Was there any indication of how Yui felt about Rei?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
PSIWasHere
Embryo

Was there any indication of how Yui felt about Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 am

I'm certain that there was little to no context of how Yui felt about Rei existing for obvious reasons, but surrounding NGE as a whole, we're we ever given any hints or ideas as to Yui's connection to Rei and how the two felt about their familial connection to one another?

I bring this up because the thought sort of irked me while reading the manga and I considered the possibilities of it, just something that may or may not have had even the smallest of attention during writing, not to say I'm partial to the idea or against it, just curious.
Last edited by PSIWasHere on Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:)

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Was there any indication of how Yui felt about Rei?

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 pm

Far as the anime is concerned, I’m pretty sure there were no Reis around while Yui was still alive. Or at the very least, there’s no evidence to suggest that might be the case.

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:10 am

View Original PostArcher wrote:Far as the anime is concerned, I’m pretty sure there were no Reis around while Yui was still alive. Or at the very least, there’s no evidence to suggest that might be the case.

That is certain, I just mean if there was anything that was touched on pre-creation or post, doesn't even have to be from the anime really, just anything interesting concerning it.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:55 am

When Rei tried to pilot unit 01 to save the world from zeruel because Shinji resigned, we see her getting a gut punch like reaction, So theirs that.

The manga actualy has Rei talking to Yui (to get Shinji back in volume 8). Yui isn't exactly nice here either "pourquoi t'interposes tu". It's sort of funny because Yui sort of walks around in Rei's skinsuit in the scenes (to trick Shinji into staying). NGE makes the height of the characters much shorter compared to adults So it's not her own form it's Rei's with Yui only popping up when Shinji closes his eyes however when Rei pops ups.
Yui might be "?embaressed?" dressing up like Rei and her skin sort of melts of.

So yeah anime, communicates with gut punches
Manga, Ignoring her most of the time and being rude if it can't be avoided whilst occasionaly pretend to be her by wearing a Rei skinsuit.

It's funny that the movies long haired hair Rei has little in commen with the angel like appearance that Yui has troughtout both the anime and manga (the one that looks a bid like a glowing vague Misato)

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:46 am

I actually didn't expect many answers concerning this topic, so thanks for giving some examples. For clarification, the manga you speak of is the SIRP, correct? Or something other?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:05 pm

"The manga" refers (as usual when unqualified) to Sadamoto's manga which was started in parallel with the anime, and mostly follows the anime story (until near the end).

Specifically, Rei and Yui talk in Stage 51 on page 244-5 (in the triple edition).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Oh wow, the place I was reading from must've not had those particular panels at the start with Rei, or perhaps I overlooked it, I was incredibly sick while reading it at the time so that may have had something to do with my memory, very interesting too.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:36 pm

Well Sadamoto's manga is certainly worth a read, if you are unfamiliar and like neon genesis evangelion

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:31 pm

I was actually beginning to write something of a comparison piece between both the Anime and Manga, because I vastly preferred the Anime as many do and I wanted to give some reasoning as to why, never did continue it as I eventually felt less confident in my reasoning. Despite my very minor issues with it, I think it's something that an Evangelion fan should read for the sake of just reading it.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:00 pm

You can post that comparison piece if you like,
however in all fairness it's best to have seen/read both pieces before you do so.

I sort of believe Sadamoto's alternative take leaving out many of the angels higher focus on the characters small alterations might of actualy have inspired the whole rebuild concept.
That said Anno alternative ending (the end of evangelion movie) predates the conclusion of the manga.but given the title you can sort of imagen that he wanted to end it then. This to me is odd because it's release in (july) 1997 was followed by the release of the 4th manga (october) 1997.

What is funny is that the first 3 manga novels are very similar to the series (except for the chapters released before the anime with Rei battling Sachiel the 4 the angel inside unit 01). But like stated those where released before the anime.

Starting volume 4 we have a odd alternative introduction of Asuka and I kid you not gaghiel is beaten in 7 pages and only apears in 4 panels. The manga focusses far more on the characters then the anime could, and it somewhat keeps the weirder elements at bay.

On a sidenote it was Sadamoto who designed the look of the eva characters but also their personality (this wasn't anno). (Him suggeting to make Asuka a boy was when anno was still insisting to make Shinji a girl)
Last edited by orcot on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PSIWasHere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PSIWasHere » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:38 pm

The manga focuses on the characters in a more blunt fashion, I would say, the anime itself feels far more nuanced.

The differences are fascinating, I think if it was primarily just a retelling of NGE in manga format I wouldn't have read it, even if Sadamoto's artwork is phenomenal throughout, probably because I'd feel it inferior. While it was still enjoyable because of the differences, I'd be lying if I said I preferred them. The differences are mainly where the drive to write came from, It got me thinking about not only the themes and story changes and how they affected the narrative entirely, but adaptations of Anime and Manga as a whole and why I feel that something is lost in translation when a property is adapted even on the micro.

Arbitrary numbers could never encapsulate my feelings on it, but as a basis to explore said feelings, I understand their importance, I gave it an 8/10. I wonder If I would've liked it more if the Anime never existed? In an alternate time maybe that is so, least I can do now is try to explain why I feel as such.

Anyway, if there is any more related to the possible conversations of Yui and Rei, even if I assume they are in extremely small numbers considering the circumstances, don't hesitate to send.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”