soon, and end up getting too far away from the actual function in a script-writing sense. Their utility isn't for the generation of theory and debate or even articulation, but dramatic effect. The film doesn't seem concerned, anyway, with the rules, and in fact seems to be casting the rules as an oppressive force (despite, ironically, being convenient for plot momentum due to their undefined nature) thematically, something undone anyway, and the emotional beats are pretty apparent. What's left behind is the question of whether, outside of the intentions of the hand-washing of the ending, the rules are done away with in a manner that justifies itself based on how they operated beforehand; or to put it another way, how well the math checks out the entire way, not just in the terms of how the film wishes for it in the end.

The script takes it for granted that the audience will take it for granted that there's underlying information that makes sense of everything, even without it being fully and coherently revealed in a consistent and thorough way. This is more or less what has always driven Eva's storytelling, but it was easier to swallow in the old material because of linearity. We begin at second impact and end at third impact, and it's simply easier to draw connections between events and their causes. Enough was established to take Asuka's awakening in her hibernation before the MPE fight at total face value and thus be absorbed in its intended effect: cathartic drama. In contrast, was enough established to react to Asuka's scene against Eva 13 for its intended effect to occur? We're meant to feel shock, but are we feeling shock that draws attention to absorption in the scene, or are we left alienated and unable to identify and relate to the human element, since we can't naturally imagine a cause-effect throughline that makes sense?

With the repetition of third-, near third-, final-, another impact, etc., the calculus has become exponential and it becomes more of a challenge to suspend disbelief and go with the flow, even if it all levels out into the same dramatic demand: the basic assumption that shadowy workings are going on, are perhaps beyond comprehension, and the dramatic effects that result are really the crux and what we can obviously work to understand, anyway. But when we can't reason out what Asuka knows, where she acquired her knowledge (in the immediate aftermath of Q? somewhere along the line of the massive timeskip?) and how she meant to apply it, the shakiness of the rules start to intrude, impede, and muddle up the drama too. And really, that's where the important discourse seems to lie for me: not the rules and how they work for their own sake, but whether or not these rules are buried or revealed in the right ways for the drama to function in relation to them. Note that in this example, it's not exactly necesarry for the rules in total to be comprehensively laid out; it's more about Asuka's extent of knowledge of said rules and if enough of that is elaborated on for the drama to function.

The film opens with hybrid angels/evas in massive quantities, there are millions of new units on screen at once, an entire dimension is introduced, an object that is powerful because it was bestowed with power, or in other words, is powerful because it is, and operates totally outside the realm of physics, and in itself makes speculation moot, is revealed. I think, based upon the sheer onslaught of new ingredients, events, and trump cards, the only thing we're really meant to reason out is that the rules are fluid. In absence of another infodump ala the Evangelion 2 game (were the rules established therein even possible to deduce off of information from NGE & EoE alone?) there really doesn't seem to be much tangible progress able to be made.
Last edited by Axx°N N. on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Après moi le déluge!

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:05 am

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote:Long, in-depth posts appear to have a semblance of reasoning only for replies to immediately point out one or two instances of contradiction or outright omission that completely undoes the entire chain of logic.

Yesterday I stopped myself from pointing out what I took to be a flaw in this bit of Szmitten's write-up:

Szmitten wrote:Third Impact: Halo'd (Adams Vessel ergo core/soul of Adams) Mark.06 "merges" with the 12th Angel and together claim Lilith's body and behead her (she gets Rei's face after beaheading so maybe she "resonates" like the MP Eva's in EoE) creating a 2(-3?) souled entity, which then opens Guf and rains skulls and reddens the land (and FoIs).

The flaw I perceived: Mark 06 isn't an Adams Vessel, is it? I thought only Marks 09 through 12 were Adams Vessels. I hesitated in pointing this out probably because of what Axx°N N. explains well, that our discourse on Rebuild causes and effects isn't getting very far. In recent weeks I have oscillated between thinking a coherent explanation of the rules doesn't exist, or staring harder at screenshots hoping something will finally click.

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:16 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostAxx°N N.#932221 wrote:Long, in-depth posts appear to have a semblance of reasoning only for replies to immediately point out one or two instances of contradiction or outright omission that completely undoes the entire chain of logic.

Yesterday I stopped myself from pointing out what I took to be a flaw in this bit of Szmitten's write-up:

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Third Impact: Halo'd (Adams Vessel ergo core/soul of Adams) Mark.06 "merges" with the 12th Angel and together claim Lilith's body and behead her (she gets Rei's face after beaheading so maybe she "resonates" like the MP Eva's in EoE) creating a 2(-3?) souled entity, which then opens Guf and rains skulls and reddens the land (and FoIs).

The flaw I perceived: Mark 06 isn't an Adams Vessel, is it? I thought only Marks 09 through 12 were Adams Vessels. I hesitated in pointing this out probably because of what Axx°N N. explains well, that our discourse on Rebuild causes and effects isn't getting very far. In recent weeks I have oscillated between thinking a coherent explanation of the rules doesn't exist, or staring harder at screenshots hoping something will finally click.

NTE discourse is admittedly pretty weird because there isn't a firm consensus on basic things. I agree that Mark.06 shouldn't be an Adam's Vessel (in the same way I shrug off talk of 01 being Adams etc) because it doesn't demonstrate the body-core stuff Marks.09-12 display, and unless it was rebuilt into 12 pretty quickly it can't exist concurrently with them; but at the same time it is meant to be "special" in its construction and the reasoning for it being on the moon in the first place.

The real reason is that the concept of Vessel's didn't exist in 2.0 and the natural crazy big schism created in the production between 2.0 and 3.0 makes some concepts incongruous, no matter how much we try to massage them.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Not helping NTE's case is that at several points through the movies the characters introduce and/or bring attention on certain elements, informing us viewers that they are vital for the accomplishment of an Impact and thus will be important later, and then have the last movie contradicting it:
  • we have SEELE and also Gendo discussing several times about how they HAVE to use EVA-01 or Mark.06 for their plan, implying that those Evas have something special that the others Production and Mass-Produced models don't and that only those can start an Impact, and then in Thrice Asuka and Mari are wearing a DSS Choker, as if their regular Production Model can also shit out an Impact if pushed too far, despite them systematically pushing them beyond their limits and ditching theirs limiters at the climax of every movie from Ha onward
  • Misato and Ritsuko design Shinji as an "Impact Trigger" in Q, implying that this is something special that only him (and Kaworu) have that set him apart from other Eva pilots and that having such a Trigger is vital to start an Impact, and once again Asuka and Mari's treatment in Thrice instead implies that "Impact Trigger" is just a synonym of Eva Pilot plus having a soul, and on top of that the flashback of the actual Third Impact in Thrice show us a fully autonomous Mark.06 doing the Impact, so an Impact Trigger doesn't seem to be that important after all, the only "explanation" we get being a throwaway line from Kaworu in Q about EVA-01 having been a "trigger" for the actual Third Impact, without us ever getting any semblance of explanation about wtf that means
  • on a more narrative POV, there's a lot of attention brought toward the spear of Cassius through Ha and Q, with how there's now another type of spear beside the Longinus (which is important since the Longinus spear became a very known icon in the Japanese Animation, making several cameos on many other animes) and it seems special since it can stop dead even a fully awakened Eva and was vital in Kaworu's plan to restore the world in Q (its absence being the catalyst by which his plan had gone to hell), implying that it'll play an important role in the last movie, especially since the trailers already showed 01 using it... and then Thrice come and nothing comes out of it, it's just the spear that Shinji use in his duel against Gendo which is a Longinus that morphed because it's the "spear of hope" (whatever that means), used as a regular melee weapon before relinquishing it to his father which use it for his plan, and it's another spear, coming our of nowhere, that turns out to be the special one and let Shinji rewriting the world, somehow...
  • even what looked like the only constant in the Impact starting business, having an Eva "awake" by devouring an Angel (aka getting a Fruit of Life) gets contradicted in Thrice by EVA-13 (by now fully awakened like 01) having to devour yet another Angel despite already having eaten two (12th and Kaworu) to start Final Impact, which makes you wonder why are awakened Evas so special and feared that 01 was reduced to its torso and head and sent in space if they apparently can't start another Impact without nomming another Angel, and once again, neither why Asuka and Mari are treated as if they could make their regular Production Model Evas shit out an Impact since for all intent and purpose, there aren't any Angels left (and even for Asuka's case she apparently can't awake her Eva by herself, since WILLE had to add extra tanks full of "Angel matter" to let her transform her Eva into a Giant of Light)

On top of that, the mechanisms behinds Impacts in Rebuild suffer the comparison with NGE, where behind the technobabble was actually quite simple: uniting Adam + Lilith = Third Impact, it was on how to control the outcome of said Impact that things could vary and added some complexity to the comprehension:
  • having an indoctrinated Kaworu (Adam's soul) fusing with Lilith: SEELE's A (maybe B) plan, doomed to failure since he already decided that Instrumentality was shit by the time he reached Lilith
  • having an indoctrinated Rei (Lilith's soul) fuse with the Adam embryo and then reuniting with Lilith's body to start the Impact: Gendo's plan (with him joining the ride by fusing with the Adam embryo to have a direct control over Instrumentality), and implied to had been SEELE's initial plan, until the embryo was destroyed (=Gendo stole it), which "failed" because Rei decided at the last moment to ditch Gendo to ask Shinji what he wanted to do after she ascended to GNR
  • having EVA-01 (made from Lilith's flesh) with a Fruit of Life be captured by the MP-Evas (clones of Adam) and their copied spears to attract the real spear of Longinus to start a ritual that will trigger Third Impact (the spear serving to force 01 to comply to SEELE's scenario): SEELE's "everything has gone to shit" C plan, we never got to see the ritual finish because the ascended Rei-Lilith arrived and hijacked Shinji's Eva to ask him what he wanted her to do, in a way Unit 01 wasn't even necessary for her, she could had fetched Shinji in his Eva cage or wherever he was
Even the spear of Longinus was just a "control rod" to force whoever starts the Impact to comply, SEELE would had probably liked to have it when they sent Kaworu to guarantee his compliance, and Gendo would had definitively liked to have it when Rei told him to fuck off in EoE.

Now come Rebuild, and as said by Axx°N N. above, not only do we have a multiplication of the number of Impacts with Second, Near-Third, actual Third, Fourth, Final and Additional Impacts, but not two of them have the same configuration: one time there are the four Adams involved (or was it the four "secondary" Adams plus the "big" one that later became Unit 13? We don't know) with all their spears, another it's one Eva and one spear and Lilith, another one Eva and two spears and Lilith, another two Evas and two spears and no Lilith... and that's without even taking into account the mess that was Near Third Impact where we still don't know how Shinji could do the things he did.
On top of that, instead of NGE where the complexity could be handwaved by the fact that SEELE and Gendo are trying to divert the FAR tools from their intended use, in Rebuild it's revealed that this whole clusterfuck is actually heavily ritualized and planned to be like that by the FAR, for reasons that are never explained nor even alluded.

And then we have Gendo's plan, which pushes the convolution to the point of a parody: his plan is to bring the four battleships controlled by the four Adam's Vessels piloted by special Rei clones of the "Advanced Ayanami Series" to the site of Second Impact alongside the Black Moon to turn it into a giant spear and have EVA-13 devour the 9th Angel inside Asuka thanks to her original to have it and EVA-01 go in another dimension and have them synchronize and use two remaining spears to invoke an Evangelion made from imagination from an object left behind by the Precursors that will turn into GNR and start Instrumentality! :dunce:

Seriously when I stopped to think about the description of Gendo's plan, the only thing that I could think of it was that:
Yes I'm the one who did this  SPOILER: Show

And just to make things even more confusing, we're never explained what most of what Gendo use for his plan are supposed to be: we don't have a single clue of what the hell were the Adam's Vessels nor the battleships nor their relationship to the Adams, what made the Advanced Ayanami Series so special or advanced, or what the hell was the Golgotha object nor its purpose, except "some shit the FAR left behind" (and that Yui visited in the past, somehow)

So yeah, in the end, seeing how convoluted Gendo's plan was, I can't see any reason for it besides having a reason to keep WILLE, Asuka, Mari and Fuyutsuki indisposed or busy so Shinji and Gendo could have their little family talk. (from which even Rei and Yui were excluded)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:36 am

I just watched Q again :D

Immediately after Kaworu says that he will close the Gates, and for Shinji not to worry, Shinji answers:

カヲルくんが何を言っているかわからないよ

This is the exact same line Shinji uses in NGE episode 24 in response to Kaworu explaining that living and dying is the same for him, and to which Kaworu responds "This is my will". Arguably, this could suggests that in Q too, Kaworu is referring to his own death (as means to close the gates).

---

Another curious detail is that immediately after Kaworu's death scene, we are shown the face of Eva-13, and the following two things happen:

1. Both pair of eyes return to the "un-bulging state"
2. The light in the lower pair of eyes "turns off", but the upper pair remains lit in red.

I think point no. 1 means that the Eva is no longer "awaken", while point no. 2 means that only one pilot remains alive inside the unit (Eva eyes typically light up when the unit activates).

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:27 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Not helping NTE's case is that at several points through the movies the characters introduce and/or bring attention on certain elements, informing us viewers that they are vital for the accomplishment of an Impact and thus will be important later, and then have the last movie contradicting it:

As an audience I think we have a more justifiable demand for narrative consistency than we do for comprehensible impact mechanics. In other words, we should criticize the rebuilds if they actually introduce contradictions that break narrative consistency (e.g., if a character who died in 2.0 was inexplicably alive in 3.0, etc.). But I'm less eager to fault the rebuilds for simply being unclear about how impacts work. I've started to think about the first ancestral race, the evas, the gates, the impacts, etc., as an aggregated big dumb object (BDO) that operates by a set of rules that we as the audience will never learn. Some of the lesser-informed characters in the rebuilds will never fully learn either, and can only hopefully cargo-cult in front of the BDO (Wille distributes DSS chokers to everyone!). Meanwhile, the better-informed characters have more deliberate access to the levers of control and can make the BDO do things we just can't understand (Neo-NERV has to feed unit 13 another angel!). Instead of interpreting these elements as breakdowns in narrative consistency, we can interpret them as the characters (and us) grappling with an ancient unfathomable technology.

[Edit half a day later] I re-read Axx°N N.'s post above, which concludes with:

View Original PostAxx°N N. wrote: I think, based upon the sheer onslaught of new ingredients, events, and trump cards, the only thing we're really meant to reason out is that the rules are fluid. In absence of another infodump ala the Evangelion 2 game ... there really doesn't seem to be much tangible progress able to be made.

Based on my BDO take I'll conclude, in a minor variation, that the rules are fixed but unknowable (until that infodump happens).

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:53 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
Seriously when I stopped to think about the description of Gendo's plan, the only thing that I could think of it was that:

And just to make things even more confusing, we're never explained what most of what Gendo use for his plan are supposed to be: we don't have a single clue of what the hell were the Adam's Vessels nor the battleships nor their relationship to the Adams, what made the Advanced Ayanami Series so special or advanced, or what the hell was the Golgotha object nor its purpose, except "some shit the FAR left behind" (and that Yui visited in the past, somehow)

So yeah, in the end, seeing how convoluted Gendo's plan was, I can't see any reason for it besides having a reason to keep WILLE, Asuka, Mari and Fuyutsuki indisposed or busy so Shinji and Gendo could have their little family talk. (from which even Rei and Yui were excluded)

Yeah I mean throughout the series, you keep hearing about how 'everything was going to plan', according to Gendo, but it really makes you think what terrible planning this all was from the beginning. If everything in the movies before Eva 4 was supposed to be carried out to hasten the fruition of his plan and everything seemed to be going well, with no interference from Seele's plans (like in the series), why did it take 14 years to succeed? Surely anyone faced with that amount of delay and complexity would lack the patience to even consider this.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:28 am

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:
View Original PostElMariachi#932287 wrote:Yeah I mean throughout the series, you keep hearing about how 'everything was going to plan', according to Gendo, but it really makes you think what terrible planning this all was from the beginning. If everything in the movies before Eva 4 was supposed to be carried out to hasten the fruition of his plan and everything seemed to be going well, with no interference from Seele's plans (like in the series), why did it take 14 years to succeed? Surely anyone faced with that amount of delay and complexity would lack the patience to even consider this.

Hmmm, I'd say the key of nebuchadnezzar changed things for Gendo, before using it, it all indeed everything went as planned, using SEELE's plan and hijack it for his own, but after using the key he possessed more knowledge, realizing just unit 01 wasn't enough for what he was trying to achieve (a lot more/different than just SEELE's instrumentality plans) and the realization that the Eva Imaginary theory daddy Katsuragi proposed was indeed true, needing a convoluted ritual to get to the Golgotha object and summoning it. All stuff he most likely did not know before using the key. It also pretty much made him a godlike creature, I don't think patience was an issue (i would reserve that for Fuyutski instead)

My biggest gripe with Gendo's seeming omniscience is before all this. Indeed, he says a lot that everything is going as planned, but seems frustrated when 01 refuses the dummy plug, but then a few scenes later it's again according to plan how Rei and Shinji together could awaken 01 ...

Kid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kid » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:04 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And then we have Gendo's plan, which pushes the convolution to the point of a parody: his plan is to bring the four battleships controlled by the four Adam's Vessels piloted by special Rei clones of the "Advanced Ayanami Series" to the site of Second Impact alongside the Black Moon to turn it into a giant spear and have EVA-13 devour the 9th Angel inside Asuka thanks to her original to have it and EVA-01 go in another dimension and have them synchronize and use two remaining spears to invoke an Evangelion made from imagination from an object left behind by the Precursors that will turn into GNR and start Instrumentality! :dunce:

Weirdly enough after a few viewings I felt that Gendo's plan ended up being pretty clear. The problem IMO is they explained it all in one fat chunk so you have to rewind and break it down to actually understand.
If other viewers were like me on my first viewing they probably just threw their hands up and said "F*** it" after two seconds of Gendo talking about Eva Imaginary.

Gendo's Glasses
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo's Glasses » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:02 am

View Original PostZoop wrote:My biggest gripe with Gendo's seeming omniscience is before all this. Indeed, he says a lot that everything is going as planned, but seems frustrated when 01 refuses the dummy plug, but then a few scenes later it's again according to plan how Rei and Shinji together could awaken 01 ...

It's especially frustrating given that 2.22 features Gendo altering and accelerating his plans given the existence of Mark Six, which was unknown to him. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the final film is the suggestion that everything was part of Gendo's big amazing plan when films two and three had made it quite clear that wasn't the case. Gendo didn't have a master plan, he was just fantastic at improvising towards his goals.

See also how the Impacts in Thrice were all seemingly signposts along the route of the plan. I really like Thrice but it's hard for me to see it as the final Rebuild film instead of the Last Evangelion Film (hence 3.0+1.0 and not 4.44, I guess) simply because of how much it changes.

Axx°N N.
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Axx°N N. » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:29 am

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:It's especially frustrating given that 2.22 features Gendo altering and accelerating his plans given the existence of Mark Six, which was unknown to him. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the final film is the suggestion that everything was part of Gendo's big amazing plan when films two and three had made it quite clear that wasn't the case. Gendo didn't have a master plan, he was just fantastic at improvising towards his goals.

See also how the Impacts in Thrice were all seemingly signposts along the route of the plan. I really like Thrice but it's hard for me to see it as the final Rebuild film instead of the Last Evangelion Film (hence 3.0+1.0 and not 4.44, I guess) simply because of how much it changes.

Totally agree. I think I said in another thread how much I would have preferred his characterization to be informed by this improvisation. As is, he's so panfaced that he has about as much personality as the Seele monoliths--a Gendo who wore on his sleeve more of his stubbornness, desperation, and ruthlessness could have been way more compelling, in addition to not feeling like a headscratcher retcon.
Après moi le déluge!

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:38 pm

View Original PostGendo's Glasses wrote:It's especially frustrating given that 2.22 features Gendo altering and accelerating his plans given the existence of Mark Six, which was unknown to him. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the final film is the suggestion that everything was part of Gendo's big amazing plan when films two and three had made it quite clear that wasn't the case. Gendo didn't have a master plan, he was just fantastic at improvising towards his goals.

Honestly, I don't see the contradiction. I mean, 2.0 and 3.0 also imply that everything goes according to Gendo's plan at the end.

Of course, Gendo wasn't in total control of the situation, because he had to face SEELE and other problems. So, Gendo had to make extremely risky decisions in previous films (and in 3.0+1.0 too).

However, in 2.0 and 3.0, Gendo was lucky and everything ended in the direction he needed for his plans.

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:09 pm

There's some confusing elements to the role of Mark 6 and its convenient arrival at the end of Evangelion 2.22, with the possibility that Kaworu was ordained to prevent the impact from triggering fully. This leads to several interesting followup events, where Lilith is first decapitated and left in a state of dormancy for 14 years before Shinji wakes up, just so that he and Kaworu can further desecrate its corpse, causing its remnants to explode. As mentioned before, Gendo's poker face during this process makes it difficult to ascertain whether this was actually intended or was actually a setback in his plans. The concept of Eva imaginary does lend to the idea that a new Lilith is needed, somehow created from the imagination, that doesn't necessarily bring about man's extinction but creating a reality where he can meet Yui again.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

sithsauron
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby sithsauron » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:29 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original PostGendo's Glasses#932549 wrote:It's especially frustrating given that 2.22 features Gendo altering and accelerating his plans given the existence of Mark Six, which was unknown to him. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the final film is the suggestion that everything was part of Gendo's big amazing plan when films two and three had made it quite clear that wasn't the case. Gendo didn't have a master plan, he was just fantastic at improvising towards his goals.

Honestly, I don't see the contradiction. I mean, 2.0 and 3.0 also imply that everything goes according to Gendo's plan at the end.

Of course, Gendo wasn't in total control of the situation, because he had to face SEELE and other problems. So, Gendo had to make extremely risky decisions in previous films (and in 3.0+1.0 too).

However, in 2.0 and 3.0, Gendo was lucky and everything ended in the direction he needed for his plans.

I think with Gendo's plan in 2.0 it went according to what he knew was in the Dead Sea Scrolls, however I think Seele had additional scrolls hidden from Gendo and Gendo may or may have not started to realize this. After the credits of 2.0 it shows a brief glimpse of Gendo and Fuyutsuki in winter clothes and climbing mountains, supposedly exiled from Nerve for what they had done. They could also have been searching and excavating for additional Dead Sea Scrolls that were yet to be found by Seele, so they could try once again to manipulate the future to their own purposes. Appropriating new unfound Dead Sea Apocrypha is the only way I could think they could get ahead of the game again in the stretch between 2.0 and 3.0. Or perhaps after every impact, new dead sea scrolls are generated and spread across the world in the explosion.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:37 pm

View Original Postdzzthink wrote:There's some confusing elements to the role of Mark 6 and its convenient arrival at the end of Evangelion 2.22, with the possibility that Kaworu was ordained to prevent the impact from triggering fully. This leads to several interesting followup events, where Lilith is first decapitated and left in a state of dormancy for 14 years before Shinji wakes up, just so that he and Kaworu can further desecrate its corpse, causing its remnants to explode. As mentioned before, Gendo's poker face during this process makes it difficult to ascertain whether this was actually intended or was actually a setback in his plans. The concept of Eva imaginary does lend to the idea that a new Lilith is needed, somehow created from the imagination, that doesn't necessarily bring about man's extinction but creating a reality where he can meet Yui again.

The Third Impact in 2.0 was totally uncontrollable and was going to destroy all life. Even SEELE don't want that (they want a Third Impact they could control), because they couldn't continue their plans to "purify" the souls.

I suspect Kaworu with Mark-06 was sent to stop the 10th Angel. The journey between the Moon and the Earth had to take a while, so SEELE wouldn't know about Shinji starting the Third Impact when Kaworu was sent.

The Fourth Impact in 3.0 was the last step for SEELE's plan, since this will "purify" the souls. However, Gendo wants this Fourth Impact to be stopped, since he wouldn't have the necessary elements for his Additional Impact at that point.

In Gendo's case, the Fourth Impact in 3.0 was just an extremely risky plan to get rid of SEELE and the awakening of Eva-13.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:52 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:I suspect Kaworu with Mark-06 was sent to stop the 10th Angel. The journey between the Moon and the Earth had to take a while, so SEELE wouldn't know about Shinji starting the Third Impact when Kaworu was sent.

This is tricky. Moon to Earth transit time on a 1-g brachistochrone is apparently only a few hours (much faster than the Apollo missions, which took a couple of days to cover the same distance), but whether you assume Mark 06 left the moon 1) when the 10th Angel was spotted or 2) later when the impending Impact was apparent, the timeline is still crazy-tight. The whole 10th Angel encounter takes only 20 minutes screen time which can't be more than an hour of real time experienced by the characters.

It's easier for me to just believe that Mark 06 was dispatched from the moon even before the appearance of the 10th Angel, according to some Dead Sea Scroll forecast, and with the Spear of Cassius in knowledge that an Impact would need stopping.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”