METROID DREAD

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

METROID DREAD

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Honestly, I don't even know what to say. I don't even know if there are any Metroid fans here. All I know is I'm so damn happy. It's unbelievable! They are bringing Dread back from the dead! I've always wondered how that game would turn out to be! It's literally the lost installment in one of my favorite Nintendo series!
The coolest part is that, according to Yoshio Sakamoto, they are not simply recycling the name of a canceled project. The game we see today results from the concept he conceived 15 years ago, but wasn't able to implement (due to hardware limitations). The whole thing just looks amazing. I loved Samus' new abilities (especially the "spider one") and E.M.M.I looks menacing as all hell! I can't wait to see all the nuances it's going to bring in terms of gameplay. Speaking of which, it seems to be fast and there is a big focus on using your powers in conjunction with the environment to hide and attack! This game is supposed to be the end of Metroid's main storyline as well! It honestly feels like it was built to be a "celebration" of sorts.
I'm more hyped for Breath of the Wild's sequel and how it's going to expand on its predecessor's scope (by introducing new abilities and exploring Hyrule's sky), but Metroid Dread stole the show for me.

Here is a nice little video of it: https://youtu.be/afUI8nIrGgI
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

Re: METROID DREAD

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 am

Yeah I just assumed Dread has been a dead project for like well over a decade at this point. Its cool that we'll be getting it after all in some form.

I just hope "Nintendo fans" actually buy it. They won't of course, IIRC Samus Returns sold poorly, but I shall foolishly hope so anyways.

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:41 pm

Wait, "Nintendo fans" actually buying a Metroid game? Is that even possible? lol
Jokes aside, I believe that this is going to be the best selling 2D Metroid game of all time. Am I naive? Probably. However, think about it. This game will come out to Switch. This system is known for having a user base that actually buys games. Even Pikmin (one of my favorites) sold considerably on the console. With Nintendo placing it as their big holiday title, who knows what will happen?
Who am I kidding? It's probably not going to be a hit (especially in Japan). But, hey. If this is the last Metroid 2D game, at least it's the last chapter in the series' story. Hey?
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:32 pm

One really interesting thing I noticed is that EMMI units when in search mode seem to make a sound similar to the bleeps and bloops heard in the Metroid 2 track Caverns 1. Which I would just chalk up to a coincidence if those exact same beep boop noises weren't also in the Samus Returns version. Here's a direct comparison, I'm pretty sure it's the same sound just pitched differently and played in a different sequence.
Samus Returns' version of Caverns 1: https://youtu.be/1tzadS9YEyo
EMMI search mode sfx: https://youtu.be/oNKwcsnuP9E?t=974
Now this, on top of the living Chozo seen for one frame in the trailer, AND EMMI being described as research robots who primarily seek out and sample DNA [which is a VERY Chozo thing to do], make me think that despite supposedly being Galactic Federation tech, EMMI are either directly stolen Chozo tech, or use Chozo tech in their hardware.

Samus' body contains the very last bit of Metroid remaining in the galaxy, so not only will she be hunted for the rest of her life, if she screws up and say, gets captured by a terrifying and nearly invincible drone who's sole purpose is to kill her and take that Metroid DNA, not only will she not be around to fix her mistake, but that genetic material will very likely be used by the GF to pull another fucking Metroid Other M Bottle Ship experiment where they bred ice-proof Metroids. So I have to wonder if the team will completely embrace their ALIEN references and have Samus sacrifice herself at the end of the story. This is "the last game in Samus' story" after all.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:16 pm

Wow, great catch! I can clearly hear it! I don't know how I didn't notice it initially! lol
If you think about it, Samus, in her current state, is a "fusion" between a genetically modified human, a Metroid and a X Parasite. Also, Samus was probably held responsible for what happened to B.S.L and she is aware of that. I believe she will stop being the hunter and become the hunt (hence the term "dread").
I also believe that EMMI units are Chozo creations. I'm not just saying this because of their near indestructible nature, but also for how they move and track their prey (the animation here is topnotch). That said, the Galactic Federation may have given them a "fresh coat of paint". Their white armor is not something I would expect from the Chozo. Also, they were obviously formatted to hunt Samus, in a very systematic way (probably via her "Metroid connection", as you pointed out).
As this is the last game in the Metroid storyline, I'm also expecting Samus to die heroically. We'll see.

geistygal
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby geistygal » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:57 pm

I am so fucking excited for this game. I still can't believe it's real...I mean, it's Metroid fucking DREAD.

Sadly, this comes out around the same time as Shin Megami Tensei V and FFXIV Endwalker, so...aagh!

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:47 pm

Played a bit of Dread. Had a somewhat rough time in the beginning, but overall it seems pretty decent so far now that I have a few powerups.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”