The Advanced Ayanami Series

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Raikyu
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: The Advanced Ayanami Series

•      
  •      

Postby Raikyu » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:34 am

Or maybe there is something on their brains suppressing their memories. Even in the original NGE, Rei doesn't seem to remember her life as Lilith.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a scene in Q, where Rei Q has a vision of Rei II. This could prove that she can access some of her memories or that at least they are indeed linked.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:36 am

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:Either way, if it's just one soul that is shared among all the Ayanami clones, they are essentially the same person, but with different memories (brains), now unified/consolidated. I think Kaworu's line when approaching Dogma.

I definitely agree that Rei II and Rei Q has the same soul (although this is outside Rei Q's body). Also, Rei II seems to have the memories of Rei Q.

However, it is still implied that Rei II and Rei Q are different people (each with their own personal conflicts). That's why Rei II still doesn't have her own place during the Instrumentality, although Rei Q had found hers.

In fact, Rei's voice actress has said that Rei Q and Rei II are different people (even if both are Rei Ayanami). She need to give a slightly different tone of voice to Rei Q.

writer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby writer » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:43 pm

It could be that the Advanced series doesn't use the same genetic material; instead of cloning Yui they are cloning Rei, which could after iterations remove that which is Yui and only impart that which is Rei. Beyond human interaction, she is nothing but a hardened soldier. The main difference I think is the body style; the "classic" Rei was used only to manipulate Shinji. The Advanced Rei's had likely been in development for a while but were not used until the end because, at that stage, they'd never interact with a human or, specifically, Shinji. It also could be that they were not implanted with the same psychological "You must love Shinji" programming, which would make them soulles in terms of humanity, only serving as pure soldiers.
Shinji did nothing wrong!

x7x7x7
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby x7x7x7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:15 am

What happened to Rei in the end? I guess another clone was made, but how though, considering Gendo is no more?

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:01 am

View Original Postx7x7x7 wrote:What happened to Rei in the end? I guess another clone was made, but how though, considering Gendo is no more?

Ayanami clones die without LCL baths, so it couldn't be so simple like another clone.

I guess there is possible Shinji creates a new human body for Rei (and Kaworu).

We are disccusing more theories in this thread: thread/20997/The-Last-Train-Station-Scene/

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:48 am

If Asuka could return as a normal human it stands to reason that the other two can do the same, esp. since Asuka was also artificial this time around.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:24 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If Asuka could return as a normal human it stands to reason that the other two can do the same, esp. since Asuka was also artificial this time around.

Yeah. Rei and Kaworu getting new human bodies isn't so difficult to imagine.

The weird thing is that we've never see them return to Earth. Instead, we directly see how Asuka is launch to the Earth in Entry plug.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:33 am

I imagine it would be redundant.

Besides, they show up in the last scene in normal street clothes next to Asuka, so we do get some confirmation that they're gonna be fine in that way (Conversely, Asuka is just off to the side since we already got prior conversation that she's made it out, but then a lot of ppl missed her on their first viewing so maybe she should've been more conspicuous)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

x7x7x7
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby x7x7x7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original PostKonja7 wrote:
View Original Postx7x7x7#929062 wrote:What happened to Rei in the end? I guess another clone was made, but how though, considering Gendo is no more?

Ayanami clones die without LCL baths, so it couldn't be so simple like another clone.

I guess there is possible Shinji creates a new human body for Rei (and Kaworu).

We are disccusing more theories in this thread: thread/20997/The-Last-Train-Station-Scene/

I was referring to the long haired Rei that we see in the Anti-Universe i assume. Is it just the imagination of Shinji?

RussianRiz
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RussianRiz » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:41 pm

View Original Postx7x7x7 wrote: I was referring to the long haired Rei that we see in the Anti-Universe i assume. Is it just the imagination of Shinji?

That's Ayanami from the second movie. Her soul was inside Eva-01 since then.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:42 pm

View Original Postx7x7x7 wrote:I was referring to the long haired Rei that we see in the Anti-Universe i assume. Is it just the imagination of Shinji?

I wasn't clear. I understand that you mean long haired Rei (Rei II). My point was that she couldn't just use another Ayanami clone body, because these won't survive.

In itself, Shinji has the Instrumentality power, so it shouldn't be difficult to give Rei (and Kaworu) new human bodies.

Still, if it is unclear if the epilogue is happening in a totally new world or the Eva world.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 am

Idle observation on this topic:

The only times we see a group of Ayanamis on-screen in the rebuilds are here in 3+1:

And here in 2.0's Q preview:

Both a group of four in a purple room. Don't know what to make of it, but it can't be a coincidence.

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:09 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:And here in 2.0's Q preview:

Both a group of four in a purple room. Don't know what to make of it, but it can't be a coincidence.

there is a theory about how Asuka has memories of Shinji with his family when she was little and that her "original" exists within unit 13 despite being another clone like her. It is possible that this Rei that we are seeing is the "original" Ayanami of which mari speaks during the battle in the central dogma in 3.0
also the advanced Ayanami series that we see in 3.0 + 1.0 is said to be the resurrection of the previous Ayanami series. which implies that that group of 4 Rei that we see ended up dead shortly after the N3I or during the third real impact.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”