Evangelion's Timeline Dates & Speculation

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
SuperSandwichGoku
Embryo

Evangelion's Timeline Dates & Speculation

•      
  •      

Postby SuperSandwichGoku » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:50 pm

Hello, first of all, this is the first topic I've made here.

I know there have been years of discussions about Evangelion's timeline. I've seen both the dates in the draft script for episode 4, and the dates in Rei Ayanami Raising Project.

However, the only pieces of information I recall getting in the show and EoE are:

The general timeframe of the sign in episode 2, placing episodes 1 and 2 in August 2015 at the latest. Up to interpretation based on how close construction was to completion though, it could be any time from January to August theoretically.

Also in episode 2 Gendo stated that Rei would be out of the hospital in 20 days.

Asuka's first day at school at the end of episode 8, and the most specific date given, as September 21st. Below the day supposedly even specifies Monday, which coincidence or not was the same for real-world 2015. I have not seen people talking about the day though so correct me if I'm wrong.

The re-match against Israfel taking place on a Friday 11th of an unspecified month, which can't be September given above. I assume October given the remains of Ramiel are still shown earlier in this episode.

Shinji's 30-day stint in Unit-01 in Episode 20.

And finally, Maya's laptop confirming that the events of EoE still take place in 2015.

The Evageeks wiki page here supposedly states that episodes 25 and 26 take place in 2016, presumably New Years' Eve/Day, but I might've missed it if this was the case.

The second and third points alone make it impossible to take place in 2015 with the real-world calendar system, given the 11th of October was a Sunday, and if it was December 11th it's impossible for the rest of the series to still take place before 2016. To make the October 11th date work, September would have to be 28 days.

I could end the discussion here technically, but now I want to speculate on what it would take to make this possible in-universe. The first thing that comes to mind is that Second Impact changed the axis so Japan was in eternal summer, so maybe it could have also changed Earth's orbital period, and the calendar for the years post Second Impact were changed to reflect this.

I thought about up with a modified calendar for fun, but if one cared about accuracy to when the previous years started and ended it would probably take a while, much less guessing specific days when major events like angel attacks happened. If I ever made some kind of fanwork where that would be important I'd probably just skip the hassle and use the Rei Ayanami project dates honestly.

Overall it's crazy that the main events of the series could have taken place over 4-5 months or so. Asuka's complaint in Magma Diver about not being able to find out when the Angels will attack is slightly less believable in my opinion, considering the average would probably be every 2 weeks or even less lol.

Erufailon4
Embryo

Re: Evangelion's Timeline Dates & Speculation

•      
  •      

Postby Erufailon4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:28 am

View Original PostSuperSandwichGoku wrote:The Evageeks wiki page here supposedly states that episodes 25 and 26 take place in 2016, presumably New Years' Eve/Day, but I might've missed it if this was the case.

Instrumentality taking place in 2016 is only ever mentioned in-series in one telop, right at the beginning of episode 26. Since the EoE shot you mentioned is before Instrumentality and the 26 telop is during Instrumentality, the only plausible in-universe explanation I can see is that Instrumentality simply took so much time that it lasted into the next year. (As for out-of-universe reasons... well, it's known that Eva's not immune to continuity errors.)

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:38 pm

View Original PostSuperSandwichGoku wrote:The re-match against Israfel taking place on a Friday 11th of an unspecified month, which can't be September given above. I assume October given the remains of Ramiel are still shown earlier in this episode.

If this can't be September because it discounts the previous date, then it can only be December, which discounts everything after.

I wouldn't pay attention to dates. Often times I would expect them to be flip through their own 1995/1996 calendars and just reference what's there.

SuperSandwichGoku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperSandwichGoku » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:44 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:
SPOILER: Show
View Original PostSuperSandwichGoku#931789 wrote:The re-match against Israfel taking place on a Friday 11th of an unspecified month, which can't be September given above. I assume October given the remains of Ramiel are still shown earlier in this episode.

If this can't be September because it discounts the previous date, then it can only be December, which discounts everything after.

I wouldn't pay attention to dates. Often times I would expect them to be flip through their own 1995/1996 calendars and just reference what's there.

Yeah that's fair, it seems like it's pretty much impossible unless you disregard one of the dates or change the calendar altogether. It was mostly just for fun speculation. I never thought of using the 1995 or 1996 calendar but that makes sense considering the scrapped dates for Episode 4 lineup also included the days of the week, which lined up with July 1995.
Day b+2 - Saturday, 7-15-2015

Day b+3 - Sunday, 7-16-2015

Day b+4 - Monday, 7-17-2015
Night in the movie theater.

Day b+5 - Tuesday, 7-18-2015
Night in Kensuke’s camp.
Episode 4 ends.

View Original PostErufailon4 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
View Original PostSuperSandwichGoku#931789 wrote:The Evageeks wiki page here supposedly states that episodes 25 and 26 take place in 2016, presumably New Years' Eve/Day, but I might've missed it if this was the case.

Instrumentality taking place in 2016 is only ever mentioned in-series in one telop, right at the beginning of episode 26. Since the EoE shot you mentioned is before Instrumentality and the 26 telop is during Instrumentality, the only plausible in-universe explanation I can see is that Instrumentality simply took so much time that it lasted into the next year. (As for out-of-universe reasons... well, it's known that Eva's not immune to continuity errors.)

My interpretation was that EoE before Third Impact was New Year's Eve, but like you said it could have just taken a long time.

Do not double post, unless it's necessary. And do not quote an entire post, please – JoelcrNeto

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:06 pm

Yeah, between Asuka apparently arriving in Tokyo-3 on the 21st of September per the chalkboard, EoE taking place still in 2015, and Shinji spending 30 days in Unit-01's core, that gives us 3 months and 10 days to go through all of the Angels. So they basically are fighting an Angel once every 10 days, which does not seem right, timeline-wise?

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:41 pm

View Original PostThuktun Flishithy wrote:So they basically are fighting an Angel once every 10 days, which does not seem right, timeline-wise?

But it's quite close to literally being "Monster of the Week"! :D

SuperSandwichGoku
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SuperSandwichGoku » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:43 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:But it's quite close to literally being "Monster of the Week"! :D

Yeah it seems like it lol

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”