Possibility of a Funimation Redub of 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FryMeTuhDehMuhn
Adam

Possibility of a Funimation Redub of 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby FryMeTuhDehMuhn » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:43 am

Seeing as it's not very often that Prime Video releases its content on home video, I was wondering how likely people thought it would be that Funimation would acquire the home video rights to 3.0+1.0, and produce a full redub using the cast previously used for the first 3 rebuild films (So Trina Nishimura for Mari instead of Deneen Melody, for instance). I know that there were problems with 3.0, but despite those issues Funimation were still given the rights to Shin Godzilla after that whole debacle, so do we think there is a chance that Funi could get 3.0+1.0 and redub?
wait waht

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: Possibility of a Funimation Redub of 3.0+1.0

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:22 am

I'm kinda leaning towards no, but I could be wrong after all. Especially after Kahara and DB admitted to not being happy with how the Amazon dubs turned out.

I feel that dub quality wise, Khara and Funi would still run into issues specifically with Kanemitsu's approach to scripting and the end product (IMO) measuring up poorly in ways. I felt this problem with even Funi's 3.0 re-dub, and sadly from what I've viewed the Amazon dubs haven't changed my impression unfortunately.

Would REALLY suck losing Daman Mills though (easily the best Kaworu since Akira Ishida).

mastafishere
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby mastafishere » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:38 am

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:I'm kinda leaning towards no, but I could be wrong after all. Especially after Kahara and DB admitted to not being happy with how the Amazon dubs turned out.

Not that I don't believe you, but could I see a source on this? I hadn't heard this.

Also, who is DB?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:22 am

Zero chance. Funimation is out of the Eva game. Their absolute social media silence when 3.0+1.0 was coming out & being unable to acquire NGE confirms that.
Shin Godzilla isn't owned by Khara so that's likely why it has remained with Funimation.

A physical media release of 3.0+1.0 will happen it's just a question of when. It's unlikely Amazon Prime owns the Evangelion Rebuilds. Khara has no incentive to sell the rights out in total. Amazon has an exclusivity on streaming rights and I wouldn't be surprised if that remains the case forever. I wouldn't expect to see the Rebuilds ever show up on Netflix or Crunchyroll. Amazon likely has a window of exclusivity as well so for six months to a year there can be no disc release of the film anywhere in the world. The absolute silence of any announcement regarding a Japanese bluray of 3.0+1.0 at the moment kinda gives that some validity.

A redub could happen if Khara is unimpressed with what Amazon did buuuuuut I doubt Funimation will be involved.

The likeliest scenario is all the various world distributors who are putting out NGE Boxsets this year - GKids, All the Anime, Dynit, etc - and have already established relationships with Khara in the process of this release have already acquired or will be offered first bid to the disc rights for the Rebuilds & 3.0+1.0.

In an ideal world I'd love to see the NGE Boxsets come out this Nov/Dec and then Rebuild boxsets come out Nov/Dec 2022 but we don't live in an ideal world....

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:50 pm

A redub should happen. Through no fault of the performers the Amazon dub is pretty shonky due to a set-up more akin to how DBZ: Abridged is put together with voice actors performing remotely around and even outside the US.

Though I don't see anyone stumping up the cash to (say) ship Spike Spencer across half the planet to retouch some of Shinji's lines. AGAIN.
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:27 pm

View Original Postmastafishere wrote:
View Original PostWunderBah#931992 wrote:I'm kinda leaning towards no, but I could be wrong after all. Especially after Kahara and DB admitted to not being happy with how the Amazon dubs turned out.

Not that I don't believe you, but could I see a source on this? I hadn't heard this.

Here: post/931202/Amazon-Primes-English-Dub-General/#931202

Also, who is DB?

Dubbing Brothers

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”