I don’t understand when Third Impact Occurred?!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: I don’t understand when Third Impact Occurred?!

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:53 pm

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:Thank you, this seems like a good argument that Unit 01 does not continue Third Impacting after Cassius is removed. But does the same reasoning extend to Unit 13 in 3.33? There, we see Unit 13 Fourth Impacting without being driven by either pilot's will and without apparently being autonomous like Mark 06 (to my knowledge Mark 06's autonomy never has visual evidence; it's instead established only in dialogue) or being programmed like Mark 09 (where we see Rei-Q losing control as the Seele symbol is displayed in her plug). If Unit 13 can Impact against such reasoning then I think the argument against Unit 01 impacting "on its own" is a bit weaker.

I don't have an explanation for that beyond narrative since 13 is clearly acting autonomously in Shin against Asuka and before Gendo enters. Whether it being a confirmed Adams and/or hosting an increasingly large number of souls (including a Shikinami original, who have been suggested to be as programmable as the Ayanami series) it makes it a somewhat unique case in comparison to 01 and 06.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:23 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:I don't have an explanation for that beyond narrative since 13 is clearly acting autonomously in Shin against Asuka and before Gendo enters. Whether it being a confirmed Adams and/or hosting an increasingly large number of souls (including a Shikinami original, who have been suggested to be as programmable as the Ayanami series) it makes it a somewhat unique case in comparison to 01 and 06.

Yamashita has mentioned in twitter that the "pilot" of Eva-13 in 3.0+1.0 is the souless death body of Kaworu. Of course, as the body has no soul inside, this is basically a "Dummy Plug".

Kaworu's soul is trapped inside Eva-13, but his soul isn't inside his body anymore.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:39 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:I generally have difficulty reconciling what a potentially limbless Eva-01[...]

Has anyone thought out any theories of how/when did Eva-01 loose the remaining limbs?

At the end of 2.0, it had only lost it's left arm...

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:51 pm

I posit that Fuyutsuki personally sawed off Unit 01's remaining limbs to make it fit into the tesseract. ^_^

The18°angel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The18°angel » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:58 pm

I thought it had been WILLE who cut the members of unit 01 so that it could be used as a source of power in the wunder

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:27 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:
View Original PostSzmitten#931928 wrote:I generally have difficulty reconciling what a potentially limbless Eva-01[...]

Has anyone thought out any theories of how/when did Eva-01 loose the remaining limbs?

At the end of 2.0, it had only lost it's left arm...

Could be cannibalised for Eva parts, could be a measure of immobilising it in case it reawoke, limbs could have merged with the ground after coreification and snapped off. It really could be anything. The Vessels seem to fit into their respective ships whole and fine.

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 pm

View Original PostSzmitten wrote:Could be cannibalised for Eva parts, could be a measure of immobilising it in case it reawoke, limbs could have merged with the ground after coreification and snapped off. It really could be anything. The Vessels seem to fit into their respective ships whole and fine.

The "immobilizing" one wouldn't make much sense that it effortlessly materialized a left arm out of AT-Field the first time in awakened, and kicked some serious ass with it :D

Mark 6
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mark 6 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:03 am

View Original Postnerv bae wrote:
View Original PostMark 6#931919 wrote:The last connection between Lilith's awakening in relation to Unit 1's own, is that quick glimpse we got in Thrice of Eva Mark 6 beheading Lilith with the Spear of Cassius.

3) I do not see the Spear of Cassius in this picture of the beheading scene. Is it in there somewhere and I just missed it; do we have other evidence that Cassius has been removed from Eva-01 as of the beheading scene?

I apologize for this, I could have sworn I remember seeing the Mark 6 holding the Spear of Cassius in it's other hand. I've watched the movie only twice I'm ashamed to admit. I'll go and watch it again before posting and adding misinformation :sniffle:

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:27 am

View Original PostMark 6 wrote:
View Original Postnerv bae#931925 wrote:

3) I do not see the Spear of Cassius in this picture of the beheading scene. Is it in there somewhere and I just missed it; do we have other evidence that Cassius has been removed from Eva-01 as of the beheading scene?

I apologize for this, I could have sworn I remember seeing the Mark 6 holding the Spear of Cassius in it's other hand. I've watched the movie only twice I'm ashamed to admit. I'll go and watch it again before posting and adding misinformation :sniffle:

A lot of people swear Mark.06 is carrying Cassius down into Dogma in 2.0's preview of 3.0 so I wouldn't worry lol.

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:59 am

Interesting, I don't see Cassius there either. I was just reading posts over here about how people thought Lilith's head had already grown Rei hair in the decapitation scene. So many phantoms in people's memories!

DantesInferno
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby DantesInferno » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:51 pm

The massive white halo in the decapitation scene… Do you guys believe it’s Lilith’s, or Mark.06’s?

The size seems to suggest Lilith, and the color isn’t very consistent with Mark.06…

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:10 pm

View Original PostDantesInferno wrote:The massive white halo in the decapitation scene… Do you guys believe it’s Lilith’s, or Mark.06’s?

The size seems to suggest Lilith, and the color isn’t very consistent with Mark.06…

Mark.06's Pseudo-Evolution halo.

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:56 pm

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:pregnancy symptoms can appear in the first month (unless Misato has taken a pregnancy test)

This took me a while to work out a timeline because Ritsuko referenced that Misato was aware she was pregnant when Kaji died. I initially thought it must have happened the night they were out for dinner together, but she would have already been knocked up by then because the impact happened less than a week later (she was obviously unaware as she was rather drunk). I'd missed the hint that the day Kaji approached her in the cafeteria is the day they got back together.

I believe that she found out she was expecting a Kaji jr whilst receiving treatment for her injuries, so the next time we see her after the incident she's trying to find the words to ask Shinji to stay and join her family, reaches for his hand and is left rejected at the door (this scene is so much sadder now). :sniffle:
Maybe in 3.0, she's rejecting him in return.

View Original PostThe18°angel wrote:assuming that Misato only had a bone fissure in her injured arm, the fastest it can heal is 20 days(in the anime after 30 days she no longer her injure).

I'm inclined to believe that the absence of her injury was an oversight because Kensuke stated that Kaji sacrificed his life to stop the N3I, not 3I, which would imply that Kaji's death followed on from the ending of 2.0.

General response to the early discussion in the thread;

Kaworu and Kaji appear to have stopped N3I together as it's a two part process (as learned from the N4I);
1. Disable the trigger with a spear (Kaworu)
2. Close the gate behind you (Kaji's soul)

It could have been any amount of time between N3I and 3I (could be days or months). At some point in time, Misato and Ritsuko committed mutiny on NERV and took everything (including the MAGI).
The final straw?
Evidence suggests that the real 3I was Gendo's fault for tampering, thus wasting Kaji's sacrifice.
To Misato, this would be an act of war.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:05 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I'm inclined to believe that the absence of her injury was an oversight because Kensuke stated that Kaji sacrificed his life to stop the N3I, not 3I, which would imply that Kaji's death followed on from the ending of 2.0.

No. Kensuke says Kaji sacrificed his life to stop the Third Impact in the original. Curiously, this is the only time Kensuke mentioned the Third Impact.

So, Kaji and Misato have the weeks or months between the N3I and the Third Impact to conceive Kaji Jr.

PS: There are some dubs and subs where it's said that Kaji sacrificed to stop the N3I, but this was a big mistake.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:15 pm

N3I led directly into 3I. The reason Kaji sacrificed himself was because Cassius wasn't enough. It's likely that the time difference wasn't a matter of months, but rather one of weeks or even just days.

No idea what you mean with the second thing; but generally, the Prime subs should be the only one considered for the actual meaning, as those to my knowledge are the only ones done in-house by Khara.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:40 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:No idea what you mean with the second thing; but generally, the Prime subs should be the only one considered for the actual meaning, as those to my knowledge are the only ones done in-house by Khara.

In the Latin America Spanish dub (and sub), Kensuke says Kaji sacrificed to stop the Near Third Impact.

However, in the Japanese original and English sub/dub, Kensuke says that Kaji sacrificed to stop the Third Impact. This is the correct version.

PS: I should mention that Prime subs have some mistakes.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:59 pm

Near Third Impact and Third Impact proper are effectively the same thing.
N3I directly led to 3I, because Cassius could not stop it, only delay it by an unspecified amount of time
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:34 pm

Konja7 wrote:In the Latin America Spanish dub (and sub), Kensuke says Kaji sacrificed to stop the Near Third Impact.

My bad, this may be one of the scenes I referenced from an online video with subs on and sound off (I'm too lazy the fast forward through the actual film). Maybe it was the Spanish dub. :bigeyes:

I may have got a tad carried away trying apply the rules of N4I to N3I.

Konja7
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Konja7 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:18 am

View Original PostAWinters wrote:I may have got a tad carried away trying apply the rules of N4I to N3I.

To be clear, it's still implied that the Third Impact is a continuation of the N3I. We don't exactly know the connection, but N3I seems to be the trigger for the Third Impact.

I just want to clarify the issue with the dub and sub.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”